03 Waffles

Elastic Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last summer, Sehun met Seulgi.

She was a fellow dancer at the dance academy as well. Whenever she moved and swayed to the music, Sehun couldn’t stop staring. She was like fluid, like she was a part of the music that was playing as well. Her moves were gentle and enthralling, and sometimes he found himself unable to tear his stare away from her.

Sehun knew Jongin found her attractive just like he did, and considering that he had a girlfriend, he let Jongin pull a move on her. However, Jongin being the usual klutz he was around girls persuaded for Sehun to strike a conversation with Seulgi instead. And he did.

Surprisingly, Seulgi was easier to get along with than he first thought. She had a merry laugh and always laughed at Sehun’s lame jokes and puns. She had long black hair that cascaded just as beautifully whenever she danced around the studio. Her smile was infectious, and it was difficult for Sehun not to smile back whenever her lips curved upward.

At that point, Sehun felt that Saera didn’t matter, that Saera probably wasn’t as beautiful as he thought she was.

 

“So wait, let me get this straight… you used to date Saera? As in, the Saera that comes by the shop?” Suho asks. They are sitting on the bleachers of the indoor gym after a basketball game practice.

“For three years, hyung. I mean, not to sound like a , but you wouldn’t want to date Sehun’s recycles, would you?”

Sehun shoves his best friend roughly. “You are a total , Jongin,”

“Hey, don’t hit Jonginnie like that,” The towering giant Chanyeol calls out, wrapping a protective arm around Jongin’s shoulders.

Sehun doesn’t know what’s up with the two of them, but from the looks of it, Chanyeol is very, very fond of his best friend, and Sehun still can’t see why.

 

“Why did you break up with her, Sehun?”

Suho’s question gets him thinking. Why did he break up with Saera in the first place? He isn’t sure why. But he suspects it has got to do with what happened during the summer and his change of heart.

“I don’t know hyung. Sometimes humans are prone to mistakes right? We’re prone to dumb things in general,” Sehun sighs as he picks the frayed strands of his old t-shirt.

 

“Hey,” Someone outstretches his arm just to tap on his knee. Chanyeol.

“I know what they say about not getting over your exes, but honestly Sehun… if you feel that it’s a huge mistake breaking up with her, get her back. Prove to her that it was a mistake, and that she’s worth the try. That’s what a girl would want,” Chanyeol keeps solemn, pondering on his words. “If that meant I could get my girlfriend back, I wouldn’t mind going through the hardships all over again,”

Sehun stares at his big-eyed hyung. Chanyeol has always been somewhat stupid whenever he’s around them, but Sehun knows that the death of his girlfriend has matured him throughout the years. He knows a part of Chanyeol’s youth followed his girlfriend to the grave. That is the reason Sehun always trust his relationship advices compared to his other two friends.

 

“Wait, so does this mean that I’m not allowed to pursue Saera?” Suho asks sheepishly.

Jongin turns to flick the forehead of the oldest member of the group. Usually the two youngest, both Sehun and Jongin never had the privilege to overpower their hyungs, but Suho just looks depressingly submissive that he couldn’t help but snicker.

“I can’t believe you, hyung,” He complains. “Read the bro code! Bros do not date other bros’ exes,”

“Yeah man, we’re all bros here, no homo,” Chanyeol adds in.

 

It’s a beautiful Saturday morning. The trees outside are turning golden, welcoming the fall season. The sun is shining but not too hot that she has to squint her eyes whenever she walks out to rearrange the flowers on display. It’s the perfect weather to wear lightweight sweaters, and Saera finally has a reason to raid her closet for the oversized ones she loves so much.

Luhan’s still in the store, holding a sprayer can while tending to a bouquet of dahlias. He’s still giving Saera the cold shoulder for visiting the Forbidden Café (aka Beansbins aka the devil’s lair, according to him). Saera could only smile and chuckle to herself. She knows that sooner or later Luhan will give in, and strike a conversation with her.

 

Saera hums as she walks past Luhan, tapping on his shoulder jokingly. “You know, you should stop sulking. You don’t look as handsome,”

“Tcchh,” Luhan grumbles in response before setting the sprayer on the table. “I’m going to eat something at the back. Take cover at the front alright,”

Saera merely nods before sitting on the stool, resuming back to Luhan’s dahlias.

 

It’s customary and almost habitual that she greets anyone that walks through the door even if she might be occupied. It’s the common policy as emphasised by both Luhan and his own mother, and Saera holds onto that from her very first day.

“Welcome to Bloom Floral Shop!” She calls out when she hears the bells to the door dinging. She’s still busy rearranging the dahlias into a much presentable bouquet, eyebrows furrowed in concentration when the new visitor interrupts.

“You… you work here?”

 

Fate has a funny way of ing you up, they say. The more you avoid someone, the more you see that person.

 

Sehun’s mother’s birthday is coming up soon. Being in an all-male house excluding his mother, his father and his brother are not that inspirational in getting gifts for females, whatnot the queen of their hearts (Sehun at least expected better from his father considering that he has been married to that particular queen for more than twenty years).

He had a fight with his father and older brother earlier over his mother’s gifts. Mr. Oh has called dibs on a pretty bracelet he saw in Apgujeong in the other day- a cliché gift. His brother insisted that he got a crème brulee cheese cake- another cliché gift. And that leaves Sehun with the most cliché gift for a mother’s birthday- a bouquet of flowers.

He doesn’t know that many flower shops, but he did notice the fairly new florist just five minutes away from his campus. What he didn’t notice were the workers, and that Saera has been working there.

 

It’s funny how he did not notice the coincidences before. Beansbins is also about five minutes away from his campus; hence that is probably the reason why Saera keeps walking along the pavement of his workplace. Jongin did ment

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter