JI EUN

One Summer Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JI EUN

 

After bailing my best friend – and Lu Han out from the detention room we headed straight to a yogurt store just two blocks from school. It took us 20 minutes to get out from the school territory because Lu Han’s team could see him loitering around when he was supposed to be in detention. Baekhyun kept insisting us to go to the ramen shop but I told him that he’ll get another detention if Mrs. Cho finds out that they escape their suppose-to-be detention. The ramen shop is located at the other town and it won’t be easy for us to get back to school because it’s a 30 minutes bus ride. As I keep arguing with Baekhyun about whose yogurt is more delicious, his strawberry oreo or my Belgian chocolate, I notice Lu Han’s troubled face. The way his eyes soften which is glued to his yogurt, and how his hands were clasped together in front of the table. I notice how he looks like a kid watching his parents argue but I know something is troubling him so I averted my attention from Baekhyun and into Lu Han.

“Hey, Lu Han,” Saying his name felt so foreign but ecstatic.

He looked up from his yogurt, startling him from my sudden call, “Hm?”

“Something troubling you?” I ask as Baekhyun turns to him, “You haven’t said a word since we went out of the classroom.” His slender finger suddenly circles the edge of his cup as we wait for him to talk, “Hm, Aren’t we going to get in trouble? What if some kids from school saw us here?” His voice sounds bothered as I convince him that it’s going to be alright and before that could happen Baekhyun already

interjects, “Cut being a nice guy and enjoy life while you’re at it! You’re not going to live if you keep being nice to all the people around you! You need to live out of the law! Live like-” I slap his arm before he could say any rash things to him. I glare at him, “Don’t encourage him in to being you!”

“What? This kid gotta learn the real life,” He says as I shake my head at him, “Could you quit it already! You’ll realize real life once you’re 30!” I retort and our argument about real life started. I nearly forgot that we had company when I hear a small laugh. I turn to him and he was laughing – full teeth – now he looks just like a kid. We realize how childish we look a while ago as we straighten ourselves. Baekhyun and I used to argue since middle school, we argue about a lot of stuffs, from what color should be used in painting the clouds until a debate about how unfair it is for girls to suffer that every time of the month. It’s not that we don’t get along but once we don’t agree on a certain thing, we would expect a two hour debate, in the morning, at lunch, at the movies, we probably argue everywhere, and no one is willing to lost at an intense debate. Our parents are already fed up with it anyway so if the flame has started, it’s their cue to leave the building.

He stops, “You guys tend to argue a lot as best friends.” I sigh, “Yeah, we get that a lot.” His expression suddenly changes when he thought that he might’ve offended us. “I didn’t mean it like that,” He says as I smile, “Don’t worry. We didn’t take it like that.”

He nods. “Yea, a lot of people are used to it anyway. We’re sorry if we had given you any kind of inconvenience.”  Baekhyun says in a polite manner. “It’s okay. I had fun listening to it,” He answers as I giggle, “Well, you’re the first who ever said that.” I didn’t expect that kind of reaction from him even Kai, my boyfriend which I expect to be there to support me, is always annoyed by it so he just leave and returns when he knew that are debate died down. But his weird. A different kind of weird.

 

We were frantically running at the side walk as we try to avoid any kind of matter on our way. Unfortunately, we lost track of time while chatting inside because Baekhyun was telling one of his stories about mythological creatures and he kept convincing us that they really exist but when I check my watch, it was already quarter to 6. Now we’re running like a bunch of hyenas hunting for its prey but since I have short legs, I could only take a few steps since I know these legs of mine won’t take me that far and I was already tired. I stop as I try to catch my breath. I took deep and heavy ones. A shadow cascade over me as I squint my eyes from the sun and to get a clearer view. “Lu Han? What’re you doin –“ Before I could get all the words out, I was back on my feet again and running. My hand is grip around his as he tries to catch up with Baekhyun. I notice that his hand was warm and slightly sweaty but I didn’t find it gross or disgusting and it didn’t even slip in my mind.

“What took you guys so long?” Baekhyun was standing by the backdoor, the one which we prop a book between it so that it wouldn’t lock itself. “Sorry, Lu Han came back for me,” I say in between heavy breaths. “That’s why you have a low grade in gym,” He even find himself teasing me just when he knows that their life is in deep danger. “Just go already!” I exclaim as they both run inside.

I was sitting on one of the bench at the front of the school as I rest myself from the relay that we just had. I never thought Lu Han could run that fast maybe that’s why he’s so good at soccer or his legs are just that long. I once watched one of their games and I must say that he was the one who brought the school to victory and he’s quite popular at school but I rarely see him an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter