Resignation

[Multi-shot] Sunset Resignation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the end for her. Gayoon had finally decided to lay down all of her courage and hopes to stay in the company.
 
For her, it was simply time to go. 
 
There was nothing wrong with the job or the company, at least that’s what she thought. But the fact that everyday, she has to carry all the pressure and the stress made her a little weak, and to be honest, unhealthy. Unhealthy by means of not just losing weight, but the endless trains of thoughts running in and out of her mind every minute of her time. It was a wrecked trail, no time for pause, no schedule for a pit stop. It disarranged her normal schedule. Her mornings were filled of organizing what should she do, her lunch were about stuffing the deadlines all at once, her evenings were cuddling with the laptop until morning. There were no weekends to look forward to. Her mind never left the office. It didn’t let go of the questions about work and how will she finish it.
 
Work controlled everything about her.
 
Maybe it was because it was her first time working in the city. Maybe it was because she didn’t have enough knowledge about the work. Maybe she’s too immature about the real life problems of people under 20’s. Maybe it’s because her colleagues were able to adjust and she couldn’t. She didn’t know how. No matter how hard she hold onto her promise, everytime she hold a sigh, it would haunt her. The thoughts of quitting would appear everytime she handles something she knew would add another station on her train of suffering.
 
It drained her, cause a self-doubt on her abilities. It would make her empty at nights, then would make her cry because of the burden she couldn’t control.
 
She had to give up for this. She might be a failure in this chapter of her life. But she’d rather accept this resignation of defeat than continue being controlled by something she didn’t want to.
 
She cried one last time at the toilet and copy-pasted a simple resignation letter she searched in the internet. At that same day, she handed a fresh printed resignation letter to her boss. Her boss wasn't happy to read the letter and bargained some words to her.
 
“But you were doing good!”
 
“The clients are satisfied with your performance!”
 
“Aren’t you happy that you’re doing what you like?”
 
“You have the potential for our new opportunities.”
 
All of those words sounded the same to her. It was still about work and it’s tiring to listen to. Gayoon forced her lips to smile and shook her head. She admitted defeat in herself and it’s time to pack her things and go. Her boss couldn’t do anything in the end and just said the usual comforting words.
 
Gayoon was able to breathe lighter after she had submitted her resignation. There were still the worries popping sometimes in her mind. But those weren’t as powerful as her freedom to be away from the pressure of work. She knew the aftermath of this defeat would haunt her soon, but all she cared for the moment was the feeling of going home without doing anything but shedding her clothes off and eating whatever she wanted to.
 
She looked at the clock and smiled when the hand pointed 5PM.  Gayoon hummed herself a song while she fixed her stuff and left quietly out of the office. She has to render 30 more days in her company, but it was okay since she was not asked to do anything heavy.
 
She walked as quiet as she could, smiling to herself and thinking of what should she eat for dinner: Sushi or dimsum? She sighed happily, realizing that it was the only most difficult question she has to answer for the day. She headed straight to the elevator and pressed the button when she found another hand pressing the same floor she was heading to.
 
Skin greeted skin, fingers colliding one another, eyes meeting for the first time. Gayoon was out of her mind to comprehend everything so fast. All she could remember were words that would describe the moment. And before she could even mutter a sorry, the girl gave her a nod and a small shy smile. Gayoon didn’t know what to do, so she mirrored the girl and smiled back. Both of their reflections greeted them in the front of the elevator, studying one another inch by inch, avoiding another stare and ignoring the unknown elephant in the room.
 
Noticing the girl and her pink hair, slowly, Gayoon’s memory started to remember her. She knew it was one of her colleagues, but she was in a different team. She was the one who would always go home at exact 5PM unlike all of them who would stay up until 11PM just to repeat the cycle the following day. A lot of her colleagues envied her, including her herself, on how she would be able to meet all the deadlines but still go home at 5PM. She was good at working, so good that she only focused on it. Gayoon knew this girl as the lonely one who didn’t bother talking to anyone unless it’s a meeting or something related to work.
 
She looked again at the girl, only to found out that she was already looking at her. Gayoon could feel the nervousness coming in her. She didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t even remember the girl’s name. She took out her phone from her pocket and decided to do what always saves her from awkward situations.
 
She pretended to text something and waited until the elevator opened in their floor.
 
Unfortunately the lift was almost full and only one person could fit in.
 
“Uhm, you go first.” The pink haired girl moved back a little, smiling at her. Gayoon nodded and muttered thank you before going inside.
 
Before the elevator closed, the girl waved her a cute bye bye and mouthed “Take care.”
 
Gayoon couldn’t stop herself from feeling her cheeks, conscious on the other people inside the lift. She wanted to look at her reflection on the elevator, but she was too shy to confirm.
 
Was she blushing?
 
 
 
 


Gayoon was conscious going to work the following day. She wanted to visit the pink girl’s table to see her and probably, start a small talk with her. But when she went in near her station, the other girl was already doing something.
 
It took Gayoon three round trips on her table to give up and return to her seat and go on with her day.
 
It was just a small act of kindness, anyway--probably.
 
But she couldn't remove the image of the girl saying take care. It greeted her like a welcoming good morning, or a sweet good night. But it was too quick and too warm. She didn't want to admit, but she's sort of, raving for more. It was because she was the only girl who greeted her that way in the office. It piqued her interest. She liked how the g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter