Two

Disappearing Shadows

Tiffany entered the leaders’ studio where the individual rooms of the leaders and assistant leaders were in and approached Jessica’s room cautiously. She didn’t like knowing that her best friend was in a foul mood before she slept, but she didn’t know if it was a good idea to approach the girl at almost seven in the morning. She ran her fingers through her hair as she frowned. Frustrated, she ended up taking a seat at one of the couches in the middle of the octagon-shaped studio. The assistant leader had barely sat down for a minute when the sliding door of the studio opened. Automatically, she turned her head to look and realised that it was none other than Jaguar’s leader, Taeyeon.

 

Tiffany slightly bowed and Taeyeon flashed a friendly smile back in response. “You’re spending the night here as well?” Taeyeon asked while she stopped near the couch.

 

Tiffany smiled gently before she replied, “The night is long gone. It’s morning.” When it earned a small laugh from Taeyeon, Tiffany continued, “Anyway, Jessi gave me a ride here since we were hanging out last night when Chairman Jo called for us so…I can’t actually go back without her. My car’s at home.”

 

“Ah, I see,” Taeyeon responded while she nodded.

 

“Oh and…sorry.”

 

The leader raised her eyebrow at Tiffany’s sudden apology. “For?”

 

Tiffany didn’t reply immediately. Instead, she pointed towards Jessica’s room with her thumb. “She’s…” She paused and thought for a moment. “Well… Sometimes she’s quite a nasty one.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes followed the direction of Tiffany’s thumb before her sight landed on Jessica’s door. One side of her lips tugged upwards as she chuckled, and then she turned back to look at Tiffany. “Quite nasty, huh?” Then, she shrugged. “It’s okay. It doesn’t bother me. Anyway, I guess you had a long day. Go have a good rest. We never know when we’ve gotta be back in action.”

 

Once again, Tiffany smiled politely. “Yes Capt. I’ll just sit around for—”

 

“I told you not to call me ‘Capt’ or ‘’Leader’ or whatever didn’t I? You can just call me Taeyeon because hierarchy or whatever doesn’t matter to me. It’s pretty lame,” Taeyeon interrupted coolly.

 

“Ah okay. Uh, Tae— Ah but it sounds so awkward. I’ll just…be around here for a bit more. I’ll see you around soon?”

 

Taeyeon only laughed as she shook her head. “Okay, I’ll go get a good sleep first. See you around, Tiffany.”

 

Tiffany bowed slightly once more and then Taeyeon turned to leave for her own room. Tiffany watched as Taeyeon entered her room. Unknowingly, she heaved a sigh. Sometimes, she really didn’t understand why Jessica hated Taeyeon so much.

 

 

 

It was ten in the morning when Jessica’s alarm went off. “Shut the hell up…” she cursed before she skillfully turned it off and went back to sleep. She had barely managed to fall asleep when she heard knocks on her door.

 

“Jessica?”

 

Jessica frowned at Tiffany’s voice outside her door before she pressed her pillow down on her ear to shut the noise out. However, the knocks don’t stop, as well as the shouting.

 

“Jessi?”

 

“What?!” Jessica yelled at the top of her voice.

 

“We need to get to work.”

 

At the word ‘work’, Jessica’s eyes sprang open. Annoyance showing her eyes, she sat up and ruffled her already messy bed hair. “Okay I got it I’m getting up in a bit. You can go ahead and wash up first,” she replied lazily from her bed.

 

It took another fifteen minutes before Jessica was willing to climb out of her bed. She had barely slept for three hours and she was in no mood to do anything except to climb back into her bed and sleep for possibly another decade. She cracked her neck as she opened her door. However, the door to the second room next to hers opened at the same time and she was greeted by the face she probably didn’t want to see the most on such a grumpy morning.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes met Jessica’s and one side of her lips curved upwards. “Well well, good morning Miss Leopard. It might have been a better morning if you weren’t making such a ruckus.”

 

Jessica only stared at Taeyeon blankly before she rolled her eyes. “No one told you to stay in.”

 

“Mmm,” Taeyeon hummed as she nodded. “That’s true.” Flashing a smile she always used to annoy Jessica, she continued, “Anyway, have a nice day. I hope you get loads of inspiration for your fashion designing or whatever, something like that. I’m looking forward to working with you soon on our new mission.” Without waiting for a response, Taeyeon left her room as she proceeded to leave the studio.

 

“Jag,” Jessica suddenly called out.

 

“Hmm?” Taeyeon turned her head to look back at the girl, only to see Jessica pointing her middle finger at her. Not taking offense, Taeyeon laughed before she turned to go, her hands slotted into the front pockets of her pants.

 

 

Taeyeon mindlessly sat at the edge of the table in the pantry of the detective agency where she was working at while she waited for her French press coffee to be ready. Something about the decision that Chairman Jo made just made her feel uneasy. K-FORCE never had to involve the entire group of female agents to take part in a single event with the male agents. She frowned as she gently bit her knuckle.

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

A call of her name snapped the girl out of her trance as she turned her head towards the source of the voice. Almost automatically, she hopped off the table and bowed.

 

“Good morning sir,” Taeyeon greeted her superior in the detective agency, Detective Oh.

 

“Are you okay? You’re looking a little pale,” Detective Oh expressed his concern.

 

“Ah yes I’m okay. I didn’t get to sleep much last night.”

 

“Get some rest while you can. This is a tiring job.”

 

Tiring? Being a member of K-FORCE just felt like it was a hundred times worse, Taeyeon thought. However, she replied, “Yes I will.”

 

Detective Oh nodded, before he added, “I was looking for you earlier on. Minji managed to hack into their system and something doesn’t seem to match. I think you might be able to find something out with your expertise. We have to crack this as soon as we can so…”

 

“I’ll work on it immediately sir.”

 

Detective Oh smiled slightly before he patted Taeyeon lightly on her shoulder. “I knew I could trust you with anything.” Taeyeon said nothing except to return a smile and then he turned to go and she was left alone in pantry.

 

Taeyeon let out a soft sigh and then she picked up her French press. “At least I have you,” she muttered to her coffee with a silly grin.

 

Reaching her desk, Taeyeon logged into her company’s server and indeed, she had been granted access to the hacked system like Detective Oh had mentioned. She was about to start analyzing the system when she stopped and turned towards her French press.

 

“Coffee first,” she mumbled before she poured herself a fragrant cup of coffee. She had barely pressed the cup to her lips when her phone suddenly vibrated and she nearly spilled the cup’s content. “Damn…” she cursed as she put the cup down.

 

Pursing her lips, she picked up her phone and answered the call impatiently. “TY.”

 

“Capt I’m Sunny.”

 

“I know. The phone already told me that. What’s up?”

 

“Hyo tracked down Guskov.”

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows as her eyes widened. “What?!”

 

“Jo was going to pass this over to another agency but we’re short of time. Guskov’s taking the flight at two and security’s gonna be very high. We need you back here Capt.”

 

Pressing her fingers to her head, she closed her eyes before she replied, “Okay. I’ll be back right now.” With that, she hung up. Clenching her jaw, she scrolled through her contact list on her phone, stopped at ‘Kangjoon’ and waited as the call got connected. As soon as the call got through, the 22-year-old who was seated at the other end of the same office looked up to meet Taeyeon’s eyes. Without hesitation, he picked up his phone.

 

“Yes Capt.”

 

Without breaking eye contact, Taeyeon spoke into the phone, “Kangjoon, I need your help. I need to get back urgently but Detective Oh wants me to work on the system that Minji managed to hack into just now. Do you think you’d be able to help me on that?”

 

“Of course,” Kangjoon replied as he nodded.

 

“There’s just one problem. I’m granted access but you—”

 

“Capt, I can hack into anything.” Kangjoon smirked and Taeyeon couldn’t help but to smile at the boy.

 

“Alright, thanks. I owe you one.” Kangjoon nodded once again and Taeyeon was about to hang up when she suddenly put the phone back to her ear. “Oh, don’t tell Changwook about this. I swear he’s going to kill me.”

 

A grin appeared on Kangjoon’s face before he said, “He won’t. He has a soft spot for you Capt.”

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at the boy even though the smile stayed on her face. “Don’t you even dare, Viper’s assistant leader.”

 

“It’s really sweet if Viper’s leader and Jaguar’s leader end up in a heated romance isn’t it?” Kangjoon continued to tease.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I don’t have time to do this with you. I’ll get going.”

 

“Be safe Capt.”

 

This time, Taeyeon nodded before she hung up. Taking a look at her surrounding, she made sure that no one was looking, and then she gently reached out towards the band on her wrist. With a subtle click, she retrieved a micro earpiece from the band that she then attached to her ear.

 

Taeyeon grabbed her coat as she stood up and made her way out of the office. Stepping out of the building, she finally reached for the earpiece before she rested her index finger on the sensor of the earpiece. “Jaguar, assemble.”

 

 


[A/N] 19/4/2015

Firstly, and most importantly, the list of characters/cast has been updated at the description page and you might like this story more after taking a look at it (because this was what happened to me). Write me something. (The cast, this chapter, your favourite moment, whatever.)

P.S. Don't you find Jessi so funnily bad-tempered? 😂

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
Follow me on Twitter here
© 
Sky Blue Tales