One

Disappearing Shadows

“Seriously, I don’t even get the protagonist. She could have freaking kicked his balls and made a run for it. What’s with all that unnecessary screaming?”

 

Stephanie Young Hwang. 26, a ravishing young lady who turned heads everywhere she went. Unknown to most people, she was also the assistant team leader of Leopard, one of the groups of female secret agents under K-FORCE, an elite intelligence agency in Korea. When it came to her identity as a secret agent, she was better known as Tiffany.

 

“Not every girl in this world is as capable as you are, Tiffany.”

 

Jessica Sooyoun Jung, 26, a stunning brunette. She headed Leopard, assuming one of the team leader roles of the three groups of females under K-FORCE, namely Jaguar, Cheetah, and her own, Leopard.

 

Tiffany and Jessica had met each other when they were in high school, and had been inseparable since then. At 17, they had both been picked up by K-FORCE where they started training to become the best agents in Korea.

 

Despite appearing to be lazy, Jessica had ended up faring better than most of her fellow agents, earning her the title of a team leader, alongside Kim Taeyeon, team leader of Jaguar, and Choi Sooyoung, team leader of Cheetah.

 

Tiffany, on the other hand, had initially took up the role of an assistant team leader of Cheetah, but had requested for a swap so that she could stick with her best friend. The request was granted, and Im Yoona took her place as the assistant team leader of Cheetah instead. Jaguar too, found Lee Soonkyu, or Sunny, as its assistant team leader.

 

The man behind it all… Jo Insung, one of the most powerful men in Korea, someone whose mind turned fast and whose eyes matched those of an eagle. The leader among leaders. The elite.

 

“No as in, it’s just senseless. I really hate how stupid movies like this always make us girls look like we’re weaklings. I’d have him begging for mercy within five seconds,” Tiffany complained, rolling her eyes.

 

Jessica let out a small laugh and then she shook her head. “Told you not every girl in this world is as capable as you are.” She cracked her neck. “Ah, watching a movie at two in the morning really isn’t my thing... I’m dead beat.”

 

A smile showed up on Tiffany’s face. “If you’re really tired, I’ll drive. Come on leader, your car isn’t that far away. Let’s go let’s go.” The girl laughed as she pushed Jessica from the back by her shoulders with all her might, letting her head hang low.

 

“I’d rather you call me your best friend Steph. Gosh stop pushing me you’re—” Jessica turned back to whine, and was almost startled when a voice suddenly sounded in front of her.

 

“Hi girls.”

 

Both girls instantly stopped in their tracks. Tiffany lifted her head, a slight frown creeping up. They said nothing except to stare at the man before them who was over six feet tall with a large body frame. Three men who were standing around seemed to be part of his company.

 

“Where are you two pretty ladies heading to at…four?” the man said, followed by a sickening smirk.

 

With her fist clenched, Jessica was about to take a step forward when Tiffany held her back. “Jessi don’t,” she whispered.

 

Inhaling deeply and then letting the breath out, Jessica looked away for a brief moment before she stared coldly into the man’s eyes. “Where we’re going to is no business of yours.”

 

The man laughed, much to Jessica’s annoyance. “Why, why. Keep me company and it will be my business.” He reached out and gently cupped Jessica’s arm. “What do you think?”

 

“Don’t touch me.”

 

“Feisty, huh?”

 

“Don’t make me repeat myself.”

 

“So what happens if I make you repeat yourself?” The man challenged as he placed another hand on Jessica’s arm.

 

“You asked for it.”

 

Jessica shrugged herself out of the man’s hold easily and before he could even make anything out, his face was met with the back of Jessica’s hand with a loud smack. The man staggered to find his balance as the other three men lunged forward at Jessica.

 

Jessica dodged a fist easily, and then she pulled at the attacking wrist with one hand and retaliated with a sharp blow using her elbow. Before another hand grabbed her from the back, she reached behind and with a skillful pull, she threw the attacker from over her shoulder and he fell onto the floor with a loud thud and a painful cry. Jessica was about to deal with the third attacker when Tiffany grabbed his collar.

 

“I’ll deal with this,” Tiffany said with a wink.

 

“Have fun,” Jessica replied while she watched.

 

Tiffany threw punches to the man’s face and stomach relentlessly and he had no chances to fight back at all.

 

“You know what those stupid girls in the movies should do?” Tiffany asked while she grabbed the man by his shirt.

 

Jessica shrugged. “I don’t know. Show me.”

 

This.

 

With that, Tiffany’s leg reached backwards before she sent it flying towards the man’s crotch.

 

Jessica slightly flinched as the man’s cry filled the quiet street. She then shook her head. “Oh that was…rough.”

 

A satisfied smile gracing her face, Tiffany made her way towards the man who was slapped by Jessica earlier on. Sprawled on the ground, he tried to climb backwards when Tiffany approached. She stopped as she crossed her arms. “Do you still need our company?” she asked with a gentle smile, albeit a threatening one. The man could only shake his head profusely, fear obvious in his eyes. This time, Tiffany flashed an eye-smile. “Good.”

 

“Let’s go. I need to get some sleep. These ing bastards wasted enough of our time.” Jessica turned to leave, and Tiffany followed behind closely.

 

The girls didn’t take long to reach Jessica’s car. Standing outside, Jessica squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head, hoping to get rid of her sleepy bug.

 

“Jessi you okay?” Tiffany asked, concerned.

 

Jessica opened her eyes as she looked back at Tiffany. Slightly smiling, she nodded. “Yeah, let’s go.”

 

The journey back to Tiffany’s home was a quiet one. Tiffany was keeping her eyes on the traffic, afraid that Jessica would cause an accident in her sleepy state.

 

“We’re finally here,” Jessica commented when the car arrived at Tiffany’s home.

 

Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica who hugged her back. “Drive safely okay? Send me a text when you’re home?”

 

Jessica pulled away from the hug and nodded while she smiled. “Got it. Get in there.”

 

Tiffany was gone for barely a minute when the familiar alert tone sounded through the speakers in Jessica’s car. Jessica snapped her head towards the screen that was supposed to be a normal radio with a touchscreen. She placed a thumb at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

 

“Jessica Sooyoun Jung.” The name sounded in the speakers as her identity was verified. She then tapped on the alert button which was flashing in red.

 

Report to HQ immediately

 

JO

 

Jessica was muttering complaints under her breath when someone opened the door of her car and settled into the passenger seat.

 

“Hi again. Looks like we aren’t getting any sleep tonight,” Tiffany remarked as she looked at Jessica, her face expressionless.

 

“Oh my god. Sometimes I hate this job. I swear.” Jessica rolled her eyes before she sped off into the dawn.

 

Reaching their headquarters in less than thirty minutes, Jessica drifted her car into the parking lot. It was something that amazed Tiffany every single time.

 

“When can I learn this from you?”

 

“Forget it you’ll never get it with your non-existent brain.”

 

“Jessica!” Tiffany scolded.

 

Jessica flashed a tired grin and then she put an arm around her best friend as they approached the entrance.

 

There were two entrances and before they could reach them, they had to be verified by security portals, one to each entrance. As usual, each girl took a security portal.

 

“Jessica Sooyoun Jung. Access granted.”

 

“Stephanie Young Hwang, Tiffany. Access granted.”

 

The girls made their way to the conference room without any further delay. When they arrived, Chairman Jo as well as the leaders and assistant leaders of the female teams were already present. They bowed slightly, their form of exchanging greetings.

 

“Take a seat,” Chairman Jo said as he gestured to the two empty seats opposite him. When they had settled themselves into their seats, he took in a breath before he began. “I’ve settled the guys and I trust that they will do their job well. Now, as for you girls… Cha Seungwon has strong support everywhere. We know that he is behind all those attacks, but there is no way the public would believe us if we have no evidence. We’re pitting ourselves against the sly fox and we cannot afford to make any mistakes. Strikeforce Korea made only a slight mistake and it was all it took for them to crumble. You girls will take your hands off every other case you’re dealing with right now. We have more important things. I’ll delegate those duties to another agency, and you don’t have to worry about it. Taeyeon, Jessica, Sooyoung.”

 

“Yes sir,” the leaders replied in unison.

 

“You girls are strong and capable, but I figured that it’d be good if one of you head this operation. After much deliberation, I’ve decided…” Chairman Jo casted a look at each leader. “That you girls will take orders from Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon smiled slightly while Sooyoung nodded. On the other hand, Jessica’s eyes widened.

 

Before she knew it, Jessica started protesting, “Sir, I think that we can work well individually. We can delegate duties to each team and—”

 

“Jessica.” With a call of her name, Jessica kept quiet. “I am aware of the tension and I don’t wish to talk about it further. Taeyeon is capable but so are you. If you girls work together, there is so much that you can achieve. We don’t want things to be messed up while you work individually. You know teamwork is crucial here.”

 

“I—”

 

“Do you still have any objections?”

 

Jessica heaved a frustrated sigh. “No sir.”

 

The meeting carried on for an hour or so, and when it finally ended, Jessica was still fuming. She stood up to leave before anyone else. It was too suffocating.

 

“Jessica. Jessi!” Tiffany called out behind the girl as she finally caught up just before she entered the locker room. “What are you doing here?”

 

“It’s almost six. I need a shower and then I’m just going to sleep here. I can’t ing drive home in this state,” Jessica snapped, opening her locker with pent up frustration.

 

Tiffany too opened hers, which was a few lockers away from Jessica’s. “Actually, why are you pissed? Taeyeon’s really cool. Like don’t you think she’s so hot when—”

 

Jessica slammed the door to her locker and Tiffany jumped in shock as she looked back at the girl. “Grab your things, get into the shower and leave me alone. I’m not in the mood to listen to your mad crush on Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Jessi…”

 

“Tiff, please. I’m about to vent it on someone soon and I don’t want it to be you because you’re my best friend and you know I don’t like to make you sad.”

 

Tiffany only sighed before she gathered her things and proceeded to make her way out of the locker room. “Relax okay?” she said as she passed Jessica.

 

“I’ll try,” Jessica grunted.

 

“Oh hi!” Jessica barely opened her locker once again when Tiffany’s overly enthusiastic high pitch voice reached her ears. She snapped her head to the entrance, only to find the face of the person she hated to see the most right at that instant – Kim Taeyeon. She turned her head back to grab her things but before long, she felt someone leaning against the lockers just less than a metre away from her.

 

“Hey Jessica,” Taeyeon greeted.

 

“Hey,” she replied reluctantly, not even turning to look at Taeyeon.

 

“What, you mad at me? Over that?” Taeyeon sneered.

 

Jessica let out an exasperated sigh. She looked upwards, and then at Taeyeon. “Look, Jag’s leader, I don’t have the spare time to talk with you. The last time I checked, we weren’t friends, and I still don’t think we are now.” She slammed the locker door once again as she rolled her eyes at Taeyeon, her shoulder knocking Taeyeon’s on purpose when she passed her.

 

“Why do you hate me so much?”

 

Jessica stopped. Coldly, she replied, “I don’t particularly have a reason to like you.” Without turning back or waiting for Taeyeon’s answer, Jessica took steps out of the locker room, leaving Taeyeon alone inside.

 

 


[A/N] 22/2/2015

A new story, yes. I couldn't get the idea out of my head so I figured I might as well start on it. This might be my favourite work out of the rest so I might take longer to update each chapter because I want it to be good. I don't know about you but I'm loving Jessica already. "Feisty much?" ;)

Write me something.

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
Follow me on Twitter here
© 
Sky Blue Tales