Prequel: Simple Guy Jiwon

Captain, O, Captain!

This is some sort of a prequel, kind of taking place before Binhwan are close to each other... maybe? *and basically dumb!Bobby because I love him*

 

----------------------

 

Jiwon is a simple guy. If he hate someone, he will tell it to their face. If he like someone, he will also say it straight away. That is why he really could not fathom why it is so hard for Hanbin to admit that he likes their team libero.

“It’s not like that. I think he is cute, that’s all.” The younger boy denies for the umpteenth time. Jiwon does not buy it. It is clear by the way he is now staring at Jinhwan—who sits accross the room with his classmates from the senior year—that whatever the captain is having, it is not just a simple attraction.

“Yesterday, you extended the break time for ten minutes because Jinhwan-hyung looked a little bit pale after running.” Jiwon argues.

“I do that everytime someone is exhausted!”

“You keep on going with the practice when I nearly died from dehidration last week.” Jiwon deadpans. Oh, Hanbin did. He freaking did that. And he is still kind of bitter about the whole thing.

“Please! That was only because you fool around with the other kids too much!” Well, maybe, he kinda lost his energy chasing around Chanwoo and all, but details.... pfft. “I don’t have a crush on Jinan-hyung. Period.”

Jiwon wants to point out about the nickname thing—Hanbin does not give nickname just to anyone (he receives the title Kimbab only after ten years befriending the boy)—and also the fact that Hanbin nearly kills Junhoe with tossing practice only because he touched Jinhwan two days ago, but opts to silently eat his lunch instead.

Having a bestfriend who is in denial is kind of stupid.

 

Having TWO bestfriends who are in denial is an absolute idiocy.

“It is not as simple as that, Jiwon-ah. He is the team captain.” Jiwon wants to squish Jinhwan into oblivion—partly because his pout is too cute for humankind’s safety, and partly because this whole conversation is thoroughly useless.

If he has not swore secrecy to both of them (and contrary to popular belief, Jiwon does hold onto his words) he would already spill every bean out of the can. Sadly, he is still a pretty dependable, responsible, cool, handsome guy.

“But you like him. Maybe if you make a move he will like you back? I mean, you are cute... Hanbin likes cute stuff like Mickey Mouse?” Jiwon offers, lazily twirling the pencil in his hand. Jinhwan should be tutoring him in math, not ranting about the lack of his love life. This whole love problem puts Jiwon’s grade in total danger (not that it is not before).

“No. That’s impossible. There’s no way in hell Kim Hanbin likes me.”

He does not know about the afterlife, but he knows Kim Hanbin does like Kim Jinhwan in this lifetime. He knows a lovesick puppy when he sees one, and although Hanbin is much more like an adult hound, he is definitely lovestruck.

The fact that both are too stupid to admit and act upon it drives Jiwon crazy.

“Gosh, so what do you want Hyung?” He groans into his math homework, frustrated with the absurdity. “It is not like he will know you like him if you don’t even try to show it!”

“Then maybe...,” Jinhwan lets out a deep breath, staring longingly past the bedroom windows, “we’re not meant to be...”

Jiwon’s groan is even louder this time. He feels like jumping from his balcony (fortunately, he does not have one).

Having a mopper like Hanbin is more than abundant for a lifetime, he will not accept the birth of another one.

 

If he can, he will already shove both his bestfriends into the changing room and lock them for a night. Sadly, Hanbin’s glare everytime he caught Jiwon tries something (to help him, mind you) sends shiver down his spine. And Jinhwan will ignore him everytime the older senses he is trying to spill his secret (which is also to help him, mind you).

Why give him secret if he can do nothing about it?

Idiocy is the answer to this whole equation.

“Yah, just please come with me. We don’t have practice until Thursday anyway...” Hanbin looks hesitant. Well, this is Kim Jiwon asking him to visit a bookstore with. You see the point? Strange things bound to happen there. “Fine, you caught me. I like a girl who works there.” Jiwon takes a seat in front of his bestfriend, putting his most desperate mask on display. “You know how awkward I am with girl... and how out of place I am in a bookstore. So, just accompany me for a while until I get her phone number, yeah?”

First, Jiwon is a flirt when he means it. And second, Donghyuk or Yunhyeong are clearly the better choice for something like this. But all arguments crawl back to his throat when Hanbin hears Jiwon’s whines.

“Fine, fine, I will go with you!”

 

Jiwon knows Jinhwan’s schedules in and out. He knows that in the evening when they don’t have practice, the older likes to spend his time looking for books in the nearby mall. And when he and Hanbin stumble upon their mathyung that Sunday, it might or might not be a coincidence.

“Yah, Jiwon-ah! What are you doing here?” Jinwhan asks with an amused smile. “Did the God of Study finally—”

“Kimbab! I found—”

If Jiwon is not already a jerk enough, he will surely laugh at both his bestfriends’ expression. Funny how meeting your crush can produce the same effect as meeting a ghost.

“Ah... so you’re with him.” As expected from the less dumb of the duo, Jinhwan greets the still fabbergasted captain with a smile. “Hanbin, annyeong.”   

“An—urgh—hi, hyung.”

The secondhand embarassment is killing Jiwon. He never knows the infamous captain from hell could be such a loser.

“So, are you hungry, hyung?” The confusion is clear in the oldest face when Jiwon suddenly steers the conversation into food. “You promised to show me that coffee shop you frequent. How about now? Let’s go together with Hanbin!”

Hanbin looks like he want to protest, but shuts up when Jinhwan—who might or might not already realizes Jiwon’s ploy (and might or might not decides to go along with it)—answers them both with a blinding grin. “Let’s go then!”

Jiwon high-fives himself inside his head.

 

So far, things are going into the right direction. Jiwon can see flowers, and rainbows, and unicorns and vast green field in his bestfriends’ future.

He is a ing love savior.

A hero who needs a statue dedicated to himself.

“So you also went to Epik High concert last week?” Jinhwan exclaimed in surprise. “I never knew you’re going! We could go together if I knew that you also like them.”

It turns out that they share similar taste in music. Jiwon already knows. He kinda brought up this conversation.

See? A hero.

“Euhm... I actually knew you’re coming to the show...” Hanbin shyly admits. “It just never crossed me that you will want to go together... I mean, you could be with your friends or yeah... something like that.”

Gosh, this is embarassing. Hanbin is totally embarassing when he is in love. Where had the mean-tongued Kim Hanbin gone to? Jiwon is glad that despite his innocent look, Jinhwan is so secretly a flirt.

Sipping his iced americano in contentment, Jiwon has never been this happy to be ignored in a conversation.

“Well, excuse me. I need a toilet break...”

He doesn’t even feel offended when no one actually cares.

 

He hums a random melody on his way back to their seat.

Things are ing perfect.

Wondering what kind of good deeds had he done in his previous life to receive this blessing, Jiwon is beyond surprised to see someone, a particularly tall someone, stands in front of their table. Hands occupied with food, but mouth free like a bird’s.

“Wah, hyung! Are you two on a date?”

He recognizes that obnoxiously loud voice whenever he goes.

That’s the sound of hell breaking loose.

Goo ing Junhoe is ruining everything for him, and people still wonders why they are awkward around each other.

“Wait! So that’s why you gave me an extra practice! You don’t like it when I get close to Jinhwan-hyung! Yah, would you just say so? That is soo unnecessary!” Junhoe sounds offended—which is pretty much right if only they were not in this exact situation. “I know you like each other but I don’t know you two are dating. You should at least tell the team members!”

The tip of their ears are already beet red. Both Hanbin and Jinhwan are clearly lost for words and that is NOT a good sign.

 

Right now, Jiwon only wants the earth to swallow him whole.

 

 

And so, his first real attempt results in sore muscles (the aftertaste of Hanbin’s special practice menu) and a C- in math (undeniably the outcome of him studying without Jinhwan’s supervision).

Jiwon is a simple guy, and he had the drama enough for a lifetime.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, a pretty useless fic you had right there. Hahhaa

Excuse me as I crawl back into my cave and think about the uselessness of the whole fic...

Well, i hope you enjoyed the ride!