FINAL

Captain, O, Captain!

 

Kim Hanbin likes everything to be perfect, he likes to be in control and knowing full well that it is all in the right places. He likes to go to matches knowing they already own the game. And most of all, he hates losing.

Very very much.

And that is why, having him as a team captain are both a blessing and a bad luck.

Don’t be mistaken, Yunhyeong respect that junior of his A LOT. He understands how much Hanbin’s leadership had affected the team’s performance. Never in his two years of joining the volleyball club did he ever dream of passing the regional preliminaries, let alone advancing to the national level. With Hanbin taking the baton from Seungyoon-hyung a year ago, however, the road suddenly unfolds before his eyes. The journey was bumpy, and literally hurts a lot, but it was worth it. In a month they will go to Seoul to meet the teams from all over South Korea.

On the other hand, the Jigoku no Captain, the Satan-Setter, the Merciless Commander, is slowly but surely killing them all by the way they are practicing right now.

“A TEN MINUTES BREAK!”

Everyone instantly dropped their body onto the cold hard-floor, feeling nothing but exhaustion. A fifty laps running after a two-hours tossing practice was not easy. Not at all.

“The only reason..... I’m not skipping this..... is the fact.... that I will have to do double.... if I actually did.” Donghyuk desperatedly said between pants. Yunhyeong grimaced, the kid looks like he is currently dying.

“YAH, KIM HANBIN! I’LL KILL YOU AFTER THE TOURNAMENT!” No one will ever be sure how after all of this Junhoe still has the energy to shout. But at that sassiness which is Goo Junhoe, their captain only laughed from the other side of the court.

“You’ll be kissing me when we get first!”

Oh, not Goo Junhoe, but someone will.

 

If there is a weakness at all for the Commander from Hell, then it is in the form of their small-framed Libero, Kim Jinhwan. It was never something excessive though, and you will only see it if you squint real hard—or when you are so desperate you’re almost in the verge of delusion, just like Yunhyeong himself. It is the way the leader occasionally, and always so secretly, glanced at their mathyung in between short breaks. The way he will at least listen to Jinhwan’s opinion until he actually finishes. Because Hanbin will always cut into the other’s arguments—Jiwon said it was because theirs are stupid, but Yunhyeong will believe otherwise (He’s currently being delusional, remember?). The way their leader seems to actually think twice if Jinhwan is asking for an additional break time—he never agrees, but at least he is not shouting at him either. The way he is smiling, real smile not the creepy one, when the oldest is acting cute or being silly.

He is still the Satan-Setter, the leader who can’t be moved, but he definitely acts better.

“I told you, if it is Jinhwan-hyung he will at least consider it!” Yunhyeong coaxed his teammates in a hushed conversation. The ones in question are currently talking about some strategy at the other side of the court. “Trust me, it is the only possible option.”

“No, he will never let us have a break.” Junhoe retaliated.

“We can still try it nonetheless...” The usually quiet Chanwoo chimed in. “I mean, at any rate he won’t shout of get mad at Jinhwan-hyung.”

“See? We got nothing to lose!” Yunhyeong hit back. “How is it Jiwon-ah? Do you think we should try it or not?”

Out of the others, Jiwon is still the closest one to Hanbin, and his opinion will determine the result of this foremost discussion. “Let’s just try. Jinhwan-hyung will gladly help us, I think.” He answered with a cheeky grin.

Well, Kim Jiwon knows something the other don’t.

 

“A Sunday morning break?” The oldest asked in confusion. “Why?”

Actually, the boys desperately want to come to the festival held by a neighboring school, which is also famous for their pretty girls. Call them erts, but they are just a bunch of overly-exhausted and extremely girl-deprived young men.

“Please, just help us this once. We will work twice harder after!” Yunhyeong half-begged his hyung, they need this break or it will drive them nuts.

“Please, hyung-ah!” The others echoed.

“Okay, I’ll ask him to free Sunday morning.” It’s not like Jinhwan himself does not need the much-deserved break. Practicing with them is fun, but lazying around in his room on a Sunday morning sounds good for a chance. 

“NO!!” Yunhyeong hastily blocked the other as he makes the move to tell their leader. “Actually, we have something else that will definitely, 30% works!”

Kim Jinhwan stops on his track and confusedly look at the taller boy.

 

Hanbin watches as Jinhwan jogs lightly towards him, slowly invading his personal room for sanity. He still believes that the other’s presence is damaging his health. The rapid pumps of his heart will only make his brain feels light and in result renders his judgment flawed. He had been strong before, but today Jinhwan looks particularly good with his new hairstyle that Hanbin does not have even any faith left for himself.  

And by the secret and hopeful glances that the others are throwing at him, he knows something was up. No, he will be strong! He will never cater even if the oldest uses tons or billions of aegyo.

“So, Hanbin-ah.” Jinhwan is the shortest in the team, and that is why he is the hardest to deal with. Speaking while looking down at him gives off the effect of speaking to a small animal, like a puppy. It makes the oldest look cute, harmless, and almost fairy-like. “I have a small request...”

“What is it Hyung?” Hanbin coolly answered. No one will know how much strong will it takes for him to make his expression seems nonchalant.

“About Sunday morning practice... can we cancel it this week?”

Bingo!

“Why? Did they coerce you to ask me?” He threw dirty looks to the other members who were pretending to be busy doing things on their own. Though Hanbin had been careful, it looks like they finally catch on to his sole weakness. “You know we need to practice as much as we could. Maybe it is hard for everyone right now, but it will make them stronger. And the team need every single one of us to become stronger.” It is not like he want to preach. Moreover to someone older like Jinhwan. But he has the reputation to behold.

He looked up to see the other’s response, and his head went blank because Jinhwan pouted.

Kim Jinwhan is ing pouting. At him.

“You’re so unfair. How could you say something like that? Do you think I’m a clueless doll whom they can order around? Yah! Despite everything, I’m still the mathyung! Did you forget that? Are you so full of yourself right now? And here I thought I could ask for your help. Forget it! Don’t mind me!”

The other’s reaction caught him completely off guard. Eventhough a bit childish at times, but Jinhwan is still always the level-headed one amongst them. Finding him like this (although it is super cute) is also quite frightening.

“Ah, mianhe! That’s not what I meant by it...” Hanbin unconciously reached the older’s wrist, preventing him to move away. “But you know we can not miss practice, right? Now, tell me why you want a day off.”

“I want you to go out with me, just the two of us, this Sunday.”

WHAT?!

“W—what?” Did he hear it right? Just the two of them.... a date?!

“Actually, I want to buy a good luck charm for the team. And I want this to be a surprise, you know, like a special gift for their hardwork. And as the team captain, I thought it would be sensible for you to come along and choose it with me.” The oldest innocently explained while Hanbin secretly deflates a little bit. Oh, of course, how silly of him to think that he was being asked for a date. “But if you think practice is the only thing that could guarantee our win, then what can I do...”

Hanbin tightened his grip, brain working extra hard processing everything.

He had promised himself to be strong, to not get swayed by unnecessary business. But this.... is for the team, huh? And a Sunday morning having Jinhwan exclusively for himself—no matter the circumstance is— also is not a bad thing...

 

When he announced his decision, his teammates’ cries of joy is on a totally new different level.

 

Hanbin wonders if this is what those cheesy love stories talk about. You know, about how days are long but also short at the same time when you are looking forward to a certain thing, a date, or in his case, an outing?

A date outing with Kim Jinhwan.

Before he knew it, it is already Sunday. And he is nervously waiting for his hyung in front of the crowded park. They will be heading to the shopping district after, buying stuffs for the kids. Hanbin suddenly feels like a dad. But if that makes Jinhwan the mom...

Aish, stop! Stop! Stop!

See? He is suddenly turning stupid before the mere thought of a certain someone.

Hanbin hopes that he isn’t overdressed today, or underdressed, did he even properly dressed? Pants, shirt, shoes? Fortunately, before he can begin to lose his cool and chicken out, he spots his hyung walking casually—and might he add, breathtakingly—towards him.

Although nothing will ever beat the glory of Kim Jinhwan in a volley shorts. Casual clothes are a completely different kind of beauty, and not an unwelcomed one.

“Have you wait for long?” The older asked as he come to a halt in front of him, Hanbin questions whether all his hyung’s clothes are kind of a size to big.

“Nah, just like five minutes...”

“Great!” Jinhwan smiled so bright it’s almost blinding. “Let’s go then!”

 

He is not a big fan of crowded places, but Hanbin had to admit that he is extremely grateful for every single soul flocking around the shopping district today. For every individual cramming the place, he got every reason to have Jinhwan very close to himself.

It started with an occasional, hesitant tug on his coat as the two fought their way amidst the sea of people. Then it turned into a small grip on his sleeve. And when he finally muster the courage and nervously offer his arm, Jinhwan shyly, but happily, latch his small hands there.

Hanbin does not say anything even when they finally enter a small, less packed shop, and the older’s hand does not go anywhere.

“They say the keychain charm in this shop is very popular! I hope we can find something suitable for the kids.” Jinwhan talked excitedly, grinning happily while both his hands are busy choosing. Hanbin rest his own hand in the other’s waist, leaning close to comment on his choices. With every small blush and welcoming gesture, Hanbin’s confidence sprouts like wild grasses.

“So, this?” The older pick up a volleyball-shaped one.

Hanbin shook his head. “Too plain.”

“Then, this?” Now the older pick up a skull-themed one.

Hanbin shook his head again. “Too ominous.”

“Then I’m stuck.” Jinhwan pouted his lips as he stared at the keychains hanging on the display. Confused. Oh, how much Hanbin wants to kiss that pair is myriad.

“Euhm,” Distracting himself from the dirty thought, Hanbin switched his glance to the display and pick one. “How about this?”

“That’s a bear, and baby blue, isn’t that too cute?”

Not as cute as you, though. “Nah, it is a grumpy bear and it wears hip-hop clothing. Pretty manly for me.” He throw the other a cheeky grin, and Jinwhan laughed. Light and melodious.

“Okay, and Junhwe’s face after receiving this one will be a bonus point.”

“Oh, I can already imagine the disgust!”

They continue to tease Junhwe as they pay the bills, laughing and mocking the inexistent sassy diva. Hanbin grabs the other’s hand and interlaced their fingers as they walk out the door to face the jam-packed street again. “It’s still pretty early, want to do something else?” Hanbin test his luck. He nervously look anywhere but his hyung.

“Well, there’s a movie that I want to watch...” Jinwhan answers with a small smile, and Hanbin’s heart fly off to God knows where.

“Then, to the cinema it is!”

 

 The evening sun illuminates the water in a golden glow, the many shades of auburn adorning the sky above their head. The walk is peaceful, tranquil even. Hanbin does not try to hide his contentment as he hold the small fingers in his hand, occasionally giving it a soft squeeze to convince himself that it is indeed real: that he is holding into his Jinan-hyung.

Starting as a nervous wreck, Hanbin found himself at ease at the end of their date. Now, he is certain that this is a date. Shopping, watching a movie, and then having lunch. All with stealing glances and touches here and there. Complete with an apparent blush in the older’s face whenever Hanbin shows some kind of affection. He began to think that maybe, he does have a chance to start something.

A flower might actually bloom from his seemingly hopeless crush.

“Hey, Hanbin-ah...” Jinhwan broke the serene stillness between them. Hanbin swifted his gaze to his hyung and answered with a hum. “You know, it is actually true that the other kids asked me to get this day off for them... It is even Yunhyeong’s idea to ask you out.”

He does not know why hearing the obvious could actually sunk his heart. His mouth suddenly feels bitter and he loosen his grip onto the other’s hand.

“It is true that they took advantage of my kindness...” Hanbin does not want to yell, or get angry, he just want to dissapear and pretend the last bit of the evening did not happen. But it is happening. Oh, how much he hates not having things under control.

“.... at least they thought they were.”

He tears his gaze from the concrete and finally look at his hyung, whose blush is the color of the evening sky. Hanbin does not quite understand the last remark. “What?”

“Well, they thought they’re asking me a favor. Let’s just say....” Jinhwan stopped in his track to fully face the other. He took a deep breath and said barely above a whisper. “I took advantage of their request so I can have the captain for myself today...”

Hanbin heard it though, but it does not mean that he instantly gets the underlying message lurking around in those sentences.

Tired of waiting, or maybe he finally figuring it out that his presence renders the other dumb, Jinwhan tiptoed in his feet and gives the other a shy, lingering kiss on the lips. “Will you say something now?”

He does not though, for he can only grin cheekily and lean down to give his hyung—HIS Jinan-hyung—another kiss. Slow, sweet, and perfect.

 

Hanbin likes to be in control, but little surprises in the form of Kim Jinwan are always gladly welcomed.

 

.

 

Epilog:

“They kiss! They kiss!”

“Oh my God this is daebak!”

“Urgh, my eyes. It’s a public place!”

“Shut up, Junhoe. You’re just jealous!”

Kim Jiwon could not hide his grin at his team members, who are both excited and jealous that their Satan-Setter is getting himself their precious hyung. “See, I told you it is worth stalk them a lil’ bit...”

The others are giving him a thumbs up when he feels his handphone vibrated in his pocket. Two incoming messages.

 

From: Captain

KIMBAB!!! JINAN-HYUNG’S MINE! FINALLY YEEEAH!

 

From: Jinhwan-hyungie

You won’t believe it! I’ll tell you the detail tonight! *>~<*

 

 He laughed so loud.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Still think there's something wrong with this fic. But no matter how many times I edit, I just could not get it right :-/

I hope whoever you are who stumbled upon this piece actually enjoy it. Hahahaha

But seriously, this tag need more fanfics. I mean, those two are.... yeah, like that.