Breaking News

Against All Odds

"Breaking News"

 

“... And the man didn’t even budge to move! I mean, he knew clearly that I have luggage and bags to bring. Why he’s not at least move a bit? It’s so freaking annoying! But thank God, the guard there saw me and finally, someone helped me to get the luggage checked and I could go to the boarding room without any hassle” I say as I dry my hair with the towel covering my head.

I’ve just back from a business trip in Sydney, Australia for a week and now I’m catching up with my dear boyfriend, Jongin. He looks awesome as I always see him and he smiles brightly when I tell him the story at the airport earlier. He brings the food to the table in the living room as we’re preparing the dinner there. Jongin picked me up at the airport this evening and since it’d be tiring for both of us to head home and then go out again for dinner date, we decided that it’s the best to stay at home while having dinner and maybe sipping some wine later.

I’ve just had my bath and I start to wander around my apartment only in my underwear and his big loose shirt, the one I love the most as my sleeping attire. My wavy short hair looks wet and messy, but I really like to spend a day like this; when I don’t have to spend sixty minutes to prepare my face and my hair to the world. Letting my face free from the makeup is actually hard to do, so when I get the chance, I go all the way. And my boyfriend here doesn’t seem to bother a bit.

“So how was Seoul? Is there anything nice to hear?” I ask Jongin, sitting next to him as I put the towel away to the laundry basket across the room.

Jongin chews his drumstick and shakes his head. “There’s nothing in particular. It gets a little boring when you’re not around” he answers, smiling at me. “Work is work, just like usual. You know the endless meeting with marketing team and argue in between their internal team, blah. I’m more excited to prepare my project” he shrugs, eating the drumstick again.

I take the chicken , giving it to his plate and only enjoy the chicken wings along with the fries. “The Andromeda project?”

“Yep, that one. If I can show the board that this project can save up to billion dollars, they will love me more and for sure, promote me. Isn’t it great?” he says as he smiles in excitement. I only nod and smile along with him. I watch him as he eats his food, loving the chicken and the perfect mayonnaise.  

Jongin is a man with a little boy trapped inside. He’s a double agent, if I may say. Sometimes he can be so serious, but then he can be so fun and witty. In other times, he will go all cranky, but when it’s me who gets mad, he will try his best to calm me down. He’s a man, but he’s also a boy. And having him by my side for three years made me think that I started to understand about him more. I know what he likes and dislikes, I know what he thinks when he look at someone talking without blinking (it means interesting), and if he starts to tap on his feet means that the talk is boring.

Jongin likes chicken more than any of man I know. He always loves the drumstick and the part. I was once joke to him that I may don’t have to cook the rest of my life as long as there’s a chicken store open and he said yes. He knows that I’m a bit messy in cooking department so he basically eats everything I cook, but also choose to do delivery order when he think it’s impossible to eat what I made. He knew how to make me feeling better in a bad day after work and it’s not weird to know that I can make him feeling better as well when he’s the mad one. We’re made for each other, that’s the clearest thing I know ever since we’re in a relationship.

He’s the one, and I’m never surer than when he gave me the ring, a proof of his promise to stay with me forever.

We’re enjoying the dinner with movies and finally, the wine. My body feels so tired; I’m not going to be surprised if I suddenly lose my ability to walk. It’s so painful to stand on heels for hours during the meeting and at the airport before I arrived home. But now that I feel good after bath and under the wine effect, I comfortably lean to my boyfriend’s shoulder, kissing his shoulder before I put my arm around his.

“I miss you” he says, kissing the top of my head as we saw the TV commercial, he turns the volume low so we can talk to each other better.

“I miss you too. The workshop was so boring... But I think we should go to Sydney again later on. For a vacation” I say to him, smiling.

“Sure” he responds, kissing my hair again.

Despite my tired body, I still try my best to satisfy Jongin. I know when he said ‘I miss you’; it means that he misses me and my body. So I change my position from sitting next to him to sitting on his lap, facing him. I smile as I look at his surprised face. Jongin quickly shakes his head.

“Not today, Baby. You’re tired” he says as he places his palm on the both sides of my shoulder.

“At least I want to kiss you goodnight” I shrug my shoulder before I placed a kiss on his full lips. It only takes seconds before Jongin replies my kiss and kisses me harder than I planned it would be. I put my arms around his neck, titling to the side so I can kiss him deeper while he explores my skin on the back as he has his arms touching my spine and grabbing my bottom.

It’s been a while since we’re getting touchy around each other; the furthest we go is kissing these days. It’d be the same tonight, but at least I want him to know that I still desire him, just like those days when we explored our ual relationship towards one another. I end the kiss with a long smooch before I slowly move away from him, softly caressing his cheeks. His jaw is one of his best features that I love the most, and touching it is kind of a habit for me when we’re kissing.

“Sleep, now?” he asks, tracing the bottom of my lips.

I nod and then giggle when he bring us up, with my legs around his hips. I move forward and put my head on his shoulder, running my fingers though his hair. In this position we’re both close to each other, skin to skin. I kiss his neck slowly before placing my lips near his ear and whisper.

“I love you, Baby”  

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

What I love about Sunday is the fact that I can get up late, stay more hours than I should be on the bed, and of course, a date with Jongin. Since we’re working in the same company group, we work in the same office and meet every day. But there’re few rules we place in our relationship, in order for us to work. For example, we don’t have to go for lunch as two. We can always go with each other’s friends and skip a lunch together is so much appreciated. And we don’t have to meet every single working day.

We’re actually working in different floor and different company, so it’s understandable if he rarely comes to my desk and me to his. We still can always meet after office hours, but if it’s impossible to do, we’re having the weekends all for us. And just how he spent the Friday night in my place, I was actually staying at his place when we’re back from the bar last night. It’s becoming a routine for both of us. We’re not living together, but we both have our clothes and stuff in our apartments.

Jongin is on the phone with his mother when I walk out from the room, trying to serve myself with the cereal for breakfast. I’ve been eating too much these days, I need to clean up my stomach.

“Mmhmm. She’s here, Mom. You better ask her on your own” Jongin says as he rolls his eyes and then turns the phone to speaker mode, moving it closer to me. “Mom, Sera is here” he says again.

“Sera? Sera, can you hear me?” his mother’s warm voice is heard all over the room and I smile at him before replying to the most important person in Jongin’s life, his mother.

“Hello, Auntie. This is Sera. How are you?”

“Oh, Darling! Why you never call me, huh? I miss you so much, you’ve been traveling too many these days...” she says in disappointed yet soft words. “How are you, Honey? I’m fine here along with Jongin’s dad”

“I’m fine too, Auntie. And I miss you. So sorry I have not yet called you...” I say apologetically.

“Do you have a plan today with Jongin, Sera?”

I look at Jongin; he just looks back at me. “Hmm. I’m not sure yet, Auntie. Why?”

“Is it okay for me to ask you two for a lunch together, Sera?”

I whisper to Jongin, mouthing him yes or no. And he replies in the most annoying ay a man could reply, up to you.

“Sure, Auntie. It’s fine with both of us. Should I book the place? Or do you have any particular place you want for our lunch?”

“I’ll book the place, Sweetheart. I’ll text you the address. See you there”

I end the call and give Jongin back his phone. He looks a little uncomfortable, make me wonder if there’s anything wrong with his mother’s call earlier.

“Something’s wrong?” I ask him as I rub on his arm. Jongin just sigh before he looks at me, staring.

“What is it?” I ask him again, confuse with the way he stares at me.

“My parents... they really like you, you know?” he says, scoffing.

“Well, I never feel like they hate me though. And as long as I recall, they always treat me well. So yes, I think they like me... Does your mom say anything about me? Does she secretly hate me? Did I do something wrong?”

I start to feel worry a bit here. Jongin’s parents are a kind of parent everyone would want. His father is a nice calm guy, typical a good father that won’t bother his kids. His mother is an epitome of perfection; I envy how Jongin could be love by such a caring mother like her. Not that I hate my mother, but I spent a lot of my childhood being taken care by my grandparents for my mother should do all the work since my father passed away; so I rarely spent time with my mother, except for the weekend. But with his parents, I finally feel the parents’ love, a complete one. His father is more than just my boyfriend’s father; he gradually calls me, just asking if I’m okay. And I think that’s because on the Father’s Day two years ago, I made him a special scrapbook, just because both me and Jongin think that he’s awesome, we want to give him something special.

Jongin smiles as he heard my worry, he cups my face and then pinch my nose.

“No, they’re not, Baby. They love you. A lot” he says, assuring me.

“Then why you look uncomfortable about the lunch?”

Jongin shakes his head softly.

“I’m afraid that you’ll feel awkward, about them trying to contact you directly. I mean, yes we’ve been in a relationship for quite a long time. But I’m afraid that they’re being too much... “

This time, it’s me who look at him in confuse.

“And why is that make you afraid?”

Jongin seems to have a hard time to say what he has in mind, just like his usual self. Jongin has this tendency of putting things on his mind, afraid that he may hurt the person if he says out loud what he’s been thinking of. Oh my soft-heart man...

“Baby, see this?” I show him the ring he gave me six months ago, the promise ring. Jongin looks at it and then change his stare to me.

“It’s enough to tell that your parents soon to be mine as well. I know we’re not that soon going there, it’s still a long path... but you don’t have to feel that it’s weird for them to be comfortable and close to me. You know more than me how much my mother used you too talk her thought to me...” I take his hand, holding on it.

Our parents already in a state that we’re comfortable with each other. Jongin’s parents can talk to me if they have anything they want to talk about us, about them, about anything. And so does my mother. Jongin is the son she always wants to have, if she never has me as her daughter in the first place. It makes me wonder why Jongin thinks that I may feel uncomfortable with what his parents do. We’re both coming from a small family where both of us are the only child from both families; I think it’s normal for our parents to feel the kind of exchange in between us.

“I’m so lucky to have you, Baby” that’s all he says before he kisses my cheek and goes to the bathroom, getting ready.

And I’m here still sitting on the couch, watching his back as he leaves the kitchen. Another thing I like when I ogling over my boyfriend, his perfect back. Darn it.

I’m so blessed to have him as my dearest lover.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lunch with Jongin’s parents went well and it’s such a happy thing to catch up with them. We had a nice lunch at one of the famous Italian restaurant. Jongin is actually a big fan of Italian food, so his mother just knew the right place to pamper her only son. And it’s so nice to see how he copes up with his parents. Although Jongin is actually could be awkward sometimes, I always feel this happy and relieve thought when I see him being so free and relax around his parents, the only time I could see him being totally on his own. I never know why he grew up being a person who’s totally trying his best to keep other’s feeling, rather than thinking of his own.

We continued the lunch with the furniture shopping, one thing that I always like to do. I recall that I need a new bed lamp, new bed cover, and some cute pillow to accompany my new couch. Jongin, as always, remain calm next to me as I ask him which stuff to take. I put new rug as well for his place, he’s been complaining his old rug but do nothing about it, so I guess it’s the time to buy the new one. And that’s when we meet Park Chanyeol and his fiancé.

Chanyeol is the one of the brand manager in our office, working closely with Jongin who’s the media strategic manager. His fiancé is not working in the same office, she’s a runway model and the news of them getting engage was actually broadcasted all over the nation. His fiancé is polite and look sweet, totally far from what people of a model would be snob and annoying.

“Shopping for the apartment, huh?” Chanyeol asks as he puts his arm around her shoulder. They totally look perfect together, both are tall, good looking, and have this lovely happy couple aura that made people around them envy.

“Yes, Sera is in need of shopping for her apartment apparently” Jongin comments, adding a small laugh.

“You two haven’t moved in, yet?”

The question left us looking at each other but then we shake our heads. Chanyeol then teased us with the thought of us moving in since we’re unofficially engage but yet have the plan to get there.

When we’re doing this kind of stuff, it’s not odd to find our friends asking about why we’re not staying together. Despite for having stuff in our place, why not moving into one place? That’s the question that always asked to us, but both Jongin and I knew better that we’re not ready to that step yet. I mean... I get used to the view of having Jongin sleeping next to me when I wake up in the morning or when I walk out from his bathroom only in my towel and see Jongin having breakfast while he reads the news through his phone. It is something common and we get used to it. But we never really talk about moving together. Or is it him who’s not ready?

I know I suppose not to mention Chanyeol’s question earlier, but I have something in my mind about it.

“Jongin” I call him as we’re on way back to my apartment.

“Hmm?”

“What do you say about us living together?”

I notice the sudden changing of the mood after I let out my question. Jongin clears his throat, taps on the stir of his car.

“Hmm? Living together as in... I move to your place?” he responds.

“Or I move to your place...” I add, checking on him. “I mean... It’s not about what Chanyeol asked earlier, no it’s not. It’s just... I think this is the right time for us to stay closer? We’ve been back and forth between your place and mine all a while these months...”

He doesn’t say anything after he listens to my explanation, but maybe he just need a time.

“I’ll think of it” he says, resume his driving.

I ignore the sudden change in him. I don’t want to start a fight with him, because if he’s against this idea, I will always welcome his thought. We are not a high school couple who fight over who’s not contacting who. We’re a mature couple, who talk when we have a problem and be honest about everything. It’s listed in our rules, to talk everything; good or bad things, face to face. No need to pretend that we’re fine while we’re not.

We finally arrived in the parking basement of my apartment. As usual, Jongin will open the trunk before we take all of the stuff we bought. But before I could open my seatbelt, Jongin suddenly take my hand, asking me to stay for a while in the car.

“I want to be honest with you” he says, looking directly to me.

I look back at him, waiting. “Is there anything wrong?”

Jongin looks at me with a serious face, he’s gulping but he doesn’t leave his stare on me.

“Hon-“

“There’s another woman” Jongin suddenly says, cutting my word.

I blink. One time, two times, three times. I try to recall what he said.

There’s another woman. Another woman of what?

“Jongin?”

Jongin sighs, he closes his eyes before he opens it again, still looking at me. I don’t understand the statement he said earlier.

“I want to be honest with you, Sera... There is another woman” he stops talking, now starting to divert his stare to his lap.

“In our relationship” he adds.

And the last sentence he said hit me so hard that I suddenly feels like having a hard time to breath, to think, to do anything right. I hold the tip of my seat, trying to get a grip on something.

“J-jongin...”

He looks at me, apologetically.

“I’m sorry, Sera. But I’m having affair behind your back”

And after all this time, I think we’re fine.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

First chapter.

It’s not as long as my usual chapter in previous story, but as the story progress, it will grow eventually. So I’m preparing the best I can do for the second chapter.

It’s a story that I just think about and I thought...why not? Why not exploring the other side of relationship that always drives people crazy? I take the affair theme this time. And let’s see in the future whether I can make it work or not.

More of Sera and Jongin in the next chapters. Hope you enjoy it, Guys!

 

xoxo,

yuriyaa