White Mocha

Security Blanket

It had been a week since the attack. Sehun's cuts and scrapes had healed, for the most part (nothing a little makeup couldn't fix) and things felt relatively back to normal. Their manager, Suho, had given them the order not to go outside alone, to which everyone gladly obliged.

The band was gathered in a bright room, a handful of staff members scurrying around making the final adjustments to their clothes and makeup before the photoshoot. Suho entered the room and clapped his hands to call the attention towards him.

"Okay, everyone! As you know, there's recently been the need for more security around here. I've hired someone to accompany you to all of your events from now on. For safety reasons." He poked his head out of the door and made a gesture for someone to come in. Sehun felt his jaw drop to the floor.

"Everyone, meet Huang Zitao!" Tao entered and stood next to Suho, hands clasped behind his back and towering over the shorter man. A corner of his mouth turned up a bit as his eyes met Sehun's. Sehun couldn't help the look of shock on his face.

"Hello, Sehun. You're looking well." He seemed amused at the boy's reaction.

"T-Tao! What are you doing here?" Baekhyun leaned in closer to Sehun.

"Tao?" He whispered. "The same Tao from that night?" He didn't get a response. Sehun was still trying to wrap his brain around it.

"I look forward to working with all of you." He gave a slight bow, eyes still locked with Sehun's.

"Work! That's right, back to work! You don't want to keep the photographers waiting, now." Suho chimed in, ushering the group of boys toward the forest of cameras.

So much for things being back to normal.

 

//

 

"You didn't tell me he was so handsome!" Jongin teased with a light elbow to Sehun's side. Tao had been working with them for four days now. He was always in the background, quietly observing. His presence put Sehun at ease, and his polite mannerisms made him well liked by the staff members. "Kind of scary looking though. Like I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley." Sehun shot him a quick glare. "Heh, oops...." Jongin trailed off.

"Jongin, chin up please. There you go." A photographer instructed, trying to find the best angle. The sound of the shutter went off a couple times.

"Seriously though, he has one hell of a reputation. According to Luhan, anyway. You know how that guy loves to eavesdrop." Luhan was a close friend of theirs, from a band of the same company. He'd seen him lingering around with the other members a while ago. Jongin kept chatting.

"Anyway, Tao just came here from China. I guess he's like, some sort of wushu master or whatever. No one back home dared to mess with him." Jongin switched his pose, going for a casual-but-y type of look. Sehun moved his hand to comb through his hair, staring off at something in the distance.

"Yes! I like that! Hold that pose!" The photographer excitedly snapped away on his camera. Tao did give off kind of a scary vibe, Sehun thought. He remembered the cold look in his eyes when he'd taken out those three men as if it were nothing. But then he pictured Tao as his hand smoothed a bandage over Sehun's cheekbone, and ruffled his hair as he said 'goodbye.' There was definitely a gentle side to Tao, one he doubted many people had seen before. He wanted to learn more about him. He would make that his mission, he decided.

The photographer said to take five, and Jongin stretched and cracked his back in a way that made Sehun wince.

"Gross. Don't do that."

"Can't help it. Hey, wanna grab coffee when the shoot's over?"

"Yeah, that sounds....." Sehun stopped when he saw Tao leaned against the far wall, arms crossed and eyes intent. An idea came to him. "Actually, I have plans. Some other time though."

"Oh.... Okay? What--" Jongin started to question him, but Sehun was already walking away. He made his way over to where Tao was standing and joined him against the wall.

"Fun job, huh?" He let his eyes scan the crowd, thinking he'd be bored to tears if he had to do this all day.

"Mm. It's not so bad." Contrary to what he'd just said, Tao looked tired. But then again, didn't his eyes look like that earlier, too? Maybe that was just natural for him.

"Do you have anything going on later? I was gonna grab some coffee after the shoot, you should come with me. I figure a latte in exchange for saving my life is the least I could do." Tao gave a short laugh.

"I guess if you were going out, I'd have to go with you anyway. So sure." Sehun smiled a bit. This was his chance to get to know Tao. He opened his mouth to say something, but the photographer was already calling him over again.

"That's my cue. See you later." He lifted his hand in a lazy waving motion.

"Yeah. Good luck." He nodded his head as Sehun turned to leave, the corners of his lips turning upwards.

 

//

 

The waitress set two steaming cups onto the table between them. Sehun thanked her and slid his mug closer, wrapping his hands around the outside and feeling the warmth of the porcelain.

"You seriously don't get bored all day? I mean, I would. Watching a bunch of guys get their hair done doesn't seem all that much fun." Sehun blew on his drink and took a sip. Tao did the same.

"You'd be surprised. I heard some pretty interesting conversations, to say the least."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Like Chanyeol once dated a girl who turned out to be a pyromaniac and set his hair on fire when he was sleeping. He couldn't take his hat off for months." Sehun snorted and almost choked on his drink.

"I remember that, he doesn't let us bring it up ever."

"I wouldn't think so."

"So you stay sane by eavesdropping on people?" Sehun joked. Tao gazed into the cup in his hands.

"Actually, I really liked watching you model. You take your job so seriously." Tao smirked. "You look nice when you're not covered in blood."

He wasn't sure why, but this made him blush. Being showered with compliments was in his job description. But somehow, it felt different coming from Tao.

"T.... Thanks. I prefer not being covered in blood, too."

"Well, that's why I'm here." Sehun suddenly remembered the words Tao had said upon taking him home: 'See you soon, Sehun.' It would only make sense for him to say that if he knew they would be working together.

"Wait a minute." Sehun frowned. "That night, you said to me, 'see you soon.' Why? Had Suho already hired you?"

"Mm." He nodded. "That's why I was sent to Korea. I didn't start the job right away because they wanted to give me some time to settle in. But.... I guess I started the job early."

"You could have at least told me."

"You were pretty shaken up. I figured it could wait." Sehun sighed. He looked out the window, it was getting dark. His watch said 8:40.

"It's late, I'll drive you home."

"Aren't I the one who's supposed to be doing you favors?"

"Aren't I the one who was put in charge of protecting you?" He had a point. They grabbed their jackets and walked out to Tao's car. A nice car, Sehun noted. Mercedes.

Instead of his band's dorm, Sehun would rather spend the night at his own apartment. It was quiet, and the bed was softer, in his opinion. With their busy schedules, most of the time it was just easier to stay at the dorm, but he wanted to take advantage of the fact that he was free the next morning.

It was a fairly short drive before they'd reached the address. The night was cool but the skies were clear, and they rode most of the way in silence. Tao parked his car out front and Sehun stepped out onto the pavement. He ducked his head back in and thanked Tao for the ride.

"I'll pick you up around noon." Tao said before he could close the door.

"Oh, no, I can just call a car service. You don't need to do that."

"Your apartment is on the way, it's more efficient for me to just come get you." Sehun grumbled something in response. He didn't want Tao to keep doing him favors. It made him feel guilty. "Really, don't worry about it. Goodnight, Sehun."

"'Night, Tao." Tao smiled, just wide enough to reach his eyes, and Sehun's heart might have skipped a beat.

 

//

 

Sehun was stretched out on his couch, eyes fixed on the television but not really paying much attention. He felt.... Off. Something about Sehun just didn't feel right. Spacey, distracted, forgetful. Like there was something taking up all of the space in his head. Something like.... Tao? Tao had been on his mind an awful lot. He thought of his security guard once again. Tall, with that mess of red hair, dark circles under his eyes, and a mysterious vibe that was somehow enticing. Jongin was right, he did seem a little scary. Intimidating. But Jongin was also right when he said Tao was handsome. Sehun quickly shook his head. What was he thinking?

He sat up and held his head in his hands. He was so used to being in control of his thoughts. What was wrong with him? What was it about Tao that made his head spin, or make his pulse speed up whenever they made eye contact? Why did he blush every time he caught Tao watching him during a photoshoot? And why was it, after all of this confusion, that he wished Tao was here with him?

The answer hit him like a freight train.

Oh god. .

 

//

 

"You're in love with Tao!" Jongin and Baekhyun all but screamed in unison.

"Shh, not so loud." Sehun looked around. He had explained his dilemma to the two over lunch at Jongin's favorite pizza place. He could feel his face turning red.

"It's no wonder you've been acting strange lately." Baekhyun added.

"Yeah, I hear you even went on a date with him. How did that go?"

"That was not a date."

"Then what was it?"

"I-It...."

"More importantly, what's your next move?" Baekhyun interrupted him.

"Move?"

"As in, 'win the heart of the hot security guard.'" Jongin wiggled his eyebrows.

"I.... I don't know. I don't think he'd be interested."

"Are you kidding?" Baekhyun leaned over the table to get closer to Sehun. "Have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"True. It's pretty obvious. I think the two of you just need a push in the right direction." Jongin grinned and turned toward Baekhyun. "That dinner Suho is planning on Friday.... You thinking what I'm thinking?" Baekhyun's eyes lit up.They each donned a mischievous expression and looked at Sehun.

"What?" ....Oh. Suho's dinner. Dinner meant soju.

"Right.... That dinner...."

"No. You guys, no. Getting us drunk? Really?"

"Think about it. It could work."

"Besides, it's not like you're getting drunk. Just a few drinks is all." They weren't about to give up. Sehun had to admit, it wasn't the worst idea. He let out a long sigh. What are friends for?

"Fine. I'll invite Tao."

 

_____________________________________________________________

a/n: tbh i'm already not happy with where this is going because i have no idea how long this fic is going to be and i kind of just started it when i was having taohun craving. So if it seems rushed its because i have no idea what I'm doing and i don't want to commit to a long story...haha....