t h i r t e e n

Silent Love

 

 

 

Today was their last day at this campsite. There was nothing much to do expect to pack their things as the bus would arrive here in about an hour and half, according to their teacher. Everyone was in their own tent, packing and checking their own belongings, not wanting to leave anything in here.

Hayoung eyed her two friends packed her things – the two had been insisting on doing that, reasoning that she was injured. She refused, saying it was only her feet that was hurt, not her hand but both Naeun and Jihyun ignored her. She could only shook her head at the two’s stubbornness. Leaving with no choice, she just let them be, as long as they didn’t leave any of her belongings here.

It was about at 11.30 in the morning when the bus arrived, Naeun and Jihyun walked to the bus with Hayoung. Naeun asked Hayoung to get into the bus first, while she and Jihyun went to the bus storage compartment, putting their bags in there. Hayoung followed whatever they said to her like it was an order, knowing her friends wouldn’t change their mind even she insisted on doing that by herself. She was definitely being treated as princess by Naeun and Jihyun.

Hayoung opened her eyes when someone took a seat beside her. Of course that person was Sehun, just like how they were seated before. Another two hours of silence, she sighed silently.

“Sehun, I have something to tell her,” Naeun stopped on her way to her seat. She was standing so close to Sehun as she didn’t want to block the way.

“Go ahead,” Sehun replied carelessly.

“No, smartass,” she shook her head. “What I mean is, go sit with Jihyun or whoever you want, because I’m sitting here today.”

Or maybe no, Hayoung smiled upon hearing Naeun claiming that. It was a torture to spend two hours with Sehun. She still remembered last Friday, she couldn’t even get a proper sleep because of him sitting next to her, and he on the other hand, was in a deep slumber.

“Jihyun? You want me to sit beside her?” he asked, didn’t believe what just came out from Naeun. Naeun said nothing but nodded to his question, making him to scoff in frustration. “Let me borrow your earphone,” he continued.

Naeun frowned, “why earphone?”

“Because I left mine at home.”

“Do people really share their earphone?” Naeun asked. She really didn’t like sharing her earphone. Well, she didn’t like sharing any of her stuffs in general. So, there was no way she would let Sehun use her earphone.

“We shared,” Sehun stated, his finger pointed at Hayoung before moving to himself.

“Then, you borrow hers,” Naeun suggested.

Hayoung wanted to object it, but it was better if her earphone was taken away from her than having Sehun sitting next to her for two hours. She would appreciate it if her relationship with Sehun was better than this, but right now, they barely could be considered as friend, according to Hayoung herself. They only talked to each other when needed to, and it was awkward – what kind of friend was like that?

“Here,” Hayoung handed her earphone to Sehun, which later, Sehun gladly took it before going to sit next to Jihyun.

Naeun looked at Sehun in disbelief – she thought Sehun would change the seat with the other but he went straight to the seat. He plugged in the earphone right away after he slumped himself on the seat. Naeun knew better than the other that Sehun didn’t really like Jihyun, probably because of she liked to poke her nose in others’ business

“Do you really have nothing to ask me?” Naeun started, facing Hayoung who was scrolling down a website on her cell phone. She was sure this friend of her had something bothered her, and yet she kept it silence to herself.

“About what?”

“Just anything in general,” she answered her with a smile, “or Sehun in particular,” the smile turned into a playful smirk.

Hayoung stopped scrolling her cell phone at the mention of Sehun and turned her face on Naeun, “Do I look like I have any?”

Naeun chuckled; no matter how Hayoung tried to cover it, it was obvious to her that something was bothering Hayoung. “Yes, after Sehun told you that yesterday.”

Sehun might be saying that to Hayoung in whisper, but she knew exactly what he told Hayoung yesterday. Even though Hayoung didn’t tell her, but Sehun did. She didn’t know since when, but she had become a consultation place for Sehun.

“Well, that because what both of you told me are different,” Hayoung reasoned, hiding the truth. Her eyes went back focusing on her cell phone’s screen.

“Same difference,” Naeun remarked, smiling.

“Different difference,” Hayoung corrected Naeun.

“But seriously though, what we both said are true. We were never in a relationship and yet we broke up,” Naeun stated, it was enough to get her friend’s attention.

Hayoung put down her cell phone and had her attention on Naeun – she really wanted to know what kind of relationship the two had before. She wanted to know it, just because. She looked at Naeun, signing Naeun to continue whatever she wanted to say, now that Naeun had her attention.

“Well, there was this senior who really liked me, last year – at least, that was what I thought,” Naeun started. “I don’t even know how many times he approached me to the point it annoyed me so much,” she continued, telling Hayoung how she and Sehun knew each other.

At that time, she was really annoyed with that one senior – no matter how many times she rejected him, he was never giving up. She really thought he did like her, but turned out it was a bet between his friends; that what made her more annoyed with him. That one particular day, she was waiting for Namjoo at the rooftop when that senior once again approached her. She really didn’t know what to do to stop him, not until Oh Sehun suddenly appeared at the rooftop.

“I’m sorry, sunbae. But he is my boyfriend,” that what she told the senior while pointing at Sehun before she went to Sehun and linked her arm with his. She really didn’t care about what Sehun thought about her at the moment. All that she wanted for was, he would stop approaching her and go seduce other girls.

She thought everything would end after she explained it to Oh Sehun, judging at how Oh Sehun didn’t give a damn about her problem, he just nodded and went straight to his favorite place without minding her or asking her anything, but she was wrong. The next day, when she arrived at the school, everyone was asking her if she really dated Oh Sehun. She wanted to deny it, but Sehun came and intertwined their hands. That made her shock but Sehun told her everything; she won’t have to deal with that psycho senior anymore, and he too, would be from those annoying girls if they continued their fake dating.

And that was how the relationship started. They were never more than friend. Sehun was just a friend for Naeun, and so did Naeun to Sehun.

“We agree to ‘break up’ if one of us has someone that we like,” Naeun continued, “and he apparently has someone like that,” she smiled looking at Hayoung. She wished Hayoung would already know it by now, who was that someone.

“What about you? You have someone you like?” ignoring her desire to know who was that someone that Sehun liked, Hayoung asked Naeun. She wanted to know if there was someone that she liked.

She nodded, “but, I’m not gonna tell you who is it. Even Namjoo knew it by herself. I really don’t tell anyone about this,” she stated the truth.

“Not even hint? Is he someone I know?” Hayoung was curious about that guy.

“Well, then; you know him,” she grinned.

“Who? Can you just please tell me?” Hayoung demanded. She really didn’t like this guessing game; she wasn’t good at guessing people. It was one of her weakness, to be honest. “Wait,” she turned to Naeun with suspicious eyes, “Do you like him from a long ago? Why haven’t you break up with Sehun? I mean, people think you guys are really a couple, what if you lost your chance because of this?” she got her point straight, not wanting Naeun to misunderstand her question.

“Wouldn’t that be so selfish of me? Like, Oh Sehun let be a couple because that guy likes me and it’s so annoying. Then, Oh Sehun, let’s ‘break up’ because I have someone I like,” she gave Hayoung a faint smile. Even though it was Sehun who was the one who suggested that they should continue faking their relationship, but she was the one who started it. If she asked a break up a long time ago, when she realized she liked that guy, then Sehun certainly had girls chasing over him now. That was the reason why she waited for Sehun to have someone that he liked before she asked for the ‘break up’.

“By the way, I think I should thank you, I mean, I talked to him once because of you.”

“You talked to him because of me?” Hayoung’s expression looked puzzled. She really didn’t know who he was. “Perhaps someone we interviewed for our assignment that day?” that was all she could remember if Naeun said she talked to them because of her. The rest was the vice versa – Hayoung talked to them because of Naeun.

“Bingo!” Naeun claimed; Hayoung got it right. It wasn’t that difficult to guess, to be honest. “Want another hint?” she asked. When Hayoung nodded at her question, she continued, “his birthday is on September. You can ask Jihyun, she knows a lot,” she told her.

“Sure,” Hayoung once again nodded.

“You have nothing to ask about Sehun?” Naeun asked out of curiosity.

Hayoung smiled. “I’ll ask, but later.” When she was sure what she had towards him was really like, she would ask Naeun about him, a lot. Right now, she just wanted to figure out her own feeling.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Hayoung ended the call with a sigh. She called her father to pick her up at the school, just to know he was out of the city at this moment. She then called her mother, but she said she would be coming a little bit late. She forgot to inform her mom when she almost arrived at the school, if not, she didn’t have to wait this long.

Both Naeun and Jihyun already left. Their parent came pick them up about ten minutes after they arrived at the school. Hayoung looked at her surrounding, the students became lesser and lesser, and now there were only Sehun and her two other classmates.

“Why not you come with me, since your mother is running late,” Sehun offered her, when he saw a familiar car came and parked at the school courtyard. He heard she called her mother just now – he was standing right next to her all the time.

“It’s okay,” she politely refused; she didn’t want to trouble him and his parent

“Your home is just on the way to mine, anyway,” he reasoned, “plus, do you want to wait here alone?”

Hayoung peeped around; there was only her, Sehun and the other male classmate. She didn’t notice when the other one disappeared. Not wanting to wait here alone she agreed to Sehun’s offer.

“Wait here,” he told Hayoung, sounded more like an order for Hayoung.

Hayoung eyed him who went to her bag and took them to a white Audi Sedan, before coming back to her, asking if she could walk properly or not. She was sure answered ‘yes’ to him, but to her surprise, he wrapped his arm around her waist and supported her walking to the car – she didn’t expect this from him.

Hayoung thought it was either his father or mother that came but turned out his brother; she just learned the fact that he had an older brother. The atmosphere in the car was a quiet one; those brothers didn’t talk to each other and it was somehow an awkward atmosphere for her. But, no matter if they talked or not, it was still an awkward atmosphere.

“What’s your friend name?” Sehun’s brother asked.

Hayoung was sure that he asked Sehun, even though the subject was her.

“Hayoung,” Sehun replied coldly.

His brother nodded. “I’ve never seen you before, Hayoung,” he looked at Hayoung through the mirror. “I know Namjoo and Naeun, but this is the first time I meet you,” he continued.

“Ah,” Hayoung was about to explain when Sehun cut her off and explained it to her brother.

“She’s a student from the student exchange program.”

“That student exchange program that you refuse to go?” his brother turned his face on him who was focusing on his phone.

For some reason, Hayoung felt relieved hearing that. If he agreed to go for the student exchange, then there was no way she would meet him. Plus, she was sure he wouldn’t befriend her friends in Shin Hee High if he did go there. Her friends told her that they were never talked to those students who were from Jaeguk High even though some of them were in the same class. It was like there was a thick wall between them, they said.

“How did you two become friend? I’m curious. He’s not the type which easily make friend,” his brother continued asking.

Hayoung could hear a hiss coming from the passenger seat. Her lips formed a smile – Sehun probably just like her, didn’t like the question coming from his brother. The more his brother asked, the more uncomfortable she would be.

“You asked too much. You usually don’t care about my friends,” he stated. His brother was never interested in his life before; his friends were totally invisible to his brother whenever his friends visited their home. “Stop at that house,” he ordered, when the car almost reached Hayoung’s house.

“I know, right?” his brother answered him with a smile, before stopping the car right in front of the house pointed by Sehun.

Both Sehun and Hayoung get off from the car and went to the car’s trunk.

“I really can walk now,” Hayoung told Sehun, asking for her bag which was in Sehun’s hand.

Smiling, Sehun nodded at her while handing her the bag. His eyes tailed on her until she disappeared from his sight before going back to the car, with a smile.

 


[123115] the longest chapter I've written, even though it's only 2450++ words. Anyway, sorry for the late update and HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYSSS I wish everything that you guys wish for will come true, and everything will work out well for you guys. It's 3 minutes to new year at my place right now but I'm  only staying at home lol nvm, I still can watch the fireworks clearly from my house! lol, anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR once again, guys