Five

Secretly, Truly

The footsteps echo in the alleyway. It's almost ten at night, he doesn't understand why Taeik forced him to get him food. It's not like they don't have food at the dorm. He pulled his hood up tighter, and forced himself not to speed up in fear. He was a former spy, hailing from 5446, damn it!

He doesn't want any netizens to catch him tonight.

He continues walking, whistling a tuneless song. He hopes that President hyung will give them a comeback soon. It's getting boring. When he's busy he doesn't have time to be paranoid that something or someone will come to the South and kill them.

His ears seems to stand at as he come to attention, hearing a noise behind him. He squinted, huffed, and then dismissed it as a mouse.

Howeve, there was soon an unmistaken click of a gun, the cold metal touching the back of his head. He froze, but then laughed happily. "Long time no see, hyung."

The man behind him stayed quiet.

"How's South Korea treating you these past fifteen years?" He started walking again, unconcerned of the metal still held to his head. The man behind walked faster, and in a flash, made his way in front of Haerang.

"How did you know it was me?" The man's voice came as a shock to him. He haven't heard his half brother's voice in a long time.

Haerang grinned. "I would always know it's you, hyung." He was the nicest to him. Most of the First and Third Wives' kids hate him with all their guts.

The finger on the trigger wavered. "Be careful, Haerang-ya." He warned, before with a fluid motion, clicked the safety on, and tucked it back into his coat. He spun away, and walked away.

"Is that all you wanted to say to me, hyung? We haven't talked for so long!" He called to the fading shadow.

The shadow paused for a moment, before taking a smooth leap, grabbed onto a support, and run away on the rooftop.

Haerang shook his head, and pouted. "Come on... I wanna talk to you..." He muttered grumpily, and continued his way back home. He wants to eat chicken feet with Taeik anyways.


As he lie on his bed after the midnight snack, he traced the patterns on the ceiling with his eyes, thinking about the hyung he haven't talked to in so long.

When he was a child, no one in his family had time for him. He was the middle child, still younger than one of the Third wife's son. They were always showering his half brother with praises, and kissing his the whole way. However, he was never arrogant like the first son, nor cold like his mother.

He was also the one that always took Haerang to school, of taking the girls out for a heavily supervised trip.

But he was also the only one in his family that defected to the South, two months after he was moved from Concentration Camp guard to Border Guard.

Nobody ever brought of the topic of the disgraced son, his records wiped from history. The Third Wife disappeared mysteriously one month after he defected, leaving behind two angry daughters that continuously tormented Haerang secretly.

He sighed at the conflicting memory, and decided to sleep instead of wasting his brain cells to think about trivial thing.

Apparently he goes by Lee Kangto now. It fits him.


Ryuhwan, at the same time, is still in his office. Why did Soohyuk make him an accountant? It's more monotonous than anything, even more than the two years in the Village.

The boss shouted again, and the papers flew everywhere. The cloudy atmosphere still haven't changed from his first day.

With a particularly irritating computer and bad excel, expressive words exploded from his mouth without restraint. However quiet, his neighbour still shushed him loudly, and then ignored him in his haste to get this particular costumer over with.

The monotonous clicking of the key pads helped lured him into a sense of peace. His mind flashed back to the deal Haerang conducted with Choi a few days ago.


Choi Siwon had one of those rare days where no one is tracing his footsteps and nobody is taking pictures of every action he's doing. Even his band members have something to do, either with their girlfriends or some other things he is not concerned with.

His only concern was that the beeper that haven't rang since he received it suddenly started ringing in the middle of lunch. He fumbles with the functions, before realizing that the location he has to be at is already flashing on the screen.

PARK HYATT HOTEL
GANGNAM-GU
ROOM 5163
140000

He puzzled over the last set of numbers before realizing its the time which they want him there. As he bid a haste goodbye to his sunbae, he wondered how they were able to get hold of a beeper that is connected to his.

Looking at his watch, he taps his foot nervously. It's already 1:37pm. According to his grandfather's tales, his partners really don't like them late. He hopes that this job won't take too long.

As he waits nervously for the light to turn green, he calls a number. It connects to his advisor. "Red." With that one word, the person on the line started shouted orders. Siwon shook his head in disappointment, and hang up. The lights turned green.

He walks into the luxury hotel carefully, scanning over all the faces before recognizing his associate. The man nodded at him in reassurance, and he proceeded to the next step.

The five levels seems to take longer than expected. He walked past all the doors, searching for 5163. One of the sunglasses man paused a few door away, waiting for his action.


Inside, Haerang has a sense of deja vu. This is just like that scene in the drama he acted,where his character went to see his mother.

Before he could reminisce further, the doorknob twisted, before the person knocked once, thrice, and then once. Haejin opened the door with a soft click, before he was faced with a gun to his forehead.

"I am not my grandfather." The grave voice spoke. He walks in the gun still held to the kid's temple. Ryuhwan seems ready to jump on the guy.

Haerang laughs freely. "I know." He smiled at him, before gesturing for him to sit down.

Siwon's eyes narrowed on Haerang's face. "Kim Minsoo. You are bandmates with Lee Taeik." His finger on the trigger twitched, and layed the gun down on the table hestitantly. He eyes were trained on the three former spies the whole time, never leaving their faces. Particularly Haerang's, his silvery scars more evident without the makeup covering it.

Haerang's eyes twitched in irritation as the yakuza boss watches him carefully. "My grandfather is dead. What do you need us for?" Siwon asks carefully.

Haejin's hand inches towards his pocket, the incoming tension making his tense up further. Haerang shot him a look as if to say 'I'll handle it.' Haejin slipped out of the room silently, the three pairs of eyes judging him silently from inside the room.

Ryuhwan slips a picture of the Director of NIS across the table. "I'm sure you know him." He said quietly.

Siwon nodded. "Kim Youngmin has been meeting with him for a year before he was arrested last month." The Choi boss seems to slip into a dangerous mode. "They were talking about shady things."

Haerang rolled his eyes. Of course. Former President Lee Joon was like this too. "What do you want us to do?" Siwon asked suspiciously. He doesn't like where this is going.

Haerang smirked. "We want you to monitor any trades done between your people and his people. We don't want him out of prison."

"I don't work with the government."

"You are not. We are individuals working for our own benefits." Ryuhwan said idly, rolling a toothpick around in his fingers. Haerang picked it from him. "Give it. This is for eating."

Ryuhwan scoffed, and pulled his arm further away. "Get your own."

Haerang pouted disgustingly, and made another grab for it. Ryuhwan exchanged it to another hand, staring at the grown man in fear. "Where did you learn that..." He muttered.

From the sidelines, Siwon watches in confusion. These guys are so weird, he thought. And why is friend of his girlfriend's brother here? He slapped himself mentally. He is really out of practise.

Once Haerang was satisfied with the fact that he won this fight, he stabbed it into the fruits violently. "There's no need for that, hyung." Haejin said passively. Haerang stick out his tongue at the younger kid. Haejin stared back, and then turned away with a quiet huff.

Haerang threw Siwon another picture. "Just want to check." He explained seeing the barely hidden irritation and annoyance.

He broke into an easy smile suddenly,  and pouted again. "Come on, sunbaenim... Teach me your ways. How did you not get caught with Yooran?" Siwon seems extraordinarily startled.

Ryuhwan doesn't remember the rest of the conversation, since he had dragged Haejin to another corner to eat and talkwith out interference.

He returned to the present as a triumphant yell pierced the air. "Soju tonight, hyungnim is paying!" One of the younger accountant crowed happily, his arm slung around a lady's shoulder. She scoffed, and then pushed him off. "Get the hell off, brat."

He watches as his fellow accountants gradually pack up their bags, shut off their computers. He soon did so himself, and then followed to the crowd to another noraebang they are meeting at.

As boring as it is, it's definitely easier than the life in 5446, where all they can do is become better, better, better, and beat out all the competitors to snatch the top spot.


i am in no way, no matter how much i love them together, shipping kangto and haerang together. im sorry.

i would also like to thank the few people that had subscribed to my story. kamsahmida!