Four

Secretly, Truly

When he was a child, he was like any other offspring of a party official in the North. But he was the boss in achool and house, the trouble that no one could do anything about because he is the son of the general.

Screaming, and then a shout. "Get out!" Haerang sprang up, and hide behind the flower vase. General Lee and his mother is fighting again. She is merely the second wife, the First wife watching from the sidelines smugly.

He hates her.

His mother was the best, not even one of the best. She was the only female as Captain, but no one dared to go against her.

In the past.

Before she was arranged in a loveless marriage, dragged screaming and shouting to the beautiful, luxurious wedding. The luxury which meant nothing, and everything.

She looks fragile now, not an ounce of strength left in her. The braveness that made his mother's voice strong and spine straight is gone now, worn down by her responsibility as the General's beautiful, loving wife and her young child.

When his father and his mom fights, it's physical. Punching fists, flying knifes, guns... In the end, they all retreat to their room to their wounds. Everytime, the night after, she would stand above Haerang's cot, and brush back his hair carefully. And the normally cold woman would say softly, "I love you, Haerang."

He would then murmur a sound, confirming that he heard her. She would leave, and have a hint of smile that will quickly slide off.

This time, he has no hope that she would come tonight.

Through out the night, he never closed his eyes for more than thirty seconds. He would listen to the crashing sounds, and the loud but quiet fight at the door. At around 2pm, the door closed quietly.

She never came into his room.

The next morning, his mother came back and smiled at him through her pain. She lend out a hand, and took him, for the first time, to see a rare performance in Pyongyang.

For the first time, she bought him a silver pendant, exchanged with a badge of hers.

She took him aside once they finished, and put the pendant carefully in his hand. "Stay safe, Haerang-ya. I love you." She kissed his forehead tenderly, and stood up. "Live like your namesake if you have to, Haerang. But don't hurt other people."


He never saw her for ten years. He asked around (read: threatened), and discovered that his mom works in a black market, selling organs and drugs. He found out the location of the place, and stood in the entrance for a few minutes before laughing off his distress.

He watched his mother from afar, the stick like figure looking as if she could be blown apart by the sheer amount of people. He tugged up his mask, and fired a warning shot to the ceiling. "Vacant this place immediately and bring the people on charge!" He shouted firmly.

The men and women screamed and ran through a back door that he kept open for a reason. He doesn't want to kill for no reason today.

A few brave men man handled his mother and a few other people roughly, and threw them to his feet. He pointed his gun at them. "Get out. I could kill you right now." He threatened. He later would realize how much that didn't sounded like him.

He kneel down softly, and gathered his mother in his arms. She feels lighter than a feather. "Let go of me, boy!" She said calmly but strongly, her bony finger attempted to execute a move she probably haven't in a few years.

"Stop struggling, mother." He said softly. The other men have already ran. He didn't care.

The woman's eyes widened, and she extended a bony finger shakily. "Haerang-ssi..."

He ran faster than he already does, but he never escaped the bullet that ultimately caught up on him. He gritted his teeth in pain, but kept on running. He doesn't know who's firing. He doesn't want to know. He just wants his mother to be safe. There are no cars waiting for him, just his stamina and strength.

The women caressed his cheek softly. "Stop, Haerang. We don't have to run anymore..." She said as softly as she could. He barely heard her over the sounds of wind rushing through his ears and the sound of him gasping through the pain.

He is barely an adult, he doesn't have the endurance yet.

He stumbled when one of the stray bullets hit his calf. He fell to the ground in pain, taking his mom with him. He extended a hand to her desperately, she reached out as well, until a well place bullet shot through her brain.

He froze with shock. "Umma..."

A pair of feet appeared in front of his eyes. He stared up at the greying head of his father. He never looked so calm before.

That was the last thing he saw before he blanked out.

He struggled futilely when he woke up, tied up in a chair. "Lee Haerang! Stop this nonsense right now!" A rough voice snarled, before slapping him roughly.

His face snapped to the right, some blood running through his teeth. "Umma...."

Calloused but fat fingers gripped him sharply on his cheekbone. "I told you no contact with that woman!"

He opened his eyes calmly, and smirked at his father. "Well, when did I ever listen, father?"

General Lee took a deep breath. "Due to your escape from 5446 training camp, be prepared for your first mission. We can't have our best asset running away again." He turned away from his blood son with no efforts, no struggle.

"Where is she?"

The older man stopped. They all know who he's talking about. "Dead."

He started struggling again. He didn't understand. "Why did you kill her? Why? She was your wife!" He shouted through his pain. "She was your ing wife and my mother, damn it!"

The man spun around, and pulled him up aggressively. "Listen here, brat. That woman never existed. Son Sooyoung was never married to Lee Moonhyuk. Lee Haerang will now only be a number, until you satisfy me again. Get ready for your mission."

The target screamed out before he killed her. He was thinking about his mother.

From then on, he was determined to not care for anything else again.

One year later, it was broken by another boy with the same skill.


There's screaming fans in the lobby. Again. That's what the cute doctor told him as she supported him through a back door into a non descriptive black van outside.

Taeik and the managers and president hyung already left through the front door, fighting through the large crowd of hands and signs and girls. They dodged the questions, and fought through to their van after almost twenty minutes of being pushed around.

Haejin and Ryuhwan left a few hours ago. Before the photos of him were leaked that he was in this hospital, waiting to be released tomorrow. He told them to leave so that they won't be identified by the fans.

Thankfully they listened.

Haejin sat on his bed, his homework and work applications scattered around in his small studio apartment. It seems oddly normal. His minds is in a jumble of thoughts.

He remember the detailed report made by one of NIS's people at the concert.

At 6pm, Wednesday, the concert began. Lee Taeik wore a black and white striped collar shirt, black pants, and white converse. Kim Minsoo wore a purple coat and white shirt and black pants. All went well until 7:13pm. Unidentified man started shooting. His face was covered by a baseball bat, at seat C67.

Kim Minsoo was shot in the thigh at 7:15. Lee Taeik fainted at 7:17. The concert was immediately stopped, all audiences vacanted. The stadium was cleared at 8:05pm.

Take One was immediately taken to Seoul Hospital. They arrived at 7:35.

What truly disturbed him was the failure to identify the man. Why weren't NIS trying? Is it because they are no valuable enough? Or maybe they hope to cover up the mistake...

He hit himself hard on the head. Stupid! How could they cover up such a thing? Where South Korea's biggest idol rock bank is concerned?

His train of thoughts were broken by the door well. He stood hp warily, and grabbed a kitchen knofe on his way. "Who is it?"

"Yo, it's me, punk! Open the door!" A familiar voice shouted.

"Yoon Yoojoo?" His bare feet padded on the floor, and he opened the door slowly, the kitchen knife at ready. Even if that will not defend against professionals, he will not go down without a fight.

Yoojoo stepped into the house, and noticed the knife in his hand. "Wh..what is that for?"

Haejin looked down to his tightly knuckled hand, and waved it awkwardly. "Cooking..." He lied lamely.

"Have you heard of the shooting at Take One's concert? My sis almost went crazy because of that. " Yoojoo asked.

Of course he had heard of it. His comrade captain is the person shot. He didn't say that out loud. "No. What happened?"

Yoojoo started explaining in animated gestures, which Haejin payed no attention to. His thoughts were pinned on the badge on his shirt. The badge shined a sinister light. It didnt bid well with him.

"Yoojoo.... What's that badge?" He asked curiously.

Yoojoon fingers it subconsciously. "Oh. My sister's boyfriend gave it to me. Said it was some kind of good luck." He murmured.

"Can I see?" He held out his hand. He wants to make sure if that's what he's actually seeing.

Yoojoo puts a protective hand over it, but took it off none the less. "Don't ruin it, or I'll kill you." He threatened, raising a hand in the air as if to strike him.

"Ya ya, I won't." Haejin replied. "Mind if I take a picture? My brother might like the design." He lied smoothly.


"It's the Choi family's." Seo Soohyuk announced.

"Are you sure, Chief? Why would they want an accountant girl?" Another agent asked suspiciously.

"Damn..." Haerang muttered. The Choi family is a Japanese Yakuza mainly based in Korea. They mainly deal in drugs and weaponry. What most people don't know is that the current boss's grandfather has once worked with General Lee. However, the current boss is soft as a kitten. Adding the fact that he's also an idol, Haerang doesn't understand how he could have hid it so efficiently.

"They are dating." Haejin announced out of the blue.

Head wiped to his direction, mainly because of surprise. "Do explain, Haejin-ssi?" An agent said carefully.

"Choi Siwon and Yoon Yooran are currently in an established relationship, confirmed by his brother, Yoon Yoojoo." Ryuhwan cut in. He has recently been to the village to check on the people, and had stumbled upon the three, eating dinner. Choi Siwon almost caught him.

He had hid immediately.

Back to the present, the room has erupted in chaos. Each agent has their own set of reaction at this, but the most common one is to eliminate Choi Siwon. Why? He doesn't understand. He never understood the way of thinking of the South.

"Quiet!" The  new director shouted. When he was a chief, this never happened. Seo Soohyuk massaged his temples in pain. He still prefer being out in the field more. At least he doesn't have to deal with stupid, seemingly untrained agents.

Haerang wrinkled his nose in disgust. "What the , Soohyuk. Weren't they potty trained already? Don't they know they can't kill this guy?" He shouted to the front of the room. He seems relaxed, leaning against the wall casually, but he's the knife hidden on his waist nervously. He never liked loud crowds, even if he has to deal with them every single day.

Soohyuk fired a warning shot into the ceiling when the noise still haven't died down. "That's enough!" He roared. The crowd of agents quieted down, bowed, and sat down nervously. Seo Soohyuk suddenly seemed so much scarier.

"Did you think you would be able to kill a billion dollar worth celebrity idol?" Soohyuk snapped. The agents murmured in denial.

The three watched in the back silently. It seems like the pieces are moving again. The Queen has much to do.