2. Flickering Lights

EIGENGRAU

            The night wind danced with the white curtains of his window. His tired body was sitting on his bed, legs crossed. His brown orbs looking at the distance, blurry, blank. The tall buildings was his daily scenery. He had never looked back since that day, he had never craned his neck to see behind. He decided to forget, the face of his once beloved.

            The speed, the swoosh, the angle, he remembered all the details. His brain refused to delete, his eyes kept on replaying. His heart racing. The fire. The stench. The tears. And his smile, lost.

            He cradled his face inside his hands, chest heaving from the last sight. As the wind blows, faint voice spoke "Look at me..." brown orbs staring straight to their twins, lips smirking. Blood gushing down from the hole. The hole in his head. He choked out more blood, spilling on his arm, wetting his sweatpants. Kris was taken aback. His hands trembling that they couldn't support himself anymore. He plopped down onto his bed, curling himself into a tight human ball, shivering. Silent tears escaped.

            "Why... why won't you stop?"

            Minutes passed as his breathing regained its pace. His tousled hair limp on his pillow, wet with cold sweat. His face now dried, streaks were seen. The wind made him shiver, but that's how he like it. Bringing the cold thin air into his lungs, sweep away the smoke of the other day. Goosebumps and anxiousness were his best friend. Loneliness is his air.

            He blinked once, twice. Staring at the empty space beside him, he recalled the warmth of it. The day he chose to forget. The day that never left his memory.

 

***

 

            Downstreet at 9, Luhan was seen walking to his flat. As usual, more gifts and chocolates. He didn't mind though, his body had resisted to store fat since his teenage days.

            The elevator dinged, the light showed 7. Arrived in his flat, Luhan flicked the switch on, showing his bright room. His smile was brighter than his room though, with white teeth showing. Carelessly he literally throw his gifts on the floor as he ran towards his window, watching the sleepless city, mouth agape by its scenery.

            "Woah, what a sight."

            After memorizing the beautiful picture, he jumped over his bed and went towards his studying desk. There were many books, markers, notes, and a diary. His. He started to line the ink on the beige sheet.

March 9, 2016

            "Today, the ahjummas and teenage girls went crazy. If this goes on, I may lose my attraction toward female. Ah, I don't know where to put all those gifts, it made my room full.. Need to figure out how to arrange all of these.. It really is a mess."

            Flipped closed, the diary was left alone with his friends as Luhan went to take a look at his wall. Dark orbs scanned through the posts, all of them were the picture of the two. The photos of him and a brunette, which has a bright smile as bright as his. Both looked so similar, Luhan tugged his lips upwards. His hand slowly touched one of the photos, the one which had their faces showed clearly. "I'm sorry.. I forgot.." he whispered.

 

***

 

            That day, Kris had to do his grocery shopping. It was morning, the shops were opening one by one. He kept his head hung low, the sunray was hurting his sleepy eyes. He couldn't help long continous yawns along the way. His long legs brought him somewhere he didn't plan, maybe he already passed 3-4 grocery stores. He kept walking until he saw a big grocery store. He entered.

            Scanning all the aisles he only picked instant foods, instant coffee and mineral water. He had been living alone, no one visits, so why worry? Not even caring about vegetable section, he passed it right away. He swiftly went to fruit section, eyeing every single fruit offered. After ripping three plastic bags, he put many apples inside. One, two, six, ten, only he knew how many. Even the teller got shocked on how heavy those bags were, yet his straight face scared him to bring out the comment.

            Done with his stuff, he headed towards the cashier. A blonde, like him, with small features, was standing there arranging his workspace. He could see how thin the boy was, but as he flex his muscles, he knew he was quite athletic. He stopped in front of him, eyes drowsy, he took his things one by one onto the payment table.

            "Good morning, Sir. Quite early, aren't we?" he said with an eyesmile that managed to made Kris paused for a milisecond. He started to scan the barcodes from the foods and products. He could see the boy's eyes questioned on how many apples he'd buy, not to mention his cute unconscious pout. Kris was all silent, the beeping sound was like a continous beating. Other than that, Kris' focus was the boy. He wondered why he was familiar with all those features. He was humming a sweet song as he worked. His smile never left his face. His nametag wrote "Luhan".

            "Sooo.. that would be 17.250 won."

            "I'll pay by card." he said as he took out his credit card from his leather wallet. The boy named Luhan started to prepare the machine.

            "Ah, I've never operate this machine. I'm sorry if I will be quite careless."

            "That's okay, I know how it works." He slipped the card into the slot and pressed the green button.

            "Enter the amount of money I should pay." he commanded. Luhan started pressing the buttons again.

            "Now, press this button and a paper slip will be printed out." Luhan did as he told, and a paper slip came out. "Rip that one out. Then press the button one more time."

            "Now, you have two slips, one  for you, one for the customer. You'll need to have the customer signed slip." He said as he started to sign the slip.

            "Ah.. I see.. Thank you, sir. I'm sorry I was no help at all." he bowed 90 degrees for two seconds until Kris let him straighten up. "It was okay, Luhan-ssi." he said showing his smile to him. His doe eyes widen before he realized it was his nametag telling him his name.

            Kris took his leave with two big grocery bags (one full of apples). As he exited the store, rapid footsteps was heard, closer and closer. Kris became anxious.

            "Sir! Sir with lots of apples!" well, that's him. "You forgot your card!"

            He mentally facepalmed himself.

            Luhan was in front of him, handing him his titanium card. Kris smiled sheepishly on how careless he was. "Thank you, Luhan-ssi. Just put it inside the bag.", he did as he told.

            "Um, Sir, may I know your name?" His fingers danced in nervousness only him to know. Kris only tilted his head.

            "Ah, because, it's kinda bother me when someone knows my name but I don't know his. Well, it's different with those fangirls and ahjumma.." The last part of his speech became a mumbling.

            "You have fangirls?" Kris cut. One eyebrow slightly raised.

            "They queue only to watch me working. They give me gifts that those now filling my room, it's nearly full now.." he said aimlessly and made a pout. His eyes traveled but to Kris.

            "Well, it's Kris."

            "Nice to meet you, Kris-ge... Um, can we meet, again, tommorow? 10? Sunday Cafe? What do you say?" His voice went higher per word he said.

            "Okay, then. Well, I should be going. Take care, Luhan. It's nice to meet you. See you tomorrow."

            And he waved him goodbye."See you!"

 

***

 

            Kris brushed the nightmare off his eyes. Splashing his perfect face with cold water, he woke up from previous slumber. His stomach grumbled so he went downstairs and peel an apple for his breakfast. Stirring his coffee, he went to fetch his daily newspaper on his porch.

            As he sat on his white sofa, he opened the newspaper wide. Wednesday, March 11, 2016. The main news was typed in big letters, 'Midnight Crash, No Survivors." Eyes scanning the page as he sipped his hot unsweetened coffee. The victims were both Chinese. A couple. He felt a pang of guilt, that scar opened again. Car hit the side-fence, fell off the cliff, and crashed down with fire. The had burnt the car and the victims inside, the rescue team had difficulties on identifying them and was still in process of indetifying.

            A sigh escaped his lips. Why did this thing has to bother him this early in the morning? He made a big bite on his apple as he went upstairs, newspaper left in the trash bin.

            He forced a smile, yet his heart slumped. Nothing were able to made his day bright since that day. Maybe his bank investment or lottery winning did but money is not the problem. Something bigger yet smaller, not even visible, deep in his memory, a little something hidden, locked, and never did he want to open it again.

            Finished with his apple, he stripped his clothing as he went inside his shower. A creak was heard as he turned the tap on. Rains of warm droplets wet his figure, he smiled. He continued to shower until he saw something red flowing with the current on the floor.

            He felt dizzy, his hand clutched his head, grabbing his hair. More blood flowed under his feet. He saw his hand drenched with blood,he couldn't think straight. Suddenly he heard a long line of high pitched sound, a sonic boom. Then, warm liquid flowed out of his ear. The water drops he saw began to paint themselves red.The blood wasn't his. Stench filling the shower cube as the blood rained from the shower, he choked. His blond hair was colored red, his whole body shivered as blood droplets rained over him. Slowly, he sat on the wet floor, hugging his knees.

            He closed his eyes,tears silently escaped.

            He opened his eyes, only cold water ran.

            He noted to heat the water again this afternoon.

 

***

 

            "White is my favorite, but cold is never my thing~ There's nothing sweeter than flowers of spring~"

            Luhan was cutely singing as his legs brought him to the cafe in front of his workplace. Well, he was actually bouncing his way there. He was in his favorite color, white jeans, black tee with yellow smiley on it plus his beloved white jacket. Don't forget about his beige bag, a gift from his mother he received not too long ago.

            The bell rang as he opened the glass door, he doe eyes spotted the man with sharp facial features in black tee and denim jacket, his golden blond hair was messy yet still georgeous.

            "Hey there, Kris-ge." he said as he placed his bag carefully on the seat beside his.

            "Good morning, Luhan." Kris said with his small smile on his face.

            A waitress came with two hot hazelnut swirls, she placed the beverages on their table. "This is my favorite! How did you know? " Luhan squeals as he clapped his hands.

            "Just doubled my order, I didn't know it's your favorite." Kris said as he began to sip the warm liquid. Both was enjoying each's beverage until Luhan broke the silence.

            "So, it's Kris, huh? Kris who?"

            "Wu, Kris Wu."

            "Ah, you're also Chinese! I thought you're a foreigner, tall and all."

            "Many think so. I'm Chinese by blood, but I hold Canadian citizenship."

            "Cool! I've always wanted to go overseas!"

            Both Chinese began to sip each's drinks. Luhan eyed Kris, his pointed nose, his bangs covering his eyes, but those thick eyebrows were still shown. They made him look angry everytime. He giggled.

            "What is it?" he voiced.

            "Nothing. Your eyebrows are nice. They remind me of something...", he wandered."Ah! That Angry Bird! You know, the red one. It has eyebrows that look exactly the same as yours! Ahaha!"

            Kris only smiled, his heart suddenly felt something familiar around the boy in front of him. Nothing but pure deja vu. His voice was one of a kind that he was sure had never heard it in his whole life. But his features, he thought of meeting him before. One thing that's true was he never met the boy in his life, neither the boy ever met him before. The thought made him to shrug it off.

            "Hey, Kris-Ge. Do you have any idea on how to manage an overloaded flat?" Luhan asked the inside-his-own-world Kris.

            "Huh?"

            "I said, "Do you have any idea on how to manage an overloaded flat?" Mine is now full of gifts from those ahjummas and fangirls, you can't imagine."

            "Wait, you have fangirls?" he asked in disbelief.

            "Actually, yes. I'm quite popular in my workplace, ahaha!"

            "Well, with that cute face you can lure many girls."

            "So you are saying I have a cute face?" Luhan asked as he cupped his face with his hands.

            "N-not that I- I mean.. W-well, everyone who has working eyes would say the same!" Kris definitely stuttered and he looked away.

            Luhan only laughed it off, "But really, can you help me? My flat is like a chocolate maze!"

            "I don't know.."

            "Please, you've gotta help me. Please?" he brought out his super duper cute puppy eyes of his. Only few who gets lucky to see him doing cute faces. Kris couldn't help but smiled.

            "Okay. I'll try."

            "Thanks, Kris-Ge!!" Luhan cheered happily, he even clapped his hands. He was too cute to  be human. The boy then took out a notebook and ripped a paper off of his little note. He began to scribble something on it.

            "So... this is my address. And that's my phone number if you get lost.. hehe.. Um, can you please be there next Wednesday? At 3?"

            He nodded his head approving. The boy grinned. They let their conversation go until the sun set.