1. weiß

EIGENGRAU

            Footsteps were heard echoing through the dark corridor. His white shoes contrasted from the filthy flooring, slippery from something he couldn't guess. The sun's hands couldn't reach his eyes, black within the dusty shield.

            "Hello.." He spoke. "Is someone here?" He even got the thrill after he voiced. The echoes made him shudder a bit.

            That second, sobbing was heard.

 

 

 

 

            He opened his eyes, blinded from the golden sun ray. Getting up, the white blanket slipped away, showing his lean muscular body. His rosy lips made a pout, hands rubbing the sleepiness away from his eyes. He was such a beauty, alone within his days.

            He went into the shower, scrubbing all the dirt away, despite the truth that there wasn't any. He let out a sigh as the warm water splashing all through his body. He looked into the mirror, staring at the beauty in front of him, silently made a vicious smirk. Slowly, dark red liquid came out from his mouth, trickled down his neck, and then more gushed out. His expression still.

            His breath hitched. He looked away, eyes shut tight. Not looking, his hands rummaged his cabinet. Inside, there were many brown glass bottles. He took one of them and gulped two pills in one go. He left the bathroom, not even went to dry himself. On the bottle, "Mr. Wu Yi Fan 1x/1" was written.

            He sat on his bed. His chest heaving, eyes went blank. The cold wind blew but he didn't care. "I'm not him. I'm not. I'm not. No.."

"Look at me..." and he looked up.

 

 

 

 

            That afternoon on the same day..

            A grocery store was packed with people. Shopping till the end of the day were the mothers and aunties. It was such a hectic day for Luhan, a guy with cute face, one who had many autie fans. He always had the longest line which he didn't mind of course. He always had that beautiful smile pasted on his face. It was such a fortune the guy was hired there, the aunties would take as many as they can only to hold up time with the charming cashier.

            "Have a nice day, Ma'am." he said as he bowed. The auntie giggled happily but remained on the spot.

            "I'm sorry, but you have to make a space for the next costumer. Thank you for shopping here, Ma'am." he said politely, bowing once again. The auntie left only after being pushed away by the next auntie. Once again, Luhan only smiled.

            Not that he mind though, the manager had decided to pay him more money than other staffs. Occupied with these frantic customer squealing his name in the line, he was already used to it. 'Keep smiling and they'll be gone in the end of the day.', a sentence he always repeated in his head.

            That evening, a young man walking down the street was Luhan carrying many gifts from his customers. Pinks and whites were seen, the gifts were always like this. After reaching his flat, more similar things were seen, packing his flat full of gifts. Luhan only sighed.

            As he put all his loads on his mini sofa, he made his way into the bathroom and cleaned himself. Humming could be heard.

            Inside that full flat, two spesific sides of the room were covered by many polaroid pictures of him and his friends. He treasure his friends like gold and diamonds, he never cut off any relationship. But on the other side, all you can see were the photos of him and one blonde. "Nae sarang." was written with red ink on those pictures.

 

 

 

 

            "Joonmyeon-ah. I need some help."

            "Okay then, I'll be right there in 20 minutes."

            He cut the conversation off, putting his smartphone into his pocket while stuffing all his medical thingies into his suitcase. Fixing his glasses, he exited his room and bid goodbye to the nurses. The middle-aged nurses giggled as he bowed and made his way to the parking lot.

            He drove his Chevrolet to the too familar neighborhood. The street was bright with the lights on both sides of the road, few people on the pavement, maybe just got off from night shift at work. The clock showed 11.34 in bright red light inside his car as he stopped his ride, eyes peeking to one of the window of the building.

            He made his way to his friend's apartment, entering the passcode his friend left him. The green light was on, he proceeded.

            "Kris-hyung? It's Joonmyeon." he spoke to the air.

            He saw a figure sat on the white sofa, he could tell it was Kris as he tapped on his shoulder. "Hyung?" he said to him.

            Kris's silence were creepy, but Joonmyeon was used to it. He sat in front of him, removing his glasses and loosening his tie. "It's not working." Kris whispered.

            "The pills?"

            "Yeah."

            He remembered that day. A tall Chinese suddenly opened his door, drenched with sweat, dark circles under his eyes. He was frantic but not crazy. From that moment he took him as his long-term patient. He kept his medication on schedule and shared stories and nightmares. He changed the medication monthly, minding his screams everynight. Mild, strong, and then the strongest. Sleeping pills to stress reliever, stress reliever to morphins.

            The doctor himself had been busy past year that hadn't checked him a lot. Kris was not that clingy to him after knowing the doctor's business. Until now, he couldn't take it anymore. His voice tired from screaming, his voice was hoarse. He was exhausted.

            He sighed. "I don't think you can take this medication anymore, since the pills have no more effect on you."

            "The pills were actually to relax your nervous system but after these two years, it will destroy your synapses, and begin to crush your cells. You're getting thinner and thinner day by day. We need another way to solve this." the young doctor continued.

            "How?"

            "I think the answer is inside of you, Hyung." Joonmyeon said sternly as he went up to Kris's bathroom. He opened the cabinet and grabbed all the brown bottles, stuffing them into his suitcase. Kris remained still, eyes blank. Joonmyeon let out a sigh as he took something out of his pocket.

            "Here, at least you need sleep." He handed out a pack of strong sleeping pills to Kris. "It's okay since you'll not consume this pills anymore."

            "Joonmyeon-ah... Thank you for helping me from the start." Kris said looking up to him with a small smile.

            "It's okay. That's what a friend is supposed to do. Take care, Hyung."

 

 

 

 

            Tuesday morning, a certain tall blonde in white shirt and dark jeans was seen in a bright daycare. He had rosy cheeks and plump lips. He smiled brightly as he started his shift.

            The clock struck 9, and kids started to enter the bright classroom as he welcome them. They rushed to him, "Kris-Ge! I want airplane! Airplane!" one little boy cried to him. Kris only smiled and put his little figure on his shoulders and he ran lightly. The boy laughed all the way as the rest of the kids were following him.

            Kris was one of the caretaker in the daycare. He was one of the most loved by the children. He would teach them words and its English names. Sometimes he'd be tackled and had tickle fight, which he'd always lose. The children often cries, but he had this charm to calm the kids down.

            His shift is only on Tuesday, he named Tuesday as relaxing day since he could meet the children. Somehow, children could make him feel relaxed.

            This Tuesday, a new kid joined. His name was Huang Zi Tao, nickname Tao, Chinese, 3 years old. Tao had caught his attention. Tao had this uneasy feeling, he'd sit on his seat silently, listen quietly to the teaching until the bell rings. He had this cute panda plushie that he always carry everywhere. In the break time, he wouldn't go from his seat. He would sit there alone far behind the classroom, eyes fixated on his books.

            After the teaching, he dismissed the class and let the children to play outside. Of course, Tao was still sitting quietly on his seat, writing something unreadable on his book. Kris squatted in front of his red desk. "Hello there, my name is Kris. What's your name?" Kris asked though he already knew the answer. He had his 6 billion dollar smile pasted on his face as he offered his hand for a shake. The kid only saw him with blank eyes.

            "I'm Tao." the tune was slightly off. Kris tilted his head. His hand withdrew silently.

            "Ah, Tao. Nice to meet you. Gege has something fun to play with. Do you wanna join me?"

            His answer was silence. Instead of answering, he was seen scribbling something on his book. With Chinese letters, he wrote in his handwriting; 'Wo de ai shi ni.'

            "My love is you?"

            "My friend is always silent. He told me to write. But I don't know how to write." he said to his panda plushie. His little hand gripped the pencil tight and began to scribble again. The sheet was full of unreadable , yet the phrase stood out perfectly in the center. "He said he'll know."

            "Know what?"

            "What I mean to say."