Dark Chocolate Truffle

Love Story
Please log in to read the full chapter

“If you only have one smile in you, give it to the people you love.”

–Maya Angelou

He’s the quiet, smart kid who sits dead center at the front of class, always ready to answer correctly but he never volunteers himself. Teachers love him, because he’s responsible and reliable and respectful. He’s at the top of the class and probably the top of the grade too, and he’s handsome and kind.

But he’s withdrawn. I have yet to see a genuine smile on his face.

I am his female counterpart. If it isn’t him, it’s me. He’s my rival, but I’m intrigued by him. While he’s surrounded by friends and admirers, I have but a few confidantes. But people respect me, and that’s all I really care about.

I like to observe. Especially him. Watching him is my guilty pleasure. He doesn’t waste a single movement; it’s fascinating. Every move he makes has a purpose. He’s so graceful.

So beautiful.

I adjust my glasses and force my eyes back to my notes. We have a study period right now and he is immersed in a book. My eyes unwittingly flit to him. There are girls crowded by the door, bearing gifts and giggling quietly. Their eyes are on him and each girl is trying to rack up enough courage to approach.

Ah, that’s right. Valentine’s Day. Of course.

I turn away. I’ve never cared about this day; it holds no meaning for me. Only my family and friends reside in my heart.

Eventually, one of the girls is shoved forward and he looks up at her, plain curious.

“U-um, Junhong, p-please accept this,” she squeaks and bows deeply with a pink box out before her.

He sets down his book and grasps the box, a polite smile gracing his lips. She turns pink as he thanks her sincerely before scurrying back to her friends.

The other girls follow her example and they rush in as a unit. He is bombarded by chocolates but he graciously takes them and thanks them all.

I can’t watch. There is an odd tightening in my chest. I don’t want to think about it.

When I look back at him, the girls are gone and he is arranging the gifts on his desk in such a way that they will fit in his bag with minimal space.

Please log in to read the full chapter