Ten

Sanctuaria

Chanyeol's smile wider when I finally recognize him. He scoot a bit and pat the wood, asking me to sit next to him. I frown and quickly shake my head, hoping that he understands that I don't want to sit next to him. But he just give me a look and nod his head sideways. 

"Sit," he says, more like demands. I stand there, contemplating whether I should sit beside him or not. "If you want your earbuds, then sit with me," he threatens, and for a moment, I feel panic. Did I make him mad? I think. But then again, I didn't do anything. I've never talked to him and I never walk or sit beside him. I am surprised when he so casually ask me to sit next to him like I'm one of his best friends. 

He sigh all of a sudden and stand up. He walks towards me and I can see the disappointment on his face. I feel guilty when I see him like that. He take my hand and put my earbuds. He smiles, but I know it's a force one. "Goodbye," he says, and starts walking from me when suddenly, I grab his arm without I even realize. He stop and look at me questioningly.

Well, there's no turning back, right? I inwardly sigh. Biting my lips, I avoid his gaze and turn to the bench. "Let's go sit there," I say, hoping that he will hear my tiny voice and start to walk away from him. After a moment, I hear him briskly walk towards me and I know that he's listening. I sit first and Chanyeol sunbae do the same. He steals the ears buds from me and before I can scold him for that, he put it on my ear. My cheeks start heating up when I can feel his breath on my cheek. When he lean away, I let out a breath that I didn't realize that I was holding. He put it on his ear and turn to me.

"What is your favorite genre?" he ask. I look at him for a second and turn my gaze away. 

"Ballad," I mutters and from the corner of my eyes, he nods.

"I prefer Hip-Hop and R/B." He says and shrug. I quickly open the playlist and inwardly groan. I don't have that type of song on my phone.  I scold myself. "But I just simply love music. So yeah, I listen to everything," he continues, and I quickly open my favorite playlist, which is full of ballad song and start shuffling all of them. Well, he said he love music right?  I said to myself.

The first song start playing, and I close my eyes out of habit. I really love ballad song, and I always close my eyes to savor the moments. Suddenly, I remember Chanyeol sunbae who is sitting beside me. I contemplate whether I should take a look at him or not. I fumble with my fingers and bit my lip. If I just take a glance, he won't notice me right? I think and slowly look up at him.

True enough, he doesn't notice me staring at him right now. But I feel surprised when I see a tear slide down on his cheeks. I quickly look away, giving him some privacy, although I couldn't help but wonder what makes him sad. He look happy just now, but maybe what people said is always right; don't judge a book by its cover.

I know that we are not close, but seeing him sad like that, makes me sad too. I always glance at him at the field when we are training, and he look super duper happy. Whenever his apprentice - Jinah - did something correctly, he will clap his hands and start telling her that he was proud of her with that deep and booming voice. I love seeing his smile, and right now, when he's sad, I can't help but feel awkward.

He suddenly stands, making the earbuds fall from his ears. He wipe away those tears and without turning towards me, he says, "Let's go back to the dorm." 

I spend my time sitting there, looking at him who start strolling away. After a while, I make my way towards the dorm and make a mental note to ask Jinah about him tomorrow.

•••

The next day, I wake up when the clock strikes 10:00 p.m. I search for my grandpapa but found nothing. I try to sharpen my ears, but still can't hear him. I turn to my side and realize that there are two sticky notes on it. I pick the one that nearest to me and read it. 

Your teacher came by and ask me to go home. I'm sorry I can't stay long with you. Take care, okay? I will contact you as soon as I get to home.

- Grandpapa

I sigh and plop my head back on the pillow. If a teacher knows about this, that means that they will attack me more. Of course, I feel scared, but then, there's nothing I could do about it, right? I heave a sigh again and crumple the note. I pick the second note and read it.

Going to school. Take care!

7:15, Joohyun

I snort, barely holding my laughter. I don't know if Joohyun wants to tease me for not going to school or she doesn't want me to feel panicky when she's not beside me. I shake me head, grinning and crumple the note. I throw the note into the dustbin and make my way to the bathroom. Even though I didn't go to school today, I feel like I want to pick Joohyun up. And that's what I'm going to do.

•••

The sun is scorching hot today that I have to bring my umbrella to decrease the heat. I'm fanning myself in front of the school gate when suddenly the bell ring and the gate automatically slide to the side. In a matter of second, I can see the students start running towards the school gate, feeling excited to go back to their dorm. I quickly search for Joohyun, and then I see her walking quickly from the school. 

"Joohyun!" I yell her name after I gather myself. I have to restrain myself from ducking my head when I sense some students around the school gate staring at me. She looks up, turning her head from left to right and only sees me when I wave my hands. There's a confusion on her face, but then replace with a smile. She make her way towards me, skipping and I chuckle at her. She looks happy; there's a grin on her face and her eyes are shining brightly.

"You look happy." I point out. She just smile and wrap my arm and put her head on my shoulder.

"Is it wrong to be happy?" she wryly ask and I nudge her ribs. We chuckle and start walking away, when suddenly she halt, making me stumble a bit. I look at her in confusion; her face that show happiness just now returns to worry. "Are you okay? Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at home right now?" she ask in one breath.

I chuckle at her and this time, I am the one who wrap her arm. "I'm fine, Joohyun. Don't worry." I say, giving a small smile towards her. My mind suddenly drifted back when I first talked to Lay. I remembered how his eyes flickered with green at that time and I know that his powers are healing. He is such a wonderful person. I think.

We start walking back when suddenly a voice yell our name. I try to guess who is it but found none. I turn around and sees Wonshik, Hongbin and Jinah making their way towards us. I frown at Joohyun, but she just shrug and shake her head. I look back at them.

"Are you okay?" Wonshik ask.

"We heard about it." Taehyung continue.

"We're sorry about what's happening to you?" Jinah says.

I gaze at them one by one and smile. I feel butterfly fluttering on my stomach and my insides feel warm. These three people are the ones who talk to me casually, even though not always. Sure, I talk to everyone, but who wants a quiet and shy person as their talk mate right?

"I'm fine, guys. Just a bit dizzy, but overall, I'm okay." I say reassuringly. The three of them heave a sigh of relief.

"It's too bad that we're just a normal students in here. We can't do anything about it." Wonshik says, scrunching his nose in distaste. Jinah, Taehyung and Joohyun nod, and I nudge Joohyun's ribs, giving her a look. 

"It's okay. I'm quite used to it." I mumble, not daring to meet anyone's gazes. It's quiet after a while, and then Taehyung suddenly walk away. Wonshik followed him, waving his hands a bit towards us. I see Jinah slowly depart from us, when suddenly, I remember that I want to ask her something.

"Jinah?" she looks back at me when I call her. I let go of Joohyun's arm and walk closer to her. I can feel that Joohyun wants to follow me, but I just shake my head. She understands.

"I want to ask you something." I start. She looks at me in confusion.

"About what?"

"About Chanyeol sunbae," I mumble and her eyes bulge out, surprise. I bit my lip and gather myself to continue. "When you guys were training, did he look okay?"

Jinah look confuse for a while. "What do you mean?"

I bit my lip and scratch my neck, feeling myself turning into Awkward Turtle. "I mean, did he look sad or something?"

Jinah purse her lips, crossing her arms and think. I look at her expectantly. At last, she heaves a sigh. "Actually, I did sense something weird with him." My interest immediately perks up. "He look disappointed. Or something, I don't know. He always wore his blank face but sometimes I can see that he wants to be alone. I don't know if he sad or disappointed but yeah, I feel disappointed is the best word to describe it." she finishes.

I nod, thanking Jinah and go back to Joohyun. She's leaning on the wall and when she sees me, she quickly detach herself from the wall. Joohyun  takes a quick glance towards Jinah and eye me warily. "What did you ask her?"

I just give Joohyun a forced smile and shake my head. "Nothing," I mumble. She doesn't feel convince but didn't push me. I'm glad that she didn't, because my mind is still processing what Jinah just told me before.  What makes Chanyeol disappointed and sad? I think and the most important thing is,  Why do I even care about him?


Shout out to kiseonnie11 for voting up this story!

And guys, thank you for the comment. I really appreciate it. Even though I didn't reply to all of you but believe me, I feel flatter whenever I read your beautiful comments.

Keep commenting guys! I need to know what do you think about this story. Is it good? Or bad.

I know it's bad because my horrible English sobs

P/S: This is not edited. Again.