Hangout. Where it begins.

The Bestriend Love

Krystal

 

Jira invited me afterschool to hang out. I don't know how our friendship started but we just clicked. Sometimes I try to recall what made us click but I just can't. I mean, we're the exact opposite, both physical and behavioral. She was the social butterfly that everyone liked except those who just didn't like her for reasons I don't know. I was the quiet girl, the wallflower. The typical "asian" as they call it.

 

She liked to keep her hair in medium length and dyed a dark brown, making it look natural. I liked keeping my hair short, with bangs that hid me more and my hair never touched, all natural. I was tall, and had smaller...features (if you know what I mean), while she, on the other hand had a petite figure with bigger features. It bothered me sometimes. Seeing her in gym class running and her twins bouncing. I was in the track team and it looked so uncomfortable and just...ugh. I like my body the way it is. Smaller features? Whatever.

 

Jira ran up to me afterschool and grabbed my arm. She pulled me to the parking lot where I saw Kris, hands deep in his pockets, hair coolly waving in the wind. He was leaning on his shiny black car, his baby as he called it. I got pulled out of my trance as Jira excitedly said, "You know how we were looking for a ride? Guess who I hired?" I rolled my eyes and chuckled, "Lemme guess... Is it Barney?" Jira rolled her eyes back at me and before she could say anything I replied. "I can see Jira, it's obviously Kris. What did you do to get him to agree this time?" She replied with a chuckle and pulled my arm tighter, walking quick to where Kris was.

 

As we neared Kris, I took the opportunity to look at Kris' features, he was looking out somewhere so this was one of those chances I got. He snapped his head around the moment Jira's giggles were of his hearing range which caused me to snap my head back so quick it snapped. I ran a hand to soothe my neck but quickly retrieved it and smoothed out my hair as he came closer. "Yah! Jung Jira, who do you think you are? Why do you order me around so much?" 

Nice greeting

"Because, my dear friend, you know what I can do to you. I may look like such a sweet girl but we bothh know that's wrong. Don't we Yifan?" Jira replied with gritted teeth. "Okay." Kris meekly replied. "Let's go?" He grabbed Jira's arm which mad her let go of mine and walked her to his car.

He didn't even notice me

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jira

I turned my head around to look at Krystal in the back seat. She was looking outside. My eyebrows met because, what kind of scenery would you wanna see in an area around here? Bushes? There's alot of that!

I continued bickering with Kris and heard Krystal shift in her seat. That's the first time she moved ever since we got in the car. I turned to look at her but she was still looking outside. Kris seemed to notice and looked back at her too. We both turned around and stopped fighting. The rest of the ride was silent.

 

When we arrived at our destination, AKA the coffee shop about 30 minutes away. I waved goodbye at Kris after I told him I would pay him back in my nice voice, which always worked. I wasn't lying. I always paid him back.

"Why didn't we just go to that coffee shop down the street?" Krystal asked as she looked around the fancy shop.

"Because, Krystal, this coffee shop makes real black coffee. Most coffee shops add sugar to their so called black coffee, scared that people might not like it cause it's so bitter," I continued without looking at her, "I know, dumb idea. If a customer wants black coffee, give her black coffee!"

She looked at me, "I guess that's a good reason?" She said it more like a question. I ignored her and grabbed her arm instead as I led her to my favorite spot.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"So... Is this where you go everytime your mom asks me where you are?" Krystal cautiously asked Jira. She knew Jira's mom was a sensitive topic to talk about with her. But she answered without care, "Pretty much. Wait, she asks about me?" Krystal swore she saw a little smile in Jira's face but her face turned called as quickly as the warmness came. "Why does she care? She gave me a house, that's it. I've been working for myself ever since they divorced." 

Jira stopped talking about it and changed the topic. "So...Krystal, I asked you to hang out for us to have a Girl Talk. We haven't really talked much these days." Krystal nodded her head. "Well... I got an A+ in English!" Jira rolled her eyes. "Can we not talk about school? I mean like your personal life, who you like and such." At this, Krystal shifted in her seat and her pale cheeks quickly turned pink.

 

"Bingo." Jira said in a funny tone. She crept up on Krystal at the other end of the table. "Care to tell me?" Krystal gathered her courage together. There was absolutely no point in hiding from Jira. They were bestfriends. If she didn't tell Jira now, she would just pull some tricks till she spills the beans.

With all her courage she said,

"Kris"