Ch. 8 Love Fever

The Heir

       The next morning, waking up to the bright sunlight shining through the windows, Jiyeon is welcome with a sound of a soft ding from her phone. She reach over and open the message.

            From: Nichkhun

               To: Jiyeon

               Morning sunshine. How was your sleep? I hope you did not have nightmare.

         She smiles sweetly as she reply back to him.

              From: Jiyeon

                 To: Nichkhun

 I kind of had a nightmare, but it went quickly. How was your sleep? I hope you had a good night sleep.

            Biting her bottom lips as she waited for his reply. She have never been this excited in her life just waiting for a text message.

              From: Nichkhun

                  To: Jiyeon

I had a great sleep. It would have been better if you were with me last night. What are you doing today?

            Jiyeon sit up on her bed and rest her back against the bedhead.

              From: Jiyeon

                 To: Nichkhun

                 Are you asking me on a date? I’m sorry, I have work today. All day.

            The joy of reject him rose inside of her, as she won this round before it even started.

              From: Nichkhun

                 To: Jiyeon

All Day huh? I guess I have to patiently wait for Friday to come then. It’s not that far. Only a day away.

 

From: Jiyeon

To: Nichkhun:

Yes, only one day away. I have to go get ready for work. I will text you later. Bye. ;)

            Ending the message race, Jiyeon put her phone on the night stand and walks to the bathroom with a towel sitting on her shoulder.

            “Have you heard from Nana?” Guk Joo ask.

            Jiyeon stop, turn, and look at Guk Joo, who is sitting at the dining table eating her a bowl of cereal. “No. She’s not home?”

            Guk Joo shook her head. “I went into her room and she wasn’t there.”

            “I’m going to call her.” Jiyeon walks back into her room, grab her cell phone and dial Nana number.

            The phone rings on the other end; she waits patiently.

            “Yoboseyo.”

            “Where are you?” Jiyeon ask.

            “I’m at someone place. I’m fine, don’t worry about me. I’ll be home soon.” Nana said.

            “Okay. But honestly tell me, are you with him?”

            “Yes.”

            “Did anything happen?”

            “No. You know who I am. I don’t like rich guy and he’s a player. I will commit suicide if anything like that ever happen to me. I rather date a monkey than a rich and playboy.”

            Jiyeon laughs at her joke, “Okay, be home fast. Come back the café shop and let us see you’re fine.” She said.

            “Okay, I will see you later. Bye.” Nana ended the call.

            Standing by the stairs, Taecyeon coincidently heard everything and sadly looks at the floor. Nana get off bed and takes the stairs down to the main floor, and sees him standing beside the stair. She nervously looks at him, hoping he did not just heard her conversation with Jiyeon.

            “I’m going to go change, and I’ll give you a ride home.” His tone have change, it was cold and sad. He walks pass her without a glance at her. Up on the second, his bedroom, he change into his new clothes then walks down the stairs and sees Nana waiting at the couch. “Lets’ go.” He said without glancing at her. He grab his car remote at the table by the door. Nana follow him to his car. He unlock the doors and both step into his car. Pressing on the garage button, the door slide upward and he reverse his out of the garage.

            It was a quiet ride. He have turn into somebody different within such a short time. No longer talking to her, asking her question, and doing or saying things that will flutter her heart. It was just silent that speak to her.

            Nana secretly glance at him, trying to read his facial expression and minds. She know he’s upset about something, but what could it be? Could it be about earlier? Could it be he overheard her conversation with Jiyeon? She did not dare to speak, to nervous and frighten to speak a word. She fears if she speak, she will get herself into something she can pull away from. Just a soft and stiffen sign echoes in the car.

            “Where do you want me to take you?” Taecyeon spoke for the first time since the morning.

            “To the Street Café, if you can.”

            Taecyeon grit his teeth and turn on the next street.

            Nervously rubbing her thumb and index fingers, “Is there something wrong?” She said.

            “No.” He replied.

            With that answered, Nana does not have the courage to ask again. He turn the wheel again, making a right turn. Four blocks passed, they finally arrived.

            Nana unbuckle the seatbelt—grab onto the door handle and open the door. Her right leg step out of the car. She stop, turn, and glance at Taecyeon again.

            “Thank you for saving me and giving me a ride.”

            Without looking at her, “Your welcome.” Just like stranger, he said in a deep and dissatisfied tone.

            Nana step out of his car and close the door. Taecyeon grab onto the wheel tightly, his body shakes as he mind eager to step out of the car and ask her questions. Question like, ‘Why don’t you like me? Why don’t you give me a chance? Do you hate rich man? Or do you just hate me specifically?’. Though his heart want too, but his mind controls his body. He step onto the gas pedal and drive away. Nana stand asides and watches the car drives further and further away. Her heart suddenly feels heavy and sad. Her eyes fills with water like rain drops falling down from the sky. It hurts, but she doesn’t know why.

            “No this can’t possibly be it. It’s too fast. I can’t have feeling for him.” In denial, Nana shakes herself out of this emotional imagination and walks toward the entrances.

* * * *

“Sorry, I’m late.” Taecyeon said as he enter room.

            “What’s with the gloomy face? Did something bad happen last night?” Yunho asked.

            “I don’t want to talk about it.”

            “Did you manage to clean everything last night?” Nichkhun asked.

            “I clean half. I asked Yunho to clean the other half since Nana was with me and I don’t want her seeing those things.”

            “She was with you?” Yunho eyes widen. “How much does she know about you…about us?”

            “Not much. She just think we’re a mafia.” Taecyeon replied. “She did not see any blood beside mine.”

            “How is your head?” Nichkhun asked.

            “Nothing big. Just a minor cuts.” Taecyeon place his right hand over the bandages.

            “Did she do that for you?” Yunho asked.

            “Yes.”

            Yunho and Nichkhun smiles a bit. Taecyeon playfully give Yunho a push and notice bandages on his right hand.

            “What happen to you?” Taecyeon asked.

            “Just a little scratch like yours.”

            Taecyeon grins. “As three have too much blood.”

            “Yeah.” Yunho agreed. “Besides, last night I’ve discover your uncle is having a special shipment coming in this Monday. It’s worth 20 million US dollar.”

            “What! That much?” Taecyeon raise his curios eyes.

            “Is it under the Yong Enterprise name again?” Nichkhun asked.

            Yunho nods.

            “Where will it be?”

            “Incheon at 12 A.M. The bay will be heavily guarded.”

            Nichkhun turn his chair and looks out the window.

            “This is interesting. I will definitely be there to see what they have coming in.”

            Nichkhun sigh.

            “By the way, I got a called from Lena last night. She said she’s coming home.”

            “She called you?”

            Taecyeon nod. “I’m her favorite big brother.” He proudly say.

            “My phone was out of battery. I couldn’t answer her call that’s why she called you.” Nichkhun said.

            “Shut up. Let me be happy once.” Taecyeon flash an annoying looks.

            Nichkhun and Yunho quietly laughs.

* * * *

            The sound of ding echoes the whole entire restaurant. Claudia rush to the front to greet customer, but her paces slows down when seeing him standing at the entrance with a calm looks. She glances at the white bandage with stains wrap around his right hand and another Band-Aid at his lower neck.

            “Hi.” Yunho flash a soft smile.

            “Hi.” Claudia greeted him back. She tries to ignore the bandages, grab a menu, and walks him to a table by the window on the right side of the room.

            Yunho take a seat against the wall. Claudia place the menu on the table. She went to fetch him water. On her way back, she carries a first-aid kit box with her. She grabs a chair and pull it next to him. Placing the box on the table, she grab his right hand and hold it towards her. Slightly startle by her action, Yunho turn and watches her unbandage his hand.

            “You don’t have to…”

            “Man are not very good with taking care of themselves.”

            Yunho tenderly smiles. Claudia gently tap the soft tip of Q-tip with antibiotic over the cuts. Examining the cuts, she knew it was just recently. She tries to control her dejected facial expression as she peel the paper off the sticky end of the bandage and place it over his cuts. She takes a Band-Aid before closing the box, she looks up and to his eyes. She scooch in closer to him, peel the old Band-Aid off him, and open a new one. Carefully holding the new Band-Aid over the cut, she press it inward, attaching it to his skin. Yunho gulp—his little apple drop and rise. Claudia nervously looks away. She gathers all the trash together.

            “You’re not going to ask me what happen.”

            “It’s not my business. But even if I ask you what happen, you would probably lie to me.” She honestly replied.

            Yunho agreed with a light nod.

            “What would you like to order?”

            “I’m not hungry.”

            “Then why are you here?”

            “Because I like to come here.”

            Claudia stand with trash in her hands and walks away. Ten minutes later, she walk back with a medium size plate in her hands and put it down in front of him. Yunho confusedly look up at her.

            “I made it this morning. You got me a gift, I thought maybe I can make you something when you come. It’s my first time, hopefully, it taste good.”

            “How did you know I would come?”

            “It’s just instinct.” She replied. “You’re here almost every day.”

            Yunho looks at the plate. Claudia take a seat across the table and watch him observe the dessert she made for him. He pick up a fork and scope a bite.

            “It’s really good.”

            Claudia smiles. Yunho scope a piece and hold it in front of her. She shook her head. He disappointed move it away from her lips. He glance at her wrist and sees a different bracelet. Again, another disappointment as he look at his plate, but manage to keep a calm face. He place the fork down once he’s done eating.

            “Thank you.” He said in an unusual low tone.

            “My pleasure.”

            “I have to go now.” He place the napkin down and stand.

            Claudia looks up at him and sees his weak smiles.

            “Good bye.” He said before he walk to the doors.

            Claudia unhappily rub her thumb over her index finger as she watches him walks to his car.

* * * *

             Sitting at a table alone, Jiyeon and Guk Joo join her momentarily. Guk Joo carries a cup of coffee with a plate of pastries. Jiyeon carries two cup of teas to the table. Siting together at a table, Guk Joo awkwardly looks at Nana.

            “What?”

            “Where were you last night?”

            “I was at someone home.”

            “His home?”

            Nana hesitate but nervously nod.

            “Did anything happen?” Guk Joo asked.

            “No. nothing happen. I sleep on his bed and he sleep on the couch.”

            “Are you sure?” Guk Joo asked again.

            “Yes. I’m positive. He may look like and act like a player with lots of money, handsome and tall, and muscular body, but I think he has a girlfriend already.” Nana said, remembering Taecyeon’s conversation over the phone last night.

            “JJinja!” Guk Joo eyes widen in surprise.

            “My right ear hurts.” Jiyeon rub her ear lightly.

            “Mianhe. This is so interesting and new to me. This year have really change a lot.” Guk Joo said. “It see like you like him, Nana.”

            “No I don’t.” Nana quickly replied. “I hate rich guy. Even if they are the last one on earth, I will never fall for them.”

            “Calm down. We’re just saying, you don’t have to be so serious about it.” Jiyeon said.

            Nana pick up her cup and take a sip. She put it down on the table again. Jiyeon calmly smiles knowing the answer through Nana nervous face and action.

            “What about you and Mr. Horvejkul?” Nana asked. “Don’t tell me you two are dating now.”

            Jiyeon flush as she wraps her hands around her cup.

            “Oh yeah, you were with him last night. And in the bar, he came to your aid…I meant our aid. Are you and him?”

            “I don’t know. He didn’t say anything yet.”

            “But he admit he like you, right?”

            Jiyeon shrug.

            “What is that supposed to mean?”

            “He didn’t really admit he like me, but we kiss.”

            “Then that mean he likes you.” Said Guk Joo.

            Jiyeon shrug again.

            “Oh my god, are guys really that prideful to admit something?” Guk Joo sighed.

            Jiyeon rethink about what Nichkhun had said to her last night. His past. His Background. His close world. He did not say much about it to her. But through the eyes she sees are hidden sadness and secrets.

            “She have gone to her world again. Seriously, this girl like to space out a lot.” Guk Joo said as she pick up a bread.

            Nana smiles and drink her cup of tea. “I have to go to work. I have another photo shoot today.” She said as she stand. Picking up her purse, she looks at the girls, “I’ll see you ladies tonight. Bye-Bye.” She walks out of the café and wave for a taxi.

            “I can be a model too. How come no company call me to model for them? I have a good body portion.” Guk Joo childish complained.

            Jiyeon chuckle on her teas, trying to hold her laugh in.

 

To be continue…………………….