Chapter 2

Won't You Be Mine?

Chapter 2

 

 

Step one: Getting Her Happy.

 

 

The girls were deciding on the best way to get Yoona happy. They wanted her to leave all of her stress away and just relax so she would finally tell them her true feelings about marrying their friend.

 

They seatled in having a picnic by the Han river and the nine of them - the childhood friends and Sunny’s girlfriend, Hyomin - were currently there waiting for Yoona, who called Yuri in the last minute letting her know she would be late because there was a major problem left for her to solve at the office. 

 

The tanned girl’s beautiful face was sporting a frown at the sound of her girlfriend’s bad mood on the phone. The whole day had been planned to easy her into saying that she at least doesn’t hate weddings, but now Yuri wasn’t so sure anymore if it was a good idea since, once again, a wedding was making her girlfriend’s day start off pretty bad. So her friends were trying to assure her.

 

“She loves Picnics! I remember when we over salted the Kimbaps in Minho’s birthday Picnic back in what? Seventh grade?” Jessica was glad that since she decided she was going to help out her friends with Sunny’s plan, she at least gets to do something she will enjoy as well.

 

“Oh I remember that! Poor Minho, it wasn’t only the Kimbaps that the two of you over salted, if I recall it correctly, even the lemonades and the candies were salty that day, even everyone’s cakes but your own! How did you guys even do that, by the way?” Sunny said half smiling and half wincing at the memory of the bad tasting food.

 

“Poor Minho? He just blatantly said to Yoona’s face that he would take Yuri away form her and that what she was doing to Yuri, turning her into a ‘freak like Yoona’, was wrong. He deserved that. And about only our food not being salty...Well, that is a secret, and it’s just sheer talent!” Jessica said lifting one eyebrow in her superior demeanor.

 

“Oh, yeah. Yoona told me that after the party. She actually cried for hours that day because she was afraid I was going to leave her for him.” Yuri joined in, now laughing at how naive they used to be back then.

 

Minho became an actual nice guy once they were over puberty. He actually apologized once he grew out of his bad-boy, pre-teenager phase. Him and Yoona even had the same major in the same college and the girl, being a prodigy, gladly helped him with most of their classes. The girls even went out to drink with him and his girlfriend a few times during college, that’s how over they were the picnic debacle of so many years ago.

 

About an hour later, while everyone was still  laughing, reminiscing and telling Hyomin about their growing up stories while sitting around the red balnket covered with food. Yoona finally got there. 

 

She went straight to sit on Yuri’s lap. The older girl was sitting on the grass with her legs crossed under her, but she immediately took her whining girlfriend on her lap and cuddled her seeing the stressed out state Yoona was in.

 

“Hey, baby! What’s wrong?” Yuri was worried.

 

“I can’t take it anymore! I don’t ever want anyone else in the world to get married ever again!” She said in a whining, baby-like voice before letting out a tired chuckle.

 

The other girls in the group tryed to fake-laugh along not make the atmosphere even more awkward, seeing as Yuri was just sighing heavily and desapointedly behind her girlfriend.

 

Seohyun tried to help out: “Oh, I’m sure you are just saying that, right Unnie?”

 

Sooyoung joined in: “Yeah, I’m sure! You were always the kind of little girl who would plan every detail of your wedding! I even remember you used to draw yours and Yuri’s wedding dresses even before you were dating and...”

 

“Yahh!!! I changed my mind! My baby and I are perfectly fine as we are. We are already going to spend forever and a day together anyways. No need to make someone’s life a living hell for months to plan a couple of hours just so we could say that we love each other since everyone already knows that!” 

 

Yoona was laughing while speaking and shoving small bites of sandwiches into her alligator mouth. She was just too tired, too hungry and too stressed out to notice the heavy vibe her words caused around her.

 

“Yah, it’s not like Yuri would want to marry you when you look like a desperate shikshin like that anyways, right!” Taeyeon tried to easy up the mood by matching Yoona’s obvious joke, and all the other girls noticed that and followed suit, laughing and making jokes of their own while carrying on with the picnic.

 

Other than Yoona, (Both because she was sitting on her lap, so her back was facing Yuri, and because she was too busy competing against Sooyoung over who could eat more) everyone could clearly see that Yuri was not convinced that her girlfriend was joking. Once more she felt like giving up and maybe just returning the millionair ring back to the store where she bought it. To Yuri, it was already evident that Yoona didn’t want to marry her.

 

After a couple of hours, Yoona had already worked her magic in Yuri and she had left the annoying subject behind for the day. The girls were now making out on a bench, a couple of meters to the left of the other bench where currently Sunny and Hyomin were doing the same.

 

Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sooyoung kept sitting there laughing, talking, eating and listening to music from Taeyeon’s car that was parked near them. 

 

With all of this recent marriage talk Tiffany had been sulking a lot because of her girlfriend’s well known aversion to the topic. But she didn’t want to spoil her friends’ happiness when she was having a hard time having fun, herself, so she went to the side of the River by herself. 

 

Suddenly she felt a pair of arms hold her waist from behind.

 

“Something wrong, my love?” Tiffany was glad Jessica wasn’t able to see her sulking face falter at the sound of her unusually sweet english voice. 

 

She quickly recomposed herself - Meaning, her pout - and turned around to face the other girl, never leaving her girlfriend’s embrace. But she was never one to beat around the bushes like Yuri, so she went straight to the point.

 

“Why won’t you marry me? I want to get married, Jung Jessica...Soon!” Her face was dead-serious and her stare into Jessicas’s eyes was unwavering.

 

But the one centimeter shorter girl was not okay with being cornered like that. So she let go of their embrace and took a small step backwards.

 

“What are you even talking about? You know perfectly well that I do not plan on getting married, Tiffany.” There was a reason why she was called the Ice Princess. Her tone was steady and monotone. She might as well be talking about the weather right now.

 

“What? When did I ever agree to that? It’s my life too, Sooye...” Jessica didn’t even let her finish.

 

When did you ever agree to that?” She scoffed sarcastically. “When you freaking agreed to be my girlfriend and you knew perfectly well that I never wanted to get married...” Her voice was finally getting alterated. 

 

There was also a reason why she was Tiffany Hwang’s girlfriend. The girl held the power to affect her like no one else did.

 

“I thought it would change over the time. We’ve been together for five years!  It’s not like we are still young teenagers angry at life anymore. I actually thought you’d take my dream of getting married into consideration before simply dismissing it without even ever talking to me, Sooyeon.” 

 

Tiffany was almost yelling but she tried the whole time to keep it down so their friends wouldn’t worry. But Jessica’s apparent dismay towards her feelings was too hurtful, and she couldn’t keep from crying.

 

“It...” Tiffany’s words hit her harder than she ever thought they could. 

 

Everyone would always , saying that even if she was the Ice Princess or HellSica to everyone, she was just a Whipped B_tch when it came to Tiffany, because the sight of the girl’s eye smile was enough to make her give in to whatever the girl wanted. 

 

Let alone the girl’s tears. Jessica would go to hell and back not to let Tiffany drop one single tear. She was willing to do anything for the girl...Or at least she thought so. Until now, when in the middle of her speech, Tiffany let out something that got Jessica way too pissed off and feeling just bad about everything. For the first time she was feeling bad about them. 

 

She was searching within herself for the usual whipped Jessica Jung who would just give in to anything her girlfriend asked, but this one thing that left Tiffany’s mouth was messing with a monster that was stronger than herself - Her pride.

 

“And how is it my fault that you got into this relationship already planning to change me? To change something in me that I never even mentioned that I was willing to change...Huh? Tell me, Tiffany! But anyway, if the only way for you to be happy is by getting married, than I guess this is it. I guess you won’t be happy with me at all. So maybe...” It hurt her to even think about it. But it hurt her even more to see the desperate expression on Tiffany’s face. 

 

The girl, much like herself, did not see it coming. They were definitely not expecting this conversation to take this direction. She had to close her eyes. She was crying for the first time in years. But her pride was just too big, she could not accept the fact that Tiffany already got into their relationship expecting to change her, as if she was a toy or as if her opinions didn’t matter. 

 

Jessica was not okay with being played. All of these years she’s been confessedly whipped by Tiffany, but she thought she did it for love, and not because her girlfriend thought she didn’t have to worry about her opinions at all, since she would just make her change her mind later, anyways. So even if her next words were killing her, the hurt of being betrayed and played was killing her just as bad.

 

“...Maybe we should break up.” She finished with her eyes closed, not being able to contain her tears and specially not being able to look into Tiffany’s distraught eyes.

 

Silence took over them... Not for very long, though.

 

“No.” The answer came soft and unexpected. Getting a dumbfounded Jessica to finally open her eyes to look at the, surprisingly, confident eyes of the love of her life whom just stole her heart once again with a single word.

 

“I am not breaking up with you, Jessi. I am pissed off at you. But I get where I was wrong. I apologize, sincerely! I didn’t mean to act as if your opinions didn’t matter. But I love you, and even if you give in most of the time, you know that sometimes I do too. And that is because I love you more than I can tell, and I know you love me just as much. So, because of that, we won’t break up. But I need some time to think about how everything is going to be from now on. I need to adjust to the thought of not getting married. I don’t know how long it will take me. But I do know that in the meanwhile, during my adjustment, you will stay by my side, helping me get through this. Okay?” 

 

She said it all messily wiping her tears with her hands and looking intensely into Jessica’s eyes. But the other girl was just too surprised by the turn the events took. She couldn’t even process everything that just happened. She knew one thing, though: Her pride had no chance against her love for the crying mess in front of her right now.

 

“How do you do this? How do you always get me falling more and more for you?” She took one step back into her girlfriend’s embrace and sneaking her face in the crook of Tiffany’s neck, she whispered. “Let’s both use this time to figure out together what we’re going to do. Because you were right, things did change over time, I was just to stupid to realize. But I can see now that all the reasons why I was so sure I would never get married, are just not there anymore.”

 

Tiffany pulled back from their embrace a little and with wide eyes she said: “Does that mean...”

 

“I don’t know...I don’t know!” The Ice Princess - Whipped version - tone was back. “All I am saying is that maybe, just maybe, it wouldn’t be so horrible to make you my wife, after all.”

 

And with that they shared a long wet kiss, from all the tears they were shedding before. But the tears now gave place to birght, unusual warm smiles and precious signature eye smiles.

 

“I love you, Sooyeon.”

 

“I love you too, Miyoung...And my Korean name sounds much better after your ‘I love you’ than when you are yelling at me.” Both girls giggled and resumed their kisses.