Chapter 1

Won't You Be Mine?

“That is not what I’m saying at all...Gosh, why can’t you just listen to m...Hello?...Hey, are you still there? Damn it!” Yoona let out a frustrated and loud sigh when the other end of the line went off. It was the second time the florist’s employee hung up on her face and she knew when the annoying girl picked up again she would pretend theline just broke.

 

Yoona was the young leader of the planning department of ‘Bride On’, one of the biggest wedding-planner agencies in South Korea. She had just started at her new position a few months ago. For the past two years and a half she had been an outstanding intern there, and now, on her first year as a College graduate, the owners decided she was ready to take a higher and more definite position. Even though she was still nailing it, her latest project was being particularly hard on her because the bride decided just one day before the ceremony that the flowers she chose before - which were already organized for the big day - would look ‘just wrong’ with her dress so Yoona had to spend her whole morning contacting the flower shop she was working along side with, so they would be able to deliver the new set of flowers in time.

 

Nonetheless, her girlfriend, Kwon Yuri had been amusedly watching from over her bed the whole time since Yoona woke up at 5:30am and begun making calls even before getting ready for what would certainly be a long day ahead of her. When she noticed how annoyed her girlfriend was at just 6:00am, Yuri decided it was time to try and easy the mood. She was sure she knew just what to do, after all, she’s known the girl forever and they have been dating since Yoona’s last year of middle school, and Yuri’s freshman year of high school.

 

“Calm down, baby.” Came the husky voice followed by tanned arms hugging Yoona’s waist from behind. “One would think it is your wedding you are planning.” Yuri said smirking while kissing behind the other girl’s ear.

 

“No way! I am not having a wedding ever! After I started on this business all I can feel when I look at those big ceremonies is pity for all the poor people who had to suffer and work their asses off to make it come together, and then it lasts for a couple of hours and in the end it’s all for nothing because the couple will probably end up divorced anyways...” 

 

Yuri had to try hard to hide the desappointment the other girl’s statement just caused her, she tried not to be upset because she knew Yoona was just frustrated and venting. It wasn’t possible that one of Korea’s best wedding planner was that uninterested in marriage. Was it?

 

She forced out a half smile and decided it was best to just leave it alone for now. She knew exactly what to do to make her girlfriend’s day brighten up, at least a little bit. So she turned Yoona’s slender body towards her, took the girl’s cell from her hand and threw it to the side - it landed somewhere around the still messy sheets of her king size bed - ignoring the other’s protests and shutting with a deep kiss before she could protest any longer.

 

When they parted she was happy to see the previous frown and annoyed look on her girlfriend’s face were now replaced with a silly and easy smile. Yoona kept her eyes closed, as if waiting for the kiss to continue; Because of that, she missed how now, Yuri had on a smile of her own, seeing the expression she caused on the face she loved the most would never fail to make her happy. She loved the fact that no metter how stressed or irritated they both were, each other were always all they needed to calm down and feel happy again. 

 

She pecked Yoona’s waiting lips once more. “Now go and take a shower while I’ll make us breakfast.” Before the older girl was even finished speaking she was tackled down back onto the bed by a squealing happy Yoona. She knew feeding her girlfriend would always be the safest choice.

 

--

 

“Oh My God! This is so beautiful! Have you chosen the date yet?” 

 

“We need to choose the Bridesmaid’s dresses!”

 

“I knew it! I so knew it! Hey mushroom, I guess you own me 50 won.”

 

“Damn it, I was so sure Sooyoung would be the first of us. Even if she’s still single.”

 

“At least you didn’t bet it would be us, baby. That would’ve been a worst and sure loss.”

 

“Unnie, I’m so happy for you two.”

 

“Is she finally going to move into your bad- flat?”

 

Yuri couldn’t make the seven girls shut up since she started talking. They wouldn’t even let her finish.

 

After Yoona got off the bathroom and they ate the delicious and healthy breakfest Chef Yuri made them, and, of course, after Yoona took another shower - Yuri particularly loved how hot Yoona looked with her bath robe and wet, not-brushed hair, so she just had to make love to her at her kitchen’s counter, and to say the least, they could be...sweaty, when doing it - The older girl dropped Yoona off at the ‘Bride On’ building and went to meet her friends at the restaurant four of them co-owned.

 

They had all been friends since before High School and always kept very much in touch, seeing as fortunately the nine of them ended up working and living around Seoul. 

 

Two years ago, Gastronomy student Yuri, Business graduate and student Jessica and Sooyoung and Economy graduate Sunny got together to fulfill their high school dream of owning their own business and opened a Café. Even though Sooyoung and Yuri were still Junior and Senior respectively and Sunny and Jessica had just graduated College the year before, they still made it work, probably because they had been planning it since High School. Ever since they opened it, they had all been meeting there for brunch basically everyday, before the rest of them had to head off to their own work places.

 

The Café, or more specifically, Yuri’s cooking skills, had been recognized by some fancy  food critic of some even fancier magazine, so now, only two years after she graduated college, she already became a well known Chef and the Café became a restaurant in a high-end part of Soul, but the girl’s brunch kept happening every single morning, even if sometimes, because of everyone’s busy schedule, only the four of them who co-owned and worked at the place could attend. But today was a special occasion and Yuri called everyone and asked them to have lunch there because she had an announcement to make. But apparently, they were all free that morning, because she got there around 9:30am and the seven girls were already anxiously waiting at the big sofas on the restaurant’s lounge.

 

“So, What is the big news, Unnie?” Seohyun asked feeling excited. Truth is, all of them knew sooner or later one of the three long-term couples in their group would finally tie the knot. And seeing as Yoona and Yuri had been the longest relationship, lasting for the last eight years, once they got Yuri’s call, everyone already suspected what the meeting was about.

 

She cleared and shyly begun. “I want to ask Yoona to marry me...”

 

The seven girls’ cheers could be heard from the other tables, which made other clients look their way curiously. They were so immersed in congratulating Yuri and wanting to know more about silly details, that they failed to notice her asking them to listen for the rest of it, so she had to slightly raise her voice, minding the elegant place they were in, and minding her position as one of the owners.

 

“Guys...Wait! That’s not why I called you here.” Once she got their attention she finished with uncertainty. “I asked you all to come here because I don’t think she wants to marry me.”

 

Silence took over the girls immediately. No one knew exactly how to react. Thet all had they mouth agape and were looking between each other and Yuri with confused frowns. Was this a joke? It had to be. Every one knew how crazy over Yuri, Yoona had always been, and still was.

 

With uncertain laughs Hyoyeon was the first to speak. “Ha..haha. Yeah, right Yuri. Haha...” Seeing as the other girls’ sad face didn’t change she pressed on. “You arejoking, right? That is impossible on more than just a few levels.”

 

“I wish I was.” She looked down. “You see, I thought it was impossible as well. I mean, we have been together for eight years and she is a wedding planner, for God’s sake...”

 

Noticing how Yuri’s tone was actually serious, Taeyeon cut her babbling. “Wait, Yuri...Just how...Can you at least explain what is going on? What makes you think she doesn’t want to marry you? Are you two fighting?”

 

Before she could answer, Tiffany let go of Jessica’s hand in order to move closer to her friend and put her arm comfortingly around Yuri’s shoulder. “Honey, is everything okay? Are you two having problems? Why didn’t neither of you say anything?”

 

“What?” Yuri just noticed everyone’s worried faces. She didn’t realize the way she’d been talking made people think there was something wrong in her relationship, when clearly there wasn’t - if the crazy-good morning she just had a couple of hours ago was any indication - she immediately felt embarrassed for not explaining herself right. Was she overreacting? Well, she hoped they would understand her anxiety and wouldn’t be too pissed off at her once she explained.

 

“Oh, actually...err...It’s nothing like that. It’s just...I guess Yoona’s job is making her hate weddings. And today she went on and on about how she never ever wants to get married and how futile marriage is, and how it’s worthless because people always end up getting divorced and in the end it’s just an excuse to spend money and make people work like slaves to fulfill some daddy’s daughter silly wishes.”

 

“Are you sure she was not just venting?” Tiffany understood how upset Yuri might be, because after all, Jessica has been telling her all of those things about how much of a waste of money and time marriage was, ever since before they finally became a couple five years ago when Jessica became a Sophomore and Tiffany had just started her first year of college - they were both from early 1989, but being born in America, Tiffany took a while longer to adjust in Korea, so she had to repeat her second year of middle school, and that’s how she ended up being classmates with Yuri who was born in late 1989.

 

“Well, she does have a point.” Everyone stared coldly at Jessica. That was definitely not the best thing to say to the worried Yuri at the moment. “What? I mean, I’m sure she would still marry you if you proposed, though.”

 

“Yah! Sica, shut up. I don’t know why you hate weddings so much. But that’s not important right now. Yuri-ah, don’t worry. I’m sure Yoona was just having a rough time. You said yourself that her new client is a pain in the .” Sunny sat on the other side of Yuri and hugged her opposite from Tiffany.

 

“Yeah guys, but...”

 

“No buts. Yuri, that girl is crazy in love with you ever since I met her back in middle school. She’s never looked at anyone else her whole life. And before she planned weddings to other people, she used to plan for you guys’ wedding. I remember she was always drawing the two of you on her notebooks instead of writing what the teacher told us to. I’m sure this is just stress, no need to worry.” Sooyoung whom had been Yoona’s classmate ever since middle school pitched in to help calm their friend.

 

“Okay, look. It is not that I hate marriage...” Jessica’s reaction to being scolded was extremely late as usual, but she decided to voice her thoughts either way. “I just think that it takes a whole lot to lead a married life, it can be exausting from the very beginning. Just like Yoona said, it takes too much to plan for it, and after the ceremony, it takes way more to maintain it. Only crazy people would think about commiting to such a thing, but to be honest, there are only so many people in the world whom I think that are absolutely fit for it, and the two of you are certainly on my top-three-couples list.”

 

Everyone looked at her yet again, except, now they were all amazed by the unsual sight of the Ice Princess showing an soft side. They were all smiling at their friend’s emotive statement. All but one - Tiffany was absolutely not pleased with her girlfriend’s speech. No, Sir, she wasn’t please at all. But no one noticed her pouting and crossing her arms over her chest, because as soon as Jessica was done, Yuri stood up to hug her - Though Jessica adamantly refused, trying to push her away.

 

“You guys!” Sunny called their attention. “I know how scary this situation must be for Yuri - I mean, God forbid I ever doubt Hyomin’s will to marry me once we get at that point in our relationship - but maybe we could try and help Yuri out. What do you guys say?”

 

“What do you have in mind?” Taeyeon asked on behalf of the other eight confused faces.

 

“Why don’t we start a mission to find out how Yoona really feels about marrying Yuri?”