chapter 2

How To Love

--

 

Hana stands across the street of her new school. She sighs before shoving her cold hands into her pockets. Hana looks both ways before crossing the street.

 

Once she enters the building, a student is flown at her.

 

“Ack!” Hana grunts, holding the boy up. “Are you okay?” She asks.

 

The male turns around and quickly bows before falling to the ground to pick up his books. Hana joins him, helping him gather his books. His eyes pop open before he hisses at her.

 

“Get away from me.”

Hana makes a face. “Why?”

“They’re gonna hurt you.”

“Who?” Hana a brow.

“I’m the wangdda.”

“So?”

“So? They’re gonna come after you.”

Hana shrugs her shoulders. She stands up and sticks her hand out. “I’m not scared of them. This isn’t Boys Over Flowers.” Hana states. “You want my help or what?”

 

The wangdda hesitates. He decides it’s probably best not to get her involved. “Thank you, but don’t do this again.”

 

Before Hana can say anything else, he bolts from his position and is gone around the corner. Hana shrugs her shoulders. “Whatever…”

 

--

 

When Hana walks into her classroom, all eyes fall onto her.

 

“That’s her.”

“She’s the one that helped him.”

“Who is she?”

“Are they friends?”

 

Hana doesn’t mind them and finds a seat in the back. Before she could pull her things out, a hand slaps her back.

 

“What the f-“

“-YO!”

Hana’s raises her fist. “Who the hell are you? And who gave you the right to hit me?”

“Nam Woohyun. And Kim Sunggyu.”

Hana lowers her fist. “You know my step-brother?”

“Yeah! You’re parents have been married for a while now, why don’t you just call him brother?”

“Because we’re not close.” Hana sticks her tongue out. “And this...” her fingers motion between the two of them, “is not close either. Don’t act like you know me!” She hisses before turning her head the other way.

“Feisty…” Woohyun mutters before slinging his bag off his shoulder.

 

Just as the bell rings, their teacher walks through the door.

“Good morning. Stand up and salute.”

 

As the students settle down after the salute, Hana stares at Woohyun.

‘He’s the hot guy I saw leaving the reception. Ugh. He’s friends with Sungkyu.’

“Take a picture. It’ll last longer... baby doll” Woohyun says, whispering the last part.

 “Shut up.”

 

--

 

Hana spots her step-dad’s shoes and curses. She cautiously makes her way up the stairs, but Mr. Kim is seated at the dining table, staring at his computer. He notices her and looks up with a smile.

 

“You’re home?”

Hana forces a smile and nods her head.

“What time is it? I’m sorry, I should have- ! I mean, ouch!” Mr. Kim jumps out of his seat but stubs his toe on the leg of the table.

Hana shakes her head before making her way upstairs.

“Come down in 10 minutes! I’ll have a snack ready for you!” Mr. Kim calls.

 

Hana slides her bag off her shoulder, leaving it on the ground. She spreads her arms out and falls back onto her bed. She feels stuffy with her shirt buttoned all the way to the top so she s the top, hell, she starts to undress and change into sweats. Just as she pulls her camisole off, she hears a deep hum. Hana looks through the reflection of the mirror and spots Woohyun. She quickly grabs a pillow off her bed, chucking it at Woohyun’s face and slams her door shut.

 

“What the ?” Woohyun mutters.

 

Hana swings her doors open, this time, fully dressed, with her sweater zipped all the way to the top.

 

“What the are you doing here?” Hana asks.

“Well, m’lady, I am surely here to you to the royal ball. Will you not dress accordingly?”

“No.” Hana sneers. She lets out her ponytail before heading downstairs.

 

“Mr. Kim! What is he doing here?” Hana asks, pointing her nose at Woohyun.

“Oh, he’s Sunggyu’s friend.” Mr. Kim answers.

“I know. Sunggyu isn’t here. So he is not welcomed here.”

“Hey!” Woohyun calls, taking a seat across Hana.

“Well, uhm, Woohyun is like family. Our home is his home.” Mr. Kim smiles.

Hana pretends to puke. “If we’re family, he would go to jail for . He was playing peeping Tom.”

“He what?”

“I just…well, you told me to go get Hana.”

“Yeah! I didn’t tell you to watch her…do…whatever she was doing.”

“I’m not hungry anyways.” Hana says. She sticks a tongue out at Woohyun before returning to her room.

 

--

 

“Can you help me?”

 

Hana looks up from her textbook. She was in the middle of a math equation when a fellow classmate asked for her assistance.

 

“What do you want?” She snaps. “I’m in the middle of something.” She watches her classmate roll her eyes.

“Just follow me!” Her classmate whines, flicking her hair as she walks out of the classroom.

“ no, I’m not getting up.” Hana says, going back to her equations.

 

--

 

Hana walks off the school grounds when someone wraps an arm around her. She knows exactly who it is. She can smell his dirty, cheap cologne from a mile away.

 

“Hey, baby doll.” Woohyun coos.

“Go away.” Hana pushes him away, but he reattaches himself to her.

“I was calling your name awhile back.”

“I know.”

“So you were deliberately ignoring me?”

“Yes.” Hana says with a hiss. She gives him a hard shove. “We’re not close. Don’t. Touch. Me.”

“Baby doll, you told me not to stop last night.” Woohyun says with a wink. That last comment earns a few stares but Hana brushes them off.

“Shut up! Don’t give them the wrong idea.”

“You love me.” Woohyun says, making kissy faces.

“Go home. And I don’t mean mine.”

“Mr. Kim didn’t tell you? I’m moving in.”

“, you’re annoying as .” Hana spins on her feet, heading home. 

 

--