chapter 1

How To Love

--

 

“Are you sure you want to marry this guy?” Hana asks her mom. The both of them are in a superstore, buying some grocery.

“Yes. And he’s not just a guy, he’s…he’s a man.” Hana’s mom has a dreamy look on her face and that’s Hana’s cue to puke.

“Can you not do that while I’m here?” Hana’s mom merely sticks her tongue out. “Oh yeah, real mature of you.”

“He’s also very wealthy. He has a son that’s around your age. Maybe you can finally open yourself up to someone.”

“Ha-ha, very funny.” Hana rolls her eyes when her mom stops the both of them.

“I’m serious. I want to apologize on behalf of your father. Maybe if he was around more, you wouldn’t have ended up this way.”

“What way?”

“Bitter.”

“I am not bitter!” She pauses. “Okay, yeah, maybe just a little.”

“I would really like it if you weren’t so rude around your new dad too.”

“I haven’t even met the guy!” Hana complains.

“I know, I know. I just haven’t found a good time for the two of you to meet.”

“You guys see each other all the time. When he drops you off, you can’t invite him in just to introduce us?”

“No.”

Hana shakes her head and roll her eyes. “Fine… I’ll be nice.” 

 

--

 

“So you’re saying you haven’t even met the guy?” Both Hana and Dongwoo are lounging on the front porch of his house, while eating ice cream.

“Yeah.”

“The wedding’s tomorrow though.”

“I know.”

“And you don’t even know what he looks like?”

“I’m sure he’s hot. My mom’s a shallow .”

Dongwoo laughs and nods his head. The two friends fall silent.

“Aren’t you worried though?” Dongwoo asks, breaking the silence.

“About what?”

“Well, your dad is officially out of your life, your mom is probably going spend a lot of time with her new hubby, and although you get a brother out of this marriage, he’s probably going to be gone for university, right?”

Hana feels her heart sink a little, although she tries to not make it show.

“I’ll be fine.”

“I won’t be around.”

“I know!” She snaps. Dongwoo pouts at her reply.

 

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m sorry I brought that up. You’ll be okay.” Dongwoo gets up to sit next to Hana. He rests a hand on her lap. “I’ll always be a phone call away. And you can always kakao me whenever, okay?”

“Yeah…” She says getting up. “You should go home. I have some last minute preps for tomorrow.”

Dongwoo gets up and brushes off the dirt on his pants. “Alright! I’ll see you then.”

Hana fakes a smile and waves him off. Once she turns around, she frowns.

 

--

 

“I do.”

“I do.”

 

--

 

(I heard Korean weddings are different… like there’s not really a reception, but let’s pretend they’re throwing a North American style wedding with a reception and dancing and stuff ^__^)

 

It’s only been thirty minutes since Hana has arrived at the reception of her mom’s wedding and she’s ready to leave. Just as she’s putting her cardigan on, her new brother walks up to her.

 

“May I have the pleasure of dancing with you tonight?”

“No, you may not.”

Sungkyu gasps. “Excuse me?”

“Oh… I’m sorry, I’m saying no.”

“You know, I’m not doing this because I want to. Mom asked me to play nice with you.”

“Oh, so you’ve met? I actually haven’t met your father.”

“It’s our.”

Hana a brow before grabbing her stuff.

“Sure. Tell your mom and dad that I’ll be leaving. See you at home… dude.”

“My name is Sungkyu.” He shouts after her.  

 

On her way out of the building, she bumps into someone. Their eyes meet for a brief second before he leaves. He gives her a nod, as if to apologize. She can’t help but flush a deep red. “, he was cute.” She whispers under her breathe.

 

“HEY!” Dongwoo hollers from his car. “Get in!”

Hana runs over and gets into the vehicle. “Are you sure you can drive?”

“Are you sure you should be leaving.”

“Shut up and let’s go.”

Dongwoo grins, starting the engine.

 

“So what do you think about your new dad?” Hana looks at Dongwoo.

“Uhm, let’s call him Mr. Kim. We actually haven’t met.”

Dongwoo’s jaw drops. “Still?”

She nods her head. “So much for playing nice! You know, just before I came out, my brother actually asked to dance with him. And! And, he didn’t say ‘your mom’, he said ‘mom’. Just ‘mom’… already. I mean isn’t that too soon?” 

“Maybe. People go at different paces.”

“Okay, how was he able to meet my mom and I still haven’t met my new dad. You know, it makes me feel like I’m not important. Or-or I won’t be around so they don’t have to meet me, like they probably won’t even see me. Do you get what I’m saying?”

“Yes. And-and, I just think your mom’s scared that your attitude will scare them off.”

“Excuse me?” She gasps.

“Like, you know what I mean…”

Hana drops her shoulders. “Yeah…” She heaves a sigh and looks out the window.

“Don’t be sad. I’m sure your new dad is excited to meet you.”

“Then why hasn’t he made the extra effort to come see me?”

Dongwoo glances over at his friend. “I don’t know… I’m sorry. I’ll take you out for some ice cream, okay?”

“No. Just take me home.”

 

--

 

“Honey…” Hana’s mom is sitting on the edge of her bed. She wakes up from the horrid smell of alcohol.  

“Why did you leave so soon?” She says with a slur.

“I’m tired mom.” Hana says, rubbing her eyes. The light from the hallway peeks through and Hana spots an unfamiliar silhouette.

“You didn’t get to meet your new daddy.”

“I know. I’ll meet him tomorrow.” She says, rotating so the light isn’t in her eyes.

“Okay. Goodnight.” Her mom swoops down and sloppily kisses her daughters cheek.

 

--

 

Hana wakes up at the crack of dawn because she slept so early. She sits up and wraps herself with her sheets. It’s peacefully quiet until she hears her stomach grumble.

“. I’m hungry.”

 

She climbs out of her sheets. She proceeds to the kitchen but is startled when she sees her new dad sitting at the dining table. He’s eating his breakfast while looking at his smartphone.

 

“Uh… hi.” Hana says.

“Oh! Oh!” Mr. Kim jumps out of his seat. “Y-you must be Hana.” He walks over to Hana and grabs her hand. “It’s really nice to finally meet you.” He awkwardly pulls her into a tight embrace and then pushes her away. “Sit down! Sit down! I have some food ready.” Mr. Kim unveils a plate full of eggs and bacon.

“This is American style breakfast.”

 

Mr. Kim chuckles. “Yeah. I’m a business man. I travel a lot. I figure American style breakfasts are easy to prepare. Do you not like it?”

 

“No. I’ll eat it.” Hana picks up the plate. “I’m gonna eat this in my room.”

“Yeah, sure. Go ahead.”

Hana nods her head before heading back upstairs.

 

--

 

“Hana, honey, come say goodbye to your brother.” Hana groans. She picks herself up off the couch and walks to the door. She smiles upon seeing her new dad and brother.

“Bye~” Hana coos.

“Give him a kiss.” Hana’s mom cries.

“No.”

“Hug?”

“No.”

“High-five?” Mr. Kim chimes in.

Hana makes a face before holding her hand up. Mr. Kim slaps it and then pushes Sungkyu to slap it as well.

“Okay, well, we’re off then.” Mr. Kim announces.

“Drive safe, honey.” 

 

--