The Start...

Pineapple Kiss

Chapter 1: The Start...


 

Lee Sumin always been a quiet and shy girl, she always has a hard time communicating with people. She never was a social butterfly or anything close to that. Only her close friends know that real her, and her biggest problem is she is afraid to reach out to other people.

 

Su Min sat at the back of the classroom, she was reading a romance comedy manhwa, or not. She was too scared to look around the classroom and her classmates would stare at her. Su Min's biggest fear and challenge is socializing with people. No matter, how many times she tells herself to talk to a classmate, she never does it. Once she tries to, her insecurities kick in. She hated that part of herself. The outgoing people in her class, she admired them, they weren't scared. She wanted to be like them; even her parents want her to have more self-confidence.

 

"Lee Su Min," Ms. Sung called out. Su Min could feel her heart pounding against her ribcage.

 

"Here," she said quietly, so quiet that Ms. Sung had to call out her name again.

 

"She's right here," someone spoke loudly and pointed at Su Min. She could feel her cheeks burning up and her hands began to sweat. The boy who pointed her out was Kim Jong In, also known as the bad boy. There were rumors that he was in a gang, and he deal with weapons and such. Everyone at school  is afraid of him.

 

"Thank you, Jong In," the teacher said and continued down the list of names. Even by the end of the list, Su Min's heart was still racing from being called out. Every time someone says her name or pointed her out, her heart would race at the speed of 1000km/h. 

 

Su Min pulled out her notebook, and scribbled notes down as the teacher began teaching the lesson. When the teacher ask the class a question, Su Min never dared to look up. She was scared to get called on. What she feared was when the teacher would randomly pick a person in the class to answer a question. At that moment she'll pray to god that she would not get chosen to speak. 

 

Since she was little, she was always scared of talking to people, and has a hard time making friends. Every year at parent teachers conferences her teachers would tell her parents that she is too quiet and doesn't ask questions when she doesn't understand. It frightens her that when she speaks or reach out to people, they would laugh at her. She hates the feeling of that and she couldn't get rid of it. The thing she wants the most was change, she wanted to be able to speak freely with people and doesn't have the insecurities.

 

The teacher picked a boy in her class to answer the question, and she was relief that the teacher didn't picked on her. She glance at the clock hung in front of the class, and there was still about 20 minutes before this class ends.

 

The bell rang loudly and Su Min packed her bag, and then ran out the classroom. She wanted to see her friends, and tell them her horrific experience in class. She really hates being put on the spot.

 

Sumin grabbed a seat outside on one of the benches. Once she saw her best friend come out of the school.

 

"Sooyoung," Sumin cried out, she was waving at her friend. Sumin only feel at ease when she is with someone that knows her and she can trust the person. It takes a long time for her to warm up to someone. This was also another part of herself that she didn't like.

 

"Hey, Sumin," her friend, Sooyoung said and sat beside her. Sooyoung was a beautiful girl, she was the ideal type for all the guy at their school. She was athletic, smart and kind. Sumin's friend had everything. Unlike Sumin her friend, was outgoing and everyone around her liked her. Despite this Sooyoung still hung out with Sumin. One thing most people don't know about Sumin was that she was fairly humorous and is not afraid to speak her mind if she was with someone close to her. Sooyoung enjoys Sumin's company, Sumin always entertain her. Sooyoung loved that about Sumin. 

 

"So today I was so scared that the teacher was going to call me out," Sumin put both her hands over her chest. Sooyoung started to laugh, it was funny how Sumin was such a blunt person and yet she is afraid of speaking out loud in class or a large group of people.

 

Sumin and Sooyoung met, when they were both in middle school. Sumin and Sooyoung had art class together, and they just small talk, until they discover a common interest. It was anime. Both of them loved anime at the time. They became friends quickly and later through the year, they became best friends.

 

“Someone confessed to me again,” Sooyoung said as she pulled out a love letter from her bag. Sumin always felt that no boys even liked her because of her quietness. It sometimes makes her sad that no one had confessed to her yet.

 

“No one likes me,” Sumin looked down to at the pavement.

 

“Someday you’ll find the perfect guy,” Sooyoung patted her friend.

 

“Maybe,” Sumin murmured.

 

“I know you will find him,” Sooyoung said and handed a package of seaweed to Sumin to cheer her up.

 

“Thanks,” Sumin grinned.

 

---

 

It was last period of the day, Sumin was having math class, and she hated it. Math was never her strongest subject. Numbers were so confusing for her. The thing she dreaded about math was the word problems the teachers make them solve. When something doesn’t make sense for Sumin she never asks the teacher for help or clarification. She was too scared to. It bothers her a lot that she can’t get help. It is a simple thing to ask, but Sumin is just too frightened to.

 

“Mr. Jung,” Jongin spoke loudly.

 

“Raise your hand please,” the math teacher told Jongin.

 

“Whatever,” Jongin said and placed his feet on the desk.

 

“Don’t disturb the class,” Mr. Jung said and continued explaining parabolas.

 

Sumin admired Jongin’s boldness. She wanted to be outspoken not just to her friends.  

 

“One last thing, party at my house on Saturday,” Jongin said and left the classroom. 


hi! first chapter is up! :)