two : neither are you

My Lost Light

It took about a week of Sungmin locking himself in his own room and barely coming out unless a certain someone was surely out of the dorm for Hyukjae to finally realize something was wrong with Sungmin. It then took him another two days to confront him, because Donghae insisted working on a new dance 'just for the fun of it' and took up all of his free time, which led to an exhausted Hyukjae who wasn't even going to bother talking to Sungmin while he was sweaty.

"You're finally outside," Hyukjae said, sitting down on the couch and staring over at Sungmin who was by the kitchen counter. "I thought I was going to have to drag you out of your room, kicking and screaming."

Sungmin's eyes widened and he slowly put down his bowl of ramen. "I doubt you could have," he muttered, frowning. Hyukjae smirked, and Sungmin pouted.

"So what's up with you and the kid anyway? You two act as if you had an affair before," Hyukjae snorted, not noticing the way Sungmin choked on his water and started coughing.

"We used to live together," Sungmin quickly defended.

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, and Sungmin groaned.

"Not like that! Shindong, Kyuhyun, and I - we lived together for a while before I moved out," Sungmin said, cleaning up around him where he spilled his water. Hyukjae smirked at how flustered Sungmin was.

"Did something happen?" Hyukjae asked suggestively, causing Sungmin to throw his spoon at him. "Ow! Hey, that hurt! Spoons are made of metal, you know?"

Sungmin rolled his eyes. "Really? I had no idea," he replied sarcastically, putting his bowl away.

Hyukjae pouted. "I just wanted to know about your relationship with Kyuhyun..."

"There is none, Hyuk. End of story, so leave it alone," he sighed, walking over to escape to his room again when Kyuhyun opened the front door, stepping in. Sungmin froze, glanced at Hyukjae, then tried locking himself in his room when Hyukjae's foot got in the way.

"If there's nothing going on, you wouldn't mind watching TV with Kyu and I, right?" he asked in a hushed tone. Sungmin replied by adding more pressure to the door, but Hyukjae didn't budge. "Come out, or I'll eat all of your food, too."

"You already do," Sungmin snapped.

"I used to, but now Hae buys me food. Now come out, before I steal your stuffed bunny one day when you're out." The door slammed open, revealing a glaring Sungmin.

"You tell anyone about that, and I'll cut your balls off in your sleep," Sungmin snarled, pushing past him.

"As if," Hyukjae snorted, following. "Hae's a light sleeper." He followed Sungmin to the couch, where he was sitting with his arms and legs crossed. Kyuhyun was staring at him curiously, grabbing a drink from the fridge.

"Hey, Kyu, want to watch some TV with us?" Hyukjae offered, picking up the remote control, only to have Sungmin snatch it away from him sharply.

"Sure," he replied, pulling up a seat. "What are we watching?"

"I don't know. Whatever Sungmin wants," Hyukjae said. Sungmin was still flipping through the channels when Donghae burst into the room.

"Hyukkie! Let's go practice! I just heard an amazing song, and it made me want to dance! Let's go the dance studio!" Donghae didn't even let Hyukjae reply before he was being pulled out of the apartment, the door closed promptly behind them.

Sungmin gulped. He tried his best to ignore Kyuhyun's stare, but it was getting hard. He almost jumped when Kyuhyun spoke.

"Are you going to pick something, or are we going to keep watching brief glimpses of every TV show on right now?" he asked wrlyly, and Sungmin sighed. Still as snarky as before it seemed.

He tossed him the remote, not meeting his eyes. "You can pick," he muttered. "I'm going to go practice my guitar -"

"In your room?" Kyuhyun finished for him, raising an eyebrow. Sungmin frowned, not answering. "Seriously, Sungmin, you could be a little more subtle in your attempt to ignore me."

"I'm not ignoring you," Sungmin snapped, immediately meeting Kyuhyun's eyes and regretting it the moment he did. His eyes seemed much darker now, and they were just as unreadable as they were before Sungmin left.

"Okay, fine," Kyuhyun said, rolling his eyes. "We'll call it 'you-locking-yourself-up-in-your-room-whenever-I'm-around' then."

Sungmin scowled. "I just don't want to see you. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Oh, no, that's believable," Kyuhyun replied. "I just can't tell why you're making this so hard."

"And what am I making hard, Kyuhyun?" he asked, exasperated. "We were never friends, so why are you acting like this is such a big deal!"

"Because -" Kyuhyun stopped, and glared at Sungmin. Sungmin waited for the reply, but it never came.

"Exactly," he hissed. He the balls of his feet, but before he could get far, he was yanked back. He almost knocked Kyuhyun back out of anger, but stopped himself when their lips crashed.

More like his heart stopped, actually.

It was an odd feeling, a pair of lips against his own. It had been so long, after all. And ever stranger was the fact that those lips belonged to Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun... Sungmin didn't know what to think about Kyuhyun.

And he didn't. As the two stood there, both sides unmoving, Sungmin could feel something there on Kyuhyun's side. He couldn't put a name on it, but he almost recognized it. Almost.

Then the door slammed open, revealing a distraught Hyukjae followed by an apologizing Donghae, and the two break apart immediately.

"I can't believe you locked the car keys in the car," Hyukjae moaned, practically pulling his hair out as he went to grab the phone to call someone.

Donghae pouted. "It was an honest mistake. I'm sorry, Hyukkie!"

By the time Kyuhyun turned back to where Sungmin was, he was gone, the door of his room closed and locked. Just like his heart.

-

The next day, Sungmin tagged along with Hyukjae and Donghae. Hyukjae stared at him oddly when he asked to accompany them, but decided not to push the subject then. Sungmin was just glad he wouldn't be stuck in the apartment with Kyuhyun again.

"I got an A on my last exam," Taemin was gushing to Jaejoong when the three of them entered the studio. "Key was so proud, he even went out and bought me ice cream."

"Which was a bad idea, because he got a stomach ache afterwards," Minho sighed from beside Taemin. His arm was around the younger's waist as he talked.

"It was totally worth it," Taemin said offhandedly. Minho rolled his eyes.

Yunho broke free from the group, moving to greet the three. "Took you long enough to get here," he told them. "We've been listening to Taemin's school tales for a good fifteen minutes now. The kid's cute and all, but he sure can talk."

Jaejoong was suddenly beside Yunho now, nodding. "Minho is so quiet, though. They work so well together."

Yunho slung an arm over Jaejoong's shoulder and asked, "Like us?"

Jaejoong just rolled his eyes though. "You're so cheesy," he replied, shaking him off. Yunho just laughed and pecked him on the cheek.

"Stop it!" Donghae cried, covering his eyes. "You're making me jealous!"

"Of what?" Yunho laughed. "Our amazing relationship? That's not our fault - it's Eunhyuk's."

Hyukjae glared at Yunho, but Sungmin noticed he didn't deny it like he used to. "Hey, Sungmin, do you mind calling Kyuhyun?" he asked, looking over at Sungmin, who paled visibly.

"W-Why?" he stammered. What did he know!?

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow suspiciously, but continued, "Because he's supposed to come to class today, and Hae and I have to go set up, so I'm asking you to call him. Why? Is that a problem?"

Sungmin swallowed, but shook his head. With a sigh, he took out his phone and dialed the number, while hoping that Kyuhyun's number changed over the year. His heart fell when a familiar, velvet voice answered, "Hello?"

"Hyukjae needs you to come to class," he muttered into the phone, lowering his voice in hopes of throwing Kyuhyun off.

"Tell him I'm five minutes away, Sungmin," he replied before hanging up.

Sungmin scowled before pushing his phone into his pocket. He was about to just get up and leave when he heard someone sit beside him.

"Hi," a soft voice said.

He turned and was faced with a smiling Taemin. "Uh, hi," he responded slowly, not understanding why he was talking to him.

"You're Sungmin, right? EunHae's roommate?"

Sungmin blinked. "EunHae...?"

"Eunhyuk, Donghae, you know... EunHae," he explains, smiling. "We like to shorten couples' names because it's easier. For example, YunJae, 2Min..."

Sungmin stared blankly at the younger boy. "O-kay..." he said slowly.

"Do you have a boyfriend, Sungmin?" Taemin asked curiously.

Sungmin's eyes widened. "No!" he yelled, a little too loudly, but luckily everyone else was too busy with whatever they were doing to notice. "I-I'm not..."

"Gay?" Taemin filled in, smiling. Sungmin flushed, and Taemin just laughed. "That's okay. I just am kind of used to everyone having boyfriends instead of girlfriends," he said. "So do you have a girlfriend then?"

Sungmin shook his head stiffly, the thought of his last girlfriend still haunting him.

"Aw, you must be lonely," Taemin comforted. Just then, Hyukjae called for them to start class, and Taemin waved goodbye as he took a stand beside Minho, who was staring at him as if his whole world was beside him.

Sungmin couldn't help but smile. "Cute," he murmured, almost bitterly.

"Yeah, I am," an annoyingly familiar voice responded beside him. Sungmin almost jumped out of his seat as Kyuhyun laid his bag beside Sungmin, sitting on it afterwards. Leaning backwards, not looking at Sungmin but at the dancers, he continued, "But not as cute as you."

Sungmin scowled. "When did you become a flirt," he muttered, trying to ignore the redness in his cheeks.

"Only around you," Kyuhyun replied, still not glancing at Sungmin.

Sungmin, while trying to ignore Kyuhyun, thought about him instead. The fact that that did not make sense didn't really occur to him at the moment. He could've sworn Kyuhyun hated dancing, so he had no idea why he was attending Hyukjae's class.

"Shindong," Kyuhyun said suddenly.

Sungmin blinked. "Huh?"

Kyuhyun sighed and looked over at Sungmin, who immediately averted his eyes. "After you left, Shindong was the only one left. Since he danced so often, I eventually started attending his classes because I was bored. That's why I'm here."

"Oh," was all he said. What else changed when he was gone...?

"Although I'd much rather be playing games."

Obviously that hadn't. "Then why aren't you?"

He shrugged. "Dancing keeps me in shape, I guess. And you're here, so that's a plus."

Sungmin frowned a bit, but luckily Hyukjae saved him from having to answer that (and honestly, Sungmin had no idea what he would've replied) when he said class was beginning and started the loud music. Sungmin pondered staying, but decided it'd be better to go home. What was there to stay for anyway?

The feeling of Kyuhyun's stare never left, though, even after he was out of sight.

And Sungmin decided the only way to get rid of it was to go drinking.


a.n: I realized I switched tenses somewhere in the first chapter, and that's because I came back to the writing and completely forgot I was in present tense as I moved to past tense. So... yeah, that . -.-" I'll probably go back and change everything... some time. I don't know when though.

This will actually be four chapters, by the way.

And yes, the kiss was sudden, but it was supposed to be because of the ual tension between the two that Kyuhyun decides to break... and yeah.