one : life isn't fair

My Lost Light

“You left.”

Those were the two words that illuminated Sungmin’s cell phone screen as he sat in the bus, his stuffed backpack beside him. He sighed and closed it, staring out the window instead. He waited a good five minutes before responding – although the text was much older, because it was sent hours ago when Kyuhyun must have gotten home and seen the note he left Shindong and him.

“Yeah. Sorry.”

But he wasn’t. It was his decision to leave, and he was glad he was taking it. He didn’t want to stay around in the house where his girlfriend and him had watched movies in, the house where they cooked dinner together, the house where they drank wine together in. He didn’t want to remember any of it.

“No, you’re not.”

The text came sooner than Sungmin anticipated, and he read it over and over. Kyuhyun was right; he wasn’t sorry.

“It doesn’t change anything.”

Sungmin waited for Kyuhyun to reply, but nothing came. With a sigh, he turned off his cell phone and leaned his head against the cool glass. It was a ten hour drive to where his friend was – Hyukjae, who he had met in high school and went to classes with until he moved away – and only four hours had passed. It was around one in the morning now, and Sungmin was more tired than he had expected.

Heavy eyelids fell soon enough.

-

“Welcome to Seoul,” Hyukjae welcomed his old friend with a wide smile that Sungmin hadn’t seen in a long time.

Sungmin smiled in return. “Thanks, Hyukjae. For everything. I know it must have been tough getting your roommates to let me stay with them, since your apartment isn’t that big as is.”

Hyukjae just shrugged, taking Sungmin’s other bag for him and slinging it over his shoulder. His car was parked at the curb, and there was someone in it.

“It’s fine, Sungmin. We have three rooms, but Jungsu – we call him Leeteuk; he’s the oldest of us all – decided to share rooms with Kangin.”

“Only three rooms? But I thought there were four of you guys…”

Hyukjae nodded. “I stay with Donghae, because we’re the youngest, and we’re best friends.” He put his stuff into the trunk, and got into the driver’s seat. Sungmin, taking note of the person already in the passenger seat, sat behind Hyukjae in the back.

The other boy – who was apparently asleep until Sungmin slammed the door close – jumped, startled. He blinked a couple of times, rubbing his eyes like a child, before glancing at Sungmin then at Hyukjae over and over.

“You woke me up,” he said to Hyukjae, and Sungmin almost opened his mouth to take the blame, but Hyukjae just shrugged.

“You should’ve stayed home, anyway,” he replied, starting the car. “I don’t know why you insisted on driving to pick him up when you stayed up all last night learning the dance moves, Hae. I’m capable of picking my friend up without you chaperoning.”

The boy named Donghae pouted a bit, leaning towards the window, looking ready to fall asleep again. “And leave you all alone on the drive here? Never.” He yawned, and Hyukjae glanced at him as he pulled into the busy street. Sungmin might have been hallucinating after being in the bus for so long, but he swore he saw something in that look that wasn’t always there.

“My name is Donghae,” the boy said, finally looking back at Sungmin with a bright smile. Although he seemed sleepy, there was still an odd sense of energy and enthusiasm in him.

“I’m Sungmin,” he replied with a returning smile. “You’re Hyukjae’s roommate, right?”

“One of them,” Donghae confirmed with a nod. “So you used to be one of Hyukkie’s best friends?”

Sungmin nodded. “Until he moved away to go to dance school,” he replied.

“I heard you came over because you wanted to start dancing, too,” Donghae said with vigor, smiling brightly at Sungmin who only hesitated a bit as he replied.

“Yeah…” Hyukjae knew the real reason why he was there, but he must have not told Donghae. Sungmin was sort of grateful for this though; he didn’t want any more sympathy or sad looks. He just wanted to forget.

Hyukjae glanced at him through the rearview mirror, and Sungmin just looked out the window. Donghae sensed the tension, and while he wanted to ask, he decided to not. He just leaned over and grabbed Hyukjae’s free hand and started playing with it. Sungmin noticed and wondered what was going on between the two.

The car ride back was quiet, the sound of the radio the only thing in the car. Hyukjae helped Sungmin bring his bags up while Donghae waited patiently, refusing to leave Hyukjae’s side.

“This is your room,” Hyukjae said as Donghae opened the door for him. It was a bland room with simple white walls and white sheets on the bed pushed against the wall. There was a drawer and a desk, but other than that, there wasn’t much.

But it was perfect for Sungmin; it was a fresh start.

“Thanks,” Sungmin said softly, smiling as he laid his stuff down on the bed and sat down, taking in a deep breath as he did. Hyukjae and Donghae took their leave, and Sungmin just laid there.

And forgot.

-

It’s two years later now, and Sungmin juggles giving guitar lessons, martial art lessons, and the occasional vocal or dance lessons – but only if he really has to – to younger kids at the nearby school. He spends his time with Hyukjae and Donghae often – they haven’t clarified their relationship any further, although Sungmin is suspicious – and Jungsu and Kangin have already moved out to the country side to help their parents and spend some more alone time together.

Despite this, Hyukjae and Donghae still room together, so there has been an empty room for the last half year that their clothes have been piling up in. Finally, however, this is going to change.

“I found a rentee!”

“Rentee?” Sungmin asks, questioning the made up word that fell from his friend’s lips.

“Someone to rent the empty room,” Hyukjae says, and Sungmin just crosses his arms. “He’ll be coming over later to check out the place, but Donghae and I have a dance practice that day, so we were wondering if you could let him in and show him around.”

“But what if he’s some murderer?” Sungmin demands, although he’s sure he could easily knock out anyone who tried to attack him. He just doesn’t want to stick around the apartment tonight, because he’s supposed to meet someone tonight. “Why can’t you just reschedule?”

Hyukjae rolls his eyes. “I’ve met him before, Min, and he’s fine. In fact, he’s a bit nerdy – although he has quite the attitude. I’m sure you’ll get along fine, though. He’s also younger than you.”

“Oh great,” Sungmin replies sarcastically.

“He’s sarcastic as well! I told you it’d work out,” Hyukjae replies, dashing off to grab his bag quickly. “He’ll be here around six, so you can go on your little date afterwards.” Sungmin protests and wants to ask how Hyukjae even knew about that, but he’s gone too soon and Sungmin falls onto the couch with a groan.

He ends up watching TV until the clock hits 5:50 and there’s a knock at the door. He turns off the TV and walks over to the door lazily, opening it up and welcoming him.

“Hi,” he says, barely glancing at the young man before closing the door behind him. “Sorry Hyukjae isn’t here to give the tour, but he had classes. I’m Sungmin, though, his roommate, and I can show you around.”

“I’m Kyuhyun,” a slow and leisurely voice replies, and Sungmin freezes where he is. “And it looks like I found you, finally.”

Sungmin turns around slowly, his eyes meeting an older Kyuhyun’s face who is staring at him as if he finally found the light after being kept in the dark for so long. “You-You were looking for me,” he stammers, falling a step back in surprise. He never expected to see Kyuhyun again.

“No,” Kyuhyun admits. “I didn’t look for you, and I didn’t even expect on finding you. But here you are…”

Sungmin shuffled in place. “Here I am…”

“… and we’re going to be sharing the same place, again.”

Sungmin paled. “R-Right…” He was going through a list of excuses to give Kyuhyun as to why he wouldn’t be allowed to stay here. He would have to apologize to Hyukjae later, and probably buy the kid some food, but it would be worth it. Anything was better than staying with Kyuhyun again, because Kyuhyun brought back the memories Sungmin tried getting rid of. “Listen, I think Hyukjae was leading you on, because we have other people looking at our apartment, and they’re planning to pay a lot more,” he tried saying.

“How much?” Kyuhyun asked. Sungmin frowned.

“A lot more than you,” he reassured him, not naming a price because he personally had no idea as to how much Kyuhyun was planning to pay for rent.

“Really? Because Hyukjae told me you guys haven’t had an offer in months, and that I’m the first. And he was really pleased with how much I was planning to pay for rent.” Kyuhyun’s lips twisted into a unamused look and he crossed his arms. Sungmin frowned, slumping against the wall. “I don’t know why you’re trying to get rid of me, again.”

“I never tried to get rid of you!” Sungmin snapped. “I just wanted to get rid of the memories…” Kyuhyun’s gaze softened a bit, and he simply nodded.

“I understand,” he finally said. “I’m still moving in, but I understand.” He made his way to the door, and sent one last look at Sungmin. “I’ll be back next Monday with my stuff.” Then he left.

Five minutes later, Sungmin rushed out the door with his coat, his date forgotten and only one destination in mind: Hyukjae’s dance studio.

-

“Next time we need a new roommate, I’m meeting him, too.”

Hyukjae blinked, surprised at Sungmin’s appearance. Donghae noticed as well, but he didn’t say anything as he continued to talk with his friends by the water cooler.

“Well, hopefully we won’t need to look for a new roommate anytime soon,” Hyukjae told him, taking a big gulp of his water. “Besides, what’s wrong with Kyuhyun? Maybe he has some attitude, but out of all the people I’ve met, he’s the most normal.” Hyukjae beckoned Donghae over, who quickly walked over with his friend.

“Hi, Sungmin,” Donghae greeted him. Sungmin nodded at him in a form of greeting, and Donghae turned to Hyukjae and said, “Minho just texted me that Taemin’s going to be late today because he had tutoring.”

Hyukjae sighed. “He’s talented, but so young. Honestly, I can’t afford to hold up the class all the time for him.”

“But Minho appreciates it,” Donghae pointed out. “And I love Minho, so you’re going to do it.”

“And why’s that?” Hyukjae asked, crossing his arms.

“Because you love me!” he said, grinning. Hyukjae rolled his eyes, and Donghae’s friend laughed.

“You two are disgusting,” the friend snorted, smirking. His muscles bulged as he hit his friend on the back.

“As if you and Jaejoong are any better,” Donghae replied, sticking out his tongue at the man. “At least we can keep our hands off of each other when we see each other.”

“It’s not our fault we’re both ridiculously attractive,” Yunho said. Hyukjae laughed and Donghae made a gagging face. Sungmin watched, wondering if he should be annoyed for being ignored, or amused because he’d never met these people, but obviously they were interesting characters.

“Anyway, so what did Kyuhyun say, anyway?” Hyukjae asked, finally turning to Sungmin.

“Was he good-looking?” Donghae interrupted, causing Hyukjae to frown.

Sungmin’s eyes widened. “I-I don’t know! Why would you even ask that?!”

A grin formed on Donghae’s face. “He is!”

“Why do you care?” Hyukjae asked suspiciously, eyeing Donghae, who just smiled at him innocently.

“Because I don’t want an ugly roommate,” he said, although Sungmin could tell he was just messing around. “Why do you care that I care? Afraid he’ll steal me away from you?”

Hyukjae glared at Donghae, then walked off towards a group of people. Donghae pouted, immediately running after Hyukjae to apologize. Sungmin could hear Donghae exclaim, “You know I only love you!” which caused Hyukjae to flush and his friends to laugh. He watched, amused.

“They’re just stupid,” Yunho finally said, and Sungmin turned to glance at him. His arms were crossed and he was also watching the couple interact. “They’ve been living together for almost four years now, and they’ve liked each other for almost three, so I don’t understand why they aren’t together.”

Sungmin blinked. “They aren’t?” He must have looked foolish, asking a question when he’s been both of their roommates for two years now, but he never did really ask either of them about their relationship.

But Yunho didn’t seem to care – or perhaps he didn’t know he was their roommate – as he nodded. “Hyukjae is too… Hyukjae. And Donghae is waiting for him to make a move, because he doesn’t want to push Hyukjae into something he doesn’t want, apparently. Although it’s fairly obvious they both want each other.”

Sungmin nodded in agreement. “They flirt a lot at our dorm, and they even sleep together. I’ve gone to wake them up, and I’d see them wrapped up in each others’ arms. I’ve even had thoughts that they might be already married.” Yunho laughed at that.

“They might as well, since it’s obvious they won’t find anyone else. They only have eyes for each other.” He motioned his head towards the two. Donghae’s arms were wrapped against Hyukjae’s waist, his head on his shoulder and his eyes closed peacefully. Hyukjae’s arm was around Donghae’s shoulder, and he stared down at him, a look in his eyes that Sungmin wished he could have from his own special someone eventually.

“Yeah…” Sungmin murmured.

“I’m here! I’m sorry!” a new voice exclaimed. It was fairly high for a boy’s voice, and when Sungmin saw the owner of that voice’s face, he almost thought he was a girl, actually. Behind him followed a calmer young man, a bag slung over his shoulder as he made his way towards Donghae.

“Kibum –“

“Key,” Taemin corrected.

“… Key made Taemin stay even longer. I swear, he acts more like a mother than a tutor,” Minho snorted, running a hand through his hair.

“I love Key,” Taemin said, smiling. Minho grinned in response and nodded in a way that said, ‘I know.’ “He helps me with a lot of things.”

“He’s your tutor,” someone deadpanned.

“But he’s also my friend,” Taemin responded. Minho grabbed the younger boy over to his corner before more could be said, and helped him pull back his hair. Sungmin watched curiously.

“They’re so young,” he mused.

“But so in love,” Donghae said, popping up once more as Hyukjae walked back to them. “Aren’t they adorable? Taemin has this adorable young face, and Minho is so handsome. Imagine their babies!”

“They can’t have babies, Hae. They’re both men,” Hyukjae replied, rolling his eyes.

“Imagine the babies they’d adopt, then,” Donghae said, glaring at Hyukjae. “Always spoiling the fun,” he muttered under his breath.

“Let’s start class,” Hyukjae said, ignoring Donghae. “You going to stay, Min?”

Sungmin shook his head. “I have work next morning anyway, so I should rest. I’ll see you guys tonight.” He waved them goodbye as they started up the class together, Donghae teasing him, causing laughter to erupt as Sungmin closed the door.

Sungmin couldn’t but smile a bit. It had been a while since he had a true companion like Hyukjae had Donghae. Even if Hyukjae and Sungmin were still close, they weren’t as close as before, and Donghae was always there.

He ignored the feeling of loneliness as he stepped onto the bus.

-

Sungmin woke up, feeling groggy as he heard rustling outside. Usually, Hyukjae and Donghae slept in, tired from dance practice, and Sungmin was always the first up. But obviously this wasn’t the case. Tired, he sat up lazily, stretching before standing up and stepping outside of his room.

He almost fell back at the sight of Shindong staring at him, frowning as Kyuhyun was beside him, slowly unpacking into the empty room.

“He really did find you,” Shindong murmured. “And with two dance teachers who I happen to know.” He snorted at the irony. “You scared the out of us, Sungmin,” he sighed, running a hand through his hair. “Running away for so long…”

Sungmin let out a breath. “I’m sorry, Shindong. I just wanted to get away from everything.”

Shindong nodded, patting a hand on Sungmin’s back. “I understand, Sungmin. I just wish you could have let us know.” He turned to Kyuhyun, who was still silently packing. “We were worried. But it’s good to know you’re safe and well…” he paused to look at Sungmin. “Youare well, right?”

Sungmin blinked, surprised by the question. Even Kyuhyun turned to look at Sungmin, and their eyes locked for a moment before Sungmin turned his head away to stare at the wall. “I-I am… I’m pretty sure I am.” Kyuhyun frowned, and Shindong stared suspiciously at him.

“Okay,” he finally said. “I’m trusting Kyuhyun will take care of you. I have to go, but do take care of yourself, Sungmin.” He left shortly and Sungmin just stared at the door he walked out of.

Didn’t Shindong used to hate Kyuhyun? Didn’t they get into arguments over silly things that Sungmin cared nothing for? And yet, here they were, talking and agreeing. Shindong actually trusted him, now. It made Sungmin wonder what he had missed out when he walked out.

“I’m going to take a shower,” he mumbled under his breath. There was no response.

He stayed under the warm water for longer than necessary. It felt good, though, unlike everything else around him. He wanted to stay there forever, but as the water started to become cooler, he knew his escape was being cut off. As he dried himself off, he could only hope Hyukjae and Donghae took a shower at the dance studio prior to coming home.

As he walked out, drying his hair with a towel, he ran into Kyuhyun.

And it was all déjà-vu.

They laid there, staring at each other. But Sungmin’s mind was elsewhere – everywhere. Flashbacks of his girlfriend, Shindong, Kyuhyun flashing through his mind. It hurt so much.

“Why did you have to come back and ruin everything?” he whispered aloud without thinking. Pushing Kyuhyun back quickly, he fled to his room, ignoring the racing in his heart.

It just wasn’t fair.


a.n: This was supposed to be an oneshot, but once it got around three thousand words and eight pages, I decided I should break it up. I think this might be a twoshot, but at the most, it should be a threeshot (I'm thinking this is the most likely outcome). For those confused as to the setting, look back at the foreword, please.

I'm sorry, FiveMoreMinutes, for the angst D: I know you don't really like it, but I couldn't help myself! BUT DON'T WORRY! DON'T! Things will be looking up later.

I hope you enjoyed this, and thank you for reading!