one

the second chance i won't let slip away

It was 7 in the morning when I arrived at Xiumin’s fansign event. It was cold as since the winter season hasn’t yet passed. But what can I say, I can’t totally miss this event. It's Xiumin’s first time ever to appear in public and his first time ever to hold fansign event. That’s why I’m not the only one who standing in front of a building which the event will be held at despite the cold winter wind blowing so strong. There are so many fans already came in this early morning with their thick coats hug their body, waiting for the event to be opened, while the actual event will be start at 10 am. They look so impatient to meet Xiumin, just like me. Luckily the staff being considerate toward us so they let us come in to the exhibition while waiting for Xiumin to come.

Well, before you playing a guessing game of who the hell is Xiumin, why he is so famous or is he a member of a boyband? Let me introduce Xiumin to you. Xiumin is one of the best seller writer right now in Korea. Everytime Xiumin released his work, it will be sold out in any minutes. Girls, boys, young, old enjoy his novels. is it hard to believe? Yeah, me too at first. And that’s how I got to read his book, curiosity. Without I realized, I already read all his books and fell deeply in love with the way Xiumin told the stories.

I don’t know what it is that really appealing from Xiumin’s books. Maybe it was because his stories always so simple. So honest and so close to our reality. Maybe it was the way he made each of the characters in his story. Maybe it was like how I found L -one of Xiumin’s character- has so many similarities with me. Maybe it was what all his fans felt when they read Xiumin’s writing. It seems like he told us a story about us. Like we are right there, right in those words that Xiumin typed on those white blank paper. Ahh, I might be look like a freak right now. Well that’s what Sehun told me everytime I told him about Xiumin.

The arrangement of the exhibition is so nice. Each of Xiumin’s works put in this special display with a portrait of its cover hanging above it. And on the bottom side of the portrait there are some hand writing written by Xiumin. I smile. The words are about behind story of the novel and words of gratitude from Xiumin toward the fans. I can’t imagine Xiumin wrote those words one by one from one portrait to another. I can’t hide the fact that I feel touched. Xiumin is just as sincere and honest as the way he/she talked through his/her books.

As I walk deeper, I find this one wall that full of random pictures which get surrounded by a lot of people.  It makes me really curious. When I get closer to it, I find out that those weren’t just random pictures. Those pictures were taken by Xiumin. Those were pictures of places or things which were Xiumin used in his/her books or where he/she got ideas from. I almost recognize all of it and know which each of those pictures belong to which novel. Yeah, i'm that much hardcore fan of xiumin. When I look around me, all the fans are smiling while looking at the photos. It feels like we share memories together even though we experience it only from Xiumin’s words.

I can stop smiling. I really enjoy the exhibition. And because of that I’m starting to feel really nervous but at the same time I feel this urge to meet Xiumin. I’m really curious of what kind of person Xiumin is. Is Xiumin a girl or man? Young or old? These kind of questions pop out in my head. I look at my watch it’s already 9 am. I decide to search a display of this one book that I really like so much while waiting the one hour to get passed.

I don’t need to walk too far to find the display. I already recognize its cover from far away. The book uses a portrait of back view of two people holding each other hand as a cover. The cover is in this simple black and white concept with italic words written below it. “ A chance to meet you again” was the title of the book. Like any other books, there is a note written by Xiumin on the portrait. But this one note is really simple, only consist of one sentence. “This one is my own story and I still hope to meet him again”. It surprises me. But before I can process those words, I hear someone call my name.

The voice. It is a voice that I didn’t hear for a long time, but never left from my memory no matter how long it was the last time I heard it.

“Luhan?”

I hear steps coming closer toward me. I turn around to find the source of the voice, and there he is. Minseok. He almost didn’t change much from the picture of Minseok I keep in my head, except his hair that turned into this light brown color which I can’t deny really fits him. He is walking while showing his gummy smile, a smile that I was get used to but now it feels too overwhelming for me.

“It is really you Luhan! I can’t believe it!”

He hugs me suddenly with his tiny arms. A sudden jolt is coming from my heart. Without thinking again I envelope my arms around him. Feeling once again the warmness from the tiny man that i've been longing to.

-----------------------------