Sacrifice

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 years later…

Tokyo, Japan…

 

“Mr Takayuki from EA Corporation has agreed with the clauses in the preliminary agreement. I will instruct the Legal department to proceed with the final draft tomorrow.”

Ji Chang Wook looked at the agreement and nodded his head before he gazed up at his assistant. “Just make sure there is no mistake in the final draft. Mr Takayuki is very particular in every single detail.” He said as his fingers were playing with the Mont Blanc black fountain pen.

Park Min Young smiled and nodded. “I know. I will make sure everything is okay.” She said as she narrowed her eyes at her boss and let out another soft smile. “You always look extra charming when you are working.”

Chang Wook looked at her again and chuckled. “Is this the reason why you are willing to work until so late with me almost every night?”

Min Young laughed softly as she shook her head. “Wrong question. You should ask is that the reason why I’m willing to work for you for so many years and…” She paused and smiled sweetly. “… willing to even become your girlfriend.”

Looking into her eyes, Chang Wook smiled slightly. When he first came to Japan and be the in-charge of this sub company for his father, Min Young has already working here. She is a Korean mixed Japanese and with her help, his work have been very smooth. She is a very capable and smart woman. Working in Japan has been so much easier with her helping him. Maybe because of this reason, they were always together and very naturally, Min Young started to have feeling for him. He is not stupid but at that time, he was not ready to start a relationship yet. But as time passed, after working here for almost 4 years, his heart slowly moved by her. She was the one who confessed and took the first move.

After they dated for about a year now, he still wasn’t sure whether he love her or not but he felt comfortable being with her. She is matured, smart and beautiful. They share the same interest and always have the same topic to talk about. And most importantly, this would be the first step he took to move on from the past, from the woman he loves.

Min Young knows that he doesn’t want to continue with the topic when he keep quiet and didn’t reply her. She has been staying by his side for 5 years now. She understands this man very well. She moved her gaze to his hand that was still playing with his pen. “Can I ask you a question?”

Chang Wook raised his brows and nodded.

“Why do you like this pen so much? From the first day you came here, you have been using this pen until now. You don’t like the pen I bought for your birthday last year?” Min Young asked. The one she bought for him was much more expensive and prettier than the one he was using. She was quite disappointed when she didn’t see him using it. She guessed the one he was using now must be given from someone very important to him.

Chang Wook was slightly taken aback by her question. He glanced at the pen he was holding and inhaled deeply. This was the pen that Shin Hye gave him on his birthday 5 years ago. It has never leave him all these years.

He smiled slightly as held the pen up. “I got used to it already. It was like a lucky charm to me.” He said as he looked down at the document again. He didn’t lie. Having this pen near to him make him feel less lonely.

Min Young nodded and looking at his expression, she know he don’t want her to continue with this conversation either. “Your father’s secretary sent an email to remind you about the annual meeting that will be held in Seoul next week. I have already book the flight ticket for you.”

“Thank you.” Chang Wook said as he gazed up at her again. This is what he likes about her. He doesn’t need to say much for her to get the cue. She understands him and won’t insist to ask questions that she knows he doesn’t want to answer. He smiled at her when their eyes locked at each other. “Do you want to go back to Seoul with me?”

Min Young widened her eyes in surprise. This is the first time he asked her to go back with him after being with him for a year. “I thought your parents want you to stay in Seoul for few days this time because your brother came back from England too. Besides the annual meeting, this trip is meant for family reunion. Will it be not convenient if you bring me along?” She asked cautiously.

Chang Wook smiled and extended his arm to grasp her hand. “We have been together for a year now. I think it’s about time to introduce you to my family.”

A wide and happy smile was spread across Min Young’s face. She always thought that Chang Wook didn’t take their relationship seriously and that was why he didn’t tell his parents about her. But now, he initiates to bring her back to meet them.

“It’s my honour to meet them.” She said happily. “I’ll book another flight ticket tonight.”

“Okay.” Chang Wook glanced at his watch before he spoke again. “It’s very late now. I think we should continue tomorrow. Let’s go for dinner.”

Min Young nodded. “Let me take my bag in my room. Wait for me at the elevator.” She said as she stood up and stepped out of the room.

After she was gone, Chang Wook turned the laptop off and put the files into his briefcase. But then, the pen that Shin Hye gave him caught his attention and brought his mind back to 5 years ago.

 

~~~~~ 

 

5 years ago…

 

“I’m going to Japan to take charge of the sub-company there.” Chang Wook said as he tried to avoid the gazes that were all darted at him now.

“For how long?” Yoo Chun was the first one who broke the silence.

Chang Wook sighed deeply before looking at his best friend. “We need someone to establish and firm up everything there.” He paused and his lips were pressed in a thin line. “It will take about five to seven years.”

“We need to establish the foundation and someone to lead the new team in Japan. Chang Wook is the best choice I have.” Ji Joon Young added.

“But why is it so sudden?” Jin Wook asked, looking at his brother. “I didn’t hear you mention about it before. Why didn’t you tell me?” He was very shock. Since they were born, they never separate from each other before. And his brother usually will discuss something so important with him beforehand but this time he didn’t.

“This is not a sudden decision.” Chang Wook lied. “I have considered about it for some time now and I think this is a good opportunity for me to expand my career in the business. I want to learn to be independent and to be able to stand on my own.” He said to his brother.

“Very well said.” Park Seung Ryong said, smiling at Chang Wook. “In order to be a successful business man, you have to be brave and willing to take the risk. You have to start from somewhere and train yourself from there. You are a smart boy. I’m sure you can do better than you expected.” He then turned to his son, Yoo Chun. “You really have to learn from Chang Wook.”

Yoo Chun smiled slightly before he exchanged meaningful glances with Shin Hye.

Jin Wook let out a deep sigh before he looked back at Chang Wook. “If this is what you want, of course I’ll support you. Japan is very near and you have to promise us to come back at least once a month. I can’t take care of appa and eomma alone.”

Kim Sung Ryung laughed and shook her head. “Look at this boy. He already missed his brother before he even leaves yet. He is still a baby boy who can’t be separated from his brother.”

Everyone laughed except Chang Wook, Shin Hye and Yoo Chun. All of them know it very clearly what is the actual reason Chang Wook want to leave. 

~~~~~

“You are here. I was looking for you everywhere.” Yoo Chun said as he walked towards Chang Wook who was standing in front of the fishpond in the garden.

Chang Wook turned around when he heard his best friend’s voice and smirked at him. “I just come out to get some fresh air. They are talking about football and you know I don’t fit into that topic.”

Yoo Chun stood beside him and inhaled a deep breath. “Why did you decide to go to Japan? It’s only two of us here. You can be honest to me.”

“You heard my father just now. He needs someone to lead the team and firm up the business there. And I’m his best choice.” Chang Wook replied flatly.

Yoo Chun turned to look at him. “There are a lot of experienced staffs in Ji Corporation. I’m sure your father could find someone if you don’t want to go.” He paused and sighed. “Is this decision have anything to do with my sister?”

Chang Wook was silent and just stared mindlessly at the fishes in the pond.

“I know something happened between you and Shin Hye during your birthday.” Yoo Chun said.

Chang Wook turned to him and looked at him in surprise. “She told you?”

Yoo Chun nodded. “She was quite frightened that night. She also told me that… she kissed you.”

“It was just a light peck. And she thought I’m Jin Wook.” Chang Wook corrected him.

“And because of that you are going to hide yourself in Japan like a coward?” Yoo Chun asked, slightly frustrated by his best friend.

Chang Wook let out a deep sigh. “I’m not hiding. I don’t even need to hide because Shin Hye doesn’t even know…”

“I told her.” Yoo Chun cut him off.

Chang Wook widened his eyes. “Told her what?”

Yook Chun sighed. “I sort of told her that… you have feelings for her.”

“Yah, Park Yoo Chun. How can you tell her…” Chang Wook glared at him with a bewildered expression.

“She can feel it.” Yoo Chun cut him off again.

Chang Wook pursed his lips and waited for him to continue.

Yoo Chun sighed again. “She sensed something strange and… she could feel that you have a thing for her.”

Chang Wook turned back to the front and inhaled a sharp breath. He shouldn’t be surprise. How can she not sense it when he was so obvious that night?

“I have to go.” He broke the silence after a long while. “You are right.” He said again as he looked at Yoo Chun. “Shin Hye was the main reason that I have to go. I know nothing could ever happen between us but I don’t want to be a hurdle to them even a tiny bit.” He paused and inhaled deeply. “She is my brother’s girlfriend. I don’t want to complicate the situation because I have no confidence on how long I could control myself from doing anything reckless. I need to stay away from them in order to move on. Leaving Korea is the best way I could think of.”

Yoo Chun doesn’t know what else to say because everything he said was right. He was the one who handed the chance to Jin Wook willingly. It was too late to do anything now because Shin Hye already chose his brother.

He moved his hand to Chang Wook’s shoulder and squeezed it softly. “No matter what decision you make, I just want you to know that I’ll always support you.”

Chang Wook looked at him and smiled. “Thank you, buddy.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I think it will look better if you stretch your leg further and your hand go higher.”

Park Shin Hye said to one of the ballerinas as she held her hand and helped her to stretch. She then let go of her and stepped back towards the side of the stage.

The Korean National Ballet will be having a charity performance next month and Shin Hye will be responsible to arrange and be in-charged of the performance this time. In just five years, she have already become the principal dancer in KNB and most of the time now she will only perform in those big performances and become an instructor in the KNB academy.

After the rehearsal was over, she walked down of the stage and when she was about to walk over to the exit, she saw Jin Wook sitting at the audience seats not far away from her.

Jin Wook smiled at her when their eyes locked at each other. He stood up and slowly walked towards her.

“Hi, beautiful.” He said as his hand s to her slim waist, pulling her closer to him.

Shin Hye giggled. “Hi, handsome. How do you know I’m here?”

Jin Wook stared down at her as he pinched her nose playfully. “I went to your house and your mother told me you are back to the academy. We just came back from England yesterday. You should rest at home.”

“I can’t sleep well. I think I’m still having jetlag.” She paused and smiled at him. “I’ve been in England for a month to accompany you for your training. I’ve missed a lot here and I need to catch up with their practice. Their performance is next month. There is not much time left. I need to make sure everything is good and in order.”

Jin Wook heaved a deep sigh before he held her hand and gently caressed the diamond ring around her finger. “I know. But you are going to be my wife soon. I don’t want you to work so hard.” He grinned as he inched closer to her. “You are just allowed to stay at home to take care of my children in the future.”

Shin Hye laughed and hit his chest softly. “Yah, I’m not a pig. I have my own dream and career. Ballet is my world.”

Jin Wook narrowed his gaze. “I thought I’m your world. Am I not?” He paused and held her hand up. “Don’t forget. You have already accepted my proposal in England.”

“Arasso.” Shin Hye said with a sweet smile. “But when are we going to tell our parents? We don’t have much time left since you want to have the wedding in three months time. What is the rush by the way? We need to prepare a lot of things. Do you think three months is enough?”

“You know I’ve signed the contract with the club in England. I’ll start playing for them in next season of the Champions League. I need to go back to England for training three months later.” Jin Wook paused and caressed her cheek. “I want you to stay there with me. But I know your father is not too happy that you always go to England with me. So, I guess he will feel better if you go there with me as my wife.”

Shin Hye smiled as she nodded. He was right. Her father was not pleased that she always went to England with him. Although they have been together for seven years now, but they are still not married and people will talk around.

“My mother has planned a small family reunion party at home next week. Hyung will come back from Japan for a meeting and this time he will stay in Seoul for few days. I plan to announce to them on that day.” Jin Wook spoke again.

Shin Hye looked at him with a surprise gaze. “C-Chang Wook oppa will be back next week?” She asked. Since he went to Japan five years ago, his work has been so busy and every time he came back, it will only be a day trip or the most two days. She wasn’t sure did he plan it on purpose or what but every time when he came back, she would either be busy or not in the country. She have not seen him for five years since the day he told everyone that he is going to Japan.

Jin Wook tilted his head and gazed down at her. “It has been a long time since you last saw him, right? Last year when he was back, you were having a performance in US. When we go to visit him in Japan, you were stuck with your practice.”

She bit her lip and smiled slightly. “Yes. It has been a long time.” She inhaled a deep breath and looked at Jin Wook. “Does he have any plan to come back to Korea?”

Jin Wook shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. He seems to enjoy his life in Japan. I wish he could come back too. Both of us were so busy these few years and we can only talk through the phone and see each other through Skype.” He sighed softly before he smiled at her. “I really missed the time when both us always stay together and chat until late at night. But I think it’s normal that people will start to drift apart as we grow up. Since he is happy with his life in Japan, I’m happy for him too.”

Shin Hye moved her hand to his face and gave him a warm smile. “I’m sure he miss you too. Both of you will not drift apart because your brother love you a lot.”

“I know.” Jin Wook said as he pulled her into his arms.

Shin Hye rested her chin against his shoulder as she sighed silently. She is not lying. Chang Wook really loves him a lot. She closed her eyes and let her memories brought her back to five years ago.

 

~~~~~

 

5 years ago…

 

“No matter what decision you make, I just want you to know that I’ll always support you.” Yoo Chun said.

Chang Wook looked at him and smiled. “Thank you, buddy.”

 

Shin Hye covered with both her hands, trying not to make a single noise. She was looking for Yoo Chun to tell him that their parents wanted to go home and when she found him in the garden, she overheard his conversation with Chang Wook. She was hiding behind a tree and every word they said makes her heart beat tremendously fast.

So, it was true. Chang Wook really has feelings for her. And he decided to go to Japan because he wants to stay away from her. But why she felt a huge heaviness pressed against her chest? She felt shock and sad at the same time when she knows that Chang Wook is leaving. She doesn't dare to find out what is the exact reason she felt like that. She doesn’t want to dig into that uncertain feeling deep inside her heart. He was right. Nothing could ever happen between them because she loves Jin Wook.

    

--------------------------------------------------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter