Uncertainty

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hi, Shin Hye. It has been a while since we last met.”

Park Min Young’s voice echoed into Shin Hye’s ear and her mind went blank for a moment as she tried to absorb what was happening right in front of her. She was totally stunned and unable to react.

Park Min Young.

She remembered this name. Of course she remembered who Park Min Young is. It indeed has been a while since they last met. The last time she saw her was during Jin Wook’s funeral and at that time she was still Chang Wook’s girlfriend. But in just few months, in just the blink of an eye, their position has completely switched, entirely changed.

The man that was supposed to be Min Young’s boyfriend has now become her husband and… the woman that was supposed to be Chang Wook’s sister in-law has now become his wife. This must be the most ridiculously pathetic thing that ever happened. And knowing that she was the main reason of their break-up, guilt began to flow into her conscience. She could feel everyone’s eyes on her, waiting for her to respond. But no matter how hard she resist the urge to hold her breath, it just felt like the lump in is getting bigger. Her heart pounding hard in her tight chest as fear consumed her.

Chang Wook turned to Shin Hye, his jaw clenched tightly when he saw the expression on her face. He quickly reached out to hold her hand firmly in his, and not surprise to feel the freezing coldness of her skin. He could also feel her body slightly trembling beside him. Suddenly immense worry hit him. Meeting Min Young again will definitely make her thinks a lot, especially with his past history with Min Young.

Although it was just a very tiny gesture from both of them, but Min Young could still noticed how Chang Wook held Shin Hye’s hand and the evident concern that etched across his face. Forcing herself to maintain his composure and shrugged off her jealousy, she continued to smile and looked at the rest of the people.

“Have I really changed that much? It was only a few months and Shin Hye doesn’t seem to recognize me. She already forgot about me.” Min Young said, trying to sound like joking and hide her sarcasm.

Chang Wook gave Shin Hye’s hand a gentle squeeze and successfully shook her off from her deep thoughts. Realizing that everyone were still staring at her, Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath and let out an embarrassed smile before looking at Min Young again.

“H-Hi… it has really been a while since… since we met.” Shin Hye nodded her head softly, greeted Min Young with her shaky and unnatural voice.

“Your stomach is so big already.” Min Young glanced down at her lower body and slowly looked up at her again. “Congratulations. Both of you are going to be parents soon. I’m so happy for you guys.”

Shin Hye bit her lower lip hard, feeling uncomfortable with Min Young’s wishes. She wasn’t sure about her but everyone in this house know the baby is not Chang Wook’s and with her mentioning about the baby will only make her feel more uneasy.

As a woman, Kim Sung Ryung could totally understand the uncomfortable feeling between the two young ladies and sensed the tension atmosphere. She let out a smile and quickly broke the awkwardness. “The dinner is ready. Let’s go to the dining room and have our dinner.”

Taking a quick glance at Shin Hye, her uneasy expression made Min Young’s heart swell with joy. She really wanted to tell her that tonight is just the beginning. She is back now and will definitely take back everything that belongs to her, the man she love, and the position that was supposed to be hers.

“Thank you for having me here tonight.” Min Young thanks the elders politely as she followed them to the dining room, leaving Chang Wook and Shin Hye who were still standing at the same spot, unmoving.

Chang Wook inhaled a deep breath, his grip around her hand tightened. “Are you okay?” He asked in a cautious tone.

Without even looking at him, Shin Hye just continued to bite her bottom lip and nodded her head softly. She then pulled her hand away from him and reluctantly make her way to the dining room with Chang Wook following closely behind her. Worry obviously painted on his face.

 

During the dinner, Chang Wook and Shin Hye were very quiet as Min Young was busy praising the food and telling the elders how much she missed being here since the last time she came. As she was talking to them, she never forget to keep stealing sideway glances at Chang Wook without anyone notice. But to her disappointment, Chang Wook’s attention was all focussed on Shin Hye. He didn’t even notice or even listen to whatever Min Young was saying and just busy putting foods into Shin Hye’s bowl as his eyes never leave her.

Shin Hye was very quiet, her face was held low and mindlessly eating whatever Chang Wook put in her bowl. She couldn’t taste anything she eats and just stuffed everything into . Her mind was clouded with all kind of things that make her head foggy.

“Shin Hye…”

Shin Hye… someone is calling her name.

“Shin Hye…”

Shin Hye slowly looked up, Min Young’s voice that continuously echoed in her ears has successfully shook her off from her deep thoughts and caught her attention.

“Are you okay?” Min Young asked, trying to sound worried.

“Ah…” Shin Hye’s lips parted slightly, letting out an awkward smile. “I… I’m just thinking… about the baby.”

Chang Wook stopped chewing almost immediately as his brows creased together at what she said. With the sudden appearance of Min Young tonight, he has almost forget about what the doctor told them about the baby this afternoon.

“Oh yeah, Chang Wook told me about your maternity check-up today. Is everything alright with the baby?” Min Young asked again, faking concern.

Shin Hye held her breath for a moment as she turned to Chang Wook and met his worried gaze. As what they agreed in the car just now, they decided not to say anything about the breech baby to the elders yet to prevent them from worrying.

Turning back to Min Young, Shin Hye forced a weak smile. “The baby is fine.”

“Is good to hear that.” Min Young smiled too. “When is your due date?”

“Next month.” Chang Wook was the one who replied this time. He reached out for Shin Hye’s hand under the table and held her tightly, giving her a soft, comforting squeeze. He is here and will not let her face anything alone.

“You must be very worried and excited at the same time.” A soft chuckle escaped Min Young’s lips, her eyes shifted to Chang Wook. “You are lucky that I’m back now to lessen your workload while you can enjoy the happiness to be a father. You should be grateful to have your capable assistant back to help you.”

Assistant?

Shin Hye took a glance a Chang Wook before slowly looked back at Min Young. “You… will be back to assist oppa? Did you… come back to assist him until the new project ends?”

Min Young’s smile widened as she shook her head. “Not only for this project, but I’m transferred to Korea permanently. Chang Wook needs an assistant to work for him and hwejang-nim thinks I’m the best candidate since we have been working together for a long time in Japan. We have very good chemistry… in work.” She paused and her eyes averted to Chang Wook. “You didn’t tell Shin Hye that I’m back?”

Chang Wook took a hard swallow, feeling his heart raced at the same time. “I… I didn’t have the time to tell her yet.” His voice a bit shaky as he dare not to look at Shin Hye.

Min Young continued to smile when she saw Shin Hye’s face is getting paler and paler every second. “I hope you won’t mind that we are working together. I mean… we are still friends.”

Everyone in the dining room got stunned at what Min Young said as their eyes turned to Shin Hye, as if waiting for her next reaction. It is a fact that Min Young was Chang Wook’s ex-girlfriend and everyone knows that Chang Wook broke up with her because of Shin Hye. Having the two of them under the same roof was clearly a wrong idea. Kim Sung Ryung gave her husband a murderous glare and Ji Joon Young immediately got the message. He regretted right away for inviting Min Young over for dinner. But he swears that he didn’t know Chang Wook and Shin Hye are coming back tonight.

Shin Hye bit her lip hard as she felt her heart constrict again, but this time for a different reason, an unknown reason. Not awkward, not guilty… but… what? Jealous?

“O-Of course I don’t mind. I should be thankful that you are willing to come back.” She forced a light smile and looked straight into Min Young’s eyes. “Thank you for helping oppa and take care of him. I don’t know anything about business and moreover I’m pregnant and will deliver soon. I won’t be able to take care of him when I’m not around. I’m glad you could assist him in the office.”

Although her voice was soft and unintentional, but it sounded like a challenge to Min Young and her words angered her. Who give her the right to say those words? If not because of her, the one who is standing beside Chang Wook and taking care of him now would be her, Park Min Young. She is the one who stole everything away from her and destroyed her happiness.

Forcing herself to stay controlled, she faked another smile but didn’t say anything anymore and continued to eat.

Chang Wook took a quick glance at Min Young before looking back at Shin Hye as he breathed in deeply and let out a silent sigh. He doesn’t know why but felt a strange aura between the two of them, as if there is a hidden meaning in their conversation.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

After they had finished their dinner, Chang Wook quickly told his parents that they need to go home as Shin Hye must be very tired and need to rest. Shin Hye didn’t reject either because she also wanted to leave this place as fast as she can. He was right that she is tired, physically and mentally tired.

Quiet and tension filled the atmosphere throughout the journey back home. Shin Hye was completely drowned in her deep thoughts as Chang Wook kept stealing sideway glances at her, cautious and worried. Meeting Min Young tonight was unexpected and lying to Shin Hye was his fault. Looking at her reaction now, it reminds him about Bo Ra’s incident all over again. If he know thing will become like this, he will surely be honest to her on the first day he knows that Min Young was back. But to regret now is too late. He needs to talk to her, understand what is bothering her and what is she thinking in her mind.

“Shin Hye, I…” Chang Wook called after her the moment they walked into their apartment, but without giving him a chance to complete his sentence, Shin Hye totally ignored him and marched straight to the room. A long, breathy sigh escaped his lips as he could only watched her walking away helplessly.

After taking a long bath, Shin Hye came out from the bathroom and not surprise to see Chang Wook sitting in the room waiting for her. Still not wanting to talk to him, she just walked straight to her bed and prepares to sleep.

Taking a deep breath, Chang Wook could no longer stand her cold shoulder as he quickly pulled himself up from the couch. He rushed to her and grasped her arm, turning her around to face him.

“Talk to me.” Chang Wook spoke, his voice sounded pathetic and almost begging. “Please don’t ignore me. Your silence is driving me crazy.”

Silence settled in once again as their eyes locked and just stared at each other. They could practically hear their own heartbeat in the deadly quiet atmosphere. And after what seemed like forever, Shin Hye finally spoke and broke the silence.

“When did Min Young come back?”

Chang Wook pressed his lips pressed into a grim line. “One week ago.”

“When did you know about it?” She asked again.

There was a pause before he replied. “The first day I went back to work.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes for a moment as she bit her lower lip. When she opened her eyes again, they had turned red and teary. “Why didn’t you tell me that Min Young is back to Korea?”

Chang Wook’s chest tightened instantly the moment he saw her reddened eyes and heard the trembling in her voice. “I… I thought it was unnecessary. She came back just for work, nothing else.” He answered nervously. “She… she is just a friend, a working partner.”

Shin Hye pulled her hand away from his grip and shook her head. “She is not… just a friend.” She paused and sank her teeth into her bottom lip, so hard that it almost bleed. “She is your ex-girlfriend.”

“It’s not like that.” Chang Wook said, almost shouted. He stepped forward and held her arms once again, tighter this time. It broke his heart to hear her trembling voice. She sounded sad and he wasn’t sure she is scared, guilty or… jealous. “Shin Hye, please calm down and listen to me. Yes, she was my girlfriend but there is nothing between us now. To me, she is just a colleague who work in my company. I don’t even know that my father has called her back until I saw her in the office that day. But no matter what, come back or not, she won’t affect anything. We are just friends.” He explained, looking into her eyes cautiously. “Please… don’t be angry.”

Holding his gaze for a moment, Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath before shaking her head softly. “I’m not angry.” She said, tears threatening to escaped her eyes. “I’m just…” She paused and swallowed hard. “I’m just ashamed of myself. Seeing her again… it reminds me of everything. She reminds me that everything that I’m having now, the peacefulness, the happiness, and the home that I’m having now… it was all built on her sadness. Because of me, she was hurt.” Tears finally rolled down her cheeks. “Standing in front of her… I felt like a thief… a thief that stole her boyfriend away.”

“No…” Chang Wook shook his head vigorously as his hands moved up to cup her face, thumbs feathering gently caress along her delicate skin and wiped her tears away at the same time. “You are not a thief.” He said in a firm tone. “You didn’t steal anyone or anything from her. I already told you that the person I love all along is you, not her. Even if all this didn’t happen, we will not end up together. Sooner or later, we will still walk our separate way. I admit that I indeed hurt her, but it was my own fault and it has nothing to do with you.” He paused and looked deeply into her eyes, showing her every ounce of his honesty. “You didn’t steal from her because I don’t belong to her. And if I do belong to anyone… it would be you.”

“It was my fault.” Tears raining down her cheeks uncontrollably as she shook her head fiercely. “Even if you don’t love her wholeheartedly, it’s still my fault that both of you broke up. If not because of me, you will not ended your relationship with her to marry me. Both of you will still be together and slowly you might fall in love with her. I took that chance away from Min Young. It was my fault.” Before Chang Wook could say anything, she quickly pulled away from him and turned around, not wanting him to see how shameful she was at this moment.

Chang Wook held his hand up to grab Shin Hye’s hand again, but before he touches her, his hand stopped and hanged in mid-air. Her sobbing voice and trembling sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter