Clueless

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two months later…

 

“Ta-da…”

Ji Chang Wook came out from the kitchen and placed a bowl of soup in front of Park Shin Hye. He took a seat in front of her at the dining table and looked at her with a wide smile spread across his face.

Shin Hye glanced down at the soup before looking up at him again. “What is this?”

“Pork bones with lotus root soup.” Chang Wook replied. “I saw this recipe in the internet. In Chinese traditions, it is commonly known that soups are very healthy and nutritious meals, providing the mother and the baby with important vitamins. The main ingredient in this soup is lotus root. Lotus root is high in fiber, which helps your digestive system work properly.” He paused and smiled at her. “Since the soup is boiled for some time, the lotus roots will have absorbed all the goodness of the pork bones. I tried some in the kitchen just now. The taste is very good. I think you will like it.”

Shin Hye smiled back in return before she took the spoon up in her hand. “I know I’ll like it. I can already smell the mouth watering aroma before you come out from the kitchen.” She spooned some of the soup and blowing on it gently before putting it into . Her eyes twinkled the moment she tasted the soup and looked back at Chang Wook.

“Matda…” She said as she continued to spoon the soup into . “Oppa, you are really like a real cook now. Everything you cook is so delicious. I don’t think I can sleep well without eating the food cooked by you now.” She ate a small piece of lotus root before she smiled at him again. “What did you put inside the food you cooked? I’m completely addicted.”

Chang Wook smiled happily as his eyes continued to gaze at her. It felt so good to see her eating so well and she is even smiling. She smiled a lot lately. Compared to the time when they just moved in, she has changed so much. Her appetite has improved and even gained some weight now. The past two months have been hard for both of them, trying hard to cope with the sudden changes in their lives. But with Chang Wook’s continuous support, with Shin Hye being with him and getting better each day, both of them managed to overcome the hardest time together. Although he will still see her crying alone once in a while but at least she doesn’t break down or lost her control like the previous months. Her emotions are more in control now.

“Your appetite is getting better. It’s so good to see you eating so well.” Chang Wook said.

Shin Hye looked up at him and smiled. “Because you spoil me with a lot of delicious food. You learned so many new recipes and everything was so delicious. I can’t stop myself from eating. Look at me… I gained so much weight.” She paused and gazed into his eyes. “It must be very hard for you, a man learning to cook. Thank you, oppa.”

Chang Wook shook his head. “As long as you are willing to eat, no matter how hard it is, I’ll try my best to learn and cook for you. It’s healthier for pregnant woman to eat home-cooked food. Since you are five months pregnant now, the morning sickness and fatigue that plagued you during the last few months is slowly fading. You look more energetic and like your old self again. I’m less worry now.”

Shin Hye smiled softly and continued to eat. But after a while, she stopped and looked up at him again. “Oppa, when are you going back to work?” She bit her lip. “I know you are worry and want to take care of me but… I’m feeling better now. You… you should go back to work. Abeonim must be very tired without your help in the company.” She said apologetically. She knows Chang Wook is a workaholic. Career is very important to him. But because of her, he put down his priority and concentrates on taking care of her.   

“There is no rush.” He said, smiling at her. “Appa have a lot of good staffs working under him. He can manage even without me for a while. I have been working so hard for the last few years. I sacrificed a lot of precious things just to chase my dream. I suddenly feel exhausted and want to stop for a while to rest. This is the best chance for me to take a long break.” He looked into her eyes and exhaled a soft breath. “I enjoy the relax and carefree lifestyle now…” He paused and moved his hand over to grasp hers. “… with you.”

Shin Hye held his gaze for a long moment, feeling her heart pounding fast against her chest. It happens very frequent lately. Whenever their eyes were locked deeply at each other, whenever he took the initiative getting close to her, she couldn’t control herself from being nervous. For the past two months, their relationship was undeniably got closer and she felt so much more comfortable being around him. Instead of feeling discomfort, all his small little intimate gesture makes her heartbeat raced faster each time. She wasn’t sure all this feeling was because he looked exactly like Jin Wook or not but she just feel so much better being with him. She felt safe, felt loved. She doesn’t want to think deeper to find out her real feeling towards him. She just hopes everything could remain like now without complicate the situation.

When Shin Hye didn’t say anything to reply him, Chang Wook thought she was uncomfortable with what he said. Those words were slipped out from his mouth naturally and weren’t meant to give her pressure. Taking a deep breath, he let out a small smile and quickly changed the sensitive topic.

“Yoo Chun is coming over with Ji Min and your eomma later. He said your mother was so excited when your father didn’t stop her from coming to see you. It has been a while since we moved here and she must have missed you a lot.” He said.

Shin Hye averted her gaze and nodded her head softly upon hearing what he said.

Looking at the sudden change of expression on her face, Chang Wook felt concern. “Are you okay to see so many people in a sudden?” He asked and looked at her cautiously. “If you are not comfortable, I can call Yoo Chun and asked them to come next time.” Although Yoo Chun and Ji Min will come over once in a while but this was the first time her mother come to visit her since she moved out. It was understandable if she feels nervous and uneasy about it.

Shin Hye slowly looked back at him and shook her head. “I’m… okay. It has been two months since I see my mother and I miss her too. But…” She paused and gently put the spoon down on the dining table. “… I just feel… nervous. Appa… must still be very angry with me.”

Chang Wook took another deep breath before he stood up and walked to her. Crouching in front of her, he grasped her hand and looked into her eyes. “First, you don’t need to feel nervous to meet your own parents. No matter what happened in the past, I’m sure your mother is just worried about you and can’t wait to see you again. Second, your father might still be angry with you but it was obvious that he care for you too. If not, do you think he will allow your mother to come here today?” He paused and gave her a warm smile. “He just needs some time to let go his man’s pride and forgive you.”

Shin Hye bit her lower lip softly before she slowly nodded. She gazed at him and smiled slightly. “Luckily you are here with me. If not, I really don’t know what will happen to me now. Thank you for staying by my side all this while.”

Tightening his grip around her hand, Chang Wook shook his head softly. “I should be the one who feel grateful that you give me a chance to take care of you.” His gaze slowly dropped to her small baby bump and smiled again. “Tomorrow will be your monthly prenatal check-up. We will get to see the baby this time.”

The smile on Shin Hye’s face widened when he mentioned about the baby. “Doctor Kim said she is going to do the ultrasound for me tomorrow.” She paused and caressed her small rounded stomach. “I’m five months pregnant now. I wonder can Doctor Kim see the gender of the baby tomorrow.” She looked at Chang Wook again and her face was slightly reddened. “Do you… have any preference? Do you like a girl or a boy?” She asked cautiously.

Chang Wook was slightly taken aback by her question. Although they are married now but no matter what, he is still not the father of the baby. Does his preference really matter? But still, he was happy that she asks him. It makes him feel like she actually cares for him too.

“As long as the baby is healthy, I don’t mind the gender.” He said as the smile on his face widened. “But to be honest, I can’t wait to see the baby. If it’s a girl, I hope she will look like you, beautiful and gentle. I want her to be a dancer like you too.” He said again as he gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “If it’s a boy, I hope he will look like you too, a beautiful and a strong boy. I hope he can be a good athlete like his father.”

The moment those words slipped out from his mouth, he regretted it right away. The smile on Shin Hye’s face vanished instantly as she looked away, avoiding his gaze. Although her emotional state has improved a lot but she will still get affected whenever he mention about Jin Wook. Sometimes, he wasn’t really sure she is getting better or just avoiding the reality. But if she felt better this way, he doesn’t want to force her to do anything that will make her unhappy. At least not now.

Taking a deep breath, he gently pulled his hand away from hers and stood up. “The soup is getting cold. Faster finish it before your brother come later.” He said, changing the topic. “They should be here soon.”

Without looking at him, Shin Hye nodded obediently as she continued to drink the soup quietly.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye quickly straightened up her body on the couch the moment the sound of the doorbell filled the living room. She took a deep breath and turned to Chang Wook nervously. He squeezed her hand softly and assured her with a warm smile.

“Don’t worry. They are your family. Just relax yourself, okay? I’ll go to open the door.” He said as he stood up and walked towards the door.

When Shin Hye saw her brother walked into the apartment together with Ji Min and her mother, she slowly stood up of the couch and grasped tightly on the fabric of her skirt. This was the first time she see her mother again after she was married to Chang Wook two months ago.

Her eyes immediately reddened and welled in tears when she locked her gaze with her mother. Tears began to roll down her face uncontrollably as they slowly walked towards each other.

“Eomma…” She sobbed softly and threw herself into Jin Kyung’s embrace. “Eomma…” She tightened her arms around her mother and closed her eyes.

Jin Kyung’s vision was blurred by her tears too but trying hard to suppress it from escaping her eyes. She gently Shin Hye’s back and comforts her. “Silly girl. Why are you crying? It’s not good for a woman to cry so much during her pregnancy. You should be happy to see eomma.” She said as she slowly pulled away from her and to take a good look at her daughter. Her gaze stopped at her rounded stomach and a small smile curled her lips up. Her hand slowly reached out and gently caressed her baby bump.

“Your stomach still hasn’t show yet when you moved out two months ago. It’s so big now.” Jin Kyung said as she looked back at her daughter. “With your stomach showing, you really look like a mother now.” She then moved her hand to Shin Hye’s face, it gently. “How are you feeling? Is the morning sickness still bad?”

Shin Hye wiped her tears away and shook her head. “I felt better now and the morning sickness is fading.” She paused and averted her gaze to Chang Wook, who was standing together with Yoo Chun and Ji Min. “Chang Wook oppa took very good care of me. He even learned to cook a lot of nutritious food for me. He said it’s better for pregnant woman to eat home-cooked food.”

Jin Kyung smiled and nodded. “No wonder you look so much better now. You seem to… gain some weight compared the last time I saw you.” She said as she turned to Chang Wook too. “Thank you for taking care of her. You did a very good job.”

Chang Wook shook his head and replied her in a polite tone. “Please don’t say that. It’s my responsibility to take care of her.” He smiled at her before he spoke again. “Don’t just stand here. Take a seat. I’ll go to get some drinks in the kitchen.” He said before he walked away from them.

Jin Kyung sat down on the couch beside her daughter as she glanced around the apartment. “The place is very spacious and tidy. I never thought Jin Wook would get all this prepared so well.”

Shin Hye inhaled sharply as she looked down when she heard Jin Wook’s name. Yoo Chun and Ji Min noticed her discomfort and Ji Min quickly nudged her boyfriend, sending him a silent message to do something.

Yoo Chun got the message instantly and quickly looked at his mother. “S-Shin Hye looked better compared the last time I came here. It’s good to see how well Chang Wook take care of my little sister.” He changed the topic, tried to divert their attention. “My best friend is always good in taking care of people. Eomma should be at ease now.”

Jin Kyung nodded and held Shin Hye’s hand. “I’m glad that you are well taken care.”

Shin Hye let out a faint smile.

And just then, Chang Wook came out from the kitchen and put the tray on the coffee table. “There is no coffee or English tea here. I stopped drinking coffee since it’s not good for pregnant woman. We only have ginger tea in the house. I bought a lot because I heard it’s a good remedy for morning sickness. Shin Hye love it.”

Shin Hye looked at her mother and smiled again. “Oppa specially ordered the ginger tea from Taiwan. It’s good for health. You have to try it.” She said as she took a cup for her mother.

Jin Kyung took a small sip and nodded. “It taste very good.”

Shin Hye let out another smile and looked at her. She hesitated for a moment before she found her courage to speak again. “Oppa said the tea is good for… high blood pressure too. You should bring some home and… let appa try.” She paused and inhaled a deep breath. “H-How… is appa? Did he take his medicine on time and be careful with his diet?”

Jin Kyung put the cup on the coffee table before holding Shin Hye’s hand again. “Don’t worry about him. He is doing fine. And with Yoo Chun helping him with his work, he has more time to rest.”

Shin Hye bit her lip hard. “He must still be very angry with me.” She said sadly.

Giving her hand a gentle squeeze, Jin Kyung looked at her and smiled. “Your appa is just stubborn and can’t put his pride down. I’m very sure he is not angry with you anymore.” She paused before turning to her handbag to take a small box out. She put it in Shin Hye’s hand and gently opened the box. It was a small gold bangle with a small bell charm hanging on it.

“Your father just came back from China one week ago. Although he said that this bangle was a gift from his client but I know he was lying. It doesn’t make sense that a client to give a baby bangle as a gift.” Jin Kyun smiled. “He knows I’m coming to see you today and passed this to me last night. I’m sure he bought this for his grandchild.”

Shin Hye took the bangle out and smiled with her tears streaming down her face. Chang Wook was right. Her father might still be angry at her but he care for her too. She slowly turned to Chang Wook and met his gaze. He smiled at her and nodded his head softly, telling her silently that everything is okay now.

Yoo Chun and Ji Min noticed their gesture and smiled meaningfully at each other.

 

After they finished the tea in the living room, Shin Hye brought her mother to take a look around the apartment with Ji Min followed together.

Yoo Chun took the last sip of the ginger tea before looking at his best friend and smirked. “If I remember correctly, coffee is like some kind of drug to you. You must drink at least two cups a day. And you are telling me now that you have stop drinking for two months?” He chuckled and shook his head. “It’s like some kind of Guinness world record for you to stop drinking coffee.”

“Coffee contains caffeine and it’s very bad for pregnant woman. I don’t want Shin Hye to smell the strong scent of the coffee. As long as the baby and she is healthy, stop drinking coffee is not a big deal for me. And moreover, coffee is not good for health. I can’t neglect my health now since I already have a family to take care.” Chang Wook said.

“Wow…” Yoo Chun put the cup down and clapped his hands. “You are incredible.” He . “But I’m really curious. What magic did you cast on my sister? It’s only been two months and she is so different now. She looked… happier.”

Chang Wook heaved a deep sigh. “I don’t know… she is really happier or… she is just trying to make me feel better and not to worry too much about her. Although her condition improved a lot but whenever I mention about Jin Wook, she will… try to avoid the topic and not talk about him.” He paused and breathed deeply. “But she indeed better compared to the time when we first moved in. Her nightmares have lessened and her appetite improved a lot. The past two months were tough but luckily I was a patient man. I guess… my patience is slowly pays off.”

Yoo Chun nodded and inhaled deeply. “It might still be a long way for both of you but at least you are heading to the right direction. I saw the way she looked at you just now. The gaze in her eyes was so different now. It feels like… you are someone very important to her. I believe her feeling for you have slowly changed too. She just needs some time to realize it herself.” He paused and smiled. “You did a good job and listened to what Ji Min want you to do. You make Shin Hye fall in love with you unknowingly. It seems like this way is really working for Shin Hye’s condition.”

Chang Wook held his gaze and shook his head firmly. “Everything I did is not for the sake to heal her. Everything I did for her… it came straight and truly from the bottom of my heart. Falling in love with me or not, I don’t really care. I just want her to stay happy and healthy always. The rest doesn’t matter at all.”

Yoo Chun looked at him and pursed his lips. “I believe in fate. Our meeting when we were kids, the bracelet that you found, Jin Wook with Shin Hye… you and Shin Hye…” He smiled. “Everything happens for a reason. We should wait and let fate take its course.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

While Shin Hye was out with the nurse for her routine urine test, Chang Wook waited for her in Doctor Kim’s room. They used the time when she was not around to talk about her condition.

“Looking at her weight and her blood test result, I would say her condition has improved a lot compared to the last check-up. Her blood pressure is normal and she is no longer underweight.” Doctor Kim said with a smile. “How is her emotion? Is there any sign of depression or any reckless behaviour?”

Chang Wook shook his head. “Her emotions is getting better too and… she doesn’t cry that much now. Except that she needs to go to the bathroom more frequent now, she sleeps very well at night. Her nightmares have lessened too.” He paused and looked at the doctor. “But there is one thing I’m quite concern. Although she looks like she okay now… but she seems to avoid talking about my brother. I mean whenever anybody mention about him, she seems to pretend that she doesn’t hear it or try not to continue with the conversation. It felt like she was rather avoiding the reality than recovering from it.”

Doctor Kim heaved a deep breath. “Emotional problems take time to heal, especially her situation is so… sudden. You have to be very patient and take everything slowly. And moreover, she is now married to you. It might also be a reason that she doesn’t want to make you feel uncomfortable to talk about her past relationship with your brother. If you ask me, looking at the situation now, it’s consider as a good progression and you should keep up with what you are doing.” She paused and smiled at him. “Overall she looks fine and healthy. As for the baby, we will be doing an ultrasound for her today. But as what I see here, I think everything should be fine.”

And just then, the door opened and Shin Hye came into the room with the nurse. Chang Wook quickly stood up and helped her over to sit beside him in front of the doctor. He turned to her as he held her hand at the same time.

“Is everything okay?” Chang Wook asked.

“I’m fine.” Shin Hye smiled and nodded. “How’s my blood test result? Is everything okay”

“Everything looks good. Your weight is just nice and looking at the size of your stomach, I think your baby is growing very healthily.” Doctor Kim replied her. “How’s your appetite? Is there still any vomiting or nausea?”

“Not as much compared to the first trimester. I eat very well and felt more energetic now. I just feel that I need to use the toilet more frequent now.” Shin Hye said.

Doctor Kim nodded. “Your hormonal changes cause the blood to flow more quickly through your kidneys, filling your bladder more often. And over the course of your pregnancy the amount of blood in your body rises until you have almost 50% more than before you got pregnant. This leads to a lot of extra fluid getting processed through your kidneys and ending up in your bladder. So don’t worry about it. It’s normal.”

Chang Wook looked at the doctor before he spoke. “What else do we need to take note during her second trimester? Anything that we need to be extra careful?”

“There are a lot as the baby growing bigger. One of it would be the backache problem.” Doctor Kim said. “The extra weight she gained in the last few months is starting to put pressure on her back, making it achy and sore. To ease the pressure, sit up straight and use a chair that provides food back support. Try avoid picking up or carrying anything heavy. Wear low-heeled, comfortable shoes with good arch support. If the pain is really uncomfortable, try helping her to rub the sore spots.”

Chang Wook turned to Shin Hye and looked at her in concern. “Do you feel any backache?”

Shin Hye bit her lip and let out a light smile. “Just a little.”

“Why didn’t you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter