His Smile

My Husband

I'm sorry for deactivating the account DX Mianhae~

And also sorry for updating really slow~ I pick up the pace! Enjoy your reading ^^

Sorry for any grammatical error (__ __)


I open my eyes, streaking of sunshine warming me as well as waking me up. I open my door and step out of the room. My steps are stopped by something sticky below my foot. It’s a sticky note, an arrow sticky note. I follow the rest on the floor leading me, the last one is sticking into the counter. Pointing up to the microwave. One circle sticky note is sticked into the electronic tool with someone’s hand writing says:

Annyeong, did you sleep well? Please warming this up in 5 minutes and enjoy your breakfast.

Young Jae

 

After turning it into number 5 I just realize a note is sticked into the refrigerator by a mini watermelon magnet. It’s said : House password is your birthdate. so you don’t forget it. I know it already and actually I’m curious about the odd second sentence. After the fullstop it isn’t written in capital letter while I believe Young Jae is neat in writing including punctuation. This is whether I’m an OCD or I overthinking.

 

Waiting an exact time five minutes, the dish is served. It’s an omurice, my favorite meal in the morning. Grumbling in my stomach encourages me to take down the Japanese omelette rice. The taste is almost like my mother usually cooks for me, but I’m sure eomma doesn’t make this one.

 

Finishing it less than a quarter of hour, someone appears from laundry room behind the kitchen set. A woman who seems as old as my mother standing not far from me, giving her mother-like smile. She introduces herself as Sung Soo Kyung, Young Jae’s nanny since he was a toddler. “Young-chan did a good job, didn’t he? How is it? Is it good?” She eyes the empty plate.

 

The breakfast is almost perfect but I just give her a nod. “So, the wife just wants the husband to know her praising about his cooking? Okay then, I’m sure I have done a great job taught him the skill.” She is glancing around, not happy expression written on her countenance. “Aish, this boy!” She is muttering Young Jae is littering around.

 

“Does he try to surprise you by this?” She rises one of the sticky note. Another nod is her answer, “He just adds another work for me.” “Let me clean it up,” I offer myself. “Don’t sweety, you need to go to office, don’t you? Young-chan always makes an odd suprise, just a helpless romantic man.”

 

Steping downstairs once more after taking bath now wearing my blazer, Soo Kyung ahjumma has finished her job. She comes at me and suddenly apologizing because she couldn’t attend our wedding celebration. What comes after that she wants to resign.

 

Her family in her town really needs her and there’s no possibility to return to this house. “My sick father needs me, so please tell Young-chan I really am sorry couldn’t say goodbye to him directly,” she said. Young-chan who I assume as Young Jae must be sad to lost her, I ask her to stay while I’ll call Young Jae to come home.

 

But she refuses my offering, “I don’t want to disturb his work,” she reasons. Then I just thank her for everything she has done on Young Jae’s behalf, giving sum of money for her and her family. She thanks me, I hope it’s enough. Before she left, she tells me about Young Jae’s favorite dishes, what Young Jae’s likes and dislikes, also his habits.

 

When she steps out the house heading to the taxi that I have paid for her, I thank her once again. “Young-chan always wants to make his wife a breakfast, so I’m happy he finds his woman.” Giving her my crooked smile because actually my appa who chose him as my husband, not because I want to. But I’m forced to. After saying our farewell, I know it’s my time to go for work.

***

The next day I tell him the news, I don’t know why does his sad expression affect me. It’s as if I were someone who is at lost but still he cares about me, “Are you okay to do the chores just by yourself?” He asked me when we relax in the family room, he wants to add another sentence just before I say, “I’m okay.” I decide to not talking more than one sentence but something insides me wants the otherwise. “Because my work hours isn’t as long as it used to be, I can do the chores before and after work.”

 

There Young Jae with his sweet smile, after seeing his disappointed look a minute ago already makes me missing his contagious smile. He said, “Thank you for being considered,” I avert my face to my cross feet on the carpet because I know my cheeks’ colour is red. I rarely being prised by men except my father, hearing that word makes my heart speeds up. Just what’s wrong with me? Actually he is the one who is being considered. Being taken care of him makes me special.

 

Went for honeymoon-holiday, played ski together, had a dinner, slept on the same bed, cooked with him, living in the same roof, eat his cook, is this what marriage life like? Is this what husband does? My thoughts go on until Young Jae calls my name several times, “Do you want to go somewhere tomorrow?” I examine carefully his eyes eventhough we sit in different couch. His eyes tell me he needs more sleep so I reject his idea.

***

                One week has passed, do the chores by myself isn’t as easy as I thought. With two stories house and no one helps me has made me exhausted. One day when I accidentaly sleep on the couch after work, Young Jae comes home seeing the house isn’t as clean as always. “I’m...the house...” I can’t find my voice but his response almost makes my voice gone.

                “Let’s do the chores together then. I sweep the floor while you wash the dishes and after that you do the laundry while I mop the floor, agree?” I just nod and do as he said, my job is easy though. There are dish washer and washing machine. On the other side he doesn’t complain at all. Sweeping and moping both stairs with his light blue blouse, not bothering to go changing first. He even says, “I never clean the house in the night,” then he laughs. I feel this is my fault, he is tired more than myself but still helps me.

                “Have you had dinner yet?” He stops his action then answers, “Ah, I forget to eat!” His hand on his temple with pain expression. “What do you want to eat?” After finishing his part, he waits in the dinner table. I feel uneasy when I know he stares at my back but before I say my uneasiness he goes to family room to watch TV. Not too long after that dinner is served, apparently the hungry man on the couch sleeps peacefully when I walk to his side. Just what did he do in the office makes him skiping his dinner?

                I turn off the TV and suddenly he wakes up. I made bibimbap for him, seeing him eating makes me content. My cook isn’t that bad or it’s just one of his favorite. “Thank you for the food.” Then after that night we never have dinner together.

***

                The next season has come, I get more busy for upcoming event. The advertisement in the TV by featuring rising idol group will catch out targeted consumers, I don’t have any doubt about that. But reminding my conversation with Young Jae in the car that night makes me giggle at myself. His voice is as sweet as candy, his face is as handsome as Korean actor. The last thought makes me blush, I can’t think like that about the boss.

                The meeting should finish before dark but the vice president of marketing department wasn’t at the same page as me and my colleagues. Taking my phone out of my purse I receive three miscalls and two messages, all from Young Jae.

                Where are you? Is something comes up in the office? | 08:42 PM

                Have you had dinner yet? I have cooked something, let’s have dinner! | 09:59 PM

                I smile over his message, this is another late dinner after the last one since last month. He even opens the doors for me, I do really feel strange towards his attention after a couple of months. But being not treated like this will make my bad day gets worst. We spend the dinner by sharing our story of the day.

***

                The project isn’t going as smooth as I want, I neglect the chores. When I want to grab the door knob of the house my phone is ringing in my purse, my dad is calling me.

                “Yeoboseyo, Appa. What’s wrong?” I close the door behind me.

                “Please take care of Young Jae more, seems like he lost his weight.” It’s my eomma’s voice instead.

                “Eomma? How do you—”

                “I went to his office and he really is slimmer. Ah, my fluffy son-in-law, Young Jae. His cheeks aren’t as cute as before.” Scoffing over her words, seems my eomma is his number one fan already. “Don’t you give him food?” she said when I get in the taxi and we drive off to my office.

                “He goes to office before I wake up and comes home earlier than me now, maybe he has dinner. How should I—”

                “Yah, you’re a woman! How could you wake up late? Eventhough I call you ‘princess’ doesn’t mean you can live as a princess there!”

                “He goes to the office earlier before the sun is rising!” I stop because I raise my voice and realizing actually I can do something about this. “How is Appa? Is he okay?”

                “Your sick appa called me last week and fortunately that old man was with Young Jae. Your appa made Young Jae called a taxi for me to pick him up. Aish, that old man!” Young Jae didn’t tell me anything about appa, as if my eomma could hear my thought, she says, “Your appa told him to not telling about the accident to you, he doesn’t want to make you worry.”

                The story goes on until the reason why my appa had a headache that time because he stole Ha Neul’s chocopie. I hang up my phone as I have arrived to the destination, saying my sorry and goodbye to my eomma after. Today will be a long day for sure.

***

                Another season comes, today is my birthday and Young Jae isn’t in my sight at the first floor. Maybe he has gone to work. The possibility he forgets my birthday eventhough the house passwords is my birthdate, is there. I feel slightly sad and huffing a loud sigh. Perhaps someone is hearing the sighing, that person comes behind me with cheerful smile. “Let’s go somewhere!” Young Jae doesn’t take a no when I insist to go to office. “You need a rest,” he says calmly.

                After dressing with something not too revealing I’m dragged to somewhere familiar. It’s my house. “It has been a long time since you were here right?” He says still focusing on the road, occasionally glancing at me to know my reaction. He is chuckling because my reaction is as same as what he expects. We spend the rest of morning with my appa and eomma. They are really happy to see Young Jae, mostly my eomma.

                I don’t know when they start liking him, I don’t want to return to the square one where I think of bad thoughts about him. He never hurts me moreover he never tries it. I don’t want to admit it but I think my appa’s choice to set an arranged marriage with him isn’t wrong. Maybe it’s just luck. Eventhough I think it’s okay to trust him, I must take a baby step.

                Lunch is coming, my eomma asks me to pick Ha Naeul up. Just as I want to go out of the house, she says, “Go with Young Jae, why do you act like you have no husband?” I look at Young Jae who is obviously blushing over my eomma’s sentence. That way, we go to Ha Neul’s school. Young Jae drops me in front of the gate, he says he needs to go somewhere for a while.

                After half of an hour, I call my cute little dongsaeng when I see her with her friends walking toward the gate. Widening her eyes and closing her agape mouth, with a rush she says goodbye to her bunch of friends and waving to them. She runs to me and hugs me really tight. “Eonnie, I miss you so much!” I can see the tears threaten to fall when we absorb each other face, just then Young Jae blowing his horn.

                Lowering the window and smiling at Ha Neul, he calls her name. “Young Jae oppa!” She said happily. I don’t think Ha Neul will call him ‘oppa’ because I think she isn’t that close to him. And I never call him ‘oppa’ but I shrug it off, maybe Ha Neul wants to respect him. As we return to the house, my eomma has prepared the lunch. Then we start digging in.

                When the lunch has finished, Ha Neul takes Young Jae to the backyard. She wants to have Young Jae’s suggestion regarding the most suitable job in business field for her. Or she just wants to avoid my eomma’s order to clean the dinner table. My appa helps me and eomma instead. I can see through the opened window to the backyard, they have a good time together.

                “How’s your relationship with him?” Suddenly my appa asked me, another pile of dirty plates on his hands.

                “Good,” silence. “I think.”

                “It seems Young Jae always makes a move,” my eomma jumps in the conversation as she opens the cupboard. I let out a heavy sigh, not agreeing in this conversation. “You don’t give him a chance?” She asked again. “I don’t know why he agrees in this marriage, I...” My voice drifts off. “Whenever I ask him, the reason is never clear one.” I see Young Jae’s countenance turns serious while Ha Neul listens to him carefully.

                “Please give him a time, he will tell you someday.” My eomma said. “Yah!” I jump in shock when slapping sound could be heard behind me. “Don’t steal the chocopie, old man!” My appa rubs his back of hand, “Aish, I want to place it nicely.” Absolutely not the best lie ever. My eomma is still scolding the poor old man until I finish washing the dishes. “Do you get a day off because you faint at the office, appa?” I turn to the bickering couple.

                “No, it’s because Young Jae told me to take a day off on your birthday.” Another Young Jae’s kindness. “Without him telling me I would take the day off surely,” he continues. “But it’s out of my prediction for him to bring you here. I thought he will take you somewhere else,” eomma finishes my appa’s sentence. “Let’s have a cup of tea, bring him in.” My eomma said when I slowly sunk in my thought.

                I walk to the man and the girl, without me hearing my eomma said, “Why is our daughter so blind when Young Jae’s love is so obvious?” My appa answers, “Obviously your trait.” Another slap on the old man’s shoulder, the latter is hissing at the stinging feeling. “I’m glad her hands aren’t as fast as yours,” my eomma wants to raise her hand again when Young Jae comes in. “Excuse me eomonim, abeonim,” he is giving them a slight bow and walking to his car. My eomma pats the old man’s shoulder instead and presenting her sweetest smile ever.

                While we have our tea in the living room, Young Jae comes with white big box. It’s my birthday cake! I jump slightly can’t hide my eagerness to devour the sweet dish as soon as possible. There are twenty seven candles before me ready to be blown up. But before that, my family plus Young Jae sing a birthday song. After telling my wish, the wind from my mouth is able to shut down the light.

                The event is saved in Ha Neul’s cellphone and appa’s digital camera except the one when I and Young Jae in the frame only, is saved in my phone. My eomma always asks us to have a sweet moment like feeding each other, sits closely, just anything! My appa lefts the room as soon as I feed Young Jae, of course after eomma’s pleading look. Ha Neul is busy to record every moment not realizing appa takes something that I see is chocopie.

                The celebration ends when we say our goodbye and thank you. I know eomma is trying her best to not hitting appa again, not until they are out of my sight. The way to the house is silent, but contended silent. Maybe Young Jae’s plan went smoothly and I really am happy today. When we reach home, Young Jae presses on the right number of the date.

                I grab his hanging hand makes him looking in my eyes, “Thank you for today, Young Jae...” He smiles brightly and what comes after that makes him caught off guard, “Oppa...” I gulp down my own saliva after continuing the left sentence. The answer is his brightest smile ever, “You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoy it.” He takes my hand, leading me to the house. The electric current flows to my body through my hand, Young Jae’s warmness transfers to me.

                “Please change to the dress I’ve prepared for you upstairs,” he averts his eyes to my door room. “Oppa will meet you before dinner, arachi?” His cheekbones really are the best features of him. Talking to me like a little girl isn’t helping at all, my cheeks already burnt after he squeezed my hand and left it into my side. He goes to his own room, not failing to leave his signature smile before he closes his door. Hurriedly I go to my room for cooling down my hot cheeks.

***

                I don’t know whether I regret it or not calling him ‘oppa’ just because Ha Neul calls him like that but he really is happy and he doesn’t even try to hide it. The dinner goes well, the music, chattering sound, are perfect. But the best moment is when Young Jae opens a velvet box revealing a necklace with a diamond, it matches with my wedding ring.

                I never fond of expensive thing like jewelry but showering me with Young Jae’s attention is more than enough. I could say this year is the best birthday ever. And the highest honor will be on Young Jae for making this happened. I think I start liking Young Jae.

***

                By the end of the year, all of the remaining founder gathers to see the firm’s progress. Not to their liking we aren’t included in the best 100 of companies in the world anymore based on Fortune. I see sadness over my appa’s eyes and Mr. Shin’s eyes, also the rest of employees. But determination is seen in Young Jae’s eyes. He doesn’t give up and he never will.

                Since our anniversary and Young Jae’s birthday is when the snow storm comes, we spend the time together in the house. Savoring the bitter hot chocolate on the same couch this time, we take each other company. I hope the snow storm doesn’t stop until next week eventhough I know it will affect the firm’s stock in the market.

***

                In the middle of the year, another storm comes. When Young Jae comes home early while I’m preparing a dinner, he blankly says. “My appa has passed away,” my breath is also taken away as we head to the funeral. Young Jae doesn’t say anything except thanking his father’s friends when they are sorry for his lost. His mother in my arms, crying endlessly. It’s so sudden to see Young Jae in black suit now to honor his father’s death.

                But Young Jae doesn’t let one tear slips from his beautiful eyes.


 

Another Young Jae's fact actually, from previous chap (I forget to mention it) Starting is only halfway battle is Young Jae's motto~ Go Young Jae~! \(^0^)/