Chapter 1

Have Faith in Me

It was the first of October. The cool autumn breeze was whistling through the trees like a sweet melody. Leaves were falling and crumpling underneath people’s feet. Flowers that were in season were blooming, and flowers that were no longer able to live wilted slowly as their petals fall delicately onto the cold city ground. The greenery was now ironically orange and brown. It was always interesting to see autumn because everything looked so beautiful even though everything was dying.
He breathed in the air and sat down on a park bench in front of a red and yellow oak tree. The scenery was remarkable; a small lake that had maybe 10 ducks swimming around, feeding off of the bread that was thrown at them by the old ladies in the saggy pants and long scarves. There was not a care in the world for him – nothing at all.

 

His arms lifted up and stretched as high as they could, gently caressing the warm coloured leaves that were above him holding onto the branch for dear life. God, he thought, this is beautiful. A rise of happiness filled his body as he stood up and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his dark blue hoodie. Kicking the leaves in front of him, the corners of his lips tugged up into a tender smile. He spread his arms out as he felt the light gust of wind flow through each of his fingers. Nothing could ever feel as calm and as content as him right at that very moment.
He sighed a sigh – the type of sigh that was saying “everything is perfect” – and started making his way down the path. He didn’t know where the path was taking him, heck, this was the first time he’s been to a park since he was a little boy, but he was enjoying every second.

 

He walked a few more feet, eyes closed half as he took in everything around him, but he took a sudden halt. A large gust of wind blew out of nowhere and before he could take cover, something took his eyes instead. To his right sat a man, a pale skinned male with dusty blonde hair and a black coat that hugged his slim figure perfectly. He didn’t realise it, but he was unconsciously staring at the man seated down on a rusty and paint-cracked park bench. Instinctively, he took a few steps forward towards him; very slow steps, to say the least. These few steps took directly next to the man and when he realised, he immediately regretted it.
“,” he muttered to himself. The man flinched in response, which most definitely meant that he heard his mumble.

“Is someone here?”

To him, the mysterious man sounded like a lovely daydream – soft, clear but a bit husky, and oh how he liked the huskiness. But he was confused. Did the man not see him? He stepped a bit closer and waved his hand sluggishly in front of his eyes. No response.

“I know you’re here. Um, who are you?” The man spoke again, this time with a hint of anxiety in his voice. He knew he had to speak up but what should he say? What could he say? It was one thing being grasped by nature but another to be grasped by a complete stranger; a complete gorgeous stranger.

“I, uh, I didn’t mean to scare you. I, no my name is, um, Sehun, and I kind of just found myself walking around here, uh, around the bench that you’re, um, sitting on and um, I’m really sorry for startling you,” he breathed. He looked down for a second but looked up after hearing what sounded like a chuckle coming from the man.

“It’s okay, really. You sound nice.” The man was facing forward, completely still.
“Are you sure? You sounded pretty shocked in a way and I-“
“It’s fine. I mean it. Come,” he patted the spot next to him, his gaze still facing forward, “sit down. You must be tired from walking around the bench.”
Sehun breathed out a little laugh when he heard the playfulness in the man’s voice. “So, um, what’s your name?”
The man looked surprised and grinned, “How could I forget to introduce myself? My name is Luhan. I came here from China when I was young, hence the name.” He turned his head abruptly towards where Sehun was sitting.
“I’m guessing that you already realised,” Luhan smiled widely. It was a really bright, goofy smile.
 “Realised that you were Chinese?”
“No, silly; that I’m blind. It’s pretty obvious if you ask me.”

Luhan still had that goofy grin plastered on his face and Sehun stared at his face, taking in every feature. He noticed that his skin was naturally pale and smooth; his eyes were of a light blue tint and his dusty blonde hair was more on the wavy side.

“Uh, Sehun, are you still there?” Luhan asked, reaching his hand forward trying to make out if he was right. His palm rested on Sehun’s chest and a relieved sigh escaped his lips. “Oh thank goodness, I thought you left.”
Sehun was stunned at his response. “Would it be a bad thing if I left?”
“Of course it would be.”
“Really? How?”
“Because the only thing I know about you is your name, and it’s not even your full name.” He faced forward again, making it seem as if he was staring into the distance. “It’s quite hard making friends when you’re blind. You don’t really know what’s happening around you and you don’t even know what anything looks like. You’re just kind of there with the crowd.” His little goofy grin turned into a smile of gratitude. “But being blind helped me learn how to judge people by their personality and not by their looks. You’re lucky though.”
“How am I lucky?” He asked curiously.
Luhan turned his head towards Sehun again, “You don’t have to live with something you can’t get rid of.”

Hearing that statement made Sehun laugh and Luhan’s expression showed huge amounts of curiosity and confusion, “What’s so funny?” Luhan asked.
Sehun rested a hand on Luhan’s shoulder and rubbed the back of his neck blushingly, “What if I told you I had cancer?”

The dusty blonde haired boy gasped in response and placed a hand over his mouth, “Oh god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know-“

Sehun shook his head and chuckled lightly, “There’s nothing to be sorry for. I’ve been diagnosed with lung cancer ever since I was 15. The doctors say it’s good to be out in open spaces with lots of trees where the oxygen is fresher.” A soft smile was placed on Sehun’s lips just watching Luhan’s reaction. He didn’t expect himself to tell a stranger – a very attractive stranger that he knows the name of – about how he has cancer.

“Have you been through chemotherapy?” Luhan bit his lip sympathetically, making Sehun his own lips unintentionally.
Oh, his lips are really, really kissable, he thought to his self before responding, “I haven’t yet. Doctors say that there’s quite a fair chance that I will, but I just hope for the best.” A grin spread across Luhan’s face in response.

“That’s great. I’ll pray for you.” Luhan chuckled and placed his hands on his lap. “Can I be completely honest with you, Sehun?”
Although somewhat startled, he nodded, “Sure. What’s up?”
“You’re the first person that has actually talked to me properly in a long time, and I mean a long time,” Luhan shook his head and looked down. “A lot of people usually keep out of touch.”
“Why would they? You’re amazing!” The abrupt burst of words made both of them blush and Luhan smiled gently.
“Thank you, Sehun. You’re pretty amazing yourself too.” Luhan reached his hand out and hit Sehun light-heartedly on what he assumed was his arm but was actually his chin, causing Sehun to flinch as he laughed softly. “No really, you’re great! Being blind helped me learn how to judge people by how they speak.” Luhan stuck his tongue out and smiled with his lips pursed together.
“And how would you judge me?” Sehun asked with his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity.

 

“That you’re cute.”