☼☀☼

My Sunshine Fades.

The world stood still for just a moment, everything seemed to disintegrate in that split second he heard the words "terminal" leave the surgeon's lips. All at once, the lights were too bright and the noises too loud. Everything was amplified and he didn't want to believe a single thing. Chanyeol Kageyama, shook his head, recollected himself and looked at the tiny frame of his long term partner, Baekhyun. Baekhyun's eyes were wide open and glassy, he looked even more like a scrap of his former self as the cancer ate away at him. 
"How long do you think, Sir?" Chanyeol asked, his voice wavering. The surgeon sighed and wiped his glasses on his cloak. 
"I'm not quite sure," He glanced to Baekhyun briefly "It could be next week or next month, next year even. It is certain, unfortunately, that it will be within the next five years or so," 
The silence was heavy in the clinic and Chanyeol sighed, Baekhyun brushed his arm lightly, an attempt to reassure him. Chanyeol forced out a tense smile, he didn't want Baekhyun to worry about him. The surgeon stood up with a cough. "I'm very sorry about this news, I do understand that it is quite a lot of information to take in. We will be mailing you the costs and details as soon as possible," 

Chanyeol thanked him and helped Baekhyun walk out of the clinic, Baekhyun clinged to Chanyeol's arm as they made their way back to their car. Baekhyun suddenly stopped Chanyeol before he unlocked the door. 
"Baby? What is it?" Chanyeol asked softly and Baekhyun's lips quivered. He drew in a shaky breath.
"It's all my fault, Chanyeol." He said. Chanyeol looked at him before bringing him into a soft hug. Baekhyun buried his head into Chanyeol's chest as he sobbed silently. "You don't deserve me."
"No one deserves anyone, baby. But, I know for sure, that I deserve to be with you until..." Chanyeol swallowed and cupped his hand behind Baekhyun's head.
"Until the end," Baekhyun finished for him and Chanyeol nodded silently. Neither of them knew how long they stood there, clutching to each other in the hospital parking lot, they just knew that when ground was awash hues of gold and red that it was time to go home. 

 

The drive home was silent, only the occasional clicking of the indicator would penetrate  the still silence. It would resonate throughout the vehicle, a hint that what could've been said was lost within that moment.  Both of their minds were ablaze with fears, fears of loss and leaving, fears of being alone and fears of what the next morning sun could bring. The dusk turned into darkness when they finally arrived to their simple apartment on the outskirts of the town. The ritual proceeded as normal. Chanyeol would help Baekhyun's fragile frame up the complex flights of stairs as the elevator was broken as per usual, he would then make a cheap meal out of what they had left and leave the best for Baekhyun. And, finally, they would get back into their shared bed which was worn at all corners and hold each other until an anxious sleep would overcome them. Only the whirring of Baekhyun's CPAP machine and the invariable beeping of the heart monitor allowed Chanyeol to sleep with discontented ease.

 

The months passed with little change, some good, some bad. Some nights Baekhyun would wake up screaming and gasping for air, his eyes overflowing and Chanyeol rushing him to the emergency room but others they would lie together after a good meal and talk about all the stars in the universe and laugh. It was one particular night, the mid-spring breeze drifted through their splintered window that Baekhyun said something that Chanyeol could never forget, not even decades later. 
"I'm glad," He had said. Chanyeol looked at him from across the lounge room over his knees. 
"About?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun laughed, a hint of sadness crept into his voice and he looked out of the window. The breeze ruffled the thin regrowth of his hair and he picked at his nails. 
"I'm glad that I get to spend the rest of my life with you, Chanyeol." He whispered, it was a whisper so sincere and so soft, almost melodic. Chanyeol felt his eyes burn and he looked away. 
"I'm glad too,"

 

It was late afternoon when it happened. Winter was creeping around the corner and Baekhyun was worse than usual those days. He coughed more, cried more, and moved less. He was bedridden as usual that day, he refused another offer of soup from Chanyeol claiming he wasn't hungry. Chanyeol looked at him sadly and put the soup back into the pot, just in case for another time Baekhyun might say yes. He went back into the room and Baekhyun's eyes were drooping and glazed over.
"Chanyeol," He mumbled and looked up, "Come lie with me," 
Chanyeol crawled slowly onto the bed and cradled Baekhyun in his arms. He was lighter, again. They were silent for a while before Baekhyun managed to crack out a weak. "I love you," 
He looked blearily up at Chanyeol. That was when Chanyeol knew.
"I love you too," He said softly, brushing back Baekhyun's hair from his clammy forehead. "Is there anything I can do for you?"
Baekhyun was silent before uttering a breathy "Can you sing for me?" 
Chanyeol swallowed. "Okay, baby. It'll be our song," Baekhyun chuckled weakly and Chanyeol cracked a sad smile. He opened his mouth and began pouring out a rough melody.

"My sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away..
"

He paused briefly to register Baekhyun's face. His eyes were hooded and filled with such sadness that Chanyeol nearly couldn't find the strength to continue. Yet, he pressed on.

The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head, and I cried…
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine a-away.

Emotion began to get a better hold onto him, his words were breaking apart and Baekhyun was slowly closing his eyes. There wasn't much time.

I’ll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me to love another,
You’ll regret it all one day…
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You never know, dear, how much I lo-love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away..

A long beep drawled throughout the room and Chanyeol felt a weight heavier than the world settle onto his shoulders.  

Please don’t take my sunshine away…” 

 

The End