For Answers

Dream Detectives

There may have been motive, Minseok assumed, or the woman possibly wanted to ridicule him. He’d been scrutinized before by people who were skeptical about him. He knew those people, but would no longer let them hurt him. If Lee Boyoung was one of them and was testing him, this case was over.

“What are you really after?” Minseok accused.

“There was nothing wrong,” Jongdae tried to reason, “I didn’t sense anything.”

“Because there was nothing!” Minseok felt himself shake. The dream had been weird, not anything that had been described to Jongdae over the phone. The murderer hadn’t appeared. Boyoung hadn’t been chased.

“No!” Boyoung raised her voice, no longer sinking back into the couch.

Minseok stared her down. Jongdae quickly interfered before he could further accuse their client. “What happened? What was the dream about?”

“This was…” the woman began nervously, clearly afraid – but her emotions weren’t what Minseok could see or feel. Jongdae, though, seemed to be heavily sympathizing with her. Minseok wondered if it might have to do with the fact that Jongdae wanted to protect his own reputation, that he’d brought them to this woman who’d lied, because the two of them were known to be credible in their line of work.

“Please, explain yourself,” Jongdae encouraged while Minseok impatiently continued to stare. He swore that if this case was a bogus one, Jongdae would be in for a scolding.

“I haven’t had this dream for the longest time,” the woman breathed, her eyes frantic. “You have to believe me.”

Jongdae took Minseok’s arm, whispered, “Just give her a few minutes. It could have been leading up to a nightmare.”

“I don’t know why I’m having this dream now,” the woman shook her head, her eyes not yet ridden of panic. “Please believe me. I can’t remember what this dream is about. I only know I’ve dreamt it before and it doesn’t end up good.”

“For God’s sake, you think that explains something?” Minseok Jongdae. “While there are others lining up to be helped, we’re wasting time here!”

“That…that last scene,” the women interrupted, “I’m sure that was my sister and her boyfriend. I was angry, maybe because he was using our house as his own.”

Minseok her this time, pointing out, “You said you don’t remember what the dream is about.”

“But there are certain things I have distinct feelings about,” Boyoung tried then her eyes met Jongdae’s, as if pleading him. “Please, believe me. He was the first suspect in my sister’s murder.” Boyoung’s eyes watered. “I don’t know why you couldn’t see further. We can try again tomorrow or maybe even later…”

“I’ll call you later,” Jongdae promised and bowed again in apology for Minseok’s rudeness before dragging the older partner out.

Jongdae was all for good, but right now Minseok didn’t want to indulge further into the woman’s dream. He felt she was lying. She just wanted to make a fool of him or else there was no explanation about why he hadn’t been able to see any more of the dream. It just didn’t make sense!

Minseok threw his arm out of Jongdae’s grasp when they neared his car, “We’re done here.”

“Hyung!” Jongdae called out with emphasis. “Please.”

This time he stared deeply into his supposed-to-be younger brother’s eyes. “You said you felt nothing. There was no fear whatsoever. When you have a nightmare, that’s exactly what you feel. But, her dream was completely void of that! I walked from door to door, as if I was watching some movie!”

Jongdae stared at him with eyes wide, refusing to be defeated. “She was telling the truth! That dream scares her!”

“What about it scares her?” Minseok asked. “When I was in that dream I felt nothing.”

“I don’t know, how am I supposed to explain in her place?” Jongdae asked. “Maybe something happens later and I don’t know how you supposedly got kicked out…”

“Not supposedly,” Minseok hissed. “I was kicked out.”

Jongdae sighed with a nod, “Ok. Then let me rephrase that, I don’t know how you were kicked out, but her subconscious must have triggered something she didn’t want to let you see. Or maybe vice versa. Maybe you didn’t want to see something…”

“Me?!” Minseok repeated. “So you’re saying it was me that jumped out of her dream? That’s ridiculous! Does that make sense?!”

“Why are you so sensitive over this?” Jongdae became frustrated himself. Minseok stared at the contorted expression on his face that said he was withholding from blowing up with impatience. It was an exact mirror of his emotions, but they both were fighting for different odds.

Forcing himself to calm down, Minseok turned to stare at the small home Boyoung lived in with a friend. He didn’t want to admit that Jongdae may be right. Either Boyoung’s subconscious had ridden her dream of his presence or he’d jumped out on his own accord because he feared what was ahead.

No, that just didn’t make sense. Minseok quickly rejected the possibility. He was no longer afraid of nightmares. What would he have to fear?

Whatever it was, he would have to find out. The only way to do that was to go back into her dreams whether he wanted to or not. If Jongdae was so certain that she was telling the truth, that was the only solution. Minseok would do that.

“Call her to schedule another session,” Minseok ordered. “I want to go back into her dream as soon as possible.”

“Hyung…”

“I need to know why the dream is different from the one she shared with you,” Minseok didn’t turn to look at the younger. “I want answers and I’m not going to stop until I have it. I want more information on Lee Baeyoung's boyfriend and if he’s still around.”

“You said that’s not our line of work,” Jongdae reminded. “And we can’t reopen the case. We don’t do homicide.”

“We’re not reinvestigating,” Minseok corrected. “I want to know what they look like. Get Boyoung and her sister’s childhood pictures as well. I want copies of their headshots in our records.”

“Why?” Jongdae asked. “Did you see their faces in her dream?”

“No, I didn’t see them,” Minseok’s voice was low, quiet, and calm again. “It’s because I don’t know who I was seeing.”   

Turning away from Boyoung’s home he grabbed the handle of the car. “I’m going home. I want to rest.”

“As you should be,” Jongdae grumbled underneath his breath as he unlocked the car.

That night Minseok stayed away from his sleeping pills. He wanted a natural sleep, but it didn’t come to him. He lay awake in bed, staring at the lights blinking in the distance from his bedroom window. Giving up he walked out and into his kitchen for a cold glass of water. The lights were all off. Minseok didn’t like leaving them on. Wasted electricity and bills were high. As he stood by his window appreciating the night scenery of Seoul where car lights dominated the streets and business lights stole the shine from the stars, he thought about how he hated nighttime when he was younger.

Dreams had been a nuisance and slipping accidentally into Jongdae’s mind had irritated them both. Jongdae dreamed about girls sometimes and feeling like he was invading a best friend’s privacy was embarrassing. Minseok laughed underneath his breath, lifted the cool glass to his lips. And the nightmares that haunted him for a period of his life made him despise when the lights turned out.

Now he was ok with it. Would be ok with it. None of it would bother him now. Minseok had moved on from his family’s murder, from the horrible things he’d seen. He wanted to believe it.

He barely slept three hours when his phone began ranging deliriously as if a rooster was croning right outside his window. Without checking the display on his screen, he knew who the caller was.

Jongdae.

“What are you still doing!?” Jongdae screamed frantically into the receiver. “I have my blind date in an hour?! You need to get your over here!”

***

Minseok let out a groan through the other side of the line and then sighed. “You didn't tell me though.”

Jongdae sighed, exasperated. “I sent you a text yesterday night.”

Then the line went silent for a moment and another groan was heard, “Sorry... I must have knocked out before receiving it.”

“Err, whatever,” Jongdae said. “You know what? Just get ready, I'm going to pick you up right now so you better be ready when I get there! Get pretty, honey hyung!”

Without waiting for a response, the younger hung up. Checking himself in the mirror one last time after getting dressed in his outfit —a long-sleeved grey shirt neatly tucked in black slacks and a long dark-grey coat, combined with a black belt. A last touch up to his hair — which was styled and lifted a little to the side — and then he ran to the entrance, taking his keys and slipped into his black shoes.

He arrived at the older's building in twenty minutes, parked his car nearby and went to Minseok's department, knocking on his door. The latter opened his door and sighed, Jongdae smiled cheekily.

“First and last time you call me honey, I'll end you, Jongdae. End. You,” the male at the door glared before letting the younger in.

“Oopsie,” Jongdae sing-songed. Making himself comfortable on the minimalistic couch in Minseok's small living room. “Though that won't be possible today...” He caressed his jaw. “I'll be needing to call you honey or something as cheesy and ew as that.”

Minseok rolled his eyes while fixing and adjusting the collar of his black suit-shirt. Then he took his dark brown coat and looked at Jongdae. “Aren't we late, though?”

Jongdae smiled and shrugged before looking at the small clock Minseok had on his kitchen counter. “We've got twenty or fifteen minutes left, more or less.”

“Let's go, then,” Minseok walked to the front door, checking that he had everything he needed in hand, nodding to himself after confirming everything. The brunette looked at him amused and lifted his hand, stopping the shorter.

“Ah,” he started, fishing through one of his coat's pockets and taking out a small grey box, handing it to Minseok. “Wear these.”

The latter arched an eyebrow taking the small box and noticing it was a jewelry package. He opened it and frowned at the younger. “Jongdae...”

“Aw, come on, hyung,” the brunette leaned to the side, cocking his head and making a suffering face to Minseok. “Wear them, they're pretty. I was going to give them to you sooner or later so, why not now? Plus, they match with the ones I'm wearing now!” The younger insisted, tapping at his own ear, showing his own earrings — a small circle-shaped black crystal rock with small silver ones embedded at the sides and the center.

Minseok looked at the ones on the box, his own — the same design except they were square-shaped. He made a face and sighed but relented, nonetheless. Jongdae smiled, he damn knew that it was one of Minseok's weaknesses.

“Alright, alright,” the shorter said. “I'll be right back,” he shook his head while walking to his bedroom.

Two minutes in and Minseok came out again wearing the earrings from the box.

“They and you look awesome, hyung!” Jongdae chuckled with his thumbs up. “I made the perfect choice.”

Minseok's aura wavered delightfully and then remained serene after letting out a breath of exasperation; Jongdae was very amused with the display. The shorter waved his hand and walked towards the entrance once again.

“Let's just go now or else we'll be late for real,” he said, sighing.

Jongdae kept chuckling but followed.

They arrived with an elegant delay of five minutes. Jongdae walked in first, with Minseok attached to his back, holding his hand.

It was easy to find the girl since she was the only one sitting alone.

The pair walked in and Jongdae smiled sheepishly at the girl — petite, brunette, short and raven hair, small and pretty features; Jongdae felt sorry but couldn't help it. “Ms. Park Sunyoung?”

The girl lifted her gaze and bowed slightly, grinning at the sight of Jongdae. Then her smile faltered when she turned to Minseok and saw their intertwined hands. Jongdae pulled two chairs and sat down, pulling Minseok next to him. The latter bowed shyly and in an apologetic manner, and sat down; their hands never disentangling from each other.

She shifted in her seat and smiled awkwardly. “Uh...” She started. The brunette could sense her confusion and discomfort. “Am I in the wrong place or with the wrong date? Is... Uh... Is this even a date at all?”

Jongdae smiled and then sighed, getting ready for his act. The girl was really cute but his dad should know better than to be stubborn and keep messing with his son.

He looked at her apologetically. “Listen, Miss Park

“Oh, just Sunyoung it's okay, please,” she interrupted, smiling sheepishly.

“Okay,” Jongdae nodded and, for the first time, let go of Minseok's hand, crossing them in front of him. “Listen, Miss Sunyoung... I have talked a lot about this with my father. Countless of times, actually. But I guess I keep talking to the wall since he just doesn't understand. And I am really sorry with you and I apologize beforehand. But…uh...” He sighed again to add more effect. “As you can see,” he turned to Minseok and took his hand again, now setting them on top of the table for display. “I am not the least bit interested in girls at all. And I don't mean you are not pretty, but My heart just doesn't go to that side.”

Sighing again, he looked at her with pleading eyes. “I am very happy and so in love with my actual partner for the moment,” he then squeezed the older's hand for good measurement, glancing at him and smiling, so enamored. “My boyfriend, actually. I love him and we are happy.”

He finished it with a kiss on the back of Minseok's hands and another dreamy smile, sighing for the nth time. The latter got closer to him and directed another apologetic shy smile to the girl, nodding.

“I'm very sorry for this inconvenience, Miss Sunyoung, but I can't let him go easily. He's my one and only,” he leaned his head against Jongdae's shoulder, lovingly. Jongdae almost snorted, though, the older's aura told and sported all the contrary to those words. He kept smiling, though.

Jongdae was also very amused with the display of emotions the girl portrayed. She was so very confused and amused at the same time. Something was off and then she started chuckling, escalating to laughs and then cackled. Ah, , Jongdae grumbled to himself. She didn't eat anything of what they said. She knew beforehand that something like this was going to happen, how could he not have seen it? Damn.

But Jongdae knew better, though. They would have to go to plan B and level up their game. Minseok was so going to kill him and he could oh so feel it already, oh ohBut. Weren't the earrings worth it? He glanced at the older. No? Okay.

The brunette arched a brow and looked at the girl, confused. “Uhm... Excuse me?” he said.

Minseok frowned at her. “What is this about?” he sounded a little annoyed and Jongdae mentally high-fived him.

The girl wiped some imaginary tears from her eyes and stopped, turning at them, glancing seriously. “Your dad did say you would be putting on this act,” she chuckled again. “So,” she glanced at Minseok. “Your act was very well done. You get an eight out of ten. Now, with my most sincere apologies,” she looked intently at Jongdae now. “Can we now begin with this date, for real?” Her gaze was intense.

The brunette almost gulped, her aura was too strong, a very decisive woman or either very very desperate. Jongdae went for the latter, though. Her waving energy betrayed her.

Minseok cleared his throat and gripping onto the younger’s hand with more strength, interlaced their fingers. “Excuse me?” he sounded offended and by any point, he really was. As well as Jongdae.

The latter was getting kind of annoying and combined with Minseok, he feared he would get on his sassy and snarky side. He hoped the girl wasn't that stubborn or either he would feel sorry for her for real.

“I am sorry,” Jongdae started again. “I am not sure of what my father told you, but. This is not fake. We are not lying, Miss. This is serious. Real serious,” he remarked, frowning.

The girl's aura faltered but fought to remain firm. She crossed her arms and glared at them. “Then prove it,” she simply said.

“Prove it? In what way?” Minseok jumped. “Isn't it enough of what we've shown so far?” he then looked at Jongdae's eyes, lovingly, which in reality only covered the wish to murder Jongdae right then and there. The brunette gulped mentally.

“Well, I need more than the cheesy lines and the silly hand holding,” she said, still stubborn.

Jongdae sighed and looked at the older, begging forgiveness through his eyes. The latter didn't show any sign of dissatisfaction physically, but his aura was already digging daggers at Jongdae's entire existence.

“Alright, then what do you want?” the brunette said, playing fool.

“Kiss each other, of course! On the lips!” she demanded and Jongdae gulped, mentally, again. He tried to look composed on the outside. Minseok's wish to murder him and now even the girl too, was so very strong.

“Alright,” he said, sighing again and then leaned closer to Minseok's face. The latter closed his eyes tightly, cursing under his breath. Using his head as he turned to the side, Jongdae blocked the girl’s view of seeing the older's cursing.

“Sorry, hyung,” Jongdae murmured almost faintly before pressing his lips to Minseok's.

The kiss was quick but looked good enough, credible enough. When they pulled apart and looked at the girl, she looked like her eyes would pop out of their sockets, agape. She gasped and hurriedly covered .

“Oh my god,” she whispered.

The males in front of her cleared their throats and Jongdae smirked while the older gave her a small sheepish smile.

“So... Is that enough or do we need to right here so you can believe us?” Jongdae started, arching an eyebrow.

Minseok elbowed him, too rude, Jongdae, but he didn't care; he was running out of patience. He just wanted to end with this as soon as possible; the older could kill him later. And then even more later, his father.

“Wow, that's really mean,” the girl started. “But I guess you can go. You were not my style since the beginning, anyway,” she smirked as she stood up. “But it was really fun watching your show, guys.”

She smiled really amused and Jongdae found himself feeling dumbfounded.

“What,” the brunette mouthed as he saw the girl walk to the main entrance. And then he smirked because he felt the last bit of the girl's aura spilling insecuritysignaling that the dare had been her counter attack with the last bit of her pride. But then the smirk faded as soon as it came because he then felt the dark and murderous aura of Minseok. He gulped.

Hyung! I swear I'll repay you, oh my god! I'm so sorry!” he begged as the lifted his hands in surrender and directed pleading eyes to Minseok's murderous ones.

The older lifted his fist and with gritted teeth, he snarled, “Kim ing Jongdae.”