The First Murder Case

Dream Detectives

***

Dropping the phone onto the empty space beside him he pulled the covers over his face. Eyes eventually closed for a few minutes before they opened again. Wide awake he pulled himself up, lazily shuffled his feet into his shiny kitchen to put the kettle on for some coffee. The instant coffee packs he bought from the café a few blocks down always served him well. Minseok didn’t plan to change his preferences anytime soon, even though Jongdae would tell him instant coffee couldn’t compared to real coffee. Real coffee, he had scoffed, what was real coffee?

By the time the kettle started boiling Jongdae arrived. Shuffling toward the heavy granite door he unlocked it. Without a greeting turned around. The young man followed. It was still morning, barely afternoon and they were at work again. Minseok was pondering over whether he should charge their clients more, then on the other hand, Jongdae wouldn’t agree. They did this for the good, not for monetary gain.

Jongdae was always on the righteous side. Well after all, he’d been raised by his father, a cop at that. That cop had pounded laws and rules into their head from young boys to teens and obedient adults, who’d taken the baton from him. Now it was their turn to protect the world – in their own way.

The wall size windows out-looked the busy metropolitan that was Seoul, their home base, headquarters, birth place. Traffic rampaged the streets. Tiny dots of human pedestrians overwhelmed the cracked sidewalks that the city hall delayed from correcting. It was a shame. All money went toward useless things like elections. He hated politics. All of it was just mind games. In this world, you couldn’t trust anyone.

Sunrays filtered into the apartment, making it appear lively if it weren’t for the fact that there were two exhausted, deadbeat guys in it. Walking toward the kitchen for the coffee that was to be their saviors.

“Coffee?” Minseok asked when Jongdae grabbed a seat at his shiny white table. It would always remain shiny and clear regardless of how much he didn’t clean it, because he rarely used it. The white lights from above danced on the tabletop Jongdae seemed immersed in. Minseok noted the heavy bags under his eyes.

“Sure.”

The new case could wait a few minutes. Allowing all the time he needed, Minseok swiftly and slowly moved for two white mugs and those instant packs of coffee. His partner in crime didn’t speak the whole minute and a half he took up preparing coffee. Minseok reasoned to himself that either the young man had fallen asleep, was too tired to start yapping, or there was something else to be considered.

Making way back to the table, Minseok placed the cups down, slid Jongdae’s toward him, and sat down.

“Speak,” Minseok began, “you don’t need me to tell you when to start. Lets get this over with.”

Majority of their jobs took up a day and a night to complete, usually no longer than that. Minseok was expecting just that. After they completed this assignment, he would become sleep’s baby.

“Lee Boyoung,” Jongdae began, wrapping hands gently around his mug as if to the warmth from it, “has been having nightmares.”

“Nightmares,” Minseok monotonously repeated with a raised brow, amused.

“Said they stopped a while back, but they’re recurring dreams now.” Jongdae continued, his voice strict, carrying the serious authority of work with it. “This is a murder case.”

The coffee burnt his tongue. Eyes shot up from the rim of his mug to peer at Jongdae. The word murder rang through his head like the school bell, reverberating off the thick walls, bouncing everywhere, echoing in his ears. Murder.

Murder wouldn’t agitate him in the slightest. Those nightmares were long gone for him. For just a few point-seconds, Minseok reminded him this was not the same.

“What about it?” Minseok wondered, though he knew why the younger partner was looking out for him.

“Are you sure we should take on this case? It’s a fragile one.”

“I haven’t even heard about it.” Minseok reminded, prodding his partner to indulge further into what the woman had told him.

Ignoring the coffee that almost spilt over the rim of the mug when the table deliriously shook as he slid his seat back, a deep frown contorted his tiny face. “This is the case of a murder! You know what the post-traumatic stress can do to a victim nonetheless a murderer himself. You had nightmares too, Minseok. You shook every night, you couldn’t even talk about it, still don’t talk about it. If you go into her dreams and see the same things, how much better will it be for you?”

Silence strung over them like light bulbs, bright and strong. The heavy scent of fresh coffee wafted up their nostrils while they bathed in silence.

“That was twenty years ago,” Minseok’s voice was frigid, but with a point he wanted to make. “You know I’ve gotten better.” Staring Jongdae in the eyes, he demanded, “What’s the case?”

A heavy sigh with the weight of the world belted out of Jongdae. “Nightmares about her sister’s murderer, but she can never see his face.”

“Is he still on the loose?” Minseok’s voice was steady, but quiet. If he was, it would be the same as his family’s case.

“I’m thinking so,” Jongdae nodded. “We’re going to have to look into records before we meet her…”

“No,” cutting him off, he said, “lets meet her first.”

Now Jongdae’s eyes crossed again, his brows furrowed deeply down his face. The ferocity swirling in his irises spoke to Minseok about how reckless his decision was. However, Minseok paid it no heed.

“I say we look up records first. We need to know about the killer, the suspects in the case, all the statements from witnesses on record, the family background…”

“Jongdae,” Minseok spoke, his head slightly cocked to the side in observance of his friend, “we’re not in that line of work.”

“We’re still detectives,” Jongdae grounded.

“I lead,” Minseok pointed out, stood to his feet after downing his cup of coffee. “You have her address? Let's go. And if she wants to sleep, she will sleep.”

“Minseok!” Jongdae screamed after him as he headed towards the door promptly in the fresh slacks he had just slept in. Minseok was honestly looking forward to meeting this Lee Boyoung. This would be their first murder case. He was curious whether her nightmares would be the same as his.

He doubted it. 

***

Jongdae watched the older male put on his shoes and open the door. He himself stood up, defeated, and followed the retreating figure of his friend. Crappy coffee be damned.

He let out a groan and reached behind Minseok, following him on his heels. The latter turned at him with a serious face and lifted up his hand to the younger. Jongdae looked at it expressionless then intently at the shorter's face.

“Your work-phone,” Minseok demanded.

“Minseok, no.” He started, tone harsh. “We are professional adults and when a case like this is presented, we need to follow the process required.”

Minseok stopped on his tracks and looked at him with as well hard eyes, hand still held up. “I said that is not our line of work, Jongdae. Hand me the phone.”

“It is! We are detectives, Minseok. It's not only about the dreams! We do investigations non-dream related and even work with the police!” the brunette insisted, his patience wearing off. He only hated these occasions in which Minseok was way too stubborn for his own good. “You don't even know how to start with the case. We need to do research so we know what kind of stuff we’re dealing with and what we are going to be in front of! You need to be careful with this. Hyung.” His voice softened a little. “Don't step into an unknown field with blind eyes!”

The older male let out an exasperated sigh, letting his hand down. “Jongdae—” he tried again only to be interrupted.

Hyung!” Jongdae insisted again, with pleading eyes; sensing Minseok's own uncertainty and waving aura. Is it that fear? “Stop with the facade, you know you can't hide from me. You are as uncertain as I am. You're in doubt and you know it, yet you are just so ing damn stubborn. You can't lie to me and act this bold. I'm telling you; this is for your own good.”

The younger held Minseok's gaze until the latter retreated, dropping his own gaze, now being the one defeated. Jongdae could see it, as clear as water. Who was Minseok mocking? It was all written in all of his being, empath's abilities or not-empath's abilities.

He then felt his friend's aura back down and disperse from all the tension it had built up. The emotions of doubt and hesitation now even clearer.

Minseok sighed and directed a tired look at Jongdae. “All right.”

And the younger smiled contentedly.

When they arrived to their police department, they went directly to the office of the head attorney. Jongdae had dialed the client on their way, seeking for names, dates and locations —Minseok had taken the phone off Jongdae's hand and affirmed the woman that they were taking her case and were going to help her at all costs—. 

“Welcome, detectives,” the man behind the big desk greeted as soon as the two stepped into his office. “To what do I owe the pleasure?” said man smiled smugly.

Jongdae and Minseok bowed and walked to stand in front of the man's desk.

“We need the documents of a murder case from February of last year --” started Jongdae with a firm tone. “The victim was a twenty-six years old, Lee Baeyoung. It is alleged that the murderer was someone really close to her, yet the criminal had fled and the case has been unresolved and on idle since then.”

The man hummed and contemplated the request and the bits of information Jongdae supplied. “What do you need the document's case for? Are you re-opening?”

The brunette tensed and was about to deny and explain the situation when Minseok jumped in, speaking for him.

“Not yet,” Minseok started. His voice was straight and strong, but the younger could see his aura shake; nervousness. Jongdae eyed him warily. “We want to analyze the case since there's another one similar presented to us. Colleagues mentioned this case pretty much related to the one of Ms. Lee Baeyoung and we want to support our case with the records.”

“Purely research,” supplied Jongdae. Minseok's aura wavered upwards a little; thank you.

Jongdae observed as the elderly man in front of them thought and mediated the situation. The brunette smiled in his mind to himself because his aura seemed to deem acceptance.

After a few moments of thinking over the request, the man allowed them to proceed. “All right, then. The documents are in the records section. I will command for one of the agents in charge there to supply you and help you with anything you need. Though, the archives must not get out of the department itself. You know, safety politics and prevention rules.”

Well, that was quite easy, Jongdae thought as the two young males nodded eagerly and thanked the man, bowing and leaving the office. They were led to said section of the department and started they research. 

Searching and finding the documents wasn't that difficult since the case was considered recent and their department was pretty famous for not leaving many cases unresolved, unfinished.

They had taken all the papers to their own office and started studying all the case since point zero. The crime had happened inside the house of the victim; they had found her all beaten up and with various scratches all over her body. She also had a particular long and deep cut at the side of her neck and her position obliged her hair to drain in her own blood.

Jongdae inspected the pictures and felt the heavy energy and all the pain the girl felt. He tried his best to hold everything in so he could keep analyzing the pictures.

“Psychopaths nowadays are more than out of their minds,” he commented with a shuddering breath.

Minseok lifted his eyes from the papers he himself was reading and looked at the younger. Jongdae could sense his discomfort and his aura vibrated in a weird manner that meant the mixture of tension, uncertainty, pain, a bit of fear and a strong sense of determination all at once. He ‘tsked’ in his mind, he knew that only Minseok could portray such contradicting emotions altogether.

The latter shrugged and replied simply, “You, yourself, said it; they're not meant to be in their right minds.”

Jongdae snorted and continued observing and analyzing the pictures. He could somewhat feel the dark and dense energy of the assassin mixed with the horrible feeling of pain, horror and desperation of the victim.

“I think I can do it,” Minseok said with determination. Jongdae knew better than that, though, but didn't say anything. “Let's set an appointment with the client for tomorrow and see what this is all about.”

The brunette rolled his eyes but sighed in rendition. They'd accepted the job already so there was no case in trying to back up or convince Minseok. Also, the older's aura screamed for his approval and support; he needed Jongdae's faith in him. And the younger had it, really but he also cared for him and his sacred sanity. He just knew how hard the man in front of him had had it.

“All right, all right. I'm calling her,” he replied with his hands fumbling inside his pockets to fish the correct phone.

Minseok smiled when the other started dialing their client.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Lee. It is Detective Chen, again.” Jongdae started as soon as the woman answered. “We’re call you to reaffirm you that we’re taking your case and want to set an appointment for tomorrow evening. Is that okay with you or do you need it to be another day or time?”

“Oh, yes. Tomorrow evening it's totally fine! Thank you so much once again, detective.” The woman replied.

“Perfect!” Jongdae replied with his trade joyful yet professional voice. “Is it 7PM alright with you?”

“Yes, it's okay.”

“Okay then, 7PM tomorrow.”

A few last lines of directions, addresses and farewells were exchanged before Jongdae hung up.

“Done,” he said after putting the phone back in his pocket.

“Good,” the older replied, still reading some papers before placing them on the pile he'd already read.

Jongdae piled his papers too and accommodated them before standing up and stretching.

Without giving Minseok a look and flexing his neck, he spoke, “Let's go grab something to eat, those sandwiches weren't a big of a meal and your aura poking at me with that devouring hunger is annoying me a lot.”

Minseok snorted but smiled, looking at his friend. “You're so dumb. But yeah, let's go, I'm starving. Today is on you, though.”

The brunette eyed him and rolled his eyes, but surrendered. “Your word is my command, my lord,” he said and bowed playfully.

Minseok shook his head and slapped him on the head. “Idiot.”

Jongdae rubbed his abused head and laughed out loud.