THE FIRST MEETING

The Reason

I.

The solemnity of a peaceful evening was disturbed by a loud ringing of the tanned woman’s phone, making her grunt as she pushed away her blanket. She stirred to her right, reached for her phone, sighed as she reads the caller ID, and answered it on the fourth ring.

“How dare you ruin my sleep, you vertically challenged woman?” Yuri answered with an irritated, husky, sleepy voice.

 

“Hello to you, too, Yul.” Taeyeon said at the other line, ignoring the irritated tone of the tanned girl she’s talking to. “I didn’t know you have your own revision on answering phone calls and I must say, It kinda hurts.”

Yuri rubs her eyes in frustration.

 

“What do you want, Kim? It’s still 6 AM for Pete’s sake. Don’t you know that you’re messing up with a busy person’s schedule?”

 

“I wanna tell you something and I don’t care about your schedule. Everybody has schedules.”

 

“I’m surprised you did an effort to wake up extra early today just to talk to me. You miss me that much?”

 

“Don’t be so cocky, Yul.” Taeyeon said. “Well, if the news was still haven’t gotten into your e-mail that Im gonna get married with your cousin, then I’m here to remind the ever busiest person in our gang that we have a meeting today after lunch.”

 

“What does it have to do with me? I already agreed that I’ll be there in your wedding. Isn’t that enough?”

 

“You’re part of the gang, stupid. And also, my fiancé-who happens to be your cousin-would want you to come, given the situation that we didn’t saw you after our graduation. We can only reach you using technology that sometimes we’re thinking you’ve transformed into a robot.”

 

“If you’re asking me to come this—“

 

“Who said I’m asking you?” Taeyeon said, cutting-off her sentence. “I’m not asking you to come, stupid. I ORDER YOU TO COME. AND IF, YURI. IF I WILL NOT SEE YOUR FACE AT THE MEETING LATER, BETTER NOT  DARE TO SEE ME AGAIN OR ELSE I’LL REMOVE THAT PRECIOUS FACE OF YOURS! YOU KNOW WHAT I CAN DO, KWON.”

Yuri needs to put her phone away from her ears or else she’ll end up deaf on how loud Taeyeon is at the other line.

 

“Alright, geez. No need to shout.”

 

“I’m just putting some sense on you, Kwon. Well, anyways Tiffany is already awake . . . So see you, later.”

 

“Yep. Sure. What else I’m going to do.”

And with a sigh, Yuri hanged up.

 

“This is going to be a one heck of a long summer.” Yuri mutters before she gets up on her bed and turned to her bathroom to shower.

//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-///-//-//-/-//-//

 

She came out from her apartment wearing her brown trench coat, a Chanel bag, a pair of Hermes stilletos, accompanied by her dashing red lipstick, well drawn eyes and her raven locks were freely flowing beneath her shoulders.She then got in to her car and started to drive along the highway. Taeyeon’s house is just twenty minutes away from hers so she didn’t have to speed up wether to make it before lunch or not. Taking her time, she dialed her secretary’s phone and put it on free hand to give her some instructions.

“Hello?”

 

“Seo-.. ?” She then paused as she took a glimpse at her phone to check if she dialed the right number. It’s still her secretary’s number but why is her voice different? This is not Seohyun’s voice and she don’t answer her phone like this with Yuri. “Who’s this?”

“Oh, Unnie! Is this you? HELLO UNNIEEE!! GOOD MORNING!” Said the girl over the phone.

 

“Unnie? When did I—“ And sudden realization hits Yuri as she recognized the voice. “YOONA?!”

 

“Uhh.. Yeah...? Why do you sound surprised?”

 

Yuri was really surprised. Well, she knows Yoona has a big crush on her secretary and the younger Kwon was looking out for Seohyun for quite a long time now. But knowing how choding and erted her sister is, and her secretary’s pure innocence, the idea itself is just screaming chaos.

“YOONA. TELL ME YOU’RE AT THE OFFICE OR ELSE ILL BEAT THE SH!T OUT OF YOU WHEN I SEE YOU.”

 

“Im..uhmm.. Im not.” Yoona whispered.

 

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING AT SEOHYUN’S PLACE?!” Yuri shrieked inside her car. “DID YOU SLEPT WITH HER?! DID SOMETHING..DID SOMETHING..UHH.. DID YOU DO IT?! YOONA ANSWER ME!”

 

“Aissh. Lower your voice, unnie. I didn’t slept here, okay? If you don’t believe me, ask Mom. Wow. Clean your erted mind, Unnie. Im here to bring her breakfast. Is that bad?”

 

“Why did you answered the phone then?”

 

“I was watching her sleep when you called and I don’t want to ruin her peaceful sleep so I answered it.”

 

“You’re creepy.”

 

“For a busy person who don’t have a lovelife, im quite amused to hear that from you.”

 

“Wake Seohyun up before I kill you for saying that, you brat.”

 

“Damn, Unnie. She’s still sleeping. Give this girl a break, besides work hours starts by 9am it’s still 7:30.”

 

Yoona has a point. But that is part of being a secretary, right? It’s the boss’ schedule for Pete’s sake.

 

“Yoong? Who’s that?” Seohyun’s voice was heard over the phone.

 

Yoong? So they’re in a nickname basis now? Yuri scoffed at the thought.

 

“Oh, nothing. It’s just my sister. Go back to sleep.”

 

“Oh..Okay…” There was a short pause and then, “OH MY GOD!! YOONA!! GIVE ME MY PHONE!!”

Seohyun was obviously in panic.

 

“G-Good Mor-Good Morning, Ms.Kwon. W-What.. What can I do for you?” Seohyun stuttered.

 

“Seohyun.” Yuri said in a flat voice. “Im surprised you’re still asleep at this hour.”

 

“Oh, God…I-I’m sorry for that, Ms. President. Yoona wasn’t..I mean…I..uhm.. Sorry.. we didn’t.. uhm no. uhm.. s-sorry for that..I-I—“

 

“Calm down, Seohyun..” Yuri ordered, smiling to herself. “I just called to tell you to send me my schedules via email by 9am.”

 

“Oh. Okay, Ms. President. What else, boss?”

 

“Hmm. Am I fully booked for today?”

 

“Oh, uhmm.. Give me a minute, Ms. President.” Seohyun said as she rushed to check her tablet. “Uhm, Im afraid not, Ms. President. You only have one meeting today and that is..oh it’s an appointment to Ms. Kim Taeyeon from The Twenty-seven Airlines.”

 

“hmm. Okay.” Yuri then nodded as she parked her car at Taeyeon’s apartment’s parking lot.

 

“Is there more I can do for you, Ms. Kwon?”

 

“Actually, you have.”

 

“What is it, Ms. President?”

 

Yuri then smirked.

 

“I know what’s going on with you and my sister and I don’t have problems with that, so I order you to not say YES to that girl yet, okay? Let that spoiled brat learn what is what, got me? Let her change for the better. Am I clear?”

 

“uh..uhmm… Y-Yes, Ms. President.”

 

“Good.” Yuri said. “And hey, one more thing.”

 

“Yes, Ms. President?”

 

“You can go out with her today, take your time to know her better. I’ll just call you when I need something. Take care of my sister, Seohyun-ah. She likes you.. A LOT.”

 

Yuri then hanged-up her phone with a smile plastered in her face, little did she know that her secretary was blushing at the other end of the line with what her boss just told her. Well, Seohyun knows that her boss’ younger sister has keeping her eyes on her with a hint of want in them but Seohyun shrugs it off because she’s not sure of her feelings either, she likes it when Yoona’s around and she’ll be out of her mood if not. She was in a confusion stage cause the latter just keeps on dropping hints and it’s frustrating her, but her boss’ statement just confirmed it.

 

“Juhyun…?” Yoona asked as she saw the woman spacing out while looking at her. “uhmm.. are you okay?”

 

Yoona’s voice kind of startled the girl so she was left with a stuttering Seohyun.

 

“I-I’m okay. Ha ha. I-I’m m-more than okay. I-I’ll j-just shower at the b-bathroom. Bye.” The girl then rushed to get out of Yoona’s sight with a loud bang of the door.

 

Yoona was left dumbfounded and smiled a little.

 

“So cute.” She muttered and took her phone to text her sister.

 

[To: CEO_Unnie

What did you say to seohyun?]

 

//-//-//-//

Yuri arrived at Taeyeon’s place and found the two love birds busy cuddling at the sofa.

“Hey,” Yuri greeted but Taeyeon and Tiffany were busy on their own world that they didn’t notice the tanned girl’s existence.

 

“Hey I’m here!!” Yuri said as she knocked the mini table in front of the sofa, making the couple turned to face her.

 

Geez, if some robber or serial killer decides to break in here, surely these two wouldn’t notice. Yuri thought. At least though, they’ll die on their lover’s arms

 

“Yuwreeee~! You made it!” Tiffany said and she smiled with those crescent eyes that Taeyeon has fallen for.

 

“Of course, how can't I go? Someone threatened me this morning.” Yuri said as she shot a look on Taeyeon.

 

“Awww.. You did it, honey? You really asked Yuri to come?” Tiffany asked Taeyeon.

 

“Well, ask is not the proper term you should u—“

 

Yuri tries to reason out but Taeyeon cuts her off again.

 

“YES!” Taeyeon blurted out. “I asked her… NICELY.”

 

And with the deathly glares that Taeyeon is giving to Yuri, the tanned girl raised her hands as if in surrender.

 

“Yep. You asked me. Nicely.” Yuri said sarcastically before walking away from the two.

 

“I’ll be on the kitchen.”

 

“Welcome home, couz.” Tiffany said.

--=--=--=--

Arriving at the kitchen, she then found Sooyoung making her own food at the kitchen counter. By the sight of the scattered things around the kitchen’s bar, Yuri knew Sooyoung is still her shikshin best friend.

 

“Why am I not surprised to see you here at the kitchen, Soo?” She smiled.

 

“Hey, Yul!” Sooyoung greeted as she took a mouthful of bite of her bread. “gooyumeditasdsdhg!!”

 

“What?”

 

Sooyoung swallowed the food in before saying it again.

 

 “I said, good you made it to come here.”

 

“Well, Taeyeon threatened me this morning.” Yuri said as she pours a juice on her glass.

 

“Oh dear God, you too? Taengoo did that to you, too?”

 

“Guess, I’m not the only one, huh?” The tan girl smirked as she took a sip to her drink.

 

“Aiiissshh, that woman.” Sooyoung said frustratingly. “What did she say?”

 

“Well, she said about if I don’t come, I shouldn’t bother to see her again or else she’ll remove my face . . .  something like that… I can say, that’s quite threatening.”

 

“You call that threatening? Wait until you hear what she said to me.”

 

“And that is?”

 

“She said, if I will not come, she’ll make sure that she’ll get all of my foods and she’ll do everything just to ban me on buffet places and restaurants and she’ll really make sure that I’ll starve to death.”

 

Yuri could only smile on how ridiculous Sooyoung having that scared look on her face.

 

“Don’t smile at me, Kwon. Just by thinking of that scares the sh!t out of me.”

 

“yeah.. Obviously it is, Soo. Guess, Taeng is still the violent school president we know back in college, huh. And you’re still that shikshin.” Yuri teased.

 

“Excuse me, lemme correct it, I’m still the shikshin that everybody loves. And you’re still the known Kwon Yuri who is cold, distant, vampire-like creature-except you have a tanned skin not white- who everybody undyingly chases and yet still single.”

 

Yuri glares at her best friend. Why does she have to emphasize that she’s still single?

 

“And that made me think, Yul.”

 

“Oh, you’re thinking? Wow. It feels like I don’t know you.” Yuri teased with a sarcastic voice.

 

“Shut up. Anyways, that made me think, why are you still single? Haven’t seen that someone special yet?”

 

“I’m busy with work, Soo. You already know that.” Yuri turned to face the fridge and pretend she’s looking for something to eat when the truth is, she’s still full with the juice she sipped earlier ago.

 

And but of course Sooyoung would know that she’s only making that reason up. That has been Yuri’s mantra every time she’s asking why Yuri is still living only with herself up until now.

 

“That’s not a good excuse, dude. Everybody is busy with work and yet, some people have their partners. Look at Taeyeon and Tiffany, Taeng works here and there while Tiffany works abroad. They belong to the people who are like you... Who are busy as hell professionals but still, here they are, already preparing their happy ever after. And for instance, Sunny and Henry; although she and her husband don’t belong to those first class busy people, they still manage to have time with each other. Look at them. Distance, time and family are obviously not on their side but hey check this out, Sunny is now eight months pregnant.”

 

“Really? Sunny is pregnant?” Yuri said, shocked. “Wow. I didn’t noticed. Is that why she’s wearing those kinds of dresses?”

 

“Uh-huh. Remember that day she and Henry flew to America? Well, we visited some experts, she’ve gone into some procedures and there, our Sunny bunny will be having a baby bunny hopping behind her soon.” Sooyoung said proudly.

 

“Wow.” Yuri said as she sips her glass of juice, thinking how high-tech the technology is nowadays. “Congratulations, Sunny. Wow..That’s just.. WOW.”

 

“Yeah, Wow.” Sooyoung repeated what Yuri said. “So what’s your excuse, Yul?”

 

“Excuse where?”

 

Sooyoung sighed. “Excuse for being single.”

 

“I told you a million times, Soo. I’m busy with work. I don’t have time for that.”

 

“Busy people have always the time for everything.” Sooyoung said as she tried to reason out with her best friend but she sighed exasperatingly when Yuri didn’t respond.

 

 “Fine, I’ll buy that one. But one day, Yul, I swear you’ll find that someone special and you’ll stop giving me that reason.” Sooyoung then grabbed her sandwich, winked at Yuri and marched out from the kitchen.

 

“psssshhh.. Someone special, my .” Yuri muttered under her breath.

//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//-//

 

“So here’s the plan,” Tiffany started as they gathered around the table in their garden. “The preparation will be 4 weeks long.two weeks for planning, one week for the engagement party, engagement party, and last touch of preparation for the last week.”

 

“FOUR WEEKS?!” Yuri said in shock. “Who the hell prepares a wedding that long?”

 

“Obviously, it’s us, stupid.” Taeyeon said. “So shut your mouth. That’s what Tiffany wants.”

 

“Fany-yah.. I have schedules, too.” Yuri whines, ignoring the latter.

 

“Don’t worry Yuri.” Tiffany said in assurance. “I’ve considered you already. Well, if you have your schedule the day we have schedule for the wedding preps, well, you can go to your schedule first but be sure you can come later after that.”

 

“Have you heard that, stupid? Calm yourself.”

 

Yuri then glares at Taeyeon. “Stop calling me stupid. Tiffany is my cousin just so you know.”

 

“You’re threatening the future wife of your cousin? Well, good luck with that.”

 

But before Yuri could snap back atTaeyeon, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon arrived at their so called meeting. Along with them is a girl who everybody got exited about.

The woman was wearing a sophisticated outfit which Yuri assumes, came from Forever 21. Her long chocolate blond locks were freely flowing to both her shoulders, a pair of eyes which covered by a sunglass, nose that is actually attractive and a luscious pink lips that forms a smile.

Tiffany and Taeyeon stood up to greet the girl.

 

“GUYS, I MADE IT!!!” The girl squeals at them happily.

 

And don’t forget her angelic voice. Yuri thought.

 

“JESSICA-yah!!”

 

Looking at the girl who’s now strangled around her friend’s hugs, Yuri didn’t notice that Sunny was now sitting beside her, sipping the juice at the table.

“How you’ve been, Yul?” Sunny asked.

 

“I’m good, Sunny. Thanks.” Yuri smiled. “Heard you’re pregnant, huh?”

 

“Yep. Guess you’re too busy to know this huh?  Eight months.” Sunny said as she turns to look at her bloated tummy to the guy who was trailing behind the new girl carrying her belongings. “With Henry.”

 

And by Sunny’s smile while looking at her husband, it’s obvious that she’s happy with her life. This made Yuri jealous. Not in a bad way, of course. Yuri wished she could smile like that knowing someone could make her smile that way.

 

So lovingly, so effortlessly.

 

“Excited?”

 

“So much, Yul, only if you knew. We’re already making her room in our house.”

 

“Oh? It’s a bouncing baby girl?”

 

“Yep. But he is dead sure that our first child is a boy. Just so you know, he never had gone to one of my regular check-ups and ultrasounds so he didn’t know. We often pick a fight about our baby’s gender. Geez, if only you see him how sensitive when it comes that. He would be easily flared up.”

 

Sunny then threw a fit of giggles.

 

“He’s so cute when he flares up in anger. “

 

Yuri looked at her amusingly.

 

“What if she still turns out to be a she? What do you think Henry would do?”

 

“I’m sure he will still love her.” Sunny then carresed her tummy. “He’s still the father of this child. He would still love her, I’m sure.”

Of course she would. Yuri thought. Knowing Henry really loves little kids.

 

“Who would’ve thought that the guy who annoyed the living crap out of you back in college will be the father of your child, huh?”

 

“Thanks to that one night we got drunk and made the mistake I don’t mind repeating.” Sunny then giggled. “If that mistake means I have to spend my forever with him, then I’m really grateful that happened.”

 

“Do you still think it’s a mistake?”

Sunny turned to Yuri and smiled, “In some way, yeah. We did that drunk and it’s before he proposed to me. I still believe that surrendering yourself is more decent if you did it on your honeymoon night, don’t you think?”

 

Yuri just nodded at her statement. Well, the important thing is Henry and Sunny are happy with their life as a married couple.

 

Meanwhile, the laughter of the girl and their friends made Yuri and Sunny look at their direction. There, they found Jessica laughing freely.

 

“Who is she?”

 

“That’s Jessica. Tiffany’s best friend.” Sunny said. “You haven’t met her last time?”

 

“Last time?” Yuri asked. “When’s that last time?”

 

Sunny looked at Yuri for a moment.

 

“Ohh. She was with us when you were at States. When the couple called to announce their wedding, Jessica came here to visit.”

 

Sunny turned to see Jessica and Yuri followed, too. They both saw Jessica waved at them and smiled.

 

Sunny waved back at the girl but Yuri remained her cold, stoic façade.

 

“I’m sure you’ll like her, too.” Sunny smiled at Yuri. “She may sometimes look cold and distant like you,but trust me, she’s a pocketful of sunshine. That’s her charm.”

Yuri looked at the girl again and saw her took off her glasses. Their eyes met and smiled at her politely. Yuri swore she was captured and drawn by how mesmerizing her eyes are when smiling.

 

Oh My God. Yuri thought.

//-//-//-//-//-//-//

 

The day was coming to an end once again. The sun which was risen from the east is now setting It’s place to the west, allowing the wide sky to form a hue of pink, purple, and red. It was almost dusk, for short. Yuri was found at the balcony, holding a cup of warm chocolate. She’s really not a fan for a drink like this but she liked it, nonetheless. She’s usually seen with a cup of strong black coffee or a glass of wine while she’s taking a break from doing her loads of work. She let this day pass to have strong drinks. She wanted to taste and feel again the warmth of smooth, milky chocolate that used to travel along before she met coffees and alcoholic drinks. As she took her third sip, it somehows reminded of her childhood, maybe because her mother usually made her one especially if she finds her daughter busy studying at her room at this hour.

 

“My daughter is so studious, she never have the time to be with me.” Her mother would sweetly teases as she tried to coo her first born. Yuri was still on her third grade and yet the kid would lock up to her bedroom and study.

 

And by that, Yuri would usually stop doing her schoolworks and look at her mom with a baby, dorky grin.

 

“Moooooooo~m,” Yuri would turn to her side and casually give her mom a peck on her cheek. “Is Yoona asleep? Have she eaten?”

 

“And here I was, thinking we would talk about you and me, have a mother-daughter bonding time atleast, but I guess I was wrong.” Her mother added, still teasing. “I’m convinced that Im just one of your employees reporting for my duties. Talk about being a future CEO.”

 

“Mooooom, stop saying that.” Yuri would sip her choco and would lean to her mother’s side. “I just wanted to be the best sister for Yoongie.”

 

“Im just kidding, sweetie.” Her mother said as she kissed Yuri’s hair. “My future CEO. Guess you’re following the footsteps of Daddy, huh?”

 

And because Yuri is still on her third grade and still doesn’t know what that means, she didn’t respond to her mother’s statement thus, she just smiled and kissed her mother’s cheek once again.

 

“Thanks for my chocolate, mom.”

 

“You’re very much welcome, sweetheart.”

Yuri smiled at the memory. How she misses her mother.

 

She sipped her drink once again and her vision caught a two running figures across the garden, hand in hand like a couple eloping and escaping from the cruel world. Looking at the figures carefully she saw her cousin and her soon-to-be-wife still running towards the wide wall. She smiled at the thought of Tiffany getting married. She can still recall the day she fetched Tiffany at the airport and even if she’s struggling with her korean, that didn’t stop her to tell Yuri about the girl she met at the airplane and considered as her “love at first sight” lover.

 

“You consider everyone nice to you as your love at first sight, Fany.” Yuri had said that day as she drove along the road.

 

“And yet she’s the one I see myself spending my lifetime with.”

 

The sincerity of Tiffany’s voice made Yuri shut . How can someone like Tiffany- who is a screaming flirt and a player, say those things like she really really means it? Oh, of course, Love at first sight. When love hits you so hard, you can move a mountain with your fingertips.

 

“What the…” Yuri muttered under her breath as she saw Taeyeon trying to reach the top of the wall, like an intruder or a robber who’s trying to escape the huge barricade. How ridiculous.

She was about to yell and reprimand those dorks at the distance when she heard a foreign voice beside her and made her look immediately at her right.

 

“Idiots.” Said the woman while looking at the couples. “They could use the front gate rather than making themselves look like a robber or a complete retards.”

Yuri stared at her-who was standing an arm length from her and when the woman turned to face her, Yuri felt her heart skipped a beat when she saw the woman gave her a small smile.

 

Oh my god. Yuri thought.

 

“Sorry, did I interrupt your moment alone?”

 

“uhhm.. A bit.” Yuri said. “But don’t mind it. How long have you been standing there?”

 

“Not long enough. I was looking for a bedroom but I ended up here at the balcony instead. Saw someone standing, so I took a peek and then those dorks caught my attention.” She said while pointing the couple at the distance with her chin.

 

“Are you going to sleep? At this hour? It’s almost evening.”

 

The girl nodded. “Jetlag.”

 

“Hmm. Right.” Yuri muttered as she took a sip of her drink. “Flights are tiring and jetlags more than anything else.”

 

“Tell me something I don’t know.” Jessica smiled at her again.

 

Yuri smiled, “Hmmm.. well, I assume you still don’t know my name, so I’m going to introduce myself, if I may?”

 

Jessica giggled. “It was just an expression but if you want, then go on.”

 

“Yuri.” The tan girl said, shifting the cup to her left hand and let her right hand empty to offer it to the woman beside her. “Kwon Yuri, President and CEO of Kwon Enterprises, Incorporated. Currently on leave because of my cousin’s wedding. Hi, nice to meet you, Miss…?”

 

The girl laughed with the latter’s cute and formal introduction. She then reached for Yuri’s hand .

 

“Jessica.” She shook their hands. “Jessica Jung, Registered nurse and working at my father’s hospital under Jung Medical Team, currently on leave,too, because of my best friend’s wedding. It’s nice to meet you, too, Yuri.”

 

“So I’ve heard.” Yuri said.“Ah, It’s good to meet someone from Mr. Jung’s team.”

 

“You know my dad?”

 

“Well, he’s one of my business partners in the field of medicines. And he’s the one who took care of my Mom when she gave birth to my younger sister.” Yuri then paused and took her liberty to sip another of her drink. “Yours is one of those prestigious hospitals here in Korea, I must say.”

 

“Thank you for saying that. I’ll let daddy know.”

 

“I heard you opened a new hospital in China?”

 

“Yes, and daddy appointed me to handle that one that’s why I’m mostly out there rather than stay here in Korea.”

 

“Must be hard, huh?”

 

“Hmmm.” The girl nodded cutely. “But it’s a family business so I must.”

 

Their silence was layered by Tiffany’s cackle across them as they saw the two couples were playing catch at the garden field.

 

“You were here the last time these dorks had a meet-up?” Yuri asked.

 

Jessica nodded. “It was unexpected, I panicked when Tiffany told me she’s getting married so I took a one week off with my duties just to visit here.”

 

“I see.” Yuri sipped again, making her cup empty.

 

“I hadn’t saw you here the last time.”

 

“Yeah, Im at work.” Yuri said. “I have to catch up with my younger sister’s expenses, you know. That kid belongs to high maintainance expenses.”

 

Jessica giggled at Yuri’s statement.

 

“Just like me with Krystal.”

 

“You have a younger sister, too?”

 

Jessica nodded. “ A high maintainance, too.”

 

“Welcome to the club.” Yuri raised her empty cup and made Jessica giggle.

 

Yuri was about to say something but then Jessica’s phone rang and the latter excused herself leaving Yuri at the balcony, smiling to herself.

 

A pocketful of sunshine, indeed. Yuri thought as she smiled to herself.

 

She felt her phone vibrated in her pocket so she fished it and saw Tiffany’s message to her.

 

[From: Fany

Wow gud 2 c ur smiling agen :) ]

 

Yuri frowned and looked at the girl smiling at her across the field, sitted under the tree with Taeyeon laying her head at the latter’s lap- Also throwing knowing smiles at her.

 

“Idiots.” Yuri muttered as she slightly shook her head, sipped her cup only to find out that it was already empty. “Eh? I emptied it already?”

Yuri frowned for a second and shrugged. “Might as well get me another one.”

 

//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//

 

Yuri and the rest of the girls including the married couple, Henry and Sunny, spent their night at Taeyeon’s house-thinking they could talk a lot more about their plans for the upcoming Kim-Hwang wedding but the night was spent with small food party at the living room and a little drinking with Hyoyeon, catching up with their lives.

 

“I really thought Taeyeon would end up being miserable and alone in life,” Sooyoung teased making the latter frown at her. “Cus c’mon, buddy, let’s be honest. Back in our college days you were too busy being the president of the student council. We never heard you having someone to have relationship with, even after we graduated.”

 

“Her walls are unbelievably unreachable.” Hyoyeon said. “Do you remember how many girls and guys pleaded and confessed their love for Taeyeon but still they hadn’t got a chance even just one glance?”

 

“I must say, Tiffany did a good job for breaking your walls.” Sunny said as she leans to her husband’s side. “Taeyeon only focused in her works. Having her attention is really something.”

 

Sunny’s statement made Tiffany smile at the woman beside her.

 

“Who wouldn’t notice Tiffany? She’s annoying.” Taeyeon said, teasing the latter.

 

“YAH!”

 

“Kidding,” Taeyeon then kissed her cheek.

 

“How did you two meet, by the way?” Hyoyeon asked. “Cause I was in Bangkok when Sunny called that the both of you are already dating.”

 

“I was back from LA, oh you know.. for work— ..” Taeyeon started.

 

“Ohhh~ Hardworking woman… Hot.” Tiffany then said at Taeyeon in a y way as she snuggled closer to her.

 

“Fany, please.” Taeyeon scoffed. “So I was from work, fresh from closing a deal with--..”

 

“I always find hardworking woman so y… and hot..Glad that my girlfriend is one. My y CEO.” The girl then leaned to kiss Taeyeon’s neck and trailing butterfly kisses up to her ear and whispered y nothings to the poor blushing woman beside her. Gone is the story, thanks for Tiffany’s flirtiness.

 

“Aiish, get a room will ya?” Hyoyeon said while looking at the couple in mock disgust. She then turned to the couple behind her, thinking she could ask Sunny what’s the plan for tomorrow, but then she saw the other couple also locked to their own bubble. “And the both of you,too. Please. Geez, if only I know that this night will be like this, might as well I got home and just come back tomorrow.” The blonde one said and opened a bottle of beer and started to drink.

 

“Are you seriously gonna finish all those beers, Hyo?” Sooyoung asked the latter.

“Who would? If you want to join me, then go ahead.”

 

When Yuri saw her friends having their own topics, she stood from her seat and decides to go to the kitchen and there she found Jessica by the counter.

“Is that hot chocolate I’m seeing you’re making?” Yuri asked as she leaned at the counter, making the latter halt her actions to look at her and smile.

 

“Yes, actually I’m also doing snacks for the girls outside.” Jessica said. “Do you want some?”

 

“I would love to. Sure.”

Jessica gave her yet another smile and turned to the cupboard to get another cup for her company and poured some hot chocolate and served it to Yuri.

 

“Thank you, Miss Jung.”

 

“Don’t mention it, Miss Kwon.”

 

A smile was plastered in their faces. Both stuck in comfortable silence.

 

“Your hot chocolate is delicious. Reminds me of my Mom.” Yuri said after she took a careful sip from her cup. “So is this what registered nurses do when they are off duties?”

 

“Hmmm.. I think so.” Jessica said. “Why aren’t you joining the girls outside?”

 

“I got bored, and not to mention the two couples are busy making out with each other at the living room and that makes me--..”

 

“A little envious,” The chocolate blonde woman smirked at her, teasing the other. “Am I right?”

 

Yuri was about to retort but then the oven alarmed, signaling Jessica that her cupcakes she was making are already done. With that, she turned to the appliance and carefully transferred the cupcakes to the plate. She then took another plate and put one chocolate cupcake and gave it to the woman who was silently watching her from the counter.

 

“I hope you’re a fan of chocolates.”

 

“Actually, I’m not,” Yuri grinned as she saw the sudden disappointment on the latter’s face. “But hey, trying your chocolate cupcake won’t hurt me, right?”

 

“Why would I even hurt you?” Jessica answered rather than ask as she hands her the spoon and eventually sat beside Yuri.

 

“I don’t know,” Yuri said as she took a bite from the cupcake. “People do that often.”

 

“Do what?”

 

“Hurting other people? It always comes down to that. Someone would promise to take care of your feelings and yet, the next thing you’ll know you’re already hurt and bleeding.” Yuri took a bite again, much enjoying the cupcake. “Someone would promise not to hurt the other but it would always comes down to false hopes and broken promises. Whatever the situation might be.”

 

“What made you say those things?”

 

“Based from my experience, maybe?” Yuri then shrugged. “Trusting someone not to hurt you takes time… I think? Just think of anesthesia. It gives you a promise that throughout the operation, you won’t feel any pain at all, promising that the operation wont hurt you, but the pain will come after it was finished. Same with people, somebody would promise you harmless, little did you know he’s already hurting you throughout the process. Of course you wouldn’t know this and you won’t feel any pain cause you hold on to that promise that he won’t hurt you. As a person, of course it’s normal. It’s a promise, after all. We all believe in promises. After, here would come the pain, because the promise would be broken. The ‘anesthesia’ was gone and the only thing that remains is the pain, and you have to endure that. Promises are sweet lies, indeed.”

 

Jessica remained silent for a moment, thinking how giving cupcakes can lead to promises, trust and hurting lecture.

 

“And I assume that experience have hurt you a lot?” She finally said after a moment of thinking. “You talk like you’ve been hurt so much. Must be the clients who turned you down, huh?”

 

Yuri smiled.“You could say that.” She then indulged herself to eating the cupcake. “Your cupcake’s delicious, by the way. A great partner for this hot choco.”

 

“Thank you.” Jessica smiled. “Glad you like it, albeit those ‘anesthesia’ talk.”

 

“Here,” The tan woman then took a slice and fed it to the girl—who took her time making one. “Yummy, isn’t it?”

 

“Hmmm…” She swallowed. “Not much. I think I hadn’t put enough salt to that.”

Yuri then shot a ridiculous look on the latter. “What do you mean not much? Are you kidding me? It’s delicious, you could leave your nursing duties and make your own bakery or something.”

 

Jessica laughed at her reaction. “That’s too much.”

 

“Here, try again.”

 

“Those cupcakes are for you, why are you feeding me?”

 

“A little reward for yourself is harmless.”

 

“But I made it--..”

 

“For us, yeah I get it.” Yuri said, cutting off Jessica’s sentence. “Just take this bite and you’re good to go.”

 

“A talker. Businesswoman, indeed.”

 

“Just eat it. My arms are getting tired.”

 

“And whiny.” Jessica then ate the slice from Yuri’s spoon and smiled as she saw the latter sighed beside her.

 

“This nurse is stubborn.” Yuri muttered.

 

“And that, I am.” Jessica said as she wiped the corner of Yuri’s lips, making the latter blush.

 

 

“I didn’t know there’s a feeding program going on in here.” Sooyoung said as she walked in inside the kitchen and saw the gesture shared by the two and smiled at them. “Can I have some,too?”

 

“Of course,” Jessica then stood up, took another cupcake and gave it to the tall woman. “Hope you like strawberries.”

 

“Oh, she likes all kinds of food. No need to say such things.” Yuri teased Sooyoung.

 

“Shut up, Kwon.”

 

“What are you doing here, by the way?”

 

“The two power couples have already left the living room, turned to their respective rooms—doing god knows what. While Hyoyeon is already passed out drunk. That blondie finished four bottles of beer and I have no one to talk to. I feel so lonely.”

 

“Go ahead and talk, I’ll just take a shower.” Jessic said as she excused herself from the two. “If you want some more of the cupcakes, just get it at the counter.”

 

“We will.” Sooyoung said.

 

After Jessica left the place, Sooyoung then stared at Yuri who is now drinking her warm chocolate calmly.

 

“Why are you staring at me, Soo?” Yuri then asked without looking at the latter.

 

“Remember what I said about your someone special?”

 

“Oh, not again, Sooyoung.” Yuri facepalmed herself.

 

“C’mon man. I’m just saying, maybe Jessica’s the one.”

 

“Stop it.”

 

“I can’t. I saw and heard your conversation earlier ago.”

 

“Nosy.” Yuri muttered.

 

“I rather call it, eavesdropping. But hey, to be honest, you two sound like you’ve known each other for a long time.”

 

“Go to sleep, Choi.”

 

“Aww,c’mon man. Atleast we can see you smiling again like we were in college.”

 

Yuri then frowned at her. “What do you mean? I always smile.”

 

“Yes, if you are in front of your clients, work-related things or when you really needed to. You never smiled like that, so effortlessly. The last time I saw your real smile was before we graduated at college. It was… well… before what happen with you and… Aish, don’t mind that one…well, after that, we haven’t seen you smile anymore, Dude. And then Jessica came along and here you are, smiling again like how you smile back then.”

 

“Stop being delusional.”

 

“I will, if you stop prisoning yourself from the possibilities to make you trust someone again.”

 

Yuri sighed and finished her chocolate. "Trust is hard to earn, Soo. Especially with me."

 

“I heard your ‘anesthesia’ talk with Jess, ok? And I know what happened and I think Jess won’t do that to you.”

 

“I can’t afford to risk myself and be hurt again.” Yuri stood up. “I’m going to sleep.”

 

Yuri then walked away from the latter, but halted her steps when she heard Sooyoung said:

 

“Well, atleast take a risk to know her better and if things don’t go just the way you like it, you could go back from your self imprisonment.”

++++++++++++++++++++====+++++++++++++++++++++

What do you think? lol

 

TO BE CONTINUED..