Maxime High 「 TEASER 02 」

Maxime High 「 REMORA 」
 
TEASER 02

Just The Beginning

All was peaceful at Maxime. Two days had passed since the excitement of the Summer Ball, and despite the circulating rumours concerning the arson on grounds, the main thing on everyone’s minds was summer vacation. Since the academic curriculum had ended and the Summer exams were over, everyone was spending their last moments at Maxime before the summer packing their things and looking forward to the freedom they’d have over the coming weeks. No early starts, no strict rules, no restricted uniform and all the time in the world to do whatever the pleased. The fact that an entire building had burned down over night and nobody was acknowledging it, let alone getting punished for it, was completely ignored.

Upstairs on the girls side of the dormitories, through the door with a worn Vulpes plaque, the room was empty save for the cases by respective beds and the pair of seniors gathering the last of their belongings. The last of the students were due to leave in just a couple of hours, with some having caught the early bus if their parents weren’t able to collect them. Folding the last of her things to pack away, Jooyeon scanned her eyes over her bed to make sure she hadn’t left anything behind.

“So,” She mused, tucking some of her stray hair behind her ear and looking up for a second. “Are you really going to stay with Jay this summer?” Her eyes fell on her best friend who was sitting with her legs folded in front of her on the lower bunk by the window. Inna’s face remained pretty pensive and unresponsive to the question as she shrugged.

“I guess so.” She replied nonchalantly, ignoring the look Jooyeon was giving her. “Not for the entire summer, though.”

“Well I hope he can release you long enough for you to visit me.” Jooyeon replied with a hint of something darker in her voice but Inna ignored it. “Can you pass me that shirt?” She changed the subject, knowing she was going to get no further talking about Inna’s boyfriend. “I am looking forward to never wearing this ugly thing again.” She sighed, pulling at the red, plaid material of her skirt. Before Inna replied, the sound of knuckles wrapping against the old wooden door halted their conversation.

“Did you guys hear?” Sunggyu leaned against the wooden framework of the door, not quite entering girl territory. He’d learnt his lesson in the past- once you get in, it’s hard to leave. Before you know it, you’re trapped in a talk of boys and makeup and underwear. Both girls looked up at him with that look that said well, what? “Apparently not everyone is going home today for vacation.”

“What are you talking about?” Jooyeon frowned.

“There’s some special summer programme set up, or at least that’s what people are saying.” He shrugged.

“Are you sure it’s not just someone’s idea of a joke?” Inna raised an eyebrow. She unfolded her legs and edged closer to the end of the bed to get a proper look at Sunggyu and make sure he was definitely not being serious. They were preparing to leave Maxime for good- and although it was bittersweet she was ready to go home.

“I thought so, but maybe it’s Summer School? I heard the end of year exams weren’t as high as they have been this year.” Sunggyu replied with a genuine look of bewilderment.

“That’s ridiculous.” Jooyeon scoffed. “They can’t suddenly decide to keep us here. It won’t involve us anyway, we’re out of this joint.” She grinned, excited at the prospect of leaving High School for good. Glancing out the window she smiled at her view of the grounds. She’d miss it, but it was time to leave.

Sunggyu looked like he was going to say something, but whatever it was, was swallowed by the sound of the intercom flickering on and everyone paused, ears pricked at the ready, awaiting an announcement.

All students are to assemble at the Cafeteria should their names be included on the list provided.

And with that, the announcement ended.

“What list?” Jooyeon and Inna were almost in sync with their gobsmacked question. Sunggyu took the hint and slipped out the door, clearly neither girl was moving to find out what list they were talking about.

“This is absurd.” Inna muttered. Jooyeon felt inclined to agree but-

“Guys,” Sunggyu reappeared at the door looking a little more flustered and perplexed than usual. “Our names are on this list.”

What?” The girls chorused. They weren’t the only ones in confusion. As other students began filing out from their dorms and up from the common rooms to check this mysterious list, more confused chatter and mumblings buzzed around the corridors. Jooyeon glanced at Inna who was looking back at her with an equally stunned expression. Wordlessly, the three of them began to make their way down to the Cafeteria.

As Inna fell into stride with Jooyeon who was walking beside her and Sunggyu, making her way into the cafeteria with the other twenty plus students who were fortunate enough to also be included in this list, she felt a strong hand grip around her upper arm.

“Sit with me.” Jay’s hand tightened around her and pulled her away from Jooyeon’s side, his eyes glaring daggers into Sunggyu who was completely unaware. It wasn’t a suggestion, a longing boyfriend whom only wanted the presence of his long-time girlfriend near him during all this mystery. It was a jealous demand, the type of order she was sadly used to.

Without a word, of course, she complied, she always did, and allowed him to pull her closely onto the seat beside him. She caught Jooyeon’s eye from the table over and ignored the look again and flashed what was supposed to be a comforting, reassuring smile. Instead, it was a weak shadow of a smile and she knew too well it wasn’t convincing.

“Why are you wearing lipstick?” He snapped, moving his face closer to hers, eyes accusing her, staring at her lips.

“It’s just tinted chapstick, Jay.” She tried to shrug him off.

“Who are you trying to impress?” He carried on.

“Nobody.” She insisted. “I have dry lips. I’m sorry.” The apology slipped out of without even realising. So often was she used to just saying sorry to calm things down. It had worked, though, he softened the grip on her and began to smooth her hair behind her ear, eyes that were full of anger just moments ago were smiling at her. Inna let out a bated breath and relaxed a little.

Students were sharing anxious glances. Nobody had a clue what was going on or why they’d been called there. Especially since there was quite a handful of senior students gathered in the room too, it couldn’t be summer school, could it? After another agonising 10 minutes of waiting, the doors of the cafeteria opened with a flourish and their Principal, with a worryingly cheerful smile on his face, took his time walking towards the front of the room.

“Thanks for coming, everyone.” He clapped his hands together, beaming and unnerving everyone as he glanced around the thirty students. “First of all, I just want to congratulate each and every one of you.” He sighed, taking off his jacket and tossing it over the back of a nearby chair. “Honestly, you really have excelled yourselves.” He clapped again. “I genuinely, in all my years at this school have never been so completely and utterly disappointed.” The smile disappeared as if someone had suddenly flicked a switch in him.


At that moment, someone’s phone beeped. Without saying a single word, Seungwon glanced over at the culprit and laughed. It wasn’t a resounding laugh, nor one that sounded particularly healthy. Or happy. He strolled over, and reached out a hand. Not at all surprisingly, he was handed the phone, but nobody expected him to do what he did next.

“Let’s do a quiz.” He held the phone up. “If you can answer my question, he get’s his phone back. Simple.” He shrugged. “But… Say you don’t give me the answer I am looking for and this phone gets turned to tiny, little, itty, bitty pieces. Fun, right?” He laughed again. “Who can tell me…” He paused. “Who in God’s name burned down the building at the back of the field?” His voice turned a little dark.

Nobody said a word. Nobody made eye contact. Everyone looked at their shoes or fiddled with the hands on their laps, and wished and wished that this would end.

“Nobody?” He asked, waving the phone around a little. “I thought not.” And with that, he dropped the phone from his hand and began stamping on it with his foot, not once, not twice, but over and over until it really was itty, bitty pieces. Some people dared to gasp. Others simply stared in complete shock and disbelief. Their Principal had gone mad- it was official. “Here’s what’s going to happen.” Seungwon took a deep breath and stared everybody down. “You’re all going to take out your phones, and put them in one of these bags, “He held up a bunch of small, see-through plastic bags. “And you’re going to write your name on the sticker.” He started handing out marker pens and bags calmly like he hadn’t just smashed someone’s iPhone to smithereens. “And they’re going to go in this box.” He tapped the box at his side.

The students did as they were told. After that performance, there was no way anyone was risking their phone becoming dust by defying him. Seungwon went on to explain to them all how disappointed he was to realise not only did anyone come forward and admit their knowledge or part in the building burning down, but so many people were denying it.

“I’ve phoned all your parents.” He informed them all when the phones were all collected. “They’re all so very pleased to learn their sons and daughters are special enough to be included in this summer programme.” He smiled. “You’ll all get to spend this month wishing you were smart enough to say something about that fire when you had the chance. Because I will find out what happened.” He promised. “But until then, we’re all going to have such fun! Making you all suffer really will be rewarding.”

It turned out that he really had called everyone’s parents. As far as the parents were concerned, their children had been selected after a much speculation and deliberation, for a special and intense course that would last a month, situated at the school whilst everyone else went home for vacation. There was nothing they could do about it.

“On your way out, you can check the rooming list on the doors.” He called as everyone began getting up. “You’ll all be moving rooms, this time you won’t be sorted by house.” That certainly caused a rush of hushed outrage. Students were always roomed by house. Mixed houses in dorms would cause chaos. “Or age.” He added. “Once you get upstairs to your new dorm rooms, I suggest you all change into your gym kit.” He called again, picking up the box of phones and watched as they all filed out of the cafeteria, a universal depression wavering over them. Utter dread and even some fear was on everyone’s minds.
The next month was going to be hell. 
 
word count 1916 - to be continued
 
                                                 
                                                                    「  Author's Note 」

LITERALLY you have no idea how many times I tried to write this damn teaser. I couldn't get the motivation to continue it no matter how many times I forced myself to sit down and try I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY but alas, I managed and here it is, finally. And... THE DEADLINE IS CLOSED! So stay tuned for the first official chapter and the reveal of the students chosen as Alex and I start the difficult process of choosing between all of your apps! OTL. We sincerely hope that everyone will stick around to read, regardless!