Two

I LOST MY MIND [ON HOLD]

 Life is like a book. Every pages are filled with the write-ups of our experiences, may it be happiness, sorrows, pain, desires, and secrets. Our very first chapter begins the moment we came out of our mother's womb. And we, as the author, continue to write the next chapters trying to make it interesting and memorable. In my case, the pages were torn, thrown and burned. 

 

It's been a month since I woke up with empty pages. The last chapters were all forgotten and bound to be replaced. I forgot my identity, emotions and, the most important thing, memories. I had nothing but pure emptiness in me.

 

Despite losing the contents of my mind, I had this hope that dreams would lead me. However, mine is confusing and horrible. I should feel relieved but it's disturbing me to visit slumber land. Every time I shut my tired eyes, unpleasant images flash before me and, if possible, break my numb heart. I thought dreams should be beautiful, wonderful and sweet. The place that you are free to imagine for a better life, reminisce the awesome moments, help you relax from the drama of reality and simply just enjoy the life that was given to you.  I tried averting it to something else like fantasies I've watched or stories I've read. It keeps me awake until dawn breaks. 

 


 

"What will I wear?" I was busy scanning the wardrobe looking for something nice and presentable to wear. I only owned a few ones, courtesy to Mr. Luhan's generous relatives. They gave me some handy downs and, of course a newly purchased ones. I dug a little more and decided to wear a white printed shirt paired with dark blue skinny jeans and black shoes. I kept my long, wavy hair untied and put some lip gloss. This will do. Satisfied, I left my room and went downstairs. There I saw a honey blonde hair boy, in the living room, sitting on a couch, with a remote in his hands flipping channels. His back was facing at me. I slowly went closer to him. Presumably he noticed my presence as he averted his gazed to me and smiled. 

 

"Ready to go?" he asked as he pushed himself of his seat. I simply nodded in response. "Going somewhere?" We turned our heads to an elderly voiced woman. "Yes, I'll tour her around the town. We will be back before dinner Nana." Her brows furrowed but soon relaxed and just nodded. "Well, take care of her." We said our goodbyes and proceeded to the bus stop.

 

Nana was the one who insisted to let me stay together with his grandson. She believed that I'm still vulnerable to be on my own while looking for my identity. With his grandson, Luhan, we lived under the same roof. I took noticed how she's a loving, caring and understanding grandmother. I was amazed by her undying beauty. For a woman around 70 years old, she's still a woman of prim and proper, sophisticated and epitome of beauty. In fact, have resemblances with Luhan looks except she got wrinkles on her forehead and around her eyes. Residing with them was never a dull moment. I'm amused at their grandma-grandson relationship. They seemed to be high school buddies by their interaction. However, I rarely see them throughout the day.

 

"Where are we going?" I asked the moment we sat down. 

 

"It's a surprise but I'm 100% sure you will love it."

 

Again silence had engulfed us. I was sitting near the window while his beside me. We chose to occupy the back row to avoid dealing with rowdy passengers coming in and out the bus. No one really went at the back since their location is nearer and it would be better to stay near the door. The bus was not crowded and I can enjoy watching the view outside without the noise and stuffy feeling.

 

"You want to listen?" Luhan offered me the left side of his earphones. I took it without hesitation. He's currently listening to a song that had a light and lovely melody. The emotions and messages are sweet and gentle. I think I fell in love to this song. It's nice to know that even a song can melt your almost frozen heart. I closed my eyes to feel the song. It lifted my drenched soul. I feel revived.

 


 

"Careful, just walk slowly." Luhan instructed me and I nodded. He blindfolded me as we step out the bus. He should have used his hands to cover my eyes but I unintentionally flinched at his touch. I thought he noticed my uneasiness at his actions so immediately took his handkerchief instead and put it around my eyes. Though his hands are on my shoulders, it's still better than any part of my body. I don't really need to put some restriction signs around my body; he knows where the appropriate place to hold me.

 

I had no idea where he brought me. I was clueless at first but as we walk further I conclude we're near the sea. The cold sea breeze caresses my bare skin, the sound of crashing of waves calm my nerves and the smell of fresh air lingers on my senses. I could hear people talking, children giggling and crying. But it's not loud, their sound is just moderate. Excitement started to fill my almost empty and lonely soul.

 

"Uhm," I trailed "...are we there yet?" I tried to make it sound irate but I a small shriek escaped through my words. Luhan probably noticed it since he snickered, "Just a few more steps. I know you can't wait any longer." Deep red tinted my cheeks. 

 

"We're here," he exclaimed. "Here wh-" I was not able to finish my sentence as he removed the hanky. I was captivated by the breathtaking view of wherever this place. We are currently standing on a rocky hilltop overlooking the deep blue sea and skies. Behind us were a traditional Hanok temple built making the ambiance more serene. The place is the true epitome of beatitude.

 

"What do you think?" He asked.

 

"It's beautiful."

 

"Indeed, it is." 

 

I diverted my attention to him. Just like mine, his eyes twinkled watching the fascinating view before us. He's referring to the view. But why do I feel my heart skipped a beat? He turned to me and I immediately removed my gaze from him to the sea.

 

"I shouldn't have brought you here." I was caught off guard of his statement.

 

"Why? I like the place. It's beautiful." I protested.

 

"But you're busy ogling at me. Do you think I didn't notice it?" a mischievous smile painted his face. I felt my blood rushed up to my face. "What are you talking about? I wasn't even looking at you." I stammered.

 

"Stop denying, it's not really obvious." He teased. 

 

"No I wasn't. You're just assuming."

 

"Am I? Really, I can sense if the person is looking at me. Don't worry, I'm fine with that."

 

I scoffed, "Wow! I never thought you're that bold."

 

"Wow, you actually went beyond your meek facade. I wonder why?" he snickered. I realized that I actually talked that much just trying to defend myself. If it's possible, any second my face would blow up from too much embarrassment. So before that happened, I immediately flee to the buzzing crowd.

 

 

LUHAN POV

 

"Yah! Where are you going?" I called out trying to catch up her pace. She didn't bother to look back or answer, she just walked straight with poise. A big smile plastered on my face as I look at her retreating back. She’s embarrassed. I was astonished to witness this side of her. It's really frustrating to deal with her shy and introvert side. I'm clueless to her needs, wants and thoughts but I couldn't blame her being like that after she woke up and lost her memories. 

 

 

_____________________

EDITED

 

Location: Haedong Yonggungsa, Busan, South Korea

 

I'm sorry for taking up too much time to update. I'm working on it throughout the week but school works need me too. I'll upload the next chapter tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Please stay tune.