Hurricane of Uncovered Sensations

More Than the Land and Sky

After hearing his explanation, his parent’s hadn’t argued with him much. His younger brother seemed the most upset by his departure, but Taemin promised the boy he’d visit him every day, and that he’d still play with him. His brother seemed satisfied with the deal, but didn’t fail to remind him that he’d be in big trouble if he didn’t keep his promise.

 

It was things like those that kept Taemin from throwing himself off the cliff and into the water. He couldn’t just leave his little brother behind in such a way, not when he could avoid it. Still, the thoughts didn’t leave him alone, and although a part of him was telling him not to, a larger part of him said it would be for the best.

 

He also couldn’t leave Jonghyun alone either. The elder had been dealing with the same problem for much longer, and Taemin felt bad only having noticed now just how much his hyung had been suffering. He had never realized how good the elder was at hiding his emotions, but just the same, Taemin was better. He’d at least try to be happy in front of Jonghyun, because he didn’t need to bring the other any more grief than what he’d already experienced.

 

The move was quick and easy. Jonghyun already had a home of his own and Taemin didn’t plan on taking a bunch of stuff with him either. His bed was the largest thing they had to move and his father and Jonghyun were more than willing to supply the help. Other than his clothes, Taemin only brought other necessities, seeing as his new home was that far from his parents’ anyway.

 

Still, there was a whirlwind of feelings circling around him, too fast for him to even begin to decipher every emotion it picked up in its destructive path. He was scared and excited and all all-around depressed at the same time and Taemin wasn’t sure which emotion was the prominent one anymore. They all seemed to clash so harshly in the violent winds they’d created that it’d all just turned into one huge hurricane of uncovered sensations.

 

Jonghyun was welcoming. He understood, more so than Taemin wanted him to be, because if there was one person he wanted to be happy in life other than his little brother, it was Jonghyun. Despite his clear lack of reciprocation, Taemin knew there was more to the elder’s mate then the mermaid let on. Jonghyun was still alive after calling his mate to him, various times has they had implied, and if that was anything to go by then Kibum at least cared somewhat for the other’s well-being.

 

“I’ll be back in a bit, alright Taemin?” Jonghyun said. Taemin had been sitting quietly on his bed, going over all of his things to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything important. He looked up to nod at the elder, quickly taking notice of the shirt in his hands.

 

“Are you going to the humans?” he asked.

 

“Yeah,” Jonghyun replied. “I hate having to wear these shirts but those guys always get so freaked out when they see our wings, so I’ll have to put them away. I’ll be back in a few hours, alright? If you’re hungry, I heard there’s some fresh meat down at Changmin’s place.”

 

Taemin gave him another nod and a wave and watched form his window as Jonghyun left and flew off of the island towards where the humans stayed. He chuckled at his hyung’s distain for the shirt, but he didn’t really understand it either, seeing as he had never worn one.

 

As soon as Jonghyun was out of sight Taemin was out of the door as well, towards the beach he had told Minho they could meet at. He didn’t know if he would be seeing the merman there, but it was now their meeting spot. Taemin would treasure anything Minho was willing to share with him, even if it were a simple grain of sand he picked up from the floor of his home. Sitting there made him feel at least a little closer to his unattainable future and Taemin would settle for just that if he really had to.

 

The sand under his bare feet was warm and rough, but it felt oddly comforting to him. He sprawled out on the sand, wings spread out beneath him. He closed his eyes, enjoying the shade provided by the tree above him. A smile graced him for the first time in a while, comfortably placed, much to his delight. He felt relaxed, without a single worry.

 

On this beach he could image a future with Minho. He could imagine wrapping his wings around the other. He could imagine himself in Minho’s arms, back against the other’s chest as the sat by the shore. Everything he could never picture in his room was so easy to imagine just laying there on the sand, on their beach.

 

This was their sand.

 

These were their trees.

 

That was their shore.

 

This was their everything.

 

At least to Taemin it was. It seemed like this was the only thing other than the few, limited visits from Minho that he would get. He could only imagine these visits going on for so long; probably just until Minho found himself someone he truly loved. Despite the relaxation of his kingdom there was still the undeniable fact that Minho would never really be his that had Taemin plummeting from the clouds to the earth in only a matter of seconds.

 

He let the sound of the waves hitting the shore lull him to sleep. He was at peace where the land met the sea; where the soft breeze and the salty ocean scent did wonders on his conscience. He dug his hands into the sand beneath them, his feet as well, to secure his place in his newfound kingdom. This was his palace where no one other then his king could welcomingly disturb him.

 

The sound of the splash gave him a little hope, but when he looked out to the see, he saw nothing to rejoice about. It was still unchanged. A cough had him turning his head though, to a boulder that sat at the water’s edge. Minho sat against it, with new limbs to show off. He was grinning sheepishly, the side of his eyes crinkled in pleasure as he gave a small wave.

 

“I was going to do that tune that we came up with, but I see that you’re already here,” Minho said. He looked down at his legs before looking back at Taemin, awkward as he shifted from side to side. “I’ve also never used legs before, so I have no idea how to walk.”

 

Taemin stared at him, a bit shocked, before slowly standing and walking towards him. He did his best to avoid looking between his mate’s legs, because he didn’t want to excite himself with what he could not have. He just squatted in front of his mate, awkwardly looking down at the sand beneath them and drumming his fingers against his knees.

 

“I could help you to walk, but do you want pants?” Taemin asked. Minho looked confused and Taemin pointed down to the fabric covering his own legs. Minho looked between Taemin’s legs and his own, before apparently just now taking sight of the appendage between them.

 

“This is a right? I learn about this stuff in class before. A reproductive organ, right?” Minho asked. Taemin nodded, still refusing to look. “It looks weird, are they all the same?”

 

“Some are big, some are small,” Taemin mumbled. “It’s a private area that really shouldn't be out for exhibition.”

 

“Oh,” Minho said. He covered it then, a light blush on his face, probably from having just unknowingly inappropriately exposed himself. “Pants would be nice, yes.”

 

Taemin stood up once more, motioning for Minho to wait there before he flew off towards his new home. He tried to be as quick as possibly, rummaging through his pants for something larger than his own size. Judging by Minho’s body, he was definitely a size or two larger than himself, and Taemin’s pants would be too tight. He didn’t want to take a pair of Jonghyun’s without permission, so he simply took a pair that he had set aside for sleeping, which was more adjustable.

 

He was back down at the beach within 10 minutes, finding Minho a few feet from where he had previously been, probably having tried to walk on his own. Taemin landed gently beside him and laid the pants on his lap, hoping he wouldn’t have to help him into them. Minho just looked at them and back at Taemin’s legs, seemingly understanding how to put them on, and shuffled on the floor to do so. Taemin turned around, so as not to witness the other’s newfound manhood shifting around with the other’s continuous movements.

 

“I have them on,” he heard Minho say. Taemin turned around once more, this time offering his hands to the elder. With an encouraging, shy smile, he motioned for Minho to take them. The other’s soft, water wrinkled hands felt so warm against is own, smaller hands. Minho’s grip was strong and Taemin felt it down at his now wobbly knees. He pulled at hard as he could, using a bit of force from his wings to pull the other up. Minho was heavier that Taemin had estimated, taller as well.

 

Minho was unbalanced, and as soon as he was on his feet, just Taemin’s hands weren’t enough to keep him up. Taemin felt Minho’s arms go to his shoulders as the now taller merman stood against him, fully leaning his weight on him. Taemin felt his entire body heating up at the added warmth that lay against him. He could feel his mate’s skin, chests pressed together as Minho hugged him close so as not to fall. Taemin’s own hands hesitantly went to Minho’s back, resting on his shoulder blades and feeling the muscles beneath his fingertips.

 

He was burning up. This was what if felt like to fly too close to the sun and Taemin already felt himself quickly burning under it’s rays. He needed to get out of it. He needed to get away, because this was a burn he wouldn’t recover from if he let it go on for too long. He was willingly burning himself now, wanting to bask in the light for as long as he could before he crashed down onto the world once more, with the ashes of his wings beneath him. This was the price he was paying for being so close to what he could not have, but it was a pain glorified by the moment.

 

“I don’t think I can really stand on my own,” Minho confessed. A little late, Taemin must admit. He had already figured that Minho couldn’t judging by the way he was being held but he chose to let the merman express himself. “How do you suggest we do this?”

 

“I…I’m going to take a step back, okay? You know human anatomy, correct?” he asked. He felt Minho nod and he nodded back. “I’m going to let go, and I’m going to lock my arm with yours and hold onto you, okay? Don’t lock your knees when you stand.”

 

He felt Minho give him another nod before he careful moved his arms from Minho’s shoulder blades. He moved them down to Minho’s waist, lightly pushing the other into a better position for his posture before quickly moving and hooking one of his arms with Minho’s. The other quickly leaned towards him, but Taemin leaned right back, to keep Minho more upright.

 

“Are you sure this is okay?” Minho asked. Taemin could feel him trembling but he kept a firm grip on the underside of his forearm. He extended his wings, bringing the one behind Minho to slightly come around the merman. If Minho fell forward then Taemin could use his wing to pull him back and help balance him, but staying in front of Minho wouldn’t help him in the long run.

 

“It’s fine,” Taemin assured him. “Watch how I move my legs, and copy it, okay?”

 

“Yeah,” Minho replied. Taemin slowly lifted a leg and took a step forward, small enough so that he wasn’t in an awkward position, but just enough for Minho to notice his movements. Minho carefully did the same, taking just as small of a step as well. His movements were shaky, but Taemin kept his grip firm, a silent promise not to let the other fall.

 

They walked around the beach for the first hour, their steps getting just a bit wider every few minutes. Minho nearly did fall a few times, but each time he was caught by Taemin’s wing and set upright once more, and Taemin reveled in the smile he got in return for his support. When Minho felt confident enough to try on his own, Taemin let go of his arm, but he kept himself at a close range behind the elder, wings and arms at the ready to catch him if he so much as tilted to one side.

 

During their second hour together Minho decided that he had learned enough for the day. He didn’t go back into the water, but he lay in the sun, as Taemin preferred the shade beneath the tree.

 

“You know, I have so much to ask you, but I don’t even know where to start,” Minho said. Taemin shrugged, unsure of how to respond and curling into himself further at Minho’s stare. “From everything I’ve heard about Sirens, I would’ve expected you to be a lot louder.”

 

“Some are,” Taemin replied. “Not everyone is the same you know. Just as all humans and Merpeople are different, are Sirens are different as well.”

 

“Makes sense,” Minho said back. Taemin allowed a smile of his own to show off, but he didn’t uncurl himself. “Now that I think about it, it’s really stupid to believe such a stupid generalization. There is one thing I’m really curious about those.”

 

“Yes?” Taemin inquired. Minho seemed a bit hesitant with the particular question, and Taemin allowed him time to gather his thoughts.

 

“You’re always shirtless because of your wings, right? Because shirts would be uncomfortable?” Minho asked. At Taemin’s nod, he continued, a little cough coming from him. “Do the female Sirens not wear shirts either?”

 

Taemin blushed at the thought and shook his head quickly. “They wear shirts. They are just tailored differently to, accommodate the wings. It’s very difficult too, since at least with our population of eagle breeds, females have larger wings. The elderly also wear shirts, though it’s not required of the man to. They just choose to do so. Some of the little girls forget to wear their shirts sometimes, but there’s really no difference from a boy’s or girl’s chest when they are toddlers, so no one really minds until the difference becomes more prominent.”

 

“That’s actually really similar to how we do it,” Minho replied. He looked towards the ocean briefly before turning back towards Taemin. “As kids it doesn’t really matter, but once the girls get older they have to wear something to cover up. We don’t really have shirts though, since they tend to slow us down. Girls usually use water shells they can find to cover up.”

 

“Just shells? It still seems so revealing,” Taemin said. Minho simply shrugged.

 

“I suppose. I never really thought of it that way, since it’s just what I grew up with, you know? You get used to these things the more you’re exposed to them.”

 

Taemin nodded in understanding. As it turned out the species weren’t as different as either had thought despite their different habitats but location was nothing. Different beliefs were bound to spread but in the end they were all just a bunch of creatures living on the Earth and taking up its space.

 

The third hour rolled by and Minho the sun was closer to setting. Minho had to get back home soon, before Kibum went looking for him, and Taemin knew that Jonghyun could be home at any point now. He’d have to go back home as well.

 

Still, he had no desire to leave the presence of his love, so he chose to just wait until Minho willingly and effortlessly left his side. Taemin walked him back to the water, to make sure he didn’t fall on his way there, and watched as Minho took off his pants and let his legs change back into his tail. He gave a slight wave, and a promise to come back soon, before swimming away without a single droplet of hesitation in his movements.

 

Taemin hated how easy it was for Minho to leave him, because he was still standing there, feeling the last of Minho’s presence slip away from his grasp before flying away slowly towards Changmin’s. The older man was a friend, whose family always had the best food. You could either get it raw or cooked and Taemin was in no mood for cooking at the moment.

 

“Taemin-ah, I was wondering when you’d drop by. I heard you and Jonghyun are living together now?” Changmin asked. Taemin smiled and nodded, feeling just a bit lightened at his hyung’s good mood. “What can I get for you? Some beef? It’s your favorite, right? We got some fresh this morning.”

 

“Some beef would be nice, thank you,” Taemin replied. Changmin noticed his dull mood, because as soon as the meat was sizzling on over the fire he was at Taemin’s side, a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

“What’s got you so down? Shouldn’t you be out with your mate right about now? You’ve called out to your mate, right?” Changmin asked. Taemin nodded, once more saddened by the reminder of his unrequited affection and sighed.

 

“My mate turned out to be a human who already has someone,” he lied. Changmin gave him a sympathetic look and gave his shoulder a light squeeze.

 

“I can’t say I truly understand how you’re feeling, but don’t let it get you too down, alright? There are plenty of Sirens around here who’ve been rejected by a human mate and maybe you can’t really love them the way you’d love your mate, but a sense of companionship can just as easily be enough to make up for it.”

 

Taemin nodded and smiled at his hyung, hoping that it would convince the other that he was alright now. Changmin seemed to accept it and left to check on the food, but Taemin couldn’t fully grasp the elder’s words. He couldn’t imagine being with someone other than the one intended for him, as impossible as it was. He didn’t want to be with anyone other than Minho, and whether it was just the curse talking or not, Taemin didn’t think he could allow himself to be in the arms of another.

 

He ate quietly, thanking Changmin for the meal before walking towards his new home. Jonghyun hadn’t arrived yet but Taemin wasn’t too concerned. He was too tired to continue on for he settled for bathing and getting to bed earlier, hoping that tomorrow would be a more uneventful day.

 

As much as he wanted to see and be around Minho, Taemin’s wasn’t quite sure how much his heart could take before it burst. 


I finally updated!! Wooooh!

I'm so sorry this took me so long to update. I've been so distracted by getting more karma points that I've completely neglectated this fic. But not to worry; I've updated it now and I think I may win the bids tonight and get A Love Thicker Than Blood promoted tomorrow. Hopefully if no one beats me out. I'm opractically using all of my karma points on this bid.

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked this update! It seems like a filler chapter, but I assure you that it's not. It has some new facts about Sirens, and theres something other little hidden stuff that you'll realize the point of in another chapter. 

Please comment and let me know what you think!

Bye bye~