Fear of the Unknown

More Than the Land and Sky

Taemin sat at the edge of the cliff, staring down into the ocean water beneath him. His long wings spread behind him, falling limping on the rough ground. He opened his mouth for a moment, but closed it quickly as he shook his head, opting not to send himself to his death quite just yet. There was no real telling what would happen when he did open his mouth and let his voice drift, but he was afraid to take the chances. He briefly supposed that he was just like the other of his kind: scared of death, of the unknown.

 

But it wasn’t something only the Siren’s faced, although their fear was more justified in his mind.

 

Humans feared almost everything, even things they knew of. They feared the unknown so much more though, and for what? Nothing could really harm them so much in their safe little homes. A human’s main concern was their money, the greedy bastards. They busied themselves all day with money when there was no real need for it.

 

Sirens never used money. They worked as a community. They shared whatever they had, and instead of working for money, they worked simply to help their own kind. All efforts were shared, so there was never the concern of being homeless. There was never anything to gain or lose, and that was what made their lives so much easier.

 

Taemin wished he could say he knew about the Merpeople, but the Sky God only told them so much before avoiding the topic all together. He supposed there were some bitter feelings the God preferred to not speak up, but it only fueled his curiosity that much more. He wanted to know what they ate; how they swam; how they lived. Did they use money like the humans?

 

However, he didn’t find himself caring too much about the Merpeople. Their despicable God was the one that gave them this horrid curse in the first place, because of his own selfish feelings. Taemin always told himself he should give people a chance despite whatever wrongs they did, but the Sea God was one he wasn’t sure he ever could forgive. He’d lost a lot of people in his life because of this damned curse, all because a stupid female Siren and a God with a grudge.

 

A pat on his back made him jump a bit, but he knew from the chuckle exactly who it was. His only real friend knelt behind him, patting his shoulder comfortingly as he took a seat beside him.

 

“What are you doing here,” Jonghyun asked, peeking down at the water beneath him.

 

“Preparing myself,” Taemin replied quietly, his eyes never leaving the water. Jonghyun laughed a bit, but calmed himself when he noticed how scared Taemin really looked.

 

“Oh, stop being so morbid. You know that it rarely ever happens that our call is ignored. A lot of people just choose to fly around until they notice someone looking for them. You could just do that. But I mean that’s really only the case if your mate is human. If its another siren, all you have to do is wait for them to fly to you.” Taemin knew that Jonghyun was trying him best to comfort him, but 5 hours were short in his mind, not nearly enough time for his mate to find him, whoever he or she was; Taemin had no real preference.

 

“Why can’t we be like humans or Merpeople who get to choose their mate? Our future partner is just left for fate to decide, and there’s not telling how much kindness your fate will show. What if I’m one of those few whose mate doesn’t make it in time?”  Taemin asked. Jonghyun sighed beside him, understanding the younger completely, but at the same time, he knew this was something the younger needed to get over. The problem was that Taemin wasn’t like some of the other sirens that preferred to kill themselves than live alone. Taemin was the one that preferred to live alone than be with someone else if he had to.

 

“Take the chance. I know you’re scared, and that’s normal, but you also have to consider the fact that you’ll need someone there for you,” Jonghyun tried to reason. Taemin finally turned away from the water to stare at him.

 

“But I have you, don’t I? You haven’t even called your mate either, and you’re already 21,” Taemin argued.

 

“Actually, I called my mate when I was 18. I just don’t call him too often because he’s not exactly close by, and he’s a bit stubborn. He doesn’t exactly accept the fact that I’m his mate,” Jonghyun countered. Taemin stared at him with wide eyes.

 

“You called your mate and you didn’t tell me?” he asked incredulously. Jonghyun simply shrugged at him.

 

“I told you, he wasn’t exactly happy to see him, and he still isn’t.”

 

“But… Doesn’t it hurt; knowing that your mate doesn’t want to be with you?” Taemin asked. Once more, Jonghyun simply shrugged his shoulders.

 

“That’s the thing though; even though it hurts, you still can’t help love them anyway. It’s all part of the curse the Bastard of the Sea put on us. We have no choice but to fall in love with our mate, even if they can’t return the feelings. The most we can do is try to make them change their mind,” Jonghyun replied.

 

Taemin nodded at him, before turning back to the water, his resolve settled. “Okay then, I’ll do it. Now go away.”

 

“Go away? Why? I want to be here when your mate comes!”

 

“Because you didn’t let me be there when you called your mate! Plus, your voice intimidates me hyung. Mine sounds like garbage compared to yours.”

 

“Oh my little fairy prince, your voice sounds like an angel’s, stop complaining! You know very well that I like listening to your voice! A lot of people do,” Jonghyun argued back. “Besides, you were only 15, you had no reason to be there. Now let hyung stay, please? I’ll catch you some really good pork.”

 

Taemin sighed but nodded, knowing that even if he had managed to get Jonghyun to leave, the older would most certainly stay within the area to watch him. He chose not to make a comment on the “fairy prince” label, as it had been something Jonghyun had been calling him for years despite his protest.

 

He in a breath before opening his mouth as he had before and letting his voice free. Jonghyun closed his eyes as he took in the soft but strong sound of the younger’s songs. It was sung the same way as any other siren, it was the tune they always used as they called their mate, but Jonghyun had always loved listening to the different tones every siren used.

 

Taemin’s sounded light, but it’s sound drifted far, just as any other’s did. Their voice, during this song, always resounded the loudest, to ensure that their mate heard and could follow it back to its source. Jonghyun silently prayed to the God of the Sky to help Taemin find his mate, because he wasn’t sure what he would do without the young siren he had looked after for so long.

 

There were no words to the song; just a simple vocalization that spread a familiar warmth through his body. He wasn’t lying when he had said that he loved listening to Taemin’s voice. Even if the younger was insecure about it, Jonghyun knew that it was a lovely voice, and he was sure the younger’s mate would think so too. It had it’s own color that shined all on its own, without anyone else’s help, and Jonghyun liked that. Taemin’s voice was the perfect representation of himself.

 

As the song came to an end, Taemin’s voice grew softer, until the song was over and there was nothing more left to be heard. The crashing of the waves against the cliff filled their ears once more as Taemin closed his eyes and rested his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder.

 

And Jonghyun silently hoped that this wouldn’t be the last moment they shared.

 


 

Kibum swam towards his home, hoping to get there as soon as possible, to the comfort of his bed. His best friend had other plans however, and chose instead to drag him around the borders of the city, no matter how much he protested. He had managed to get away for a short moment, but once more, his friend caught him and dragged him off to who knows where.

 

“Choi Minho, I swear if you don’t let go of me right now, I will slap the blue right off your scales,” Kibum threatened. Minho laughed at his threat and continued on as if he wasn’t in any danger, and truthfully, he wasn’t. Even Kibum himself knew that he wasn’t about to really hurt his friend to that extent, even if it were possible.

 

“Lighten up, will you? It’s just a little outing, nothing more,” Minho replied. Kibum huffed, knowing that they’d end up getting in trouble again somehow, because Minho always managed to do so, and was always calm about it. He supposed that at this point Minho didn’t even care, because even though they would get scolded, no laws were ever being broken.

 

The problem was that Kibum hated getting in trouble and Minho didn’t really care.

 

“If we get in trouble again, I’m skewering you,” Kibum said. Minho finally willingly put him down and allowed him to swim on his own. They were probably going to go swim around the borders of the city again, even though their parents had warmed them one too many times that they weren’t supposed to. Sharks like to roam around there and they were too stubborn to deal with. Kibum thought Minho was just as, if not more so, stubborn than the sharks.

 

“Don’t be such a prude. We’ll be fine this time,” Minho reassured. “We just have to make sure we don’t get caught again.”

 

“Minho!!”

 

“We’re here,” Minho said, cutting off whatever insult Kibum was prepared to throw his way.

 

“When are you going to learn to stop wandering around and just accept the norm?” Kibum asked.

 

“When I get all my answers. I know there’s more out there than the God of the Sea is telling us and I won’t settle for it. I’m not rebelling against his rule. I just question his teachings,” Minho replied casually. And it was very much true. He had nothing against the Sea God; he simply knew that the God wasn’t telling them the complete truth. He was tired of everyone’s judgmental ways. It felt like no one had a mind of their own and that the Sea God was thinking for them.

 

“What more is there to know? Please, explain that to me,” Kibum pestered. Minho huffed and turned to him, grabbing his shoulders.

 

“There’s a lot Kibum! There’s a whole ocean out there and I guarantee that we aren’t the only group of Merpeople! And what about all the other creatures? I’ve never met a human or any other creature other than a sea creature!”

 

“I’m sure humans aren’t all that great! They can’t breathe under water or anything. And what other creatures? The Sirens? They’re filthy, monstrous creatures Minho! They eat fish! And they have creepy red eyes! All of them! They’re all the same! And they’re ugly! The only thing working for them is their voice and that isn’t all that great either considering there’s a large population of Merpeople that can sing as well,” Kibum countered. He slapped Minho’s hands off of him and the younger glared at him.

 

“A handful of us can sing was well as the Sirens, and who are we to judge them? We haven’t exactly proven to be superior considering all of the deaths we’ve caused to the humans. And you haven’t heard of a single Siren attacking our fish, or us have you? It’s just the Sea God’s words making you believe everything. I’m not saying that I want to go and marry one. I’m just saying that I’d at least like to see one,” Minho replied.

 

Kibum wanted to reply, but before he could, Minho’s eyes widened and his posture stiffed. He watched curiously as his best friend began to look around frantically, in search of something, though he wasn’t sure what.

 

“Minho? What–”

 

“Shhh,” Minho said quickly, his index finger pulled up to his lips. Suddenly, he perked up in one direction, directly behind him, and began swimming quickly in that direction. Kibum wasn’t sure what had gotten into him, but the reaction seemed frightfully familiar, and if he was correct, that there was no turning back if Minho made it to the destination.

 

“Minho wait! Stop!!”

 

“I can’t stop Kibum! Can’t you hear it; that beautiful song? I need to find it,” Minho replied back. His speed only increased and Kibum feared he wouldn’t make it in time.

 

“That’s a Siren’s Call Minho! Don’t go to it!!”

 

“Siren? Then this is my chance! I’ll finally get to see one for myself!”

 

“No! Haven’t you heard the stories? They’ll kill you Minho! They’ll kill and eat you!”

 

“Then I won’t let it see me,” Minho argued. “I need to go to it Kibum! I need to see it for myself!”

 

Kibum knew. He knew exactly what was happening, and he hated it. He wanted to stop it, but he knew that unless he could catch up to Minho, there was no way he’d be able to stop the other merman. Minho was too fast for him, and at this rate, Minho was going to find the Sirens.

 


 

Jonghyun hummed softly as Taemin fell asleep on his shoulder. Truthfully, Taemin had been too nervous to sleep, but Jonghyun’s song had forced him into an unconscious state. The elder didn’t want the younger to stress himself out, and if his friend had the misfortune of being unfound by his mate, he’d prefer that the younger was asleep through most of the pain before he woke up to face the sea below them.

 

There was no telling, really, when it was that Taemin’s mate would arrive, if he even did, but Jonghyun would wake the boy up if–hopefully when–the other arrived. Taemin’s song had ended already almost an hour ago, but the other still had four hours to go. They could make it in that time.

 

It was close to the two-hour mark when Jonghyun, almost soothed himself by the crash of the waves, peaked out to see two mermen trying to hide behind a rock. He wasn’t sure if this was better than Taemin’s mate never arriving as he gently laid Taemin down on the ground and flew over to the rock the two mermen were hiding behind, already recognizing one of them.

 

The two mermen hid under the water as soon as he set foot on the rock and he crouched down to catch a good look at them. He chuckled at their surprised expressions and motioned for them to come back up.

 

“Kibummie, I know that’s you. You know very well that you can’t hide from me,” Jonghyun called. He saw the other, bigger merman turn his surprised look towards Kibum, who was now glaring up at him. The green tailed merman slowly swam, only letting himself expose up to his chin to the air.

 

“You disgusting creature. I thought I told you never to call me again,” Kibum replied. By now, the other merman had moved up as well, staring at him in astonishment.
 

“I didn’t call you, which makes me wonder why you’re here. Did you miss me?” Jonghyun teased. Kibum practically fumed to himself and Jonghyun chuckled at his expression. “I only kid. I know very well not to call you over too often. But I really didn’t call you this time. You would’ve heard my call.”

 

“I know you didn’t,” Kibum replied, seething on the inside for having to deal with the Siren. “What do you want you fish eater?”

 

“Didn’t I already tell you that we don’t eat fish anymore? That was the earlier Sirens. We eat actual meat now, like cow and pork. Humans are the ones eating your fishy friends,” Jonghyun countered. He shook his head at the stubborn merman before him. “Besides, I already told you that I didn’t call you. I should be the one asking why you’re here.”

 

“My friend here heard a Siren’s Call, so he came here. But he just wanted to see a Siren and now he has, now let’s go,” Kibum replied, grabbing onto the other merman’s arm. However, Jonghyun grabbed Kibum’s, preventing him from dragging the other away.

 

“Sorry, but I can’t let you leave now. I know you hate us, and you and your God would be happy if we were gone, but I can’t lose Taemin. He’s too precious for me to lose him just because you won’t let him see his mate. He just needs to see him Kibum. Please,” Jonghyun begged. The merman beside Kibum looked confused towards his friend.

 

“I thought you said a Siren’s Call was to lure us in so that they could kill us. They don’t even eat fish! And what are you talking about? What mate?” the other asked. Jonghyun stared at him incredulously before turning back to Kibum.

 

“You told him we’d eat him. That’s nice. Your God really doesn’t teach you much about us, does he?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Only the necessary,” Kibum replied.

 

“Did he tell you that he cursed us?” Jonghyun countered. He turned to look at the merman beside Kibum. “Your God couldn’t take the fact that the mermaid he loved was in love with someone else, so he turned her into a bird. Then our God turned her into a Siren, which created the species. We didn’t just appear out of nowhere. The first of our species was also the first of yours. The only thing is that your God cursed her after he turned her mate back into a fish, so that when she called to him, he was unable to go to her. She got depressed, so she killed herself after 5 hours of waiting.”

 

“What was the curse?” the merman asked.

 

“When we reach a certain age, we sing the Siren’s Call, which is a call to our mate, and only our mate. However, if our mate doesn’t respond to our call and fails to make it to us with 5 hours, our depression becomes too much, and we plunge ourselves into the ocean, just as the first of us had,” Jonghyun answered. “Now, I know that since you’re Merpeople, you won’t care for our existence, but I’m asking this as sincerely as I can. My friend doesn’t deserve to die because you refused to let him see you. You don’t have to love him back, just let him know you exist.”

 

“Love him back?”

 

“It’s part of the curse,” Jonghyun replied, turning once more to look at Kibum. “We can’t help but fall in love with whoever our mate is, whether they end up returning our feelings or not. If our mate were another Siren, as it is in most cases, it wouldn’t be a problem. But once in a while we’ll get a human, and that just complicates things. Getting a mermaid, or merman in this case, complicates things even more.”

 

“So what? I just have to let him see me?”

 

“Yeah, if you don’t mind waiting here for a bit. I had to force him to sleep since he was so nervous, and I was afraid you wouldn’t come. I’d prefer that he was asleep through most of the wait before he woke up,” Jonghyun answered. He motioned for the two to stay, though more towards Kibum since he knew the other was more inclined to drag the other way. He flew back up to the cliff where Taemin still slept soundly, landing gently beside the other so as not to startle him.

 

He gently shook his shoulder. Taemin didn’t move at first, but he stirred a bit soon after before finally opening his eyes. They fluttered softly, adjusting once more to the light before he rubbed them with a soft yawn and sat up. Jonghyun didn’t want to rush him, but also didn’t want to waste any time knowing how impatient Kibum was.

 

“Come on Taeminnie, I have something to show you,” Jonghyun said softly. Taemin looked at him sadly before shaking his head.

 

“How long has it been?” Taemin asked hesitantly. Jonghyun knew he was afraid to hear the answer, but he didn’t blame him.

 

“Just about two hours. I know you’re not in the mood for anything, but this will really cheer you up, I promise,” Jonghyun replied. He gently grabbed the younger’s hand and helped him up before leading him to the edge of the cliff. “It’s just down there on the rocks. Come on, or would you prefer that I carry you?”

 

“I can fly down,” Taemin said. Jonghyun nodded and flew down, his hand never leaving Taemin’s as he moved to a larger rock that could accommodate the both of them. He motioned to the two mermen to come to them, and they did, although hesitantly.

 

“Look Taeminnie, right over there,” Jonghyun said, motioning towards where the two mermen were. Taemin didn’t see anything, since the two had moved underwater to swim to them, but when they came back up in front of them, Jonghyun watched as Taemin’s eyes widened for a reason he knew wasn’t because of his first encounter with Merpeople.

 

Taemin felt his heart race when his eyes landed on the blue-eyed merman before him, taking in every one of his strong features. From his wet, dark brown hair down to the broad shoulders the merman exposed to him, Taemin memorized every single feature. He couldn’t control the stirring in his heart as the merman stared right back at him, eyes wide, though he figured it wasn’t for the same reason.

 

That was when the realization hit.

 

His mate was a damned merman.

 

And he was already in love.


 

Here's the first chapter! I hope you all enjoyed it! Sorry for taking so long to post it. College , and two majors just makes it worse. But oh well. I like my majors, even if I don't like the work load.

I've also been sick for the past week. I'm slowly getting better. The first few days were filled while dizzy spells, lightheadedness (is that a word?) and nausea. Not fun.

So, it took me a while, but I was looking up vocalizations on youtube to what I imaged the Siren's Call to sound like, and I came up with THIS. I was a bit iffy about it at first, but then I remembered that just because the girl singing it sounds like that, doesn't mean that Taemin sounds exactly like that too. Just imagine the song being sung in Taemin's tone, and remember that he is a Siren in this, so his vocal range would probably be higher here. Sirens are best known for their voices. 

Thank you all for reading! 

Please comment and let me know what you think! It'd really mean a lot! 

Your comments never fail to brighten up my day!

Bye bye~