Prologue

More Than the Land and Sky

Centuries ago, a young girl was cast aside from society. With nowhere else to go, she sought for solace in the only place she felt accepted: the sea. She chose to drown and end her existence where she felt most at peace, but the God of the Sea took pity on the poor child, and transformed her into a creature no man had ever seen, not even he. He gave her the tail of a fish, but let her keep her upper body, finding the girl’s beauty too captivating to destroy.

 

The girl was no longer upset, being able to live in the place she felt most at home, but she was lonely. The God of the Sea once again took pity on her, and changed half the population of fish he had into creatures just like her: creatures with the upper appearance of a land dweller, but the with the tail of a fish. He gave them all the ability to go on land with legs to reproduce as the humans did, but they were only allowed out of the water for so long. From that moment on, a city was born in the depths of the sea where no man would possibly find them.

 

The God of the Sea, so entranced with the girl’s beauty, left her gifts every morning. He protected her from afar, watching over her like a guardian angel. However, a greedy creature had claimed the gifts he had left as his own doing, and wooed the beautiful girl. Angry and upset, the God of the Sea appeared before the girl who was falling for the man, and tried to tell her the truth. She did not believe him though, and chose to believe the creature that had been lying to her the entire time.

 

He grew furious with every day that passed, and when the creature attempted to impregnate the woman he loved for so long, he could no longer hold back. He felt betrayed by the woman he had given so much to, and as soon as she set foot on land for the first time in years, he cursed her. Once her legs were out, he gave her the appearance of a creature he hated: the bird. He took away her tail forever and instead turned her into one of those bastardly winged creatures.

 

The God of the Sky, who was watching the entire interaction, took pity on the couple, though he knew that the God of the Sea was somewhat justified in his actions. He altered the girl’s curse, so that her physique was of that of a woman, but the wings, claws, and talons remained. The girl thanked him and in every way she could, and once given the name “Siren,” sang her song to the other creature the God of the Sea had now named his Merpeople. He came to her as soon as he heard and went on land to meet her.

 

Just as the God of the Sea had done for her, the God of the Sky took half the population of birds and transformed them into Sirens as well, so that his new creation could live on.

 

From then on, the merman spent every hour he was allowed on land a day in her presence. Whenever she called, he swam to her side, all behind the back of the God of the Sea. When he found out, he was more furious than ever, and threatened to wage war against the God of the Sky. However, the other attempted to appease him by allowing the God of the Sea to give them whatever punishment he saw fit. In response, the God of the Sea turned the merman back into the fish he once was. When the Siren called for him the next day, he never came.

 

The Siren waited for 5 hours before she could no longer take the pain and plunged herself into the ocean, to die where she was meant to so many years ago. The God of the Sea saw this as his chance, and placed a curse on all Sirens, so that if their call were ignored, their life would end.

 


 

Sirens continued to live on, though the curse that the God of the Sea placed on them remained. The God of the Sky could do nothing to break the curse, because he had promised the other that he would let him have his last revenge.

 

Since then, Sirens continued to have ill fate. A group of Sirens dared to challenge the Muses and died at the hands of their defeat. Another Siren dared to disturb Odysseus on his journey home, and plunged herself into the ocean when he did not go to her after her song.

 

However, mermaids were not much fortunate either. A few mermaids had either forgotten or simply did not know, that humans could not breathe underwater. They wanted to charm the human men they saw, seduced them into the water. They dragged the men down to the depths of the ocean, drowning them in the process.

 

Some mermaids have even been the cause of shipwrecks, effectively killing many sailors.

 

Neither the God of the Sea nor the God of the Sky were happy that their creatures had caused so many problems, but they could not control every aspect of their creatures either. However, both were still proud enough to say that their creatures were better than the humans. The three species did their best not to interact, though exceptions were made every so often. Sirens and mermaids were enemies, but neither held any ill will towards the humans. It was the humans that feared the Sirens and mermaids.

 

As the years passed, the God of the Sea’s bitterness did not calm. He stressed to his creatures the evils of the Sirens. He spread stories to them of how deceitful and ungrateful the Sirens were, and his people believed every word he spoke. Though no law was made, it was an unspoken rule that interacting with the Sirens was disgraceful. Some mermaids that had been seen talking to Sirens were banned from their village, and no one tried to risk banishment.

 

Sirens did not care much for who they interacted with, mermaid or not. They were never caught to hate any other creature. The only thing they knew was the fear of their own song. Once they were of age, they would sing a specific song, which was supposed to draw to them only their mate. However, because of the curse placed on them, their mate only had a limited amount of time to get to them.

 

Many feared the death that may come to them if their mate failed to answer their call. However, many thought it was better to die than live alone without their mate.

 

The only restriction the curse did not have was who their mate would be.


Here is the prologue for you guys! I thought I'd post it before went out tonight. 

Thank you to everyone who as subscribed so far! It really makes me happy! 

Please comment and let me know what you think!! Comments make me really happy! 

Bye bye~