Rooftop

What Is Love?

**2**

One month as passed since the last time I talked to Jackson although he tried to see me a lot of times. I felt so lonely without him… So empty…  But that was the past and I needed to move on. I hold on to my plane ticket, trying to get the painful memories away from me… I’m about five minutes away from the airport. Where am I going? To South Korea. Why? Because when my parents got the divorce my mom married some Korean guy and they went to live in Korea. Since then I’ve been learning Korean, to make my mom happy. And my dad? I never saw him again. My sarcastic laugh echoes in the old taxi and the taxis looks at me in a worried way when he notices my flowing tears trough the rearview mirror. I clean them and stop laughing. That’s it, must have got crazy. This change is getting me crazy.

The airport is full of strange and faces rushing all over the place. I don’t have that much luggage, but the one I’m carrying it’s really heavy, what slows me down a bit. I look for some signs with indications to where to go, but all I can see is people rushing all over the place. Some old couple who was going on the same flight as me ended up helping me and after half an hour I was already in my seat. It was my first time on a plane. On the seats next to mine there was one couple kissing very loudly. I look at them wondering if me and Jackson could be like that if nothing had changed. I take my headphones out of my bag and put them on. As soon as the calm music starts playing, I fall asleep thinking about how my new life will be.

 

---

Incheon International Airport is full of people, what surprises me. I’ve always thought that South Korea was just a small and quiet country, but I was mistaken. I looked for a sign with ‘’I’M HERE LISBON’’ in the middle of the people, and I ended up finding one, but was not exactly what I expected. My mom was about 10 meters away from where I was, holding a big sign saying ‘’ PRINCESS LISBON, MOM IS HERE!!!’’ with a big smile. I faced palm myself and walked in her direction. One step before I stop, she jumps on me, making me fall.

«Oh Lisbon, mom missed you so much!»- she starts crying, making me feel awkward. «Yeah mom, I missed you too» I smile to myself. Yeah, I really missed her. She gets up and then helps me. Only when I already got up is that I notice the Korean man standing in front of us. He was tall and had a big smile in his white face. «Lisbon, this is hmm… Your new father, Kim Moon-ho! Isn’t he handsome? » she looks at him with her eyes full of love making me like my ‘’new father’’ a little bit. «Hi, I’m Lisbon.» I smiled and bowed. My Korean was good, and I tried to make it sound perfect. Moon-Ho bowed back and smiled, saying that my Korean was good, making me like him a little bit more. Maybe this wouldn’t be as hard as I though.

Seoul was very different from London, except the Han River, who reminds me of river Thames. Between some buildings I could see mountains not very far. It looked kind of beautiful, but I still prefer London. I sighed and looked forward. My mom was looking at me through the rearview mirror. I smiled at her and she smiled back. Then the car stopped.

«Ah, Lisbon, mom has to finish some work before going home. Do you want go with Moon-Ho , or wait for me? I’ll be fast and we can go eat ice cream afterwards! » she said.

«Hey, why can’t I go eat ice cream with you too? » my new dad pretended he was mad and my mom pocked him.

«Me and Lisbon need to spend some time alone, without men. She as a lot to tell me, about a certain Jackson… » she threw me an evil smile.

«Mom!! » I laughed, but deep in my chest I felt the pain in hearing Jackson’s name again. I ended up by decide to wait for her. She rushed in entering the building waving at me saying she wouldn't take long. But I didn’t believe her. When I lived with her and dad, she would always be late to pick me up at kindergarten.

I looked up to observe the building where she was working. It was really big, with smoky windows all over it and a sign saying SM Entertainment at the door. There was a group of girls with lots of cameras at the entrance, and every time a black van would exited the buildings garage, all the girls would start screaming and taking pictures of the van. I found that girls funny. They were so in love with the perspective of the ‘’ideal boy’’ being in one of those childish boy bands. But I couldn’t say that out loud, because my mom was manager of one of them and she really loved her work.

Half an hour passed and I am standing here waiting for my mom to come out.

«I won’t take long… Yeah, right mom…» I sighed. I was about to call her when I received a text ‘’Sorry Lis! I’m a bit late… hehe Maybe you could come inside and wait for me at my office? I already told the guard to let you come in. I’ll try to be fast. Love you xx’’ . Again, I sighed out loud and looked at the front door. I didn’t want to come in, but I also didn’t want to look like one of the crazy fans, so I decided to choose the first option. As soon as I pushed the cold door the guard came to help me. I was about to say ‘’I’m Lisbon, Anna’s daughter’’ but he seemed to know who I was so I just smiled at him.

With the text my mom also told me the instructions to her office. It was on the 7th floor.

While waiting for the elevator, I looked around. Even at the lobby there was people running around, so concentrated at their work that it seemed like their life was all about that. The lobby was decorated with a very modern and chic style with an enormous LED screen in one of the walls. When the elevator arrived, there was a small group of people inside it. Someone asked me which floor I was going and I answered 7. I entered the elevator, along with some guy who suddenly appeared. I couldn’t see his face, but he seemed to be a little older than me although not very tall. Maybe was one of the artists. The elevator opened its door at the second floor and more people came in, pushing me against the guy who turned around and grabbed my shoulders keeping me from collide with him. I thanked him, but he didn’t reply.

People kept coming in and out in every floor. The elevator was already at the 6th floor when something began to beep. Someone said that there were too many people in the elevator, but no one wanted to come out. Instead, more people wanted to come in. I decided to come out and use the stairs. It was only one floor… and I had a lot of energy. The guy I almost hit also came out and walked away, entering some noisy office.

When I opened the stairs door, a fresh breeze passed through me, maybe coming through some window. I started to climb the stairs and half a minute after I was already at the 7th. When I tried to open the door it didn’t move. I tried again to push the knob, be nothing moved. It was locked. I sighed and looked up. Maybe I could catch the elevator again in the upper floor, so I started to climb the stairs again. When I reached the 8th floor I realized it was the last one. I grabbed the knob and pushed it. The door wasn’t locked and as soon as I opened it a warm summer breeze went through my face. The 8th floor was actually the building rooftop. I cursed at my luck and turned around, but the sound of classic music made me look at the rooftop again. Someone was there, someone with a really good music taste. Curiosity made me follow the soft music, maybe some girl was there practicing… But I was mistaken. There, on the opposite side, was a guy dancing like I never saw someone dancing. His moves, along with the sad music made him look like he was flying. His softly dark skin along with the sun setting would make a perfect picture. I couldn’t take my eyes of him, and he seemed to notice that. He stopped dancing, turned the music of and looked at me.

«Who are you? »