Lightning Radio

Lightning Radio

"You can't cut my show! You just can't do that!" 

"I'm sorry, Jongdae-sshi. The survey says it all. Your show is the least listened to at the ten to midnight time slot and it's been like this for almost a year now."

"But.. I.. Ugh.. What do I do then?"

"We've scheduled one of the top singer-songwriters in the nation to come and visit your show. Just get ready for it, okay?"

"...okay."

It's not like I have any other f-cking choice at this point, right, boss? If you would let me use profanity for once then maybe the show will liven up. But all this being respectful on air because of the time slot... if there are children listening in on my show at ten in the evening, then why should I suffer?! Kids should be asleep at that hour! Sigh... being a radio DJ is hard. I like my job but why does this have to be so stressful for me? I just want to play music I like, discuss topics and make Lightning Radio a fun two hours. Why is it so difficult to do this? Oh yeah... broadcast restrictions. 

Don't say this. Only say that. Blah blah blah. Make money off advertising. Damn it! If I could make my own show, I would! But... I have to make a living somehow. I'll have to listen to what my boss says. It's not like I can argue with him now. Whoever is coming to my show tomorrow night better make it the best show anyone has ever heard! 


Winter is still around and I see my breath color the air. I walk the streets of Gangnam with my scarf wrapped around my neck covering half of my face as I hold a thermos full of hot tea to warm my glove-covered hands. I hope this freezing night won't last long because I want to get home as soon as the show ends. Here's hoping this is one of other shows... or else, this will just be my last.

"Hey, Byunbaek. How's Radio Love?" I ask my fellow DJ who just finished his two-hour segment.

"I got a message from a listener declaring their love for me... you know, the usual."

"Haha, you ."

"Oh yeah... sorry about... you know..."

"What? About my show getting cut?"

"You're not upset?"

"Eh? Of course I am!  I just won't wallow in self-pity because of it. I gotta move on."

"Ooohhh Mister DJ Chen is being all cool-like."

"Stop it! Haha!"

It's thirty minutes before my show starts and I greet my friend good-bye as he goes home. As for me, I'm getting ready to interview a star hoping the listeners will tune in and want to actually keep listening to my show. I feel nervous... I know I act coy and cool but honestly I'm scared. Will my show ever live for another few weeks? What will be my next work? 

STOP!

Kim Jongdae. You got this. Let's work on tonight's show and we'll figure out what to do afterwards. This will be good. If this is your last show then make it the best damn last episode you'll ever have. 

I clasp my hands together and pray for a moment.

What? A guy like me can pray.As I'm asking for a miracle, a tap on my shoulder interrupts my wishful thinking. I turn around and it's my boss next to Suho... SUHO? SUHO??!! THEY ASKED SUHO TO BE MY GUEST?!

"Jongdae-sshi, your guest has arrived and wants to greet you."

"Nice to see you again," Suho says to me as he takes out his hand for a handshake.

I take it out of courtesy but quickly remove my hand from his grasp. You may be wondering why I'm not excited to be meeting with Suho (or privately known as Junmyeon) who happens to be the nation's singer-songwriter. Hmm... we have a history together which I'd rather not explain.

"You have twenty minutes before the show starts. Get acquianted. Do what you must. Cameras are up and streaming in the website, don't forget. So be friendly... even though I know that's not your strongest suit, Jongdae-sshi."

My boss really likes to push my buttons. Is this why he's pushing to get my show off the air? So he can torment me for a lifetime? Damn you, boss!

I awkwardly stand in front of Junmyeon and he just keeps smiling. Ugh. Can you not? Can you f-cking not?! I can't deal with your handsome face now!

"Uhm... I'll get ready now. Just... grab some coffee if you want. I'll introduce you and that's the only time you can speak. Got it?"

"I know how radio shows work. No need to tell me."

"Yeah... so... okay."

I'm so f-cking awkward with him. I don't know how to act with this guy. Why does it have to be him of all people? 

There's no point in complaining now, is there? I just give a heavy sigh and enter the booth. I put down my thermos on the desk and look at the script prepared. Suho's preparing for his comeback which will be released in a week and he's also promoting a musical he'll be acting in. No wonder my show isn't listened to a lot... the script is terrible! I ask him what his comeback concept is and what the musical is about. PEOPLE CAN JUST GOOGLE THAT! It's not because my show ... the script ! The fact that even my show is scripted makes it bad. I want my show to be spontaneous... I want to talk a more personal level with guests and have a discussion with listeners. Why can't my boss understand this?

"Five minutes before you're on the air"

I hear the from the opposite room. I nod my head telling them I understood. Suho enters the booth and I clear my throat. I avoid his gaze and continue looking through the script and memorizing what I have to ask. I can't see him but I know he's looking at me with those big eyes of his. I cover my embarrassed face with the script and I can hear him giggle.

Hey! There is nothing to laugh about here!

"One minute to air."

I put down the script and put on my headset. I check the radio's website and currently there are two hundred logged in users tuning in... which is good. Usually I only have about a hundred on a no-guest show. The guest numbers increase as the time ticks down to go on air. I read a few messages and I hear the intro of my show come on. It's almost time for me to speak and introduce myself. Here we go...

"Good evening, Chenderallas and welcome to another day on Lightning radio with me DJ Chen. Today is going to be a great show for with me is one of the most talented singers in our country. Can you guess who he is? Well, you can check now at our website to livestream everything that goes on in this booth. Let's give a warm welcome to Suho!"

The automated cheers and screams can be heard on the radio broadcast. Suho then greets everyone with a regular 'hello' and 'thank you'. 

"It's been a while since you've been on the air, right, Suho-sshi?"

"Yeah, that's right."

"What have you been doing so far?"

"I've been preparing for my album release as well as my acting debut on stage!"

"Wow! That must be exciting."

"It is."

Ugh I sound so automated. Might as well replace me with a voice recording since I practically say this all the time since it's in the script.

"Tell us more about the album"

"Hmm, nothing much to say about the album except that it's a story I wrote, composed and arranged myself."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. And it's a story very close to my heart since it's about someone I love dearly."

Suddenly I can imagine the entire building, and maybe even the neighborhood, wake up (if they're asleep) and put their ears closer to their speakers. Suho didn't use the "love" word in past tense but in present. The nation's singer is dating someone. Shocking, is it not? In my script I'm only supposed to ask for him to explain the content of the album but nothing personal like relationships and my boss wants to keep it that way. Heck. It's my last show. Let's make this interesting, shall we?

"So this person you love dearly... is that person someone you're seeing now?"

"Ung? That isn't in the script, Chen-sshi."

"That's what's great about my show! We can go unscripted a lot, right, boss?"

I can see my boss turn fuming red. He's not liking that I'm ignoring the script. He'll probably barge in during the break and give me a huge lecture but we can't stop the show just yet.

"Suho-sshi, tell us... are you seeing anyone?"

"Uhm..."

"Come on. Don't be shy!"

There is a tense silence filling the air. Suho's looking around the room probably finding an escape route but this booth is a closed area with no windows. He can't run away now since there's also a livestream. I'm enjoying every second of this... I'm hoping the listeners are enjoying it, too.

"Oh! Around three-hundred fifty listeners are logged-in on the website and listening to the show. Thanks, everyone, for your interest! We're going to be hearing more from Suho soon so stay tuned!" 

We go on a commercial break and the mic is off. I can see my boss signaling me to come see him. I'm in trouble. 


"ARE YOU INSANE?!?!"

"Now, boss, shouting is not good for your health."

"KIM JONGDAE!!!!! Jesus!!!!! You're going to ruin our radio's reputation if you try to dig your own grave. Don't forget, this is--"

"My last show. I know. I get it. Can't I at least have a memorable last show? This is all I ask for, boss."

I can see his nostrils flare and ears turn to a bright red the same as a tomato. He wants to strangle me as he has his hands in the air grabbing nothing in front of me. He combs his hair with his fingers and points at me to probably say 'You're fired' to me but then one of the website administrators comes in congratulating us. We both look a bit confused and the admin explains...

"Our website had to be shut down because of too many people logging in at the same time! We're getting a big boost on listenership and viewership all thanks to Chen-sshi!"

"Are you sure?!" my boss asks.

"Yes! We're getting the site back up but the last time we checked we had four hundred logged-in listeners who want to listen in to the show and ask questions!"

The admin leaves again to head the system re-up for the website. I give my boss a big, bright smile telling him (in my head) 'I told you I'd do good!'. My boss looks like he's about to smack me on the head but instead he puts down his hand and places it on my shoulder.

"If this show gets at least a thousand listeners at the end of the show's timeslot then.... we can reconsider about your show."

"Really, boss?!"

"Yes... now get us more listeners!!"

"I'm on it!"

This is it, isn't it? It's time! No more script! No more by-the-book broadcasting! Let's make this show the most real interview.


"Welcome back to Lightning radio with DJ Chen and my guest, Suho, is about to tell us who inspired the creation of his latest album. Now, Suho-sshi, let the listeners know who is the lucky person you've been seeing."

"Uhm... I can't say it now since the person I'm seeing is a non-celebrity."

"Oh! You're being very careful, huh?"

"Yes! Haha!"

"I'm sure this person is very good-looking, right?"

"There are also times the person you love show their own faults."

"Interesting. Tell us more!"

"They can talk for hours and not let you speak a word and also there are times their decision is considered the correct one even though it can be wrong."

"I see... everyone has their faults and it's okay to be imperfect."

"On the contrary, the person I'm seeing is perfect for me. They complete me. I'm hoping they can hear me say this now to them."

"The show currently has six hundred listeners tuned in and your dearly beloved must be listening! It's impossible they aren't!"

"I dunno... these days the one I'm dating doesn't want to speak with me or listen to me."

"Why is that?"

"Because of my busy schedule, they've been upset with me."

"You're a famous man! I'm sure they understand."

"That's not an excuse. As a person in love, you should make time. If you truly love the person, every second with them is precious... every second I spend with the one I love is precious..."

I see Suho's eyes getting watery.  I hand him a box of tissues and he grabs one and wipes a tear. The listeners are increasing by the minute and this is definitely a good sign! I'm so glad I don't have to use the script but of course air time means commercial time and I need to give us a break before we can continue on to the next segment. I bid the listeners a goodbye for now and tell them we'll be back after a few commercials and then we're off the air. Suho stands up and leaves the booth for a while. His manager asks what's wrong and the former tells him to not follow. I, on the other hand, don't listen to anyone and follow where Suho is going--the bathroom.

I close the bathroom door and lock it leaving only me and Suho inside the men's bathroom. After checking if the cubicles are occupied (and confirming we are indeed alone) I go and hug Suho from behind. I feel sorry for putting him on the spot like that. Making him talk about what's in his heart on a public broadcast... this is too raw for a DJ to reveal. 

This is too personal for him to tell to other people.

This isn't what boyfriends do to each other.

"You mean it, right? Everything you said earlier... it's the truth?"  I ask him.

"...yeah..."

"Then why didn't you tell me before?"

"...because... I felt terrible for leaving you alone already... I didn't want to feel more guilty than I already do."

I release him from my back hug and turn him around. I dry his tears with my thumbs as my palms rest on his cheeks. Kim Junmyeon, the singer I am in love with, feels guilty for breaking his promises to me. Every date we'd arrange he'd miss because he's busy preparing his album. For a month he doesn't return my calls or text me back on time... he's always saying 'sorry' to me but never doing anything about it. I understood him and his craft but there are times any person in a relationship will question if it's the lover or their work. It's a selfish question but everyone goes through this at least once. 

"No, it's okay. The hard part's over."

"This is the first time we've seen each other in a month. I'm sorry it had to be this way..."

"It's fine. Maybe we should've thought of this sooner."

"Shouldn't we get back?"

"There's a couple of minutes left before we go back on air. I don't want you coming out looking like a cry baby."

I grab a couple of tissues and wipe his wet cheeks. This handsome face looks really ugly when it swollen and covered in tears. Am I not allowed to insult him? He's my boyfriend. He'll love me even if I insult him. He knows I do it out of affection for him. After he calms himself and finds his smile back, we exit the locked bathroom and enter the booth again. Everyone asks me what happened and I just say we had our own private man-to-man talk. 

We continue the show pretending the drama was just part of the script. We acted as casual as possible and the listeners bought it. Hmm... I hope they did.

"Now we'll be reading messages from the listeners. Suho-sshi, would you like to read some for us?"

"User 540 said 'Suho-oppa must really be in love... whoever she is, she must be lucky.'"

"User 540, let me tell you... whoever is with Suho-sshi is an unlucky--"

"Hey!"

"I mean one lucky person. Hehe. Next! User 809 said 'Chen-oppa, you and Suho-oppa seem close! How do you know each other?' Good question. How do we know each other, Suho-sshi?"

"Hmm... I think we met at a common friend's party, right?"

"Yeah, that's right. We met each other through that friend and just hung out after that. It's one decision I regret to this day."

"Chen-sshi!!"

"Hehehehe. Next one!"

"User 771 said 'Suho-oppa, take a picture with Chen-oppa to prove your friendship!'"

We both look at each other and laugh. The requests from listeners are just hilarious. We decide to fulfill her wish and take a few selcas. We use one of the staff's phones and take a couple of shots but Junmyeon being very particular with the angle adjusts my hand and takes the picture.

Even three selcas isn't enough. We take a few more and we stick our heads together. We do look good together, I'm proud to say. My boyfriend is just ridiculously handsome... this is really unfair.


Before we knew it, the show's time is almost up and we're about to close the show.

"Doesn't time fly, Suho-sshi?"

"Yeah, it does."

"Did you have fun?"

"I did! I'm surprised!"

"I'm hoping Lightning Radio can have more fun episodes like this but for now we bid you a farewell, Chenderallas. I'd like to thank Suho-sshi for coming to the booth and gracing us with his presence."

"And I'd like to thank you for keeping me company!"

I scratch the back of my head and just smile. Maybe Suho means to say it as a guest or he may mean it in another way. 

I greet my listeners goodbye and we remove our headsets with a sigh of relief. The next DJ comes in and it's SNSD's Sunny who is after us. We both greet her with warm smiles and Suho starts chatting with her. Since they're both singers, of course they know each other better. I look at Suho and just smile. This man can make me smile even when he's just talking to others. 


The fate of the show is on the number of listeners. Did I reach the number? Did a thousand people tune in? The mics are off and the commercials are on. I exit the booth and wait for my boss to speak. My boss is checking on the radio's website to check the stats and he looks at me with a blank stare. What?! Is this good news or bad news?!

"Jongdae-sshi..."

"Y-Yes?"

"See me tomorrow and we'll talk about redoing the concept of your show."

"WHAT?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! THANK YOU, BOSS!! THANK YOU!!!!!" 

I hug my boss and jump up and down out of happiness. He grunts and tries to get away but I hug him even tighter. I know he adores me, he just can't show it. I can hear the staff laughing. I release my boss and I high five all of my co-staff.

Thanks to Kim Junmyeon, Lightning Radio will be back on the air again real soon!

I started my day off wondering if I'll even continue working as a DJ and in the end, I had nothing to worry about! I leave the building with a smile on my face but I look at Junmyeon with a question in mind.

"So... I'm a non-celebrity to you, huh?"

He avoids my question and rushes to the car.

"Hey! Get back here! I asked you something and I expect an answer! YAH! KIM JUNMYEON!"


Author's Note

The photos of Chen and Suho guesting on Sunny's radio show just made me want to write this fanfic. SuChen is not a popular ship and I'm okay with it. I just ship them and whoever ships them, BLESS YOU ALL!

I just wrote this without intending it to be really perfect or anything so bear with me if there are mistakes in spelling. Just ignore it all. I'll get back to it eventually. I always re-read my fics :))

There's a second/final chapter after this! It will be mature so warning to all you munchkins reading this when you're not supposed to yet XD,

<3 Thanks for reading! Upvote it! Subscribe to it! Comment on it!