Do You Remember?

Do You Remember?

Seohyun is finishing her mommy duties; folding away her son Myungsoo's shirts and putting them neatly into his drawer. She smooths her pink blouse and glances in the mirror as she walks down the upstairs hallway. Ah, am I an ahjumma yet? My looks...Everyone knew Seohyun was aging gracefully. She wasn't that old. Is 35 considered old? To her five year old son, it is. She pulls her light caramel colored hair loose from its ponytail and sits down on the bed her and her husband share each night. As she's going over the list of things she has left to do, something sparkling catches her eye. She looks at it for a moment, trying to identify what the thing is in her closet without having to get up. She sighs and gives in, walking over and crouching to pick it up. Omo, is this...? A memory box, Seohyun identifies it as. One from years ago. She takes it  back to the bed with her and brushes her hand across the smooth, pink surface. It sparkles with old memories, some she has forgotten. She opens the top, revealing old pictures of SNSD members, letters, her friendship bracelet she had received from Yoona shortly after Girls' Generation had debuted. Then she sees it. A blue envelope, with a yellow smiley face sticker stuck onto it. She knows what it is.
She opens the envelope, feeling her heart become heavy. A picture slips out, fluttering to the floor. Gasping, she bends for it quickly and holds it close to her eyes. Yong Hwa. There he is, smiling at the camera. She had taken this picture, so many years ago. There he is, his eyes full of love for her. She pulls out two more pictures. One of her, and the other of them both together, holding each other's hands and smiling brightly at the camera. Seohyun tries to remember who had taken the picture...Was it Sooyoung? Hyoyeon maybe? It doesn't matter. She misses him, despite the many years that have passed. She can hear her leader, Taeyeon in her ear, saying "Come on, just give him a call. It's innocent, it's innocent."
"It's innocent," she murmurs, pulling her cellphone out of the pocket of her jeans. "It's innocent." As the dial rings, over and over, her thoughts wander. Her husband, who she loves. Her son, who she loves and adores. Her old life, so far away but so close.
"Hello?" Seohyun stops breathing, momentarily stunned. He answered! She didn't think he would. She stutters for a moment. "Seohyun...It's you."
"How could you tell?" she asks, breathlessly.
"You would always stutter in that manner."
"Ah...I've come across some old pictures of us. It made me think of you, Yong Hwa. How are you?" She knows she sounds nervous. He sounds natural.
"I've been good. You're married now, and with a child."
"One on the way." she says, feeling slightly embarrassed as her hand rests on the small, unnoticable baby bump.
"Wow, Seohyun. Congratulations."
Before she thinks, she says, "Do you remember? Remember when we played in the water fountain?" Yong Hwa chuckles.
"I remember, you got sick afterwards."
"That was fun, wasn't it?" There's a silence, Seohyun wants to hang up and pretend she never called.
"Do you remember when we laughed so hard at each other, over that stupid joke I made? I was always making stupid jokes--"
"Because you're stupid!" Seohyun and him laugh together, for the first time in a long time.
"I won't say I miss you, because I love the life I have," she says, smiling at the floor. "but I can say I remember. Do you remember?"
He pauses, she can hear shuffling. And then his laugh. "I remember, always."
"Be well, Yong Hwa." She feels light, like floating on air. His laugh echoes in her head.
"Ah! Seohyun, before you go. Call me often, understand? Let's be good friends from now on."
"I understand," she says, giggling. "Goodbye, stupid." As she hangs up, she smiles at thought of having him as a friend. Of hearing his laugh often. Of maybe even doing stuff with him. Her husband would enjoy that--they have so much in common, she realizes.
"Honey! We're back."
"Mommy!"
Seohyun runs to greet the two best things in her life.