Maybe In Another Lifetime.

Maybe In Another Lifetime.

Luhan was only 16 years old when he was diagnosed with this illness. This illness was incurable. Medicines were used to soothe the pain that he was feeling, if only he could feel anything again. This illness will eventually devour him. He could only surrender. The doctors told him that he only left a few more years. He was so young and felt that life was meaningless for him. He literally lived in the hospital for years. Every day he would sit by the window and look out at the outside world. His condition got worse day by day, he lost his legs. He could not even walk after a year being diagnosed with the illness. He tried to suicide but it failed. He could not bring himself to end his own life. He rarely has visitors, who would want to visit a sick and dying useless child? Days, months and years passed. Luhan was 20 years old. 20 and dying.

One day, he continued his daily routine and looked outside of the window. He noticed a young brunette boy, around the age of 18. He stared at the guy, he was jealous. Yes, jealous is the word. He was jealous about how easily the guy can run or jump. Jealous at everything the brunette could do but he could not. The brunette looked up and saw Luhan staring at him. He waved at Luhan and Luhan was shocked. Did he get caught? He quickly pulls the curtain and looked away.  The brunette felt weird and decided to go to his room. Luhan was looking at the cactus plant that was given by a nurse, and then he heard people knocking on his door. He moved in the wheelchair and opened the door.

It was the brunette. The brunette smiled at him.

“I saw you looking at me. “The brunette said.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to stare at you.” Luhan apologised.

“It’s okay. Anyway, my name is Oh Se Hun. Nice to meet you.” Sehun smiled.

Oh Se Hun.

“My name is Luhan.” Luhan replied back.

Since that day, Luhan found a new friend. Sehun is a total opposite of himself. Sehun is healthy and positive. He learnt a lot about Sehun. About his addiction with bubble tea or his passion in dancing. Sehun would teach Luhan things that he does not know like origami. Sehun never failed to make Luhan laugh, the room itself became more lively. Before Sehun came into his life, the room was dark and gloomy. Sehun’s presence made Luhan’s world more colourful and meaningful. Luhan started to view the world as a loving place. Some days, Sehun will bring Luhan out of his room and to the park.

For the first time in years, Luhan finally felt the sunshine on his skin. It was warm and nice.

I forgot how this felt.

Sehun will then bring him to the shade and they would have their healthy snacks, fruits. Those days were one of the happiest day in Luhan’s life.

“Hyung, do you have any wishes?” Sehun asked.

Luhan looked at the younger boy.

“Why?” Luhan smiled.

“Its just that, I felt like everyone have their own wishes.” Sehun shrugged his shoulders.

Luhan looked up into the sky.

“Well, I do have wishes.” Luhan smiled.

“What is it?” Sehun asked eagerly.

“I wish that I could be like the flowers.” Luhan looked over the snowdrops.

Sehun looked at the snowdrops and Luhan,

“Why?”

“The reason is very simple. You see, snowdrops only bloom in winter. But they still survived and showed their most beautiful side in this harsh winter.”

Sehun nodded.

“But hyung, they only bloom in winter. How about in other seasons?” Sehun asked.  

Luhan looked at Sehun and just smiled,

“We should go in now. It’s getting cold.”

Sehun nodded and helped Luhan to push his wheelchair.

The happy days does not last long. Luhan’s condition worsened. His ability to speak became worse. He can talk but the words were barely heard. Sehun will still go to Luhan’s room to massage him and read stories to him every night. Sehun’s voice was everything Luhan needed. Every time he heard his voice, he felt calm. Sehun will sometime sing for Luhan. Luhan just smiled, it’s everything he could do right now. Little did Luhan know, he was falling for Sehun. Just his presence can make his day better even in his current condition. He wished days like this could last longer but reality slapped him hard.

Day by day, his vision became worse. He could not see an object clearly and his vision went blur. Despite that, Sehun still came over to accompany Luhan. Sehun could easily give up but he does not know what kept him going. His eyes shut his vision down. Now he could not see Sehun’s flawless face, all he could see was pitch black. Luhan will touch Sehun’s face in order to prevent him from forgetting how good Sehun looked like. But he would always stop before he touched Sehun’s lips. Luhan always smiled after he touched Sehun’s face.

Luhan’s smile was like a drug. Every time Luhan smiled, Sehun’s heart skipped a beat. His face flushed, he felt happy. Sehun will always play with Luhan’s fingers and weirdly, he really liked touching his hands. Every touch brought a little spark. Sehun was basically taking care of Luhan. He will feed him like a baby. He never felt this happy before. He then realized that he was falling in love with Luhan.

It was too late. Time does not stop there. Time does not let Luhan express his feelings. The doctor stopped by every day to check on Luhan’s condition and every time they finished checking Luhan’s body, he shook his head. He told Sehun that Luhan does not have much days left, the longest he could live was a few more days. Sehun’s world crushed right in front of him. His knees were weak. His face turned pale. Tears gathered at his eyelashes. He approached Luhan,trying his very best to hold back those tears. 

Luhan reached out his hands and held Sehun’s hands. It was like Luhan asking Sehun,

What did the doctor said?

Sehun held back his tears and patted Luhan’s hand.

“The doctor did not said anything.”

Luhan’s head cocked sideway,

Are you sure?

Sehun smiled,

“Yes.”

Luhan smiled a little. Luhan could not see how bitter and painful Sehun’s smile is. Sehun’s tears fell silently down his cheeks. Luhan reached out to touch Sehun’s face. It was wet. Sehun was waiting for his reaction but Luhan just gave him a smile. He caressed Sehun’s cheeks and wiped away the tears, Sehun could not hold back any longer. Sehun burst into tears. Luhan patted Sehun’s head and tears ran down his pale cheeks.

Luhan predicted this, but it came too fast. He had so much in his mind that he wanted to tell Sehun. Sehun finally gathered up his courage and confessed to Luhan.

“Hyung, I-I…I like you.”

What?

“Do you like me?”

Sehun bit his lips as he carefully watching Luhan. Luhan softly nodded and gave him the smile that made his heart skipped a beat. Sehun sat beside Luhan’s bed and kissed him on his forehead. The moment felt like forever. Or at least they hoped it would last forever. Sehun then made Luhan a handmade ring with fake snowdrop as the topping. He put it on Luhan’s finger, Luhan touched the ring and tears started running down. Sehun kissed the tears away and Luhan’s lips.

Luhan felt so loved. He is loved. But why now? Why not earlier? 

Sehun stayed overnight every day. Every night he would recite his corny love poems to Luhan.

“Love is,

When I first met you.

When I first saw your eyes.

When I first saw your smile,

When I first kissed you.”

 

“The stars are beautiful,

Because they shine in darkness.

But you are more beautiful,

Because you light up my life.”

 

“The bees will buzz,

The birds will chirp,

The flowers will bloom,

For I will always love you.”

 

“The day I will stop loving you,

Is the day the Earth will stop rotating.”

 

“Sehun and Luhan,

I’ll call us Hunhan,”

 

“Let us be strong,

For our tomorrow.”

 

Every night, they would talk to each other, or the truth is Sehun talking to Luhan without any obvious response.

“I love your smiles.”

I love yours too.

“Your voice is heavenly.”

Yours are sweet.

“Let’s get married and have kids.”

If we could, yes.

“Let’s have 2 daughters and 2 sons.”

Sure.

“On our anniversaries, let’s have a nice dinner.”

With your favourite food, steak.

“Let’s grow old together.”

I wish.

“We can share our love story to our grandchildren.”

Can we?

“We can laugh at each other’s old and wrinkled face.”

If I could grow old.

“My love will never fade out.”

Mine too.

“I love you.”

I love you more.

“Forever.”

Forever.

 

Sehun was holding Luhan in his embrace.

"Lu, the weather is so nice."

Luhan’s breath became shallow. Sehun quickly called the doctor and they gave him an oxygen mask. They shook their head and looked at Sehun.

“It’s time.”

Sehun’s tears immediately ran down his cheeks. He looked at his Luhan, Luhan’s mouth was moving. He removed the oxygen tank and leaned closer to hear what Luhan was saying.

“I can’t hear you. Don’t speak.” Sehun was crying.

Luhan held Sehun’s face and gathered his last breath before going away with a smile,

“Thank you, I’ll love you forever. Maybe in another lifetime.”