Chapter Six

Can you hear me?

 

The grip on Kyungsoo's neck tightened with Baekhyun's desperation, as well as the press of his lips.

 

Kyungsoo had to push his best friend with more force than he intended to.

 

 

Baekhyun...”

 

 

His friend buried his face in Kyungsoo's neck again, still sobbing quietly.

Even if you don't love me the same way as I do... please, run away with me.”

 

 

Kyungsoo carressed his long time friend's head lovingly. He felt overwhelmed by guilt and sorrow.

 

 

I can't...”

 

 

Baekhyun hugged him tighter, “Is it because of him?”

 

 

Kyungsoo sighed and nodded, Baekhyun's hug got even tighter.

 

Why him, why not me?”

 

 

Kyungsoo felt Baekhyun's tears on his neck.

 

I am so sorry...”

 

 

They stayed like this for a few more minutes, when suddenly there was an uproar outside on the floor. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun heard how people run from one side of the floor to the other, some were hastily shouting something inaudibly, some were crying.

 

 

Kyungsoo opened the door with his heart beating against his ripcage, to see what the tumult was about.

 

Baekhyun pulled him back, “Stay here”, and closed the door after himself.

 

 

Kyungsoo pressed his ear against the door, doubts and anxiety seizing hold of him.

In his mind, he played out different ways to get to Jongin.

 

 

In this moment, Baekhyun returned, a blank expression on his face.

 

Baekhyun, what happened?”

 

Kyungsoo had to shake his friend back to reality. “Baekhyun!”

 

 

The king,” Baekhyun mumurmed in a whispering voice, “The king is dead.”

 

 

 

“The king... is dead?”

 

 

Kyungsoo needed a moment to realize what Baekhyun just said. A thousand thoughts run through his mind, all disturbed when someone opened the door with force.

 

Chanyeol quickly closed the door behind him, leaning against it. He was completely out of breath, his eyes wide in shock.

 

 

Kyungsoo, Baekhyun...“, he tried to catch his breath.

 

We know.“, Baekhyun answered.

 

 

Chanyeol nodded, „We have to get out of here. Quickly.“

He grabbed Kyungsoo's arm and pulled him towards the door. Just when he wanted to open the door, it was pushed opened, royal guards storming into the room.

 

 

Neither Kyungsoo, nor Baekhyun or Chanyeol could react before there were grabbed by two guards respectively and harshly removed.

 

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

Kyungsoo struggled, he tried to break free from the firm grip.

The head royal guard stepped in front of him.

 

Better keep quiet. It's for your own good.“, he said in a quiet, but firm and strict voice.

 

 

Kyungsoo knew him. The guard was in charge of protecting the prince. No person other than him was allowed to be that close to the royal.

 

 

Something in the guard's eyes told Kyungsoo that he and the other two were save, so he let the warden pull him down the hall, past crying maids and hysterical scholars, to a part of the castle he never visited before.

 

 

 

- - - - - - - -

 

 

 

Jongin faintly heard some voices outside his cell. He curiously stood up and approached the cell door as close as possible.

 

 

A presentiment of danger took over him, even though he couldn't explain this feeling.

Jongin heard how instructions were shout to people, to keep calm and to meet in the grand hall for an assembly.

 

 

The chain enclosing Jongin's wrist cut into his flesh, when he tried to get closer to the door.

 

In this moment, the door was opened and two guards entered the cell.

 

 

What happened?“, Jongin asked, but he was just grabbed by his arms and released from his chain.

 

You will get to know soon enough. The new king demands of your presence.“

 

The new... king?“

 

The guard huffed without answering, dragging Jongin outside the cell.

 

 

- - - - - - -

 

 

Kyungsoo was alone in the room. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were brought to another room, but the head guard garanteed him that his two friends were save and he had no reason no doubt him. He asked the guards about the late king, but no answer was provided to him, except of that he should have some patience. Kyungsoo worried about the new situation, he worried about Jongin, although he was sure that he was protected.

 

 

He curiously looked around the room he never was before. It looked like the sleeping chamber of the prince, just with more personal properties. Kyungsoo wandered around, standing in front of the book shelf. He was surprised to see several art books. Kyungsoo never saw the prince reading such a book. He saw different paintings, made of oil and coal, little sculptures of clay and wire.

 

 

Then he discovered an old photo, of a small smiling boy in the arms of a young and beautiful woman. Besides them was a strict looking, but smiling man, who securely laid his hand on the woman's shoulder. Kyungsoo saw the prince's facial features in this kid. The prince who now was a king.

 

 

He quickly put the frame back to its place when he heard someone entering the room. Kyungsoo thought that it was a guard, so that he almost forgot to bow out of astonishment when the new king entered.

 

The heir entered the room in his asive elegance and authority.

He stood in front of Kyungsoo for a few seconds, before he allowed him to raise his head.

 

 

Kyungsoo saw red lines surrounding the heir's eyes. Kyungsoo lowered his head again.

I want to express my deep regret about your lost, your majesty. I am...“, Kyungsoo was lost for words. He knew how the young man in front of him must feel. Kyungsoo himself lost his mother and was devastated.

 

 

I know how you must feel.“, he said.

 

 

King Sehun took the photo Kyungsoo looked at before into his hands. He sadly put the frame back on the shelf after a moment.

 

He turned around to Kyungsoo, „Thank you. He was a strict and demanding man, but he was my father. It is a loss to our whole country.“

 

 

Kyungsoo nodded in acknowledgment.

 

 

What happened to him?“

The new king sighed in regret, „It was an accident. He and his fellowship were on their way home when they encountered a mudflow in the yunan forest. They were all buried, no one survived.“

 

 

He took a deep breath.

 

 

Now I am forced to be king, much sooner than I expected and much sooner than I whished. I have to accept my faith and take it as a new chance. As a new beginning for this country.“

 

 

Kyungsoo has deep respect for the heir. Who had to restrain himself since early childhood, who was never allowed to show any flaw or weakness. Who now had the responsability for a whole country on his shoulders. And maybe even more.

 

 

I am believing in you, your majesty. You are born to be king, born to unite the people, to bring justice and property to all of us.“

 

 

The king smiled at him, a facial expression that left Kyungsoo in astonishment. He never saw the heir smiling before.

 

Thank you for that, Kyungsoo. It is something I really need right now.“

 

Kyungsoo shyly lowered his head, „I have to thank you, Your Majesty. You always protected me. Me and the people I am close to.“

 

 

The king hummed in acknowledgement and approached Kyungsoo until he stood just half a meter away from him.

 

 

If there is a next life, I wished I had a friend like you, Kyungsoo.“

 

Kyungsoo raised his head, to smile back at the king.

 

Me too.“

 

Would you do me a favor, Kyungsoo?“

 

Anything.“

 

Would you just once call me by my name?“

 

Kyungsoo breath hitched, „I...“

When he saw the king's sincere face, when he saw his longing eyes that were searching for something, Kyungsoo felt a stitch in his chest.

 

 

Me too, I always wished that I had a friend like you. I respect you deeply.“

 

The king sadly smiled at him. Kyungsoo knew that they had to part ways soon.

 

I wish you the best. You have a long and hard way ahead of you, but you are the strongest and most capable person I know. I like you a lot, Sehun.“

 

Kyungsoo saw that the king wanted to take a step forward, but then restrained himself.

 

 

Thank you, this means a lot to me. And now it is my turn to do something that will mean a lot to you... Junmyeon.“

 

 

The head guard entered the room immediately.

 

Yes, your Majesty?“

 

Bring him in.“

 

Yes, your Majesty.“

 

The guard bowed and left the room.

 

 

Kyungsoo was in joyful anticipation. Was it possible that he was now able to meet Jongin again?

 

 

My people are in uproar right now. They are unsure and afraid, they need structure and secureness right now. They want me to deal with the alleged spy and his ally.“

 

Kyungsoo nodded in comprehension.

 

I will afford your and Kim Jongin's escape. You can choose the destination, so that you will be able to start anew. I am sorry that I can't protect you otherwise.“

 

Thank you for everything you have done for me.“

 

 

Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he was allowed to do this, but he stepped forward to take the king in a warm embrace.

 

The heir was obviously taken aback, but then he relaxed in Kyungsoo's arms and returned the hug.

 

 

Kyungsoo let go after a few seconds and instantly felt that he would deerly miss this wonderful and strong person.

 

King Sehun straightened his back and returned to his strict facial expression, when someone knocked on the door.

 

Come in.“

 

 

Kyungsoo's heart nearly jumped out of his chest, when Jongin entered the room, immediately approaching him with quick steps and taking him into his arms.

 

I missed you so much.“, Jongin whispered, burying his nose in Kyungsoo's neck.

 

 

I missed you too.“

 

 

The king caughed slightly, „I will leave you alone now. My people need me now as a leader.“

The king was about to leave the room, when he turned around to Kyungsoo and Jongin again.

 

I wish you two the best. I hope that our paths will cross in future again.“

 

They both bow in deep respect of the new king.

 

 

When the heir left the room, Jongin tightly held Kyungsoo's hand and smiled at him.

 

 

Stop staring, Jongin. I know that I am cute and atrractive.“

 

Jongin started to laugh and took Kyungsoo into a second warm embrace.

 

You are indeed.“

 

He kissed Kyungsoo's cheek, „Will you come with me?“

 

I will“

 

 

- - - - - -

 

 

 

 

 

next chapter will be the last one. thank you for reading <3