Chapter Two

Can you hear me?

 

- - - - - - -

 

The next time Kyungsoo entered the cell, there wasn't a smiling Jongin waiting for him. Instead he saw him wriggling on the floor.

 

Kyungsoo immediately put the tray on the floor and rushed to the heavily panting man. Jongin was sweating immensely.

 

He lifted the man's shirt and pushed the bandage aside to see the now infected wound. Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows, he had to do something.

 

He rushed to the door and stormed outside, the moment Yixing opened the door. He hurried upstairs, up the corridor to his room he shared with Baekhyun and that was located within the castle. Hastily he rummaged through his belongings to find the medicine he was looking for.

 

He stuffed the small bottle into his pocket and rushed back to the cell.

 

Kyungsoo, what are you doing?“, Yixing asked, when Kyungsoo was back and demanded that the guard should open the door.

 

I will explain later.“

 

Yixing was obviously disapproving, but let him in nonetheless.

 

Kyungsoo kneeled down next to Jongin, the head of the shivery man in his lap.

 

He pushed the head of the bottle between his lips and poured the liquid into Jongin's mouth.

 

'Drink“, Kyungsoo thought with worry.

 

Jongin had his eyes closed but slowly drank the liquid. Kyungsoo wiped the excessive liquid on Jongin's mouth away with his thump.

His breathing became calmer and Kyungsoo was relieved.

 

Kyungsoo took off his cardigan and pushed it under Jongin's head, carefully placing him back on the floor. Kyungsoo watched him for a whole while, until Yixing knocked on the door.

 

Kyungsoo closed the door behind him and faced Yixing's questioning look.

 

I know... just don't tell anybody.“

 

Kyungsoo...“

 

Please, Yixing.“

 

The guard didn't say anything, so Kyungsoo took a last look at the door of Jongin's cell and went back to the kitchen.

 

 

 

- - - - - -

 

With a tray in his hand, some fresh grapes in his pocket and a fluttering heart, Kyungsoo entered the cell.

 

Kyungsoo was expecting that Jongin was sleeping, but the man was sitting upright, smiling. A tired smile, but it was still radiating.

 

Kyungsoo wanted to ask how he felt, wanted to rush to him, to feel if his fever sank completely. But he couldn't.

 

He was standing at the door, until Jongin said, „You are back. I missed you. And it seems that you missed me too.“

 

Kyungsoo lowered his head and hoped that Jongin couldn't see his flushed cheeks.

 

Kyungsoo kneeled down and pushed the tray towards Jongin who gladly accepted the fresh bread.

While he ate the bread, Kyungsoo took out the small bottle and held it out to the other.

 

What is this?“

 

Kyungsoo didn't respond, just kept on holding the bottle for Jongin to take it.

 

Medicine?“

 

Kyungsoo nodded.

 

You took care of me yesterday, right?“

 

Jongin's gaze was piercing. Kyungsoo wasn't able to look away from his mesmerizing eyes.

 

I won't drink it.“

 

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows in disbelief.

Jongin broke the eye contact and nipped at the bread.

 

Kyungsoo couldn't understand why Jongin would refuse to drink the antipyretic liquid.

 

Tell me your name and I will drink it.“

 

Kyungsoo lowered his hand. Why would Jongin want to know his name? Why would he want him to talk?

 

I... just want to know your name. I want to hear your voice.”

 

Kyungsoo still hesitated.

 

They sat in silence for a while, until Kyungsoo sighed, and slowly said

My name is Kyungsoo.“

 

Jongin wasn't expecting an answer, so he got startled when he heard the other talk.

 

Kyungsoo...“, Jongin repeated and smiled.

He leant forward to grab the bottle, while brushing his hand with Kyungsoo's.

 

Kyungsoo watched how Jongin gulped down the liquid, staring at his adam's apple, bobbing up and down.

 

I know that I am attractive, stop staring, Kyungsoo.“

 

Kyungsoo looked down in shame, he felt caught in the act.

 

But Jongin just laughed at him, a sound that sent many sparks down Kyungsoo's back.

 

You can talk to me now, you know. I won't tell.“

 

Kyungsoo sighed, he was already in too deep.

 

Let me see your wound then.“, he said and got up to kneel besides the other.

 

Jongin lifted his shirt and Kyungsoo examined the wound with a frown, „I will clean the wound again, and put some more antiseptic...“

 

Kyungsoo couldn't say when Jongin leant in, but he knew that he did when he felt soft and plush lips at the corner of his mouth.

 

Thank you, Kyungsoo. For all what you do for me.“

 

Kyungsoo blushed furiously and rushed out of the cell, holding his breath. Leaning against the closed door, he thought that his heart would stop beating any moment.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

Kyungsoo was silent for the rest of the day. Baekhyun knew that something was off, but Kyungsoo just told him, “It is nothing”, and went on to prepare the food for the next dinner.

 

Baekhyun was worried about his friend, but he knew that it was the best to leave him alone for the moment.

 

 

- - - - - - - - -

 

The next morning, Kyungsoo got up tired. He couldn't sleep half of the night because a certain someone invaded his thoughts and dreams.

 

Deep inside, Kyungsoo knew what his thumping heart meant. And he knew that he was in trouble.

 

He resisted to form a proper thought about his feelings, because when he did, these thoughts would be real. So he tried to shake off these thoughts and slowly got up to get dressed for work.

 

Baekhyun was already in the kitchen, when Kyungsoo arrived.

 

Gooood moorning, my little fluffball!”, Kyungsoo endured the bone crushing hug and let Baekhyun tosle his hair.

How are you feeling?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled at him, “I am okay, thanks.”

 

Baekhyun smiled back at him and gave him a reassuring squeeze.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was greatful that Baekhyun distracted him with his non-stopping chatter and his “Oh, come on, there are hilarious!”-stories.

 

They distracted him until the head maid stormed into the kitchen and hissed at Kyungsoo if he already brought the prisoner food and water.

 

I will do it now.”, Kyungsoo told her and sighed when she left the kitchen.

 

Should I bring it to him?”, Baekhyun asked with a worried face.

 

But Kyungsoo shook his head, “No, thanks. I … want to see him.”

 

He smiled at Baekhyun and took a cup to fill it with fresh water, placing it on a tray.

Baekhyun nudged Kyungsoo's side and put a piece of sweet bread on the tray.

 

 

- - - - - - -

 

Kyungsoo hesitated for a few moments in front of the heavy cell door.

 

Yixing frowned at him, but didn't utter a word. When Kyungsoo smiled at him, he opened the door to let him in.

 

Kyungsoo heard how Jongin moved, but he tried to avoid eye contact.

He put the tray on the floor and pushed it towards Jongin.

 

I missed you, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo didn't move and didn't say anything.

 

Jongin waited for a while, then he sighed, “You are mad at me.”

 

Kyungsoo heard how Jongin moved forwards, but he was still avoiding eye contact.

 

Jongin wasn't reaching for the bread or the cup of water, instead he leant forward as much as the chains let him, “Kyungsoo, look at me, please.”

 

Kyungsoo counted ten heartbeats until he did.

 

Kyungsoo heart stopped beating, until Jongin said, “I am sorry, that I... kissed you. I am just really thankful what you do for me. I... didn't know how I should express my gratitude in another way.”

 

I am once more officially apologizing for kissing you, Kyungsoo. Next time I kiss you is when you want me to.”

 

Kyungsoo blushed, but couldn't hold in a smile.

 

Jongin's cheeky smile was soon replaced by a warm one.

 

So, please talk to me again?”

 

Kyungsoo pointed to the bread, “Eat first.”

 

Jongin's smile spread over his whole face when he reached for the bread and bit a big piece off.

Kyungsoo watched how Jongin greedily gulped down the food. He didn't know exactly why, but he felt at ease.

 

He took at the fresh grapes he wasn't able to give Jongin the last time.

 

Jongin eyed the fruit and frowned, “Are you sure you don't get in trouble because of me?”

 

Kyungsoo didn't know why, but he didn't care about that. He shrugged, “Just take them, they are delicious.”

 

Jongin reached for the grapes and made sure to touch Kyungsoo's hand in the process.

 

Kyungsoo...”

 

Kyungsoo tried to withstand Jongin's intense stare.

 

Don't do this for me anymore. I don't want to put you at risk.”

 

Kyungsoo's heart swelled by these words, he wasn't sure what to say, but he knew that it wasn't necessary when he saw Jongin's smiling face.

 

Kyungsoo watched how Jongin ate the grapes slowly.

 

How... is your wound?”

Jongin smiled at him, “It is better, thanks to you.”, he lifted his shirt so that Kyungsoo could see that the wound was almost completely closed.

 

How do you know about these things? Are you... perhaps a healer?”

 

Kyungsoo was surprised how hopeful Jongin's voice sounded.

 

No, I am not. I work in the kitchen here...”

 

Jongin slouched his shoulders.

 

My mother was one.”

 

Jongin's eyes seemed to glow, “She is?”

 

Kyungsoo's voice calmed down, “She was. She died three years ago, but she taught me a few things.”

 

Jongin seemed apologetic, “I am sorry about that.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head and smiled at Jongin.

 

But why are you here? You surely knew about the risk when crossing the border.”

 

Jongin remained silent for a few moments, “I am looking for a particular person.”

 

Who?”

 

But before Jongin could answer, Yixing knocked on the door.

 

Kyungsoo got startled, he wasn't sure how much time has passed.

He quickly took the tray and took a last glance of Jongin who seemed disappointed.

 

I will come back tomorrow”, Kyungsoo whispered and returned Jongin's smile that took his breath away once again.

 

Yixing closed the door after Kyungsoo, “I heard how you talked to him”, the guard hissed.

You did, although you know that it is strictly forbidden.”

 

Kyungsoo just shrugged, but Yixing held his arm, stopping him from walking away, “Kyungsoo, you don't know what you are doing.”

 

I am aware of that.”, Kyungsoo answered and the guard's grip loosened. His eyes followed Kyungsoo how he walked up the stairs and out of the prison area.

 

 

- - - - - - - -

 

Baekhyun noticed the change in Kyungsoo's mood. He didn's ask further, he was just content that his friends seemed to be better.

 

The good mood remained, until the next day.

 

- - - - - - - -

 

What do you think you were doing?”, the head maid almost screamed her lungs out. It was the next day, she came stroming into the kitchen the moment Kyungsoo's shift began.

 

Kyungsoo immediately knew what she was talking about. He just wondered why he didn't feel any remorse like he was supposed to feel.

 

You know that this is treason, right?”, she hissed.

 

Kyungsoo's stomach churned by this word.

 

Kyungsoo didn't want to...”

 

You shut up”, she shouted and interrupted Baekhyun who wanted to help his friend. “Or I will tell on you, too.”

 

Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun an apologetic and grateful look, “It's okay.”

 

Baekhyun wanted to respond something, but he was interrupted once again, “Leave the kitchen. I have a few things I want to talk about with our little traitor.”

 

Baekhyun left after Kyungsoo pushed his arm and told him to leave.

 

The kitchen maid took a bundle out of her pocket and opened it. It was the bandage Kyungsoo treated Jongin's wound with.

 

I know that it was you”, she spat. “You were the only one who entered the prisoner's cell. And I heard you even talked to him.”

 

Kyungsoo didn't utter a word. He just endured her next words.

 

I have to report this to the prince, I hope you are aware of this.”

 

She slowly walked out of the kitchen and let Kyungsoo standing alone in the middle of the cold kitchen.

 

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - -

 

 

 

 

soo next chapter is up :D please read and let me know what you think :D

*kisses every one of you*