final

Brightest Road

She was, still is, the brightest star ever shine. She’s the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen in my life.

 

Her name is Seungwan.

She lost her sight at age 17th, after her daddy’s car collided with a bus. Not only her eyes, she lost her parents too, her little sister, even her lover, but still her cheery laugh can be heard every minute we’re together.

I met her in a sunny day in July, couple months after the accident. You would never know that a tragic accident just happened to her if you see her that day. She came to me with bright smile plastered on her beautiful face, still very much pale and looked ill with both eyes closed, but still beautiful nevertheless. I still remember how soft her touches, how lovely her voice when she whispered to me,

“let’s go home, Chanyeollie.” For the first time of my life, my heart jumped so high just because a girl called my name.

 

Seungwan’s day would started with a little stretching while yawning cutely on her bed then get up and walking to the bathroom which she memorized how many steps it’ll took to get there by heart. Seungwan could be passed as normal person in her own house, she can walks around freely like there’s no problem with her eyes. She only needs me, when she wants to get some place outside.

Seungwan is really independent girl, she even can reheat her food by herself but every time she did that Juhyeon nuna will scold her and made her pout. But that’ll only last for about 3 second; she’ll be all sunny again whenever I coming to her side, and let her hug me or kissed me while cooing cutely.

“Only Chanyeollie who wouldn’t be mad and will be proud instead when I did something by myself.”

True that.

I’m so proud of her no matter what she has done.

After getting a fresh bath she usually will sit near the window and waiting for Juhyeon nuna, then we will get a nice breakfast together. After that Seungwan is either going to the community center or just stayed at home, catching up on her new book while listening to the old song that reminds her of her late family. Sometimes she’ll cry, it’s usually at a cheery Sinatra’s song which her lover sung at her last birthday party with her family.

At the time like that, I can’t do anything but quietly sit beside her and hoping her tears will stop falling. I really want to say something, something that will made her laugh in instance but what will coming out from my mouth is only a soft bark instead of soothing words.

 

We usually go to a café that her friend owns. This friend, Seulgi, is the sweetest girl in the world, after Seungwan of course. Usually other café owner would never let me in and Seungwan will just left me outside and grab her coffee without even had a little chat with people there, but Seulgi will always let me in. she even poured some water and cookies for me. There’s a special spot at the inner corner of the café for me and Seungwan, it’s a nice two chaired table near window. We can feel the quiet buzz of lunch break, but people can’t really see us, perfect place for me and Seungwan.

There Seungwan can read her book, or if she had her stylus with her, she can write two and three pages of her autobiography. Meanwhile I can get a nice nap or another snack round from Seulgi or her cute employee Sooyoung. After 3 or good 4 hours we will go back home with happy heart.

Sometimes Seungwan will force me to take a bath, it usually ends up with both of us getting wet without really taking a bath. Juhyeon nuna would scold us again but in the end she would join us playing in the water. And after that our long day has officially ended with Seungwan carefully traces my face and plant a kiss between my eyes, wishing me a good night and sweet dreams then sleep.

 

Sometimes, we will go a little bit further than the café, even further than the community center. Seulgi would join us. She would bring pretty white colored flowers which always makes me sneezes whenever Seulgi bring them too close to my nose. I would jokingly bark at her, but that sweet but funny girl will just laugh, but saying that she’s sorry after that.

Together with one pretty nuna that I recognize her as Seungwan lover’s nuna, they took a pretty long ride (too long ride for my liking tbh) until we reached the border of the country to the very big field with many funny stones sticking out of the ground. The girls would visit a complex of three stones first, putting the flowers on the foot of the rocks and stay silent for a moment. They will cry, shared a couple of hugs then moved on to the next stone.

I know this stone, and those three stones. Seungwan told me that her beloved ones were buried underneath those stones. I never know that human do such things that I always did to my treasure too! But burying treasure for me, is to keep them save and I will took them back if I need them. Humans are weird, once they bury something they will never took it back above the ground. Seungwan never tried to dig her treasure, although I’m really sure she want to see them who she buried there. Once I tried to do that for her, Seungwan lover’s nuna just scolded me while crying. Told me that I’m just as stupid as him who once called by my name.

After another round of sobbing and hugging, we always had a picnic below the warmth of the sun. Seulgi will play fetch with me while Seungwan and her lover’s nuna chatted about the great old times. Sometimes I noticed my name between their words, I would bark happily every time they called me and nuna would “shut up, yeol!” me. But I know she’s not really angry because she said that all smiled.

 

And every time we got back from that place, Seungwan would be very happy. She will hum her favorite song, the same Sinatra song that usually made her sad. And she would tell me how she missed her parents, her sister, and her Chanyeol.

Her Chanyeol that isn’t a white Labrador. Her Chanyeol that sung sinatras’s Something Stupid. Her Chanyeol that was buried under the stone we visited hours ago.

“I love him, Chanyeol-ah. I miss him. If only we both died that night. If only he didn’t throw himself to save me. If only I didn’t ask me to join our family annual outing. I will give my everything if it could bring him back to my side. Even my life.”

Me too, I will give my everything to make Seungwan happy.

“Why didn’t we both died? It’s easier that way.”

Why do you want to die? Am I not enough company for you?

She will cry and cried until she eventually get tired and fallen asleep.

 

 

One day, Seungwan go to sleep and didn’t wake up. Even after I barked so loud, even after I bite her skirt and pull it harshly. She usually wakes up the moment the first bird chirped outside the window. It’s very strange. And I know there’s something really wrong happened here. So I run. As fast as I can to the nearest door. But no one answered me.

So I run. Run faster and faster.

Faster, and faster.

Fast.

The cold harsh December wind and the smell of the 1st snow is the last thing I remember.

 

 

 

 

-epilog-

 

I woke up with a strange feeling. It’s like I’m not in my own body. I can’t feel my legs, or my tail.

“Where am I?” I barked but strangely the old human doctor seemed to understand me.

“Bed. Obviously.” He said with a great amount of jokes on his words.

“Wait, you understand me?” he stopped from whatever he did and turned his face to me, stares like I’m the weirdest creature he ever seen in his life. But he still answered my question anyway.

“Sure, unless you speak different Korean from my standard.”

 

At that, I feel my head spinning in confusion. Since when do I speak Korean? Since when do I can speak at all?

I just opened my mouth to ask another question when the door swung open and the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen barged in with a big worry plastered on her face. Her eyes opened so wide and glared at me. She stomped her way to me and ignored the old human doctor, shoved him to the side even.

 

“GOD! PARK CHANYEOL! CAN’T YOU BE EVEN STUPIDER?” she yells and grabbed my collar, shook me few times then cried.

“I thought you’re died.” she managed to say between her sobbing.

Wait. I thought YOU’RE dying.

What kind of joke is this?

“don’t.ever.do that.again.” she said softly then lifted her face up and wiped her tears harshly with palm of her hand then pecked my lips.

My lips.

“…..wait… why am I a human?”

Why aren’t you blind?

She rolled her eyes then flicked my forehead.

“Since when do you aren’t human? Park Chanyeol, is this your brand new jokes or what? Am I supposed to laugh at that?”

She just laughed in the end. Then leave me confused behind

.

Later that day, Seulgi came in and told me what happened before I ended up laying helplessly on hospital’s bed with a broken leg, 8 stitches on my torso, and several nasty bruises on my body.

“And you thought it’s cool to save a poor kitty that trapped on an old house roof? That’s just plain stupid oppa.”

Well….

“Thank god there’s nice and cute Labrador that saved your life. She barked on and pulled a man’s sleeve to help you.”

“Really?”

“Yes! She even stayed in the front of the operating room, like your guardian until Seungwan came. She left right after that.”

“Ah, you know whose dog is she?”

“It’s Wendy, Sooyoung’s lab. You do remember her right? Cute white Labrador that you always play fetch with.”

 

And like a sudden lighting right on your skull, an image of pretty, chocolate eyed guide trained Labrador comes to my mind.

In there she barked softly at me and strangely I can understand that.

“Thank you.” She said “I’ve been missing you.”

At that I say

 

“Missed you too”

 

 

-end-

 

i should never write fluff again omg