Chapter 5 "What They Are Made Off"

Am I a lovable Girl?

I couldn't get out from amazement, how did she saved all that money? I almost thought wrongly about her, she was a fish seller at a market, not a lower job, but never thought she could make that ind of money. But, it somehow makes sense, she never had kids nor reason to spend her savings. She was by herself, almost byherself. I was her only family, and she was mine.

I breathed deeply, now I needed to talk with the CEO, I was not exactly sure in how to aproach this. I didn't know what to do, and frankly, I didn't want to lose my positon as a trainee in AnA, not a big one, but still, very valuable for me. I went back as slowly as I could, but not as much as to miss practice. It was dancing. 

We were in hip hop class today, they were doing a type of test, to exactly know in which level of the genre we were at before starting the specific trainning. They warned us, if we were too bad, we needed to speed up our talent. If we were good, they were making us stronger.

I'm not good. I'm going to the bottom of the chart. I haven't take a class in my life, Can I guess some moves before I go in? To not embaress myself? Or would it be worse? As I arrived to the company, I headed towards the CEO's secretary desk, to make an appoinment with her. She wasn´t available that day, so she schedule the meeting for the next day, really early in the morning. I was aready nervous.

I changed my clothing (yes, we must look apropiate for the class), before entering the room I calmed myself. "It's alright, you can do it ", I said at myself. As I entered, the other trainees were still waiting for the class to start, fortunetly. While we were waiting, Got7 entered, our sunbaes. We quickly stood up, and look at each other really confused.

-Aren't we supposed to have class?- someone whispered softly enough for them not to hear but for us to understand.

-I checked it before I came, we have the space- I answered.

-Excuse me?- some other trainee said -Have you reserved the space? If so, we should go- he asked nervously.

-No- Bam Bam said -We are here for class, nor for practice. We need to show all of you something-

We looked at each other again, even more confused. 

-Since we are not preparing for a comeback yet, we had this time free. We were asked to teach you-

What? What is going on? Isn't the test happening today? I look at each of the members from my side of the room, they were amazed. 

-Excuse me- I said, I needed to get out from the mess -If you're here to teach us, are you going to make us the test?-

-Yes- said JB codly -The instructor is coming in an hour, while that, we are here to see what you have-

-See what we have?- I asked

-Yes, we are dance battleing right now-

-What?- all of us trainees said."Too cruel" I thought, How could we possibly battle them? At least we should try.

I looked at Got7's members faces, they looked at home, with smiling faces. But the warm atmosphere was breaking down because of JB, the way he looked at us, it was not nice, like we were making him waste his time.

-All right Sir- I said again -You tell us what we have to do-

-It's pretty simple- said Jackson -We put some music, a random playlist. Once the music starts, one member of each group goes out and dance while showing their moves. You have to followthe music, you have to follow the rythm- he said gently.

-May I speak frankly?- I timidly asked. They looked surprise at my question -Isn't it a bit unfair? We could never go against you in Hip hop-

-Well, you have to- said JB.

-Only in hip hop?-

-You have to dance- he replied anoyyed . I didn't want to keep asking because I might look like defying him, I was just curious. I knew I was going to mess up, but at least I should not do it lowly. I'll have to improvise somehow. Hip hop is a more rough way to show moves, I guess I'll give it a try, if the time comes.

The music begun, we were standing facing each other. We were apprehensive and waiting for the song to play. So it did. As it started, Jackson came out. His moves were strong and flowless, nobody from our side wanted to move up front, so he softly pushed some one. It was one of the guys, they battled a little bit, not competitive enough to win but he did a really good job, We clapped proudly. Suddenly the song switched, it meant, the competitors switched. Mark was next. Smiling, his moves were wide but strong. One of the girls came out, intenting to conterarrest his moves with more delicate and gentle ones according to the rythm, it looked well put together. I was surprised at the potential of our group, from what has been shown so far. After a while, the sixth member came out. We were all jumpy to know who will be next, we all new that JB was one of the best dancers in the company as well as the leader of the group. He came next. Nobody came out, absolutly nobody even blinked. He came closer.

He tried to provoked some of the guys, as well as some of the girls. Some moments softly, some others a bit too far.He was not just dancing, he was more than showing off, he was adding fuel to our insecurities towards him. He was our sunbae, so not one dare to say a thing. I bite my tongue while I took a step foward. I stood in the middle, paralyzed for a couple of seconds. He was dancing around me, like trying to make me look bad. So I remembered, I needed to dance and he didn't say how to, so I used it to my advantage.

Some people think that music is divided by genres, but they are conected. Everyone will be surprise how well hip hop sounds with some classical pieces, I can think about it now. So I started to move, in my own way. I wasn't trying to battle him, considering that I'll never win, but instead, I was complementing him. He moved strongly, I finished his intentions with grace. He jumped, I pique turn around him. He was trying to get ride of me, but I was following him calmly an musicaly accuretly. I did it, I think I did it.

(I suggest to watch this before continue reading, its this type of dancing I'm referring to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNTUilpFzM

I took a quick turne and slipped,he kept dancing around me.I stood up and looked at him straight in the eyes. For a split of a second, I made him understand that this was the first and last time I was going to slip on the floor. Afterwards, I went back to line. Randomly, we all perceived that the instructor had arrived.

-Well, you may have believe that this was all useless. But I believe I made my decision. This was the exam. Right there -he pointed a corner of the room- that camera was recording and tomorrow I will ask each of you to see me and comunicate strenghs,weeknesses and how to improve yourself. You don't want to remain in the bottom, because the competition has already started. Although class has ended, your individual practice time has not-

We needed to make plans about our assigment, we only had 15 days.  We were told that we could ask for help from the other instructors while respecting their schedules. Since some of the Sunbaes were preparing for comebacks, the company was a bit bussy. He moved our way.

-Altough you have been here for one week it doesn't change anything. You have your superiors for assistance, your sunbaes trainees off course. They can explain the knowhow from AnA. So please act accordingly, you have yet a long way to debut, but you are still representing us outside these walls.For now, you're dismissed.-

When Got7 left, we all broke our silence.

-This was crazy! I almost went insaine!- said Young Ji.-This was not my usual self, but I couldn't battle JB sunbae-

-I almost did it, going against JB sunbae? The best dancer in the company? I don't think I could have done it, gladly you helped Doo Ra. Thank you- said Bora.

-I don't think I did a good job, I felt-

-But what you did! You didn't battle him but you won! He was good in provoking others, still, the way you moved, was amazing!- added Bora again.

-I'm not sure. I guess is a form of contemporary dance, to go with the flow- we three laughed.

-Will you teach us?- Young Ji asked.

-Do you want to?- I confirmed.

-I took some basics a while ago- remembered Bora.

-Me too!- added Young Ji -At least we won't start from nothing-

-Off course I will. What we need to tal about is... lets go somewere else- I said.

We went to the cafeteria. It wasn't empty, but free from other trainees.

-What is it- Bora demanded anxiously.

-Do you came up with anything for the mission?- I asked.

-Not really- they both reply unison.

-But I thought of something else- said Bora -What if there is a meaning behind all this? As to combine styles or something-

-Close - I said -But I think that when they said differences they meant us-

-Us?- they said again unison.

-Yes. What we come from is different, our skin colors aare different, but mostly, our talents are diverse. I have an Idea-  said while they still thought in my words -Lets do something out from this box- I said while pointing the walls -Something good but different from avarage monthly evaluation's performances-

-What is it?- Young Ji asked.

-Acappella- I answered.

-What?-

-Yes! Think about it. It's all about using diffrent voices while doing different sounds to make a song, we can also do a mash up! We can syncronize the meaning of the songs and their melody-

-Can we do it?-

-Let's chose the songs first, that will give us a direction to head to-

-I like it- said Bora -I learned a beat boxing from my brother, I can make the background sounds-

-It sounds wonderful!- Young Ji replyied. -We must keep it a secret from the other trainees, should we practice outside of the company?-

-It is not necessary- I denied - We will need to sacrifice some sleep, use the vocal  and practice room early in the morning or late at night, those hours were no one wants to be here-

-First week to put together the songs and learn from acapella. The second one to fully practice the song. Since there will be no choreography, we can use the ractice room for stage postures and such-

We were all excited, the first week we trained our voices a lot while taking care of them apropriatly with beberages and scarfs.

Next day I went to the meeting with the CEO.

-Miss Doo Ra, You made an early appointment with me. WHat is is about?- she asked.

-I'm really thankful- I said -For your kindess in making some time for me. I know you are really bussy-

-Is it really important?-

-Yes, I believe is important-

-Tell me then what it is about-

-You know that I dont have family, it was on my resume in the auditions-

-Yes, we are well aware of your situation-

-Well, the women I considered my family, who helped me through out the years until her passing, left me as her only heiress in a form of composition classes in "kick it" studios-

-Did she really?How considerate of her part. Have you talked with them?-

-Yes, and I have a meeting with her lawyer next week for more details. If you believe it will be more apropiate to cancel them, I will-

-No no, take them. Do you like to compose songs?-

-Yes CEO-

-You didn't said so in your interview. Anyway, as long as it does not interfiere with your training, you may do it silently. The other trainees may not know about it. It'll only cause misuderstandings. Talk about it with your director-

-I will, and Thank you very much!- I almost screamed. I saw her smiling.

I was excited, happy and delighted. I could go back to writing songs, I couldn't ask for anything else.