Unsee the Truth

Unsee the Truth
When it first came out on the news, nobody really paid attention to it.
 
It started with a tanker accident in the outskirts of South Sea. It was all over the news, but everyone thought the same way: it was just another oil spill.
 
Minhyuk was the first victim, a few hours after the first explosion - He was making his rounds at the hospital when he noticed what seemed to be scratch marks done by some sort of a wild animal, nothing like the screaming man in the room, trying to bite at him. He swung his file at him, he did not slow down. 
 
They found out only hours later, nothing but smeared blood on the floor.
 
They said it was an adverse effect to whatever was in that tanker. Some even said they were not transporting fuel, they were carrying a flesh-eating virus out of the country. 
 
Rescue workers were screaming at the news reporters to give way, to warn them but they did not budged, one reporter managed to get onto the ship just as when they cut the door out.
 
There was six minutes of broadcast coming from her microphone. Six minutes of screaming and agony before it all went silent. The ship crew jumped at the rescue workers like rabid baboons. The female reporter was ripped to shreds in seconds. There was nothing but sheer brutality with absolutely no explanation. They tried to continue with regular news, the plummeting economy that will usually anger the people, a cute human interest story and the new amusement park coming up in the fall, however no one could make us unsee the terror. 
 
Yonghwa tried going back to his job, a simple bar he opened with Joohyun so she could continue her wine parlor left by her parents. 
 
"Do you think it's real?" Joohyun piqued, huddling closer to Yonghwa, she was scared, he noticed.
 
He lifted his arms, letting her rest her head as he tried to soothe her worries, but he himself did not know what to believe. "I don't know, baby, but they are not coming near us. See." He said, pointing to the news anchor talking about an infection. "They are still at sea." 
 
 
Four days after the initial report, a sudden state of emergency was raised. We had all seen this, in every single zombie movie ever created, ever released in the cinemas. Yonghwa tried to lie to Joohyun, that everything was still fine, they could still survive, the barricades covering the front door told her otherwise. 
 
Joohyun took a deep breath in an attempt to relax, she cannot afford another panic attack, not right now. She heard Yonghwa putting up a few barricades against their windows - better to be safe, he said. She heard that some tried to flee the country, but just like the movies, none of them survived. They were coming, and they were coming fast. They arrived in their town three days later. 
 
 
"Baby, it's okay." Yonghwa held Joohyun's hand, watching the terror from their house. 
 
They had expected moans, shuffling corpses with dismemberment parts, nothing like the ones on the streets at that moment. They ran through the streets, screeching. Yonghwa rushed to the front door, locking the doors tightly, checking the barricades were in place. Joohyun whimpered, watching the carnage in action. They were unstoppable and they knew that. 
 
She announced they made it through a building across the street. They broke through the tempered glass windows. The shards did not even slow them a bit, they just kept coming. Then it dawns on them, "We're not going to make it." Joohyun cried out, and Yonghwa could not deny it anymore. He pushed her to the back of the house as he rushed to get his supplies and jamming them into the most secure room of their apartment. He went back to the window, taking one last look across the street, he wished he had not. His face met one of theirs, it grinned at him, bearing its teeth covered with blood. "." He cursed, dashing into the room, locking it behind Joohyun. 
 
They did not have any kind of panic room, or a secure room with hundreds of locks but the safest place he could think of was their bathroom. No windows, just one door with a lock. Joohyun sat in the bathtub, softly sobbing in her hands, nothing but the distant screaming coming from beyond the room. 
 
Yonghwa checked his watch, it had been two hours without nothing but the soft breathing coming both of them. "Do you think they are gone?" Yonghwa whispered, running his fingers through Joohyun's hair. He promised her many things when they first got married, none of it related to that moment. 
 
A crash came from the front door, the sound of someone running full force into the door, trying to break down the barrier. There were a few more crashes and Yonghwa knew they were inside. Rapid footsteps moving around the flat, they were screeching, as if to celebrate new meat. He heard a bang on the wall beside them. Yonghwa let Joohyun rest her head on the bag of supplies as he jumped up, using his body weight to hold back the door. They knew their hiding area and they could smell their fear. 
 
There was only so much time before they would break in. "Why won't you open the door?" 
 
A voice on the opposite side of the door. No screams or moans, just a soft whisper. Then more could be heard.
 
"We'll be happier if you open the door."
"It will be better for you to give up now."
"Or just give us your wife."
 
They tapped on the door, trying to fool him into giving up. He heard that the of zombies would drive people insane, but this was worse, a siren call. He heard Joohyun stirred from her sleep only to fall back into another round of unconsciousness. He used a mirror to peek under the door, he was greeted by horrible unblinking eyes with blood smeared faces smiling back at him. 
 
Forty-eight hours of horrible whispers and he did not know if he could take any more. 
 
Perhaps it would not be so bad, he thought, putting his hands on the door knob.