2.

  / RPING REFLECTIONS. : send in your thoughts.

                COUNTDOWN CRAZY / OLD ROLEPLAYERS
Wow. It seems like everyone is just countdown crazy, huh? The growing trend seemed to have blossomed after AFFRP, "Haven" decided to open up with a countdown. Even before that specific roleplay, countdowns were a thing. They just weren't as-- I guess iconic as they are now.

I have seen a growing increase in them, not only in AFF roleplays but twitter based roleplays as well. Not quite sure about facebook though. Let me know down below in the comments.

Anyways, what is my take on them? Well, based on my opinion, it seems as if you can't open a roleplay that will get instantly popular and active without some sort of countdown or hype to it these days. I have experimented and more people are excited to join a RP with a message and countdown then a roleplay that just comes about the roleplay tags with no message or countdown until the official opening.

The countdowns themselves are not a problem, honestly. More or less, I have a problem with some of the messages. Many ( not all, many ) claiming to want to bring the  "old days of roleplaying" back, as if the old days were perfect times and no trouble arose back a few months 

and even years ago.
Ha. Ha. Ha. That is hilarious.

Yes, I will admit that roleplaying is EXTREMELY different now then it was before. BUT - back 2 years ago, things weren't perfect. There was "facechasers" and biased replies and rude roleplayers. All of that existed. It just wasn't punished as much or wasn't put in the spotlight as much as it is now. These days, you see roleplays with rules that say "No facechasing". ( And I am not saying this is wrong ). I remember one roleplay that had a whole chapter about it on their story thread. The point is, people decided to say "Hey, this is wrong." and even coin a term for it. 

But trying to bring the old days back with a countdown and message is not going to work. And the old days won't come back unless the old roleplayers decide to resurface. Many new roleplayers have sprung up and decided to join the roleplaying world. Nothing wrong with that. Some of them are just younger and have their way of acting that older roleplayers - dislike. 

And even if the so called "veteran roleplayers" decide to make a comeback, there will still be biased replies, facechasers, drama, etc. It's not going to instantly disappear. It's always existed! And it will continue existing! We can't control everyone's personality. No matter how tough an admin is, you can't do that. People don't like that. And sure, they will leave, but more people who sport these attitudes will come about and join the roleplay. So trying to fight it is not the best idea.

And a lot of people do these things but are COMPLETELY unaware of what they are doing. They are just innocently roleplaying the way they feel like roleplaying.

I digress, some messages seem generic and overused. But some seem truly genuine and the admins writing these messages really want to make a successful roleplay. And some truly believe that this is the way to bring the old days of roleplaying back. Which is fine. But I do think that some of the admins believe that following the countdown trend will make their roleplay successful. ( and as I said before, it does seem like it ). But a successful roleplay consists of active and brilliant admins, roleplayers willing to be active as well, and just well-rounded organization amongst everyone in the roleplay. Otherwise, with a countdown or not, your roleplay will die.

Now, I am not saying if you try to create a roleplay without a countdown or message, it will NOT be successful. It just seems as many roleplayers are all in for the countdowns and it just makes them more eager to join the roleplays, seeing that a majority of the newer ones open up with countdowns and messages.

I also got to give props to the admins opening up roleplays with these countdowns, they are getting a lot of negative criticism as well. And even though countdowns are not delightful to my taste, they are willing to accept the bashing and open up the roleplay, which is nice.